Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What Trans Do You Prefer?
6-Speed Manual 105 29.41%
6-Speed ZF Automatic 252 70.59%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #211
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I didn't realise an auto restricts the exhaust.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #212
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Speaking of exhaust and ZF's. Since I got my exhaust done (Tuesday), I've been playing with rev matching between shifts. YES it can be done. Takes some timing and practice. But you can get a satisfying throttle blip and matched revs on downshifts, and a wheel spin between gears on upshifts with a quick right foot action.

So nah nah to manual owners. Us ZF owners have it all

Ford Performance Club of ACT
Old 04-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #213
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
No but I agree with NZTS50.

There is a point in between the auto changing gears that sounds like crap. I dont know what the term is, but the is a slight lag. And if you have a loudish exhaust note you can hear it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #214
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
Speaking of exhaust and ZF's. Since I got my exhaust done (Tuesday), I've been playing with rev matching between shifts. YES it can be done. Takes some timing and practice. But you can get a satisfying throttle blip and matched revs on downshifts, and a wheel spin between gears on upshifts with a quick right foot action.

So nah nah to manual owners. Us ZF owners have it all
LMAO! I'm sure it can be done with the ZF. I could do it in my RSK-B4 tiptronic, it's not hard and definitely no comparison to driving a manual and rev matching. I gave up doing it in my Subaru because I felt like a bit of a knob when I had friends in the car. I basically told myself, it's not a manual it's an auto, don't waste my time. Yupe, you guys have it all.

.........Except the clutch pedal aka skill/man pedal. : :evilsasmo
Old 04-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #215
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Wink

Quote:
I think you read that wrong..... : I can't see anywhere where I said it restricts exhaust, I didn't even mention exhaust. But as Polyal pointed out, when you do get an exhaust this slop between gears is more obvious. Instead of people drooling and not knowing what trans it has due to the exhuast being quiet or stock, the old phrase will come out: "Nice Ford!, V8, GT-P? Black........and......Oh. It's an auto" or "Poo, an auto".

Hearing a manual 8 take off is what gets people going. Hearing the car take off in 1st then the nice rumble-backfire between gear into 2nd then double clutch quickly into 3rd for a bit of show boating, awesome. I love my TS50 and nothing against auto owners, TS/E50 owners especially but I couldn't imagine driving anything but a manual. The car sounds like a bathurst car, the famous Windsor roar and having that change by itself and slop between gears would not be fun at all IMO. I love going out for drives after watching V8 Supercars on TV. The in-car shots of them changing gears makes me itch for a drive, I wouldn't be as excited going out to put the car into [D] and just sit there, I like driving the car around corners and long straights going up & down the gears just like the in-car shots. Makes me feel at one with the car and is just plain fun. I guess there are 3 kinds of people. Auto drivers, Manual drivers and people who can't drive.

Though, I'm still keen to test drive the ZF to see what all the fuss is about.
I know for a fact I won't enjoy it, but, I may like the way it drives but autos are autos. Doesn't matter how many gears or how quick it reacts, it is still an auto, two pedals, no true driving pleasure.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #216
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

What a crock, you may believe what you write but don't try and make out like it's gospel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ NZTS50 ]
I think you read that wrong..... : I can't see anywhere where I said it restricts exhaust, I didn't even mention exhaust.
Well what sound are you talking about ? the sound of a gearbox shifting ?
Like a badd *** powershift sound ? e

Quote:
Originally Posted by '[ NZTS50
'People seem to forget too that Autos sound like crap unless they are purebred track cars, shift kits, high stalls race bands etc.....even then it still sounds plops. Hear a manual on the street, track or where-ever and it sounds soooooooo much better. Going through gears, no lagging slop sound between gears.......
Old 04-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #217
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
No but I agree with NZTS50.

There is a point in between the auto changing gears that sounds like crap. I dont know what the term is, but the is a slight lag. And if you have a loudish exhaust note you can hear it.
I dont get what you mean?
Go to the drags and listen to the auto's and manuals racing,you will hear a lot more "lag" as you call it between the shifts of a synchro manual than an auto.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #218
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Quote:
What a crock, you may believe what you write but don't try and make out like it's gospel.

Well what sound are you talking about ? the sound of a gearbox shifting ?
Like a badd ar$e powershift sound ? e
No need to get in a twist, yes, like all auto boxes the sound between gears when it changes it's ugly IMO. Power-shifting? Bad ****? : I never said "bad ar$e power-shifting" mate so you can make up all you want. If you think power-shifting is "bad ar$e" that's nice. It's just a shift, look at Firefox, he uses it well and says without shifting during track events you can lose 20 seconds a race, hence the reason he does well at the track compared to other TS50 drivers who speed shift. Gospel? LOL Your words mate not mine. If you read into it as gospel that's your problem, it's opinion like every post on any board. Look, I'm not here to talk big on a board, you have your thoughts on the gear boxes, so do I. Who's to say who's right and who's wrong? No one.

If you want to moan and bltch about the smallest things on the planet and start picking a fight on pointless matters feel free to PM me and we can talk about anything you like.

BTT ................
Old 04-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #219
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
yes, like all auto boxes the sound between gears when it changes it's ugly IMO. Power-shifting? Bad ****?
What sound is this?
Dosent the engine make all sound,how does the gearbox affect this?
Unless you mean the sound that comes from those that cant drive,so when they change gears they lift the throttle before they depress the clutch and so get the compression braking sound..
Old 04-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #220
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I dont get what you mean?
Go to the drags and listen to the auto's and manuals racing,you will hear a lot more "lag" as you call it between the shifts of a synchro manual than an auto.
I agree, but those are worked autos at WOT. I mean driving around normally on the streets. Some sound awesome but only under full throttle where-as manuals sound sporty at any speed or rpm. But I do agree worked autos especially the C4, 727 and Powerglide variety are great transmissions.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #221
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Quote:
What sound is this?
Dosent the engine make all sound,how does the gearbox affect this?
Unless you mean the sound that comes from those that cant drive,so when they change gears they lift the throttle before they depress the clutch and so get the compression braking sound..
The torque converter is what effects the sound I'm guessing. That or the bands. Not sure what it is but if you have to ask what sound it is? Listen to the Honda "racers" or what-not have auto boxes, it's easier to hear it drop. It's the rpm drop. You can make a manual make any sound you like, good or bad driving you can basically make it sing if you want, hence the reason I like them...more fun and things to do IMO.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #222
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
The torque converter is what effects the sound I'm guessing. That or the bands. Not sure what it is but if you have to ask what sound it is? Listen to the Honda "racers" or what-not have auto boxes, it's easier to hear it drop. It's the rpm drop. You can make a manual make any sound you like, good or bad driving you can basically make it sing if you want, hence the reason I like them...more fun and things to do IMO.
Ummm?WTF?
Honda racers and torque convertors?
Any box has an rpm drop some less than others,the ZF 6spd will have less rpm drop than a 5spd manual thats for sure..
Old 04-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #223
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

You mean the sound of a flat shift? (no RPM drop)

Do you do that every day, every shift?

Old 04-03-2007, 05:26 PM   #224
nugget378
Weezland

Even flat shifting will have an rpm drop,the simple fact of going into a higher gear will have to drop rpm's
Old 04-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #225
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Quote:
Ummm?WTF?
Honda racers and torque convertors?
Any box has an rpm drop some less than others,the ZF 6spd will have less rpm drop than a 5spd auto thats for sure..
You guys like making nothing into something eh..... _

I said, "The torque converter is what effects the sound I'm guessing" not in the same sentence as Honda's as you're trying to make out. I said Honda's because you can hear their whiny rpm drop easier through the fart can. Yes, any automatic has the drop, that's my point.

BTT....
Old 04-03-2007, 05:29 PM   #226
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Nope not every day every shift.....of course not. If you guys have to ask the difference in what an auto sounds like vs a manual there is no point in trying to explain it. You know the sound or you don't. I sure as hell know the difference. Of course there will always be a drop but no where as much in a manual and it sounds totally different. If there were no rpm drops we'd all have 1 speed automatics.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #227
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
You guys like making nothing into something eh..... _

I said, "The torque converter is what effects the sound I'm guessing" not in the same sentence as Honda's as you're trying to make out. I said Honda's because you can hear their whiny rpm drop easier through the fart can. Yes, any automatic has the drop, that's my point.

BTT....
No mate,just like things to make sense,what was posted before made no sense at all,rpm drop is because of gearing,not whether manual or auto.
would a 3 on the tree manual in an old kingswood have less rpm drop than a 5 or 6 spd auto?
I dont think so..
As the Lady once said,please explain..
Old 04-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #228
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Wink

Quote:
No mate,just like things to make sense,what was posted above made no sense at all,rpm drop is because of gearing,not whether manual or auto.
would a 3 on the tree manual in an old kingswood have less rpm drop than a 5 or 6 spd auto?
I dont think so..
As the Lady once said,please explain..
I have no idea why their is a difference but like I have already said. There is no point trying to explain the difference in the sounds. It's there for all ears to hear. I feel some auto owners just don't want to acknowledge the fact. All my auto cars had it and mine does now. Listen to any automatic car at normal driving speeds and it's obvious. IMO it sounds sluggish and sloppy. Guess that's why many refer to them as slushboxes, that and because the old autos especially take so much hp away from the rear wheel figure. It is there, so, I'm I taking it you can't tell the difference between a XR8 auto and an XR8 manual going past? I think it's just the entire gear change vs the two boxes. Manuals sound better going through gears IMO and a lot of other peoples opinions. I'm biased towards manuals but I still own autos, have 2, performance and one stock
Old 04-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #229
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

If anything a torque converter auto can have LESS of an RPM drop than a manual (assuming gear ratios are identical), as the TC can 'absorb' some of the extra RPM - alternatively you'd let the clutch slip some.

Mr. TS50, I'm afraid you're not making sense. Surely an example can be sourced.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:45 PM   #230
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
If anything a torque converter auto can have LESS of an RPM drop than a manual (assuming gear ratios are identical), as the TC can 'absorb' some of the extra RPM - alternatively you'd let the clutch slip some.

Mr. TS50, I'm afraid you're not making sense. Surely an example can be sourced.
See my post above yours.....I'm not going to explain the differences between auto gear boxes and manual boxes, sounds. Feel free to Google it. Manuals IMO sound better, thought there would be more Manual men on this board who would voice the same opinion......automatics being the preferred choice on a Ford forum? Who would have thought the day would come...... :(
Old 04-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #231
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Cool

OK...for those that can't tell the difference here are some videos.
In your opinion, which one do you think sounds better between gears...... :

No contest - Manual

Manual - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn-Uz1tZoP8

Auto - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8hsN1WJIKU

As if videos and 5 minutes will make you know the difference, you either know or you don't.
But they're cool videos and there is nothing anyone can pick and twist their panties too or moan about.

Cheers!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #232
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
I have no idea why their is a difference but like I have already said. There is no point trying to explain the difference in the sounds. It's there for all ears to hear. I feel some auto owners just don't want to acknowledge the fact. All my auto cars had it and mine does now. Listen to any automatic car at normal driving speeds and it's obvious. IMO it sounds sluggish and sloppy. Guess that's why many refer to them as slushboxes, that and because the old autos especially take so much hp away from the rear wheel figure. It is there, so, I'm I taking it you can't tell the difference between a XR8 auto and an XR8 manual going past? I think it's just the entire gear change vs the two boxes. Manuals sound better going through gears IMO and a lot of other peoples opinions. I'm biased towards manuals but I still own autos, have 2, performance and one stock
geez you assume alot.
FYI my cars are manuals,and I race them hard,hard enough that ive blown up a TKO600 twice and stuffed synchro's another time.
The engine makes the sound thats it,gearboxes dont make any noise of note.
A high stall auto will always be on the convertor at WOT and will never drop below those revs.
Ive never been much on sounds anyway,thats the bastion of ricers IMO,I prefer performance..
Old 04-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #233
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
'....automatics being the preferred choice on a Ford forum? Who would have thought the day would come...... :(
Have you driven a 6 speed auto?
I have followed 10 pages of mostly your thoughts and assumptions, you find it hard to get a grip that people mostly prefer the auto, time to move on, nothing new in this thread except the same argument that you lost for the last 10 pages ago.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 04-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #234
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Cool

Nope, haven't driven the 6-speed automatic. This whole thread is "thoughts and assumptions" mate, it's a forum. I don't see I have lost an argument, all I see is a poll tampered with (by some sissy), so no result can be taken. "Lost" : Yupe......I'm the real loser here because I prefer manuals....... : On that note time for a drive......lock the thread if you want it turned into a manual vs auto debate a while back. Opinion vs opinion will never go far.

ZF sounds great and I will take a test drive soon enough...not in any hurry.
Well done to Ford for giving us two great transmissions.

Sounds? I'll take both performance and sound. If I didn't like sounds I wouldn't be a fan of V8's either. Sound is a lot to me. Looks, sound & performance is a must and I won't own anything that hasn't got all three (and then some).

Cheers!!!! ;)
Old 04-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #235
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Hear that? Listen closely! Its the sound of me closing another pointless thread.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Closed Thread