Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-05-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
Forest Bear

Default Mucho expensivo pothole.

I hit a pothole that came out of nowhere. Well, the sun was directly in front of me. The rear tyre blistered and the rear rim dented. 17 inch Zetec alloys from 2005 model.

Beaurepairs told me I needed 1 new tyre and two new rims. The tyres have 36k on them. I didn't want 3 old and 1 new set of tyres so I got them to order two new rims and tyres, exactly like factory.

All up $1940. Ouch ouch. Too much or about right?

Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Well, if you have already ordered everything do you want to be told it's too much??

My house mate just had the same thing happen 2 nights ago. 2 blow outs, 2 dented rims. The rims were repaired at 'around 120 each' (still not ready) and got a pair of 2nd hand tyres at around 60 each to match the other sides tread depth.

Still under review if the RTA / Council will help with the bill.

Any images of the damage?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

I paid $1900 all up for my new rims and tyres and I reckon they look better than any stock rim on the focus.

Have nailed a few gnarly potholes too recently which have done a bit of damage, nothin major but I'm still not happy about it.

Part of the "fun" of living in sydney.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Forest Bear, a set of 4 new Zetec wheels only cost around $900 from Ford. That seems a bit steep for only 2 rims and tyres.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i think he may have bought 4 new tyrs as well??? No?

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
Forest Bear

I was quoted by Ford Parts and Beaurepairs....

1 2005 17 Zetec Rims are $650 each!
1 Goodyear NCT that came with original $290 each

$1940 for two new Zetec 05 rims and two new goodyear tyres. Fitted. Balanced etc.

I'll keep the old wheels.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
BlackLS
yum

All my 4 LS Zetec 17" wheels are buckled. I've done about 115,000kms on them.

I got the same quote from Ford.

You'd be better off going a reputable after-market brand

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What I want to know is Why should we the Car Drivers pay for the Councils lack of Road maintenance as should we not expect that Roads are ok to Drive on?

I think the Council or whoever looks after the Roads in your area should pay Damages from this sort of thing.

Anyway those Rims are so Expensive, if you want the same Rims try Ebay or what I would do is get a whole new set of aftermarket rims & 2 new tyres.

Still cheaper than these Focus Rims & would most likely look Better anyway.
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Tell them to take at look at Ford's website and then give you a new price:

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...Page&c=DFYPage

$952 for a set of 4 no joke. I bought them myself a few months ago.

Secondly, you don't really want Goodyear NCT5s for that price do you? They are average tyres at best and for that price a rip off.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
Forest Bear

Two rims. Two new tyres. (at 37,000km) I personally like the 2005 Zetec rims. The new NCT5's have extra rubber on the shoulders to protect rim from curb damage. I don't mind the NCT5. I like spirited driving but the streets aren't my personal track so they suit me fine.

I'll keep them on the front. At least it'll be less of a shock having to replace two instead of four new tyres down the track.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #11
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

The damage doesn't look too bad. Aren't there wheel places that can straighten it??
Old 13-05-2008, 08:35 PM   #12
BlackLS
yum

Throw some black steelies on the front and keep the good rims on the back :P

All my 4 rims look like the above pic. Balance goes bad after about 5,000kms.

Lovin the slippers and socks.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
Forest Bear

Car felt broken with these wheels. Both wheels wrecked on the left side. So the blokes at beaurepairs moved the bad ones back and good ones to the front temporarily.

At least the wrecked ones had nasty curb damage. Now I have 4 scratch free rims. It feels balanced and smooth. Can enter the corners at speed again.
Old 20-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #14
christo_fiesta

id hassle the council - get them to re-emburse you

i saw a thing on today tonight ages ago where people wrote letters to their local coucil and got money paid to them for their cars due to the bad roads. It makes sense, you pay tax to maintain the roads, they dont hold up their end of the bargain...so you complain and get money.

Same thing happened to me in a shopping centre 2 years ago. I wrote to the council, they told me to hassle the shopping centre as it was private land. Shopping centre cut me a cheque within 2 days for the full amount of repairs.

Good luck...
christo_fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post