Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-03-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Question DTE Question ???????

Was just wondering if anyone knows how many litres is still in the tank when the DTE reads '0', will it actually be empty at 0 DTE or is there still a few litres in the tank just incase ? .. not that i run it down to 0 ! , was just wondering , cheers ?????

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

well i did test this on on my gas ute....when the senders were actually working(and 5th lot of them are still working yeah!!!) but at zero it meat there were 5ltrs left in the tank on average....did it about 8times.
not sure how it transforms to petrol but there's my 2cents.
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

my DTe is all over the place,, I have had 0 and drove 5 kays atleast.. The thing went from 35 to zero on one hill, so I chanced it ..

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

The lowest I had DTE was 5, and didn't want to chance it then...
Old 20-03-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Did a test of it in my BA XR8 and had another 50k until it died after it said 0, that was being gentle on the accelerator of course. I normally find about 8 litres still in the tank if the guage says empty.
Old 20-03-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i had mine on 0 for 13 kms and i filled it up to the brim and it took 71 litres (68 litre tank in the sedan) and i normally only fit 69 in when i get to DTE 40
Old 20-03-2006, 07:51 PM   #7
stiddy
Banned

Mine was on 0, and I went for another 10km's, and when I filled up it took 67 litres.. also a 68L tank..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #8
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

If i let mine get below 10 on DTE it will take ages for it to get to where it should be. DTE changes depending on the way u drive it.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 10:25 PM   #9
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is no definate amount of fuel left. The DTE is only a calculation base on current fuel level, current driving conditions & previous driving conditions. I have driven over 70 highway kays with DTE saying 0 in a AUII XR6 VCT on one trip to Melb, but on another trip with exactly the same destinations I ran out with DTE showing 8 in exactly the same car.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 10:35 PM   #10
mattsAU1

got a mate who's car actually ran out of fuel when his dte said he had 46 kms to go, haven't let mine beep at me since then, dont trust it much at all. it was an AU2 ute for the record.
mattsAU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #11
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I have driven for 16km when the DTE has said 0. I have also stalled the car with lack of fuel when the DTE said 16km.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 12:01 AM   #12
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Put the dash in diag mode and use the digital read out for fuel level, very accurate, just filled mine up today.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 12:21 AM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I've driven about 10kms on DTE 0 once (did not enjoy doing that at all) yet I've also run out of fuel with DTE showing 63kms. I dont trust it one bit now. I go by the gauge.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 12:36 AM   #14
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guage and the unbuffered fuel level (diag mode) are your friends
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #15
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I've driven several km's on zero DTE but I really don't like doing it.

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #16
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsAU1
got a mate who's car actually ran out of fuel when his dte said he had 46 kms to go, haven't let mine beep at me since then, dont trust it much at all. it was an AU2 ute for the record.

Our DTE is all over the place. I know it varies depending on conditions, but our has run out of fuel with the guage showing half a tank and DTE at a few hundred km's to go, and has registered full on the fuel guage with about 500km DTE on an empty tank :
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 01:06 AM   #17
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I've driven it over 10km before - but I had no idea how empty it was. Actually, the last few months i've seen that 0 a few times...
Old 21-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #18
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Holly Kaboodles ! ..lol , thanks guys for the responses. I didn't realise it could go that much out of whack that it could say you have so many k's till empty but actually run out ! . I've had mine down to DTE 4 ( this morning be4 filling up ), I think after reading all these comments thats the lowest it will ever go again if i can help it !. At DTE 4 too also my petrol guage needle was to the hard left just in the red ( nearlly not on the red at all ), which is the main thing i watch anyway to check fuel.
Also thanks for mentioning about checking in diag mode for a more accurate reading, i forgot all about that ;) , when low on fuel it could make all the difference between actually knowing if i'll making it to the servo or have to pushing the car ! ..lol .. thanks again everyone ;) .
Just on this note too.. I gotta say even after driving a small 4 cylinder for a while which was costing me about $30 a week max to run (little ford lazer), now with this I6 im using as much as up2 $120 a week in fuel adverage ! (i probably am doing a few more k's now aswell , but not much more), sheeze i remember years back i could run my old fully worked v8 XE cheaper than the lazer ( when i had it on straight gas ), and only a tadd more than the lazer when it used fuel , nowerdays these rediculous fuel prices are driving me broke nearlly.. I was sooooooooooooooooo close to getting an XR8 , im glad i didn't now ! , i know they don't use much more fuel than the I6 vct anyway , but i couldn't afford to spend anymore on fuel a week anyway - and not that i'de want to either ! .Are petrol prices getting up your nose too latelly ????

Old 21-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #19
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

oh, and if you take your car drag racing the DTE goes mental. 1/4 tank and less than 20 in the DTE ahahahahah

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #20
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
oh, and if you take your car drag racing the DTE goes mental. 1/4 tank and less than 20 in the DTE ahahahahah
lol , good point ! - i could see how that would effect the DTE in a mojor way ..lol

Old 22-03-2006, 12:50 AM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My DTE currently shows around 91, and hardly moves at all - in fact, I get heaps and heaps of kms out of a tank before I need to fill up with Petrol! OK, so I cheated - I run on LPG most of the time, and it doesn't work out the DTE at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
.... using as much as up2 $120 a week in fuel average !
Exactly why I got my XR8 converted to LPG. I get 350kms odd out of a tank of LPG and it costs $40 to fill at 65.9 c/L. On petrol, I was getting maybe 400 odd out of a tank, and it was costing me $80 odd to fill (at $1.20 /L)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 08:50 AM   #22
HLC
Audi S3

i let the DTE get to 11 once, and the car wouldnt start.... took like heaps of goes, and then only put like 63 litres in it.

just the other week i pulled up to teh servo with the DTE saying 60 odd i put 65 litres in the tank. oh well.

i get 450+ kays out of a tank.
Old 23-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #23
janek
Ripping it up

lol, my dte said 0 for about 80 km... i was on the highway, the next fuel was newcastle. i had to push it. but that was straight line cruising at 90

another 800km tank
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

My DTE says 0 at the moment .... but I am getting an extra 500km past that though .... LOL
I don't believe what my cluster guage says ... I go by what it says on the side of the tanks under the back.

Looks like it's an issue with cabling from the tank back to the cluster .... or a wacko gauge in the cluster (so might be up for a cluster change) ... anyone in Sydney with a spare standard cluster I could test with????
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #25
janek
Ripping it up

i got my ghia cluster or an au1 xr...
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 03:21 PM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

damn .... I am after an SII standard cluster ... although the S1 standard cluster might be fine to test with ... but it uses a different LCD display.

I'll figure it out eventually though ... will get the auto electrician look at it and work thier way from the tanks to the cluster and see whats going on.
Old 23-03-2006, 03:30 PM   #27
BlackLS

On the EF, it could drive for another 35km after the guage went below 0 (below the red zone) before its started stuttering

Generally when the DTE reaches 0 you can do 40 or so more km.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #28
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

if your gauge works ... I have also had a DTE of 200 (or thereabouts) ... and ran out totally ... (I was not amused)
Old 23-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #29
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

i don't follow mine at all, i was driving down the coast 600 km trip or so and when i'd done 400 it was telling me i could get another 500 out a 1/4 tank... think it's accurate or what??