Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Watch out what oil you put in your Maserati

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12193297

Quote:
A man whose Maserati shook, shuddered and sounded like a "tractor" when it broke down has failed to force the car's seller to refund the purchase price after wrong oil was put in it.

Auckland company C&P Beauty Services bought the Maserati Ghibli for $87,400 in April 2017 with fewer than 9000km on the clock.

But 10 months later, it broke down and now requires an engine overhaul, expected to cost "many thousands of dollars".

Snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

evin Jin, a director of GT Auto Force, told the tribunal he had put Fuchs 5W/30 oil based on Fuchs' recommendation.

Tang said the car's manual also recommended the use of Fuchs 5W/30 oil and that he had received an email from Fuchs Lubricants New Zealand also stating the oil met the requirements for the car.

However, tribunal adjudicator Carter said the car's owner's manual had been superseded by a bulletin issued by Maserati in May 2017 recommending that only 5W/40 oil be used.

"Unfortunately for C&P Beauty Services, neither GT Auto Source or Fuchs NZ seems to have been aware of this change in oil specification. This is a significant shortcoming," he said.

"I consider that servicing agents and suppliers of engine oil should ensure that the oil used, or recommended for use, complies with the current manufacturer's specification."

Carter consequently did not order NZ Motor Sports Imports to refund the car's almost $90,000 purchase price to C&P Beauty Services.

"C&P Beauty Services will undoubtedly feel aggrieved at this outcome," he said.

"However, although C&P Beauty Services cannot be criticised for relying on the expertise of GT Auto Source and Fuchs NZ in choosing what oil to use in the vehicle, it must nonetheless take responsibility for the actions of its agents."

He said it was not this tribunal's job to determine "what, if any, responsibility GT Auto Source and/or Fuchs NZ" should have for the damage to the engine.

That instead was a matter "C&P Beauty Services may choose to explore separately", Carter said.
Old 20-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Watch out what oil you put in your Maserati

He went after the wrong people, it had nothing to do with the dealership who sold him the car.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-01-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Should be going after Fuchs not the dealer, but surely there has to be more to it than just 5W-30 v 5W-40 that would cause a complete engine failure.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^ Agree. Me thinks there is more to this story...
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #5
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about Maserati changing oil specs on the fly?

Quote:
the car's owner's manual had been superseded by a bulletin issued by Maserati in May 2017 recommending that only 5W/40 oil be used.

"Unfortunately for C&P Beauty Services, neither GT Auto Source or Fuchs NZ seems to have been aware of this change in oil specification. This is a significant shortcoming,"
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a problem that I will never have to worry about!
Old 20-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

When I buy oil for my car now, I always ensure that the oil meets the latest specification recommended by the manufacturer.
This is getting especially important on newer cars and those with direct injection.

With newer Fords like the Rangers and Mustangs the spec is now WSS-MSC913-D, up from the older MSC913-A, B & C designations.

Unless it states this on the oil container label or the oil maker's website/literature, I don't buy it.

GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #8
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
When I buy oil for my car now, I always ensure that the oil meets the latest specification recommended by the manufacturer.
This is getting especially important on newer cars and those with direct injection.

With newer Fords like the Rangers and Mustangs the spec is now WSS-MSC913-D, up from the older MSC913-A, B & C designations.

Unless it states this on the oil container label or the oil maker's website/literature, I don't buy it.

It's a minefield...

Quote:
Cars, Wagons, Utilities & Car-type 4-Wheel Drives
FORD
Mustang GT, FN Series 5.0 Litre V8 Engine (2018-2019)
Crankcase
Service Refill Capacity: 9.5* Litres
* - including oil filter
Refer Castrol Technical Department 0800 10 40 60
Note
Manufacturer recommends 5W-20 engine oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C948-B. Refer to Dealer for CASTROL MAGNATEC PROFESSIONAL E 5W-20.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post

which makes me wonder about older engines after rebuilds, like 5.0 & 5.6 Windsors,
I don't think I'd like to run 5W30 in them, maybe 15W40 is as far as I'd go.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
It's a minefield..
Or a confusing oil field.
Old 20-01-2019, 08:23 PM   #11
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An extra 10 weight oil won't cause an engine to blow up, letalone do it in such a short period of time.
Maybe if he used castrol gtx 20w/50 or something.

There must of been something else wrong with the engine i suspect.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Might also have been mineral oil rather than synthetic oil.

Quote:
Winger Maserati later stripped the car's engine down and found its pistons had overheated because of "insufficient lubrication".

It concluded this was due to the use of Fuchs 5W/30 oil, when the car should instead only be filled with fully synthetic 5W/40 oil.
Old 20-01-2019, 08:34 PM   #13
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Oils ain't oils

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Perhaps Fuchs will come to the party and admit it fuched up.
Old 20-01-2019, 09:17 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Winger Maserati later stripped the car's engine down and found its pistons had overheated because of "insufficient lubrication".

It concluded this was due to the use of Fuchs 5W/30 oil, when the car should instead only be filled with fully synthetic 5W/40 oil.
That sounds a little odd, I wonder if it ran dry at sometime........
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2019, 10:02 PM   #16
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

warning potential banning heading my way...
the research in NZ newspapers Ive found articles relating to this the owners are of a pushy asian country, the seller is also of dubious nationality.

there is more to this than we suspect....
Old 20-01-2019, 10:12 PM   #17
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The act of the oil change may have caused a problem, or perhaps prior engine condition or treatment of said engine/vehicle, which, it appears, was not proven in court.

it is very, very, very unlikely 5w30 would cause damage in lieu of a 5w40 oil (even if a spec change made post vehicle release says so)

Ford changed the spec in the V8 RTV its no big deal -20 was a USA spec oil to meet fuel economy targets, thats all.

I wonder if for a moment during the oil change, a 4.2 wanted to become a 4.7 "dry sump", certainly sounds like it went dry...

Last edited by 383hq; 20-01-2019 at 10:41 PM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #18
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

We could all probably get ford to rebuild failed engines!! Every dealer uses different grades, and each car gets what ever they have in the workshop at that time..
Old 21-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

No way the slightly different oil spec caused this. More likely who ever did the oil change didn't put enough oil in, or for whatever reason they forgot to fill it at all.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #20
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
No way the slightly different oil spec caused this. More likely who ever did the oil change didn't put enough oil in, or for whatever reason they forgot to fill it at all.
Highly likely, I read another article that the oil was used as a top up. not for a service.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2019, 12:06 AM   #21
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So in 2017 you put that grade oil in and it purrs like a kitten. Put the same grade in now and it goes south? Ummmm OK. Me thinks 3 sides to every story.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2019, 01:28 AM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

More details in the form of the case summary here: http://www.nzlii.org/nz/cases/NZMVDT/2018/304.html

Quote:
What, if any, responsibility GT Auto Source and/or Fuchs NZ should then have for the damage to the engine is not for this Tribunal to determine, and is a matter that C&P Beauty Services may choose to explore separately.
One suspects the owner will pursuing other avenues to extract damages from other parties.

Last edited by aussiblue; 22-01-2019 at 01:43 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2019, 01:52 AM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

You would think that at least Maserati would have put out a recall notices and given owners a free oil change when they changed the oil specifications.
Old 22-01-2019, 02:17 AM   #24
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Lack of lubricant and lack of lubrication are two different failure mechanisms.

I bet everything I own the engine didnt fail from the wrong grade of oil. Somehow 4 and 5 got a lack of lubrication. Could be many issues.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2019, 08:17 AM   #25
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of people these days have no idea about anything other than the tits and knobs inside the car , they drive from service to service without even lifting the bonnet......ive heard of people that put oil in it when the oil light comes on ? or if theyre lucky low oil light

My young fella has a company vehicle (leased) volkswagen golf , just after he got it all the bells and whistles came on , he called the mechanic out , just low on oil ....fill it up ,carry on

it will be something like that....guarantee it

Makes me laugh you see people all the time stopped up a hill steam pouring out ....because most people only check the plastic bottle (and very rarely) never take the radiator cap off ....as soon as it gets a slight leak it doesnt suck from the bottle

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2019, 08:53 AM   #26
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Italian car broke down ... who'da thunk it ...
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #27
ad2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
More details in the form of the case summary here: http://www.nzlii.org/nz/cases/NZMVDT/2018/304.html

One suspects the owner will pursuing other avenues to extract damages from other parties.
Interesting read! Relevant to me as I own a 2014 Holden Colorado and note that the original manufacturers spec and owner manual specified 5W30 Dexos 2 spec oil for the diesel 2.8 engine, but after some oil consumption issues GMH changed it to 5W40. I received a new oil filler point cap with 5W40 marked on it and a 5W40 sticker in the owners manual at one stage when it went in for a service at a Holden dealership. However, I didn't see any notification from GMH to me as an owner, and if I hadn't been a forum user/member and/or was getting my vehicle serviced at a non Holden dealership I doubt I'd have woken up to the issue.

Last edited by ad2013; 22-01-2019 at 10:38 AM. Reason: more detail
ad2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2019, 12:08 PM   #28
Pis-ton broke
Banned

they could have used this oil , i got it from peps auto narellan , (s,w, sydney)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0746.jpg (149.9 KB, 73 views)
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #29
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
they could have used this oil , i got it from peps auto narellan , (s,w, sydney)
I've been looking for that brand.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
I believe Holden also rebrand that oil as their own
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post