Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-02-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

Default David Flint Is Gone........

Just read the paper.....( hoping this is not true ) David Richards has done a major overhaul within FPV.....David Flint has been given an excellerated retirement while the FPR manager John Russel......resigned last night.

All I can say is.....it's a sad day to see David Flint go. He has given us some Kick *** cars over the years & he is a top bloke too.....very sad day.

Cheers.
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 10:03 AM   #2
paul7v7
bring it on

WTF? This really is a sad day indeed if true. Looks to me that Dave Richards isn't impressed about all the bad publicity.
Old 16-02-2005, 10:03 AM   #3
rob_o

So who's filled David's boots? Is there an internet article about this?
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #4
T3man
Banned

... I am not at all surprised ... just hope FPV can regain the direction that Tickford once had ...
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 10:28 AM   #5
JR.
Once more with feeling

John Russell's resignation was actually announced a couple of days ago in a short press release.

What paper was this story in?
Old 16-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
... I am not at all surprised ... just hope FPV can regain the direction that Tickford once had ...
You guys will look for any opportunity for some unecessary Tickford vs FPV rhetoric. Leave it rest!!!

Wishing David Flint all the best for the future, and a big thankyou for all that HAS been achieved during his time at Tickford/FPV many fine cars have been produced under both badges.

Lets hope David's sucessor is given the scope and support for bigger and better things.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 10:34 AM   #7
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I agree that David flint was a top bloke, and gave us some kick *** cars, but he has to take some responsibility for the poor customer relations. I mean how many people that have these lovely FPV / Tickford vehicles, when they have troubles, they only get the run around. Better custer backu is required from this company.
As I have said before, its easier to sell a car to an existing happy customer than it it is to a new customer. Is almost impossible to sell a car to an existing unhappy customer.

Anyway David , we will miss you, you have changed the outlook of Ford vehicles, actually gave us vehicles we can be proud off
TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 10:36 AM   #8
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR.
John Russell's resignation was actually announced a couple of days ago in a short press release.

What paper was this story in?

Page 7 in the latest Auto Action....

Cheers.
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #9
james

so who is taking over. maybe the F6 clutch was the last straw ???
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 11:08 AM   #10
XRchic
Hello

I will believe it when I read it with my own eyes. Not saying you guys are wrong, just I would like to read it before coming to any conclusion. Does someone have a link???

If it is true, then it's a sad day. Despite the problems with F6s and clutches, and some poor customer relations issue, I think David Flint did a lot for Ford and I liked how he got so involved with the masses, like at the V8 Supercar series and such.. and I will always remember his quotes in various mags:"Torque curve flatter than a witch's tit" I think was one...

I know there are customer service issues, and dont know how much of that he is directly responsible for, but given it all has to come back to him. However, I wrote him and Geoff Polites a letter complaining about some issues with my car (there was an FPV issue), and David Flint rang me at work, personally, and had a chat to me for quite a while about various things. I wont forget that in a hurry.

So if it's true, then I will be sorry to see him go and I hope his successor can fill his shoes and perhaps have a better run with luck.

All the best David, good luck for your future, if this is all true!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #11
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
.... maybe the F6 clutch was the last straw ???
Yep, too many mistakes, too many false starts, too much bad PR.

Nice guy or not something had to be done. : Bye Dave :
Old 16-02-2005, 11:14 AM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

This could be good guys, some new blood and new direction for FPV, there has been alot of people complaining about the direction of FPV and how it willl hold up against HSV.

David and some of the other guys who have gone however did alot of the initial hard work which got the company on its feet.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 11:14 AM   #13
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
I will believe it when I read it with my own eyes. Not saying you guys are wrong, just I would like to read it before coming to any conclusion. Does someone have a link???
Survival in a corporate world is not easy but the Quoted comments from Tom Gorman in the thread below say he is still backing DF.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...2519#post62519

We shall wait and see. The one good thing is we are seeing reaction when problems arise, interesting times.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 11:32 AM   #14
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

I am trying to get this confirmed.

If true, then it does come at a surprise. Everything 'FPV' stand for hangs on David's head, but he can only do the best he can with what he is given and work within the budgeting contraints that he is given.

In an engineers world, we would all have that dream GTHO, but unfortunately even David's outfit is controlled by bean-counters and thats why we drive a compromise.

If true, good luck with what ever road you decide to drive down David.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 11:45 AM   #15
SSbaby
Banned

Although its a great loss (if true) he is a true gentleman and I wish David all the best in his future endeavours.

Although it seems harsh, if I were FPV, I'd head-hunt Crennan, post-haste. No matter what you think of the guy, he can turn the company around.

At least, that's what I'd do!
Old 16-02-2005, 12:11 PM   #16
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Although its a great loss (if true) he is a true gentleman and I wish David all the best in his future endeavours.

Although it seems harsh, if I were FPV, I'd head-hunt Crennan, post-haste. No matter what you think of the guy, he can turn the company around.

At least, that's what I'd do!
The problem really isn't with FPV, and Crennan’s reputation with PR is the worst in this country. Much of what has been talked about by Tom in relation to FPV is no where near as bad as what John has come up with on various occasions through out his tenor when the subject turns to arrogance.

When you get a company forced into the measures FPV have been just to be competitive, cracks are bound to appear. How one responds to those cracks are a completely different issue and that appears to be as much of a concern as the failure itself.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 12:29 PM   #17
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
The problem really isn't with FPV, and Crennan’s reputation with PR is the worst in this country. Much of what has been talked about by Tom in relation to FPV is no where near as bad as what John has come up with on various occasions through out his tenor when the subject turns to arrogance.

When you get a company forced into the measures FPV have been just to be competitive, cracks are bound to appear. How one responds to those cracks are a completely different issue and that appears to be as much of a concern as the failure itself.
I believe the problem is with FPV... their product portfolio is a little bare and JC has good business acumen... he wouldn't release a product that isn't capable of (for want of a better description) 'crushing the opposition'. Besides, he knows what's around the corner at HSV...

Last edited by SSbaby; 16-02-2005 at 12:30 PM.
SSbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 12:46 PM   #18
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Sorry SSbaby, can't agree.

I stand by my comments that FPV are controlled to a point where they can't produce what we want as the base product is quite a fair way ahead of the opposition in terms of chassis rigidity, suspension design and a far more rigid body structure, let's not forget the heavy V8's....

All this contributes to the performance we see today, where some say is too far behind HSV etc... but what can FPV do when the base product is as developed as it is. We can't expect carbon fibre, custom alloy blocks etc for 60,000 odd dollars.

I believe David sure does have all that is required to make a great product, he has already proven this as i think the FPV range IS exceptional considering everything i've already said. He also has class.. something Crennan lacks.

I'd rather not see him at FPV.
Old 16-02-2005, 12:51 PM   #19
SSbaby
Banned

So moving forward, JEM, who is the man for the job? You've countered all my suggestions... how about some (constructive) suggestions?
Old 16-02-2005, 12:54 PM   #20
XRchic
Hello

I remember something Crennan said once... something about Ford being their main competitors, and he said "if I would be as kind as to rate them as that" or something like that. I wasnt impressed. I dont think anyone would want him at Ford and I dont reckon he would be interested...

He might be good at some of his job, but he is rude and thats no good for marketing. Give me someone who can behave in public, not act in a condescending and rude manner and who also loves Fords any day... lets hope they can find someone like that!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 12:56 PM   #21
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be happy to hear that this is just a rumour and is proved to be untrue.

Based on the article in Mellor's newsletter today, Tom Gorman seems to be very supportive of Flint.

i guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 16-02-2005, 12:58 PM   #22
SSbaby
Banned

Remember people, being a good businessman has nothing to do with kindness and how you rate that persons public persona. ;)

No disrespect to David... but he has had a fair time at the helm (Tickford and FPV).
Old 16-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #23
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So moving forward, JEM, who is the man for the job? You've countered all my suggestions... how about some (constructive) suggestions?
btw, i don't see how my initial response to you wasn't contructive. Wasn't meant to sound like a personal attack or anything.
Old 16-02-2005, 01:05 PM   #24
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
btw, i don't see how my initial response to you wasn't contructive. Wasn't meant to sound like a personal attack or anything.
Sorry I wasn't trying to be rude with my comment. I was merely making the point that it is easy to be defensive about something without offering solutions. :voldar02:

Elaborating further, if David couldn't demand what was required from FoMoCo, then maybe somebody else could. GM wouldn't just give HSV the LS7 without some good head-strong people representing them (i.e. Hanenberger and Crennan).

Last edited by SSbaby; 16-02-2005 at 01:13 PM.
SSbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 01:07 PM   #25
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

has anyone actually rang or emailed FPV to confirm this?
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 01:14 PM   #26
WASP
Whipple Induced

I think David is a top man and would hate for him to be dismissed like that (if true), not appropriate at all. David has been responsible for producing some fine motor car's in his time without a doubt and his ethical values as a Director are impeccable from what I have seen. Despite saying all this I must admit I would like to see someone else leading FPV with what I consider to be more culturally in tune with the Australian Performance Market. Personally that’s were I think HSV excels and FPV lacks. They get so close it’s just not funny and can sometimes be down right frustrating. If I could pick anyone for the job it would be Geoff Polities, although I know that is just not possible.

Last edited by WASP; 16-02-2005 at 01:17 PM.
WASP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 01:20 PM   #27
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

David is a top bloke no doubt! But FPV need to move on. I would think that it was Davids at times "heart on the sleeves" comments that did it for him.

Sad to see him go, but its time for a change IMO.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 01:24 PM   #28
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Pick me, pick me!!! : :rofl:
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 01:32 PM   #29
HSE2

Quote:
I believe the problem is with FPV... their product portfolio is a little bare and JC has good business acumen... he wouldn't release a product that isn't capable of (for want of a better description) 'crushing the opposition'. Besides, he knows what's around the corner at HSV...

The only thing I will say is have a good close look at what Ford US have provided FPV with as a starting point then compare Holdens situation with GM.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 01:32 PM   #30
Chris
AFF.com.au

buried himself with bullshit.

Ford owners been putting up with it for too long.

typhoon final nail in coffin.

my 2 cents
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post