Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #541
bretts351
Powered by FORD

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02 View Post
I think we have all been misled when Ford attached the 'Raptor' badge to this vehicle. To clarify the ensuing confusion, one of Ford's engineers have admitted it should be seen more as a 'baby' Raptor.

Since that would look silly as a decal, I think Ford should have made their intentions clear from day one, by calling it the Ford Ranger BMX.

Instead they have left potential owners, who probably were keenly looking forward to this vehicle because of the high performance that its name suggests, feeling betrayed.

Thinking they were getting the real deal, they have now instead been presented with an expensive toy version which, while driving it, they can imagine what the real Raptor might be like, and hoping that one day they might be able to experience it for themselves.

That day might come sooner than they expect because, as we know, toys don't last long, and before you know it, they need to be replaced (at a cost).

I'm sure most owners aren't looking for durability, so it shouldn't be too much of a concern if the engine blows after 150k. It'll be a great excuse for rich owners to upgrade, while leaving the next poor owner to sort out any problems.

Ford, I like your thinking... Good for business
what on earth are you on about? The top man in ford performance is endorsing the little truck, the same guy that worked on Ford GT and GT350 Mustangs... and yet you think the glass is half empty?
mate, lighten up!.
1928 BARRA Phaeton
bretts351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #542
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heads up for those in wa.

Listening to the radio in the car and today tonight (ch7) are doing a story on the raptor tonight.

Good coup for ford, a bit of free advertising never goes astray.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #543
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

https://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/n...cid=spartanntp
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2018, 10:29 PM   #544
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Thanks Mercury, what I got from that is.... it's not only a small engine and has less towing ability on coils.
Sound like Ford are looking for guinea pigs.
And lets see how many guinea pigs there are.

I wont be getting back into a new Ford until the US based Raptor and F150 is available in Oz.

The Ranger Raptor is weak.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #545
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Yep, he hit the nail on the head with that article, couldn’t agree more.

Edit - just reading that Jamal Hameedi the chief engineer says the ranger Raptor drives better than the F150 raptor - can’t be all bad then.

Last edited by chrisandsharon; 09-02-2018 at 11:11 PM.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2018, 01:32 AM   #546
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes its down on motor guys, its a shame i agree but in the real world of owning a raptor you will just have to make compromises. When your at a job site and the tradies are egging you on to grab some bricks and a couple of pallets out of the skip bin to build a hectic jump ramp, just keep in mind your gunna need a bigger run up than you thought.

But think of the advantages a small capacity engine brings to the table. With it having to work hard all the time to lug the fat tank around all that extra heat might mean less dpf burn offs. And what better way for ford to showcase its latest 10 speed gearbox than a tiny engine rowing through the gears trying to stay in the powerband.

I joke i joke im sure it will be a a manly machine
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB

Last edited by Falcon SXR8; 10-02-2018 at 01:35 AM. Reason: I have my reason's
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2018, 02:07 AM   #547
spvd02

I don't understand what the engineer is trying to say when he suggests we are all missing the point when complaining about the engine. If we're missing the point by expecting significantly more power, then the developers of the f150 Raptor must also have missed the point by actually providing it.

The comment just does not make sense. Clearly they've used a different philosophy for the Ranger version, then given it the same name.

Straight-line performance is part of f150 Raptor's philosophy, whereas clearly this is not the case with the Ranger - apparently we're all focusing on the wrong thing if we expect it. The f150 Raptor would give the Ranger a hiding in a straight line desert race, even though the Ranger is also supposed to be a 'desert racer'.

Ford, please explain why this difference in philosophy - is it to make sure that each version appeals to a different market, so one doesn't cannibalize sales of the other? If so, please bring the f150 version to Aus - now there's a car that ticks ALL the boxes.
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2018, 02:27 AM   #548
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

http://www.caradvice.com.au/621176/f...tor-automatic/

Quote:
Ford: Ranger Raptor 10-speed auto “very capable”
Company considered a 13-speeder, too
ARTICLE
PHOTOS
Ford: Ranger Raptor 10-speed auto "very capable"

by Anthony Crawford

In an attempt to meet the ambitious performance targets it set for the Ranger Raptor, Ford engineers turned to the 10-speed automatic from the full-size F-150 Raptor.

The transmission, according to John Fallu, transmission and driveline engineering manager for Ford Asia Pacific, was chosen because it meets “both our refinement and performance benchmarks” for the Raptor.

“The torque converter is selected specifically for trying to meet – and improve – the launch performance of the engine, so as to meet customer expectations,” he said, speaking exclusively to CarAdvice.

“As far as refinement goes, it’s just incredible. Even the shift busy-ness you would expect from more gear shifts just isn’t perceptible, because it’s just so smooth in that regard – almost imperceptible, and there’s even rev-matching on the downshifts.”

Some might argue 10 ratios is overkill, but Fallu says Ford did extensive testing before finally selecting the 10-speeder.

“We actually did simulations during the exhaustive testing process for the optimum number of gear ratios for a rear-wheel drive truck of this size and power… we looked at seven speeds, nine speeds all the way up to 12 and 13 speeds, to see if – from a performance perspective and an efficiency perspective – what truly is optimal for the design.

“The ratios are very evenly steeped, so the total span is a 7.4 gear ratio span in the transmission for a less perceptible shift characteristic. What we were looking for is that uniform shift feel as you’re going up through the gears.”

Interestingly, that same transmission is capable of handling up to 336kW and 691Nm of torque, as it does in the F-150 SVT Raptor truck in the USA.

Unfortunately any questions to Ford execs on more powerful engines were quickly dismissed.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #549
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The team behind the Ranger Raptor have already said it drives better than the F-150 - they should know. The F150 still runs horse and cart leaves in the back.

As for the petrol there may be a possibility of either a 310hp 4cyl turbo or the 325 V6 twin turbo for the US market. Lmfao - I’ll keep the diesel anyday over that shyte.

Keep ya heads in the sand
Old 10-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #550
BaraFGXR6

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-raptor-for-us

US will get a beefier engine, once again Ford Australia pours salt on the wound in trying to dictate what we should think we want to buy. Still anxious to see how the 2 litre will perform, but if the US gets a high powered petrol then what the hell is Ford on about saying "it's not all about the power"...
2012 Navara STX manual - sold.
2013 Focus ST - sold.
2015 XLS ranger auto - sold.
2017 VW Golf work car.. current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I'm going to convert my turbo to NA, just to see your head explode.
BaraFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #551
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Needs more stickers.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #552
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think youre either going to get it when it comes to the Ranger Raptor, or youre not.

I didnt like the idea of a 2L, but when it was first suggested the figures looked to be lineball or less than the 3.2. The final figures look to be lineball or more, so although only marginally different at least its an upgrade on paper. I live in hope that when this 2L/10spd combo moves to the rest of the range, Raptor will get something more.

Raptor to me was always about what was made different to the rest of the car though. As soon as i read they had the Fox shocks, i knew they hadnt gone half cocked. I hadnt read any rumours that suggested it anything other than offroad tuned suspension. Including the coil sprung rear end probably shouldnt be underrated either. Ford may be wafting around suggesting it wasnt a drop in replacement from Everest, but think for a moment that the SVT team stuck with F150's standard layout.

I think some people wouldve been happier seeing something with a big engine, lifted on 20 inch wheels like what most of the modified Rangers seem to turn out as.
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #553
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
The team behind the Ranger Raptor have already said it drives better than the F-150 - they should know. The F150 still runs horse and cart leaves in the back.

As for the petrol there may be a possibility of either a 310hp 4cyl turbo or the 325 V6 twin turbo for the US market. Lmfao - I’ll keep the diesel anyday over that shyte.

Keep ya heads in the sand
I ain't no salesman, but even i know to state it doesn't drive as well as the F-150 would add a few nails to the coffin lid lol....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #554
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
I ain't no salesman, but even i know to state it doesn't drive as well as the F-150 would add a few nails to the coffin lid lol....
It’s great they don’t have to - fact that the F150 does not handle as good as the Ranger Raptor is great advertisement alone.

With the F150s rear end still resembling a Cobb and co stage coach I know what I’d prefer when I head off-road. Can’t deny though that the F150 has more horses up front dragging its cart end rear

Wonder how long we’ll have to wait before the journos get a hold of it.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #555
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thing is as cool as a 4 pot Mustang or Falcon..someone needs to get the sack over this. How could you get it so wrong..
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2018, 02:14 PM   #556
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

In other news,
Ford engineers tells "critics" or is that potential buyers that they are wrong about
the engine choice they wanted in a Raptor.

Maybe we should go back to who buys Ranger in the first place and why few if any,
have asked for a petrol V6 or Turbo I-4. What is it that those actual Raptor buyers want?
Is it a cookie cutter mini-me of the US Raptor or do they want a go fast in the bush diesel
truck that comes without worry of going through tons of fuel in the bush?

Me thinks, Ford is looking to Ranger buyers graduating to a higher level, not a truck for GT car buyers.

Quote:
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”
― Elbert Hubbard, Little Journeys to the Homes of the Great Vol. 3: American Statesmen

Last edited by jpd80; 10-02-2018 at 02:37 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #557
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and in the USA ? "2019 Ford Ranger Raptor Engine Specs
"As far as engine matches sell for the 2019 Ford Ranger, Car and also Driver is betting that the truck’s present 3.2-liter diesel engine offered outside the U.S. will make its method right into the brand-new U.S. version and that it could measure up to the energy efficiency of the diesel-equipped Chevrolet Colorado as well as GMC Canyon.
An EcoBoost four-cylinder engine as well as naturally aspirated gas V6 are likewise anticipated to be offered as other engine options for the 2019 Ford Ranger, Car as well as Driver records, adding the vehicle “will utilize the exact same body-on-frame building and construction as the vehicle marketed in other places worldwide.”https://allnewcarreviews.com/2019-fo...er-raptor-usa/
Old 10-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #558
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
"As far as engine matches sell for the 2019 Ford Ranger, Car and also Driver is betting that the truck’s present 3.2-liter diesel engine offered outside the U.S. will make its method right into the brand-new U.S. version and that it could measure up to the energy efficiency of the diesel-equipped Chevrolet Colorado as well as GMC Canyon.
An EcoBoost four-cylinder engine as well as naturally aspirated gas V6 are likewise anticipated to be offered as other engine options for the 2019 Ford Ranger, Car as well as Driver records, adding the vehicle “will utilize the exact same body-on-frame building and construction as the vehicle marketed in other places worldwide.”https://allnewcarreviews.com/2019-fo...er-raptor-usa/
BS.

If there is a US Raptor in the next few years ( unless it has a 2.3 Ecoboost ), I’ll eat a Mustang GT.

They’ve already said there is only one engine option, and they’ve revealed the MY2019 lineup already.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #559
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Where are the clowns who claimed this car would be nothing but a sticker pack now? Probably the same ones who now look stupid for claiming that, have now turned to critisizing the engine to make themselves feel better.

One comment in an article says the 4 Fox Racing shocks are worth more than the entire engine is. And turbo diesels aren't cheap to make.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #560
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Clearly an old article, or misinformed writer. Ford US have already said it's just the one engine/trans for US Ranger.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #561
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want to see someone run this full tilt down the Finke.

Production class just got boring.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #562
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
I want to see someone run this full tilt down the Finke.

Production class just got boring.
Where do you think the video they released a couple months ago was filmed.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #563
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02 View Post
I don't understand what the engineer is trying to say when he suggests we are all missing the point when complaining about the engine. If we're missing the point by expecting significantly more power, then the developers of the f150 Raptor must also have missed the point by actually providing it.

The comment just does not make sense. Clearly they've used a different philosophy for the Ranger version, then given it the same name.

Straight-line performance is part of f150 Raptor's philosophy, whereas clearly this is not the case with the Ranger - apparently we're all focusing on the wrong thing if we expect it. The f150 Raptor would give the Ranger a hiding in a straight line desert race, even though the Ranger is also supposed to be a 'desert racer'.

Ford, please explain why this difference in philosophy - is it to make sure that each version appeals to a different market, so one doesn't cannibalize sales of the other? If so, please bring the f150 version to Aus - now there's a car that ticks ALL the boxes.
Have Ford taken the same attitude as GM did in the 80's and 90's - "We build it, you just buy it. What's good for GM is good for America".

They are not listening to what the market wants and expects. It's a Raptor they're releasing, it should have a V8 or TTV6, petrol of course.

This thing is going to be not much more chop that a TRD Hilux.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #564
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Where do you think the video they released a couple months ago was filmed.
Do you mean this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=lkSgsWjmxt4
Old 10-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #565
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Have Ford taken the same attitude as GM did in the 80's and 90's - "We build it, you just buy it. What's good for GM is good for America".

They are not listening to what the market wants and expects. It's a Raptor they're releasing, it should have a V8 or TTV6, petrol of course.

I’m disappointed that a discontinued ( no longer built ) HSV Sedan will be faster on the drag strip
Old 10-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #566
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd rather this Raptor!

Old 10-02-2018, 05:06 PM   #567
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

FX4 arrives with a price close to Wildtrak and sells out, immediately on back order.
Buyers didn't flinch at the near $64,000 price tag...............

Maybe we should just watch and see who ends up buying this Raptor, I have a feeling
that those buyers won't flinch at the $80,000 price tag either...........

Quote:

An EcoBoost four-cylinder engine as well as naturally aspirated gas V6 are likewise anticipated to be offered as other engine options for the 2019 Ford Ranger...........https://allnewcarreviews.com/2019-fo...er-raptor-usa/
csv8, that article is from August 2016.
Ford has stated that North American Ranger will have one engine and one transmission, 2.3 EB + 10 AT.

Oh, for anyone else playing along at home, the 3.2 I-5 has been federalized and used in US Transit,
so it's more than capable of meeting / exceeding Euro 6 emissions levels.......

Last edited by jpd80; 10-02-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #568
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'd rather this Raptor!

You should buy one
Old 10-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #569
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

cause a TRD Hilux is soooooo special
Old 10-02-2018, 05:35 PM   #570
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post

cause a TRD Hilux is soooooo special
exactly, it's an extra pack on an SR5, it isn’t as good as the Ranger top-end models:
you can’t get all the active safety aids like forward collision warning, lane departure
warning and lane keeping assistance, and adaptive cruise control.

That's why high series Rangers are more expensive but also more desirable.
2 users like this post: