Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #571
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
exactly, it's an extra pack on an SR5, it isn’t as good as the Ranger top-end models:
you can’t get all the active safety aids like forward collision warning, lane departure
warning and lane keeping assistance, and adaptive cruise control.

That's why high series Rangers are more expensive but also more desirable.
True, our Snecma powered friend in his Ivory Tower is just trolling now.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2018, 07:03 PM   #572
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
True, our Snecma powered friend in his Ivory Tower is just trolling now.
I can understand his disappointment but this Raptor is for a different type of buyer.

If we were looking at an on road "HP Truck" / "Sports Ute" replacement then the
selection of parts would be much different. There would be the flares and big tyres
but suspension would have a lower ride height, not unlike that of the basic 2WD Ute.
The easy engine would be US Ranger's 2.3 EB but maybe a 2.7 or 3.0 or 3.5 V6 Ecoboost?

Most definitely a conversation with its own thread...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-02-2018, 07:30 PM   #573
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I can understand his disappointment but this Raptor is for a different type of buyer.

If we were looking at an on road "HP Truck" / "Sports Ute" replacement then the
selection of parts would be much different. There would be the flares and big tyres
but suspension would have a lower ride height, not unlike that of the basic 2WD Ute.
The easy engine would be US Ranger's 2.3 EB but maybe a 2.7 or 3.0 or 3.5 V6 Ecoboost?

Most definitely a conversation with its own thread...
No he is not a potential buyer, he is trolling, look at his posts
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2018, 08:12 PM   #574
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The good news is that vw has sold all those surplus amarock engines nobody wants.
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #575
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipXW View Post
Probably better than the 100% praising it that won't buy one either
True.
I wonder why only 90% of people dissing it will not buy it. Why are the other 10% buying a car they don't completely like, that's the real question.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2018, 08:26 PM   #576
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
True.
I wonder why only 90% of people dissing it will not buy it. Why are the other 10% buying a car they don't completely like, that's the real question.
True.

You need to diss this car more like you do on other websites like you do.

Keep going, you're doing really well !

Get over it mate, and live with your 2014 Ranger like you keep saying ......
4 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #577
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretts351 View Post
what on earth are you on about? The top man in ford performance is endorsing the little truck, the same guy that worked on Ford GT and GT350 Mustangs... and yet you think the glass is half empty?
mate, lighten up!.
Ever worked for a big company? Everyone is a yes man unless they want to get a bad rep. No one at Ford is going to have a bad word to say about it. The office receptionist that wouldn't know what an F150 was if it hit them in the face would say the Ranger Raptor is amazing. That's why people like third party reviews over the manufacturers brochure.

Funny how people say "Oh it doesn't need a quick engine, it has sick suspension!"
Would it have killed them to have a sick engine and sick suspension? It's only a compromise because Ford made it one.
I would have preferred an Electric Ranger Raptor over a 4 cylinder diesel one.
It would have good economy, amazing torque and an infinite amount of gears essentially.

Quote:
True.

You need to diss this car more like you do on other websites like you do.

Keep going, you're doing really well !

Get over it mate, and live with your 2014 Ranger like you keep saying ......
Which other websites are we talking about?
Also what do you mean 'like I keep saying' I don't think I have made any comparison to my own Ranger while discussing the Raptor.

Sorry if you don't like different opinions on a discussion forum. Online forums are not your safe space.

Last edited by Ben73; 10-02-2018 at 10:19 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2018, 10:24 PM   #578
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ever worked for a big company? Everyone is a yes man unless they want to get a bad rep. No one at Ford is going to have a bad word to say about it. The office receptionist that wouldn't know what an F150 was if it hit them in the face would say the Ranger Raptor is amazing. That's why people like third party reviews over the manufacturers brochure.

Funny how people say "Oh it doesn't need a quick engine, it has sick suspension!"
Would it have killed them to have a sick engine and sick suspension? It's only a compromise because Ford made it one.
I would have preferred an Electric Ranger Raptor over a 4 cylinder diesel one.
It would have good economy, amazing torque and an infinite amount of gears essentially.

Which other websites are we talking about?
Also what do you mean 'like I keep saying' I don't think I have made any comparison to my own Ranger while discussing the Raptor.

Sorry if you don't like different opinions on a discussion forum. Online forums are not your safe space.
Is it carsales or something similar ? You know. Keep discussing.

You’re doing well.

We’ll done.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:30 PM   #579
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I think it's about time the personal slanging matches finished please.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #580
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is it carsales or something similar ? You know. Keep discussing.

You’re doing well.

We’ll done.
I have never commented on a carsales article in my life. Cheers though I might go have a look at their article. I know I'm not the only one with my opinion, I'm sure it's coping a hiding on many different comment sections.

Thanks for the positive feedback anyway. I appreciate it. Just makes me want to comment more
Old 10-02-2018, 10:59 PM   #581
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No he is not a potential buyer, he is trolling, look at his posts
Having purchased around 18 Ford and FPV's since 2005 yeah, I'd consider myself a potential buyer

But not this sticker pack Ford Oz are offering us. I'd take the US Raptor thank you!
Old 11-02-2018, 01:37 AM   #582
nstg8a

If the price is really gonna be 80k, even if drive away then that's getting seriously close to second hand f150 raptor money.
Just had a quick look online and the cheapest f150 raptor I could find was 90ish k.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #583
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
If the price is really gonna be 80k, even if drive away then that's getting seriously close to second hand f150 raptor money.
Just had a quick look online and the cheapest f150 raptor I could find was 90ish k.
90ish for a raptor that is half a ton heavier, running a 6 speed auto and a horse and cart rear end (leaf spring). And the laughable part - it’s only 88Nm more than the 2 litre diesel. Please tell me WTF would you buy one?????? It’s an old school anchor on wheels that would chew through fuel like a locomotive.

The Ranger Raptor would shyte on that literally - there’s no comparison. Now price up the latest V6 twin turbo Raptor with its leaf ars* rear also.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2018, 09:41 AM   #584
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everybody wants the big stonking horsepower. Ford gave it a flat torque curve instead.

Shouldn't be a surprise - even the original Raptor replaced two cylinders with turbos.

It is likely FoMoCo Had a budget, and after analysing actual use (v keyboard warriors) for the intended market, the budget would be consumed in other areas (removing drum brakes?) I'm happy for those early adopters to pay for this engineering/image.

Remember that many in the USA of would see the ranger as a girls truck. The F150 was the smallest of the "ma(i)n" trucks. Don't know if that's changed recently

It is likely that mid/end-life it might see an optional/bigger donk?

If so, we can have this discussion again in 4-7 years. Who knows - they may run the v6 out in in the Ranger Raptor once the chassis proves.

Regarding the old F150 Raptor, I'd run out of fuel getting to the areas in Oz the truck is designed for.

Last edited by 383hq; 11-02-2018 at 09:48 AM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #585
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Ford underestimated the reaction to the mediocre power and torque.

Whatever Ford says, they would be sweating a bit at the reaction in Australia. This country would easily be one of the largest (if not the largest) predicted markets for the Asian Ranger Raptor.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #586
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Where are the clowns who claimed this car would be nothing but a sticker pack now? Probably the same ones who now look stupid for claiming that, have now turned to critisizing the engine to make themselves feel better.

One comment in an article says the 4 Fox Racing shocks are worth more than the entire engine is. And turbo diesels aren't cheap to make.
I'm one of those clowns.
Given that's what most manufacturers are doing, it's not surprising some of us thought we'd see the same thing here.

For the most part it sounds like a great vehicle. Actually designed for off road.

But let's be honest. The only vehicle in the Ford range this would be a performance engine in is a Focus.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #587
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
true, but if people are complaining about a $80k Ranger. Imagine what they'd be saying about a $100k one 'cos that would be the price if it had a V8
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #588
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
true, but if people are complaining about a $80k Ranger. Imagine what they'd be saying about a $100k one 'cos that would be the price if it had a V8
Diesels are typically significantly more expensive than petrol V8s to produce.

In the US the diesels usually have a $2000-$3000 premium over the V8s due to production costs.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #589
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

A South Australian Ford dealer group claims to already have a ton of orders for Raptor.
If that is true and any indication of activity behind the scene, this could be a sure bet.

I'm still amazed at how quickly buyers jumped all over FX4 as if $64K for a Ute was nothing,
we shouldn't therefore be surprised if Raptor takes big orders and sell like hot cakes.

Just because it doesn't seem to fill the check boxes of personal preferences, doesn't mean
that a lot of other buyers will not come on board and embrace a 2.0 diesel Ranger Raptor
and in the end, that all that matters to Ford..
4 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #590
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Interesting read from some of the South African 4x4 guys, some posts in Afrikaans but most in English....

The talk after the release starts on Pg 8 but the whole thread is worth a read...

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...for-2018/page8

.....also another good read http://www.wheels24.co.za/OffRoad_an...ivals-20180209

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 11-02-2018 at 12:41 PM.
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #591
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
I think Ford underestimated the reaction to the mediocre power and torque.

Whatever Ford says, they would be sweating a bit at the reaction in Australia. This country would easily be one of the largest (if not the largest) predicted markets for the Asian Ranger Raptor.
Imagine the market for the F150. In the US the F150 outsold the Ranger 10 to 1. Ford Oz selling the F series trucks is a deliberate decision to boost sales of the Ranger.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:01 PM   #592
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Imagine the market for the F150.
Imagine the price - realistically what would ones guess be if the F150 Raptor hit our shores in RHD config.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #593
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Selling a large petrol truck in Australia would be a hard proposition, the 3.0 Powestroke might work.

Raptor is ~$50K in the US, that's around 1/3 more than the the LHD version of our Mustang
So maybe AUS$90K -$95K?
To support that, Raptor in Canadian dollars is around $69K while our Mustang Gt in LHD is $49K
So allow roughly $18K-$20K for factory RHD cost, maybe a bit more....

Last edited by jpd80; 11-02-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #594
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Imagine the price - realistically what would ones guess be if the F150 Raptor hit our shores in RHD config.
Imagine if it was priced comparative to what it's priced in the US?
Old 11-02-2018, 02:24 PM   #595
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Imagine if it was priced comparative to what it's priced in the US?
Never going to happen because RHD costs on limited volume makes it a lot dearer.....

If we were a LHD country, the F150 Raptor would be similar price as in Canada - $69K
Old 11-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #596
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1. People are talking a lot about the engine - not in a Positive light.
2. It looks tough
3. It seems to have the goods on paper for the suspension.

My bet - will sell well initially but after 6 months will flatline. Especially once raptor owners get blown off at the lights by amarok and x class drivers.

Because none of these get used offroad, they do well due to tax concessions applied to dual cab utes.

It’s like the whole fpv vs hsv thing till the f6 and Miami came out.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2018, 03:40 PM   #597
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, so I haven't read all the posts, just come in at the end, seems to be a bit of banter going on.

Anyway, last night, here in Perth, I had just left Hillarys Boat harbour after a feed and just as I get to the car park, what's cutting laps? A brand new Raptor with interstate plates (Qld I think) I was about 10 feet from it. Awesome looking truck in the flesh. Then he took off and I thought, gee that's really quiet. No diesal V8 rattle/rumble.

Then this morning, reading a review in the motoring section of the Sunday paper and there it is, a 4 cylinder twin turbo, talk about being deflated.

All show and no go? I wonder, it's a big heavy unit, anygood for towing big loads?
But definitely has the pose factor.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #598
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
OK, so I haven't read all the posts, just come in at the end, seems to be a bit of banter going on.

Anyway, last night, here in Perth, I had just left Hillarys Boat harbour after a feed and just as I get to the car park, what's cutting laps? A brand new Raptor with interstate plates (Qld I think) I was about 10 feet from it. Awesome looking truck in the flesh. Then he took off and I thought, gee that's really quiet. No diesal V8 rattle/rumble.

Then this morning, reading a review in the motoring section of the Sunday paper and there it is, a 4 cylinder twin turbo, talk about being deflated.

All show and no go? I wonder, it's a big heavy unit, anygood for towing big loads?
But definitely has the pose factor.

You sure it was a ranger raptor? And not a f150?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #599
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
90ish for a raptor that is half a ton heavier, running a 6 speed auto and a horse and cart rear end (leaf spring). And the laughable part - it’s only 88Nm more than the 2 litre diesel. Please tell me WTF would you buy one?????? It’s an old school anchor on wheels that would chew through fuel like a locomotive.

The Ranger Raptor would shyte on that literally - there’s no comparison. Now price up the latest V6 twin turbo Raptor with its leaf ars* rear also.
That horse and cart rear end you speak of will last 10 times longer than the coils and (many) links made to wear out on that Thai built trophy truck (car), not to mention the ladies twin hairdryers wheezy diesel.
Time will tell.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #600
nstg8a

Yep I’d have the v8 powered leaf sprung dinosaur for similar money every day of the week...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5 users like this post: