Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2023, 08:26 PM   #1
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Chinese cars hoovering personal data

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia...173ac26f19dfd9

Subject is low hanging fruit, I know. But best to be aware.

My question for all of you, what is the latest year that the car doesn't harvest all your phone info, and doesn't send away your driving info?
Old 10-02-2023, 11:57 PM   #2
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Default Re: Chinese cars hoovering personal data

10/10 not surprised
Old 11-02-2023, 12:53 AM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a MY03 WRX so zero chance. A time when and to this day controls were practical
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2023, 07:07 AM   #4
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'd probably have to go back to models that don't have infotainment, which will be different for each make.

Smart phone operating systems are getting better with this sort of stuff. Google and Apple are starting to prevent external devices from getting more access to your phone than what is needed for it to function. But still more can be done.

Though if you are concerned about this sort of stuff, then check your internet router at home where all data goes through. Its probably a Huawei device? Even if it isn't, the "made in elsewhere" router probably has circuit boards manufactured in China. And that goes for pretty much any electronic device that you interact with, smart TVs, phones, home CCTV that is connected to the internet etc.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2023, 07:14 AM   #5
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

A greater concern for most people would be certain apps you download on your phone that can harvest your information rather than the late-model car you drive that may do this.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2023, 09:49 AM   #6
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tesla does the same thing! Yet no one complains about them, do they?
Old 11-02-2023, 09:57 AM   #7
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My HQ GTS Monaro doesn't, I'm pretty sure anyway.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2023, 10:03 AM   #8
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Most of the Teslas going to Europe and even here are from Chinese factories. Id be more worried about the likes of optus and medibank.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2023, 11:16 AM   #9
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Anything you have that uses a processor is collecting data, marketing is very interested in what Joe Average does each day

By the time you go to buy your new Chinese car all your information has already been harvested, exchanged and sold many times over, this is just from the people you think you can trust.

We already know your phone listens to you for marketing purposes, just imagine what else is listening.

If you use your phone or on your computer for anything other than talking or playing games, you have pretty much already given away more than you know.

I would be more worried about the little device that you can no longer live without, the humble mobile phone, its a part of our everyday life now, the information they can get is what you let them get by doing all your personal stuff on it, its more of a threat than the cheap Chinese car will ever be.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2023, 11:57 AM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Also social media like Facebook and IoT devices - for example why does a fridge, oven or a light bulb need to be connected to the internet?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2023, 01:01 PM   #11
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Also social media like Facebook and IoT devices - for example why does a fridge, oven or a light bulb need to be connected to the internet?
So it can get popular, get onto a reality show, try to increase it's popularity and afterwards hope to get an FM radio gig.....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2023, 01:09 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
So it can get popular, get onto a reality show, try to increase it's popularity and afterwards hope to get an FM radio gig.....
You're about 20 years behind, its popular on social media then use it to pivot to onlyfans
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2023, 02:16 PM   #13
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Meh, Skynews.

Sorry but it's nothing new. All companies have data on you and share that data.
Other car companies have numerous "honey pots" of data. Toyota with their connected vehicles system set it up specifically to sell data.

As for hacks, Medibank and Optus were unfortunately the ones that got the publicity.
https://www.webberinsurance.com.au/d...list#twentytwo
https://www.upguard.com/blog/biggest...ches-australia
Old 11-02-2023, 04:00 PM   #14
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So it seems the data is already processed and sold-on long before the cars had infotainment. Every app, every phone, every account, every website. Edit: and they're vulnerable.

Our cars are good then, some comfort. But travel with a phone...
Old 11-02-2023, 04:02 PM   #15
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
https://www.wired.com/story/water-he...hack-blackout/

More seriously, is it not to generate a vast field of data so the analysis AI's have enough to analyse and discern trends? The more points collecting data, the more accurate analysis can be?
Old 11-02-2023, 11:54 PM   #16
IanC

Most of the data harvested in Western countries is for targeted advertising. You can make that useless by using an ad blocker and not watching commercial TV. In authoritarian countries it is much more dangerous. About 1620 Cardinal Richelieu said "If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged." Just imagine what he could do with modern data harvesting.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2023, 05:59 AM   #17
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
They're open about it. And it's driver data they hold more than anything else to help with the autonomous driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Most of the Teslas going to Europe and even here are from Chinese factories. Id be more worried about the likes of optus and medibank.
Not a JV so China has no access to the data Tesla collect.

Speaking of Optus and Medibank, I understand the need to keep patient data for the latter but what I don't understand is why, after you have been identified, does a company need to keep all your identification details on file moving forward. Once the 100 points are done, get rid of said data and keep only necessary data. Or find a way to identify people better.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2023, 09:58 AM   #18
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Genie is out of the bottle, get use to it,

it'll take a decade or two for AI, data mining and boston dynamics to converge, creating autonomous human targeting killing machines that roam freely, so we've got some time left to enjoy...
Might not involve guns either -imagine that, being targeted, then one day your vehicles electric steering just spontaneously steers you into a tree without airbag deployment...

I do like how the Director of Cyber Intelligence at CyberCX, Katherine Mansted compares the modern car and phone to the 1960s designed Boeing 747, presumably because its big,

the XM falcon was designed in the same decade, wonder why she didn't make that comparison?
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2023, 10:47 AM   #19
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Most of the data harvested in Western countries is for targeted advertising. You can make that useless by using an ad blocker and not watching commercial TV. In authoritarian countries it is much more dangerous. About 1620 Cardinal Richelieu said "If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged." Just imagine what he could do with modern data harvesting.
You should read some of the Edward Snowden leaks. Eye opening stuff. Authoritarian or democratic, if you feel you are under threat, then you'll behave very similar. But now we are going into deep state stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
Speaking of Optus and Medibank, I understand the need to keep patient data for the latter but what I don't understand is why, after you have been identified, does a company need to keep all your identification details on file moving forward. Once the 100 points are done, get rid of said data and keep only necessary data. Or find a way to identify people better.
I work for an org that handles a massive amount of data, so deal with these challenges. Deleting data, from all forms of storage, in a big company can be complicated.

First you have to know where the data is, sounds dumb, but when you have several hundreds of applications processing data and passing it on to one another, its not easy to track. And its not just applications, quite often copies / backups will be maintained on shared drives, sharepoint etc.

Secondly, storage is cheap, and people have traditionally viewed deleting data as a bit of a risk not worth taking. There is always the prospect of "What if I delete something I then later need?". And then there are competing regulations, Know Your Customer regulation requires certain companies to get proof that you are who are you, and then they will want to retain that evidence to prove to regulators that they have done that. Makes it easier to apply sanctions on Kypez if you ever make it on that list When you ask business heads how long they want to retain their data, in the past, they would want to keep it for as long as possible. But with threats of heavier penalties, that behaviour is changing. Does take a bit of effort to administer.

The privacy act actually allows you to request your personal data to be removed from an organisation's system. Companies must comply, with few exceptions. Now you can imagine how much effort it would be to track and trace all personal data of Kypez across IT infrastructure with thousands of servers Interestingly, its rarely ever requested.

Rides (past and present)

Last edited by T3rminator; 12-02-2023 at 11:00 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2023, 03:34 PM   #20
stock1991
Limited supply

Skynet
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2023, 12:33 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Just a matter of time before an authoritarian government shuts down your EV for making a post on the internet that criticizes them. And it won't be just china and the like. Just look at what the canadian government did to the people who donated money to the truckers who were protesting government mandates last year. Froze their bank accounts.

EV's with outside access and digital currency is the wet dream of the authoritarian. Anyone who criticizes you can be rendered completely screwed.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2023, 07:39 PM   #22
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Irony is reading about this on a smart phone. Most people would loose their minds if they knew what data apps on said phone share under the cover of darkness.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 14-02-2023, 12:34 AM   #23
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
They're open about it. And it's driver data they hold more than anything else to help with the autonomous driving. Not a JV so China has no access to the data Tesla collect.

Exactly. The security officer at the airport compares your face with the photo on your passport, before allowing you through. After that little exchange, you have your passport, the officer has nothing but a memory of dealing with some person. Why would any company want to keep any information, other than, "Yes, we have had a transaction with a person we verified as being, Citizen X"
Old 14-02-2023, 11:17 PM   #24
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Irony is reading about this on a smart phone. Most people would loose their minds if they knew what data apps on said phone share under the cover of darkness.
It's not just Phones either.. LOL

i recently got an Email from Canon. Saying that My Multi function Printer/Scanner/Copier had Scanned/copied X amount of Pages & was now due for a Software update..!!

God only knows what Data of mine they now have...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2023, 11:54 PM   #25
IanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
It's not just Phones either.. LOL

i recently got an Email from Canon. Saying that My Multi function Printer/Scanner/Copier had Scanned/copied X amount of Pages & was now due for a Software update..!!

God only knows what Data of mine they now have...
Disconnect it from the internet. It only needs to connect to your computer and you can do that with USB. Another spy in your home is a smart TV. That sends back data on what you watch and when to Samsung or Google. Then there is Alexa and similar that listens to everything going on in the room. I just do not understand why we need these smart gadgets. They don't do anything useful that couldn't be done easily with dumb gadgets.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2023, 12:05 PM   #26
hayseed

Quote:
Disconnect it from the internet.
It Isn't connected to the Internet.. Not directly anyway...

Quote:
It only needs to connect to your computer and you can do that with USB. .

^^^This is all that It is...just a cord into a USB port

When I Installed it I had to login to the Canon Website to install It..
Old 15-02-2023, 12:21 PM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
It Isn't connected to the Internet.. Not directly anyway...

^^^This is all that It is...just a cord into a USB port

When I Installed it I had to login to the Canon Website to install It..
Do you buy your ink from Canon?

I have two Canon printers, one small multifunction and one large print only. Both are registered with Canon but I've never heard anything from the company.

Maybe they just like you
Old 15-02-2023, 12:59 PM   #28
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can set up simple data sniffer software on your PC to see what devices connected to your PC are talking to the internet. And if you are clever enough, you can tell what data is being sent by analysing the packets, assuming they aren't encrypted.

The printer is connected to your PC which is connected to the internet, so the cannon software on your PC will have the stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
Exactly. The security officer at the airport compares your face with the photo on your passport, before allowing you through. After that little exchange, you have your passport, the officer has nothing but a memory of dealing with some person. Why would any company want to keep any information, other than, "Yes, we have had a transaction with a person we verified as being, Citizen X"
You may be a distant memory to the officer, but the computer he is using will remember you forever

Rides (past and present)

Old 15-02-2023, 02:49 PM   #29
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Do you buy your ink from Canon?
No I buy the Ink Cartridges at Big W

Quote:
I have two Canon printers, one small multifunction and one large print only. Both are registered with Canon but I've never heard anything from the company.

Maybe they just like you

It's quite a Large Commercial Type One.. !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post

The printer is connected to your PC which is connected to the internet, so the cannon software on your PC will have the stats.
Exactly...
This user likes this post:
Old 16-02-2023, 05:39 PM   #30
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got mixed up with "right to be forgotten" rights with UK and EU regulations. We are still a bit behind, but will be here soon....

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/f...15-p5ckrv.html

Asking google to remove traces of you will be an interesting one. Lots of information is archived.

Rides (past and present)