Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2018, 04:12 PM   #91
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: High-tech All-new Commodore Ready To Take Australia By Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint XR8 View Post
That is one ****weak launch ad.
Is that an adapted American ad? School wrestling teams? A guy with a corsage for his prom date? If that's their idea of staying relevant to Australians, they've well and truly missed their mark.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2018, 04:16 PM   #92
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I havent seen a single ZB around my way yet either, plenty of older v8's & v6's though.

Im sure those guys wont be getting rid of their older Commodore's in a hurry & i dont blame them lol.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #93
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960
Over the years I've become more skeptical than I'd like. GM USA took in 12,000 Commodores LHD built here in Australia sold as the Chevrolet SS between 2013 and 2017 that sold only by basically word of mouth there was almost zero advertising anywhere.

Those cars are genuinely highly regarded and have become very sought after by enthusiasts begging for an affordable big V8 rear wheel drive sedan again from GM but with plenty of great features , yet no genuine attempt was made apparently to meet the bigger demand by Chevy devotees to the car they wanted to see more of in that category .

What does this do but drive away traditional customers to other brands like Dodge that had sedans with RWD and V8's .

Otherwise they were force fed FWD , mostly V6 or fours or a plethora of SUV's and crossovers ..

Sounds familiar dunnit ...
From what I can remember, GM had to nobble sales of the SS so it didn't increase their CAFE fuel economy standards they have to comply to.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #94
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
I havent seen a single ZB around my way yet either, plenty of older v8's & v6's though.

Im sure those guys wont be getting rid of their older Commodore's in a hurry & i dont blame them lol.

cheers, Maka
I have seen one ZB, and they are really hard to tell apart from an Astra sedan. Both have that horrid low front snout.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #95
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Up here in Central Queensland? Haven't seen one. Sad really.
Old 26-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #96
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate of mine knows a bloke whos cousins brother in laws mate was thinking of buying one...
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #97
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

.... but then woke up to himself
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2018, 08:18 PM   #98
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Wow Roddy, dont know about the brainwashing bit mate lol, imo car buying demographics have dictated what direction car manufacturers take & as time moves on the market evolves too.

Versatile suv's etc have evolved over time to the point where today they've become the no1 choice for families etc displacing sedans as the go to vehicle for the masses.

Us dinosaurs will proudly hang on to our beloved Falcons etc prefering the look, sound & feel of a car that in many ways are superior to anything else for our own certain needs imo.

cheers, Maka
I'd take a bit of convincing that spin doctors don't play a part in what we get convinced to buy but I take your changing demographic point of view respectfully. One question I have been meaning to ask here and there revolves around our own Territory

. It was big enough , it was reliable basically , it had a turbo diesel that seems to be the fashion these days and it was better looking than most other comparable vehicles but it sold in lower numbers too . Regardless of the Falcon situation it still surprises me the Territory didn't sell in much bigger numbers..Still reckon the humble station wagon could have been a bit of a saviour if a bit of thought and development had of taken place. The BF was it for Ford but the Holden Sportswagon seemed to have a good amount of room that would have given a mid sized SUV a run for its money . Have a quick read of this from 2011 on that subject https://www.carsguide.com.au/head-to...s-wagons-10767 and the Ford Mondeo wagon got a good report as well as the Commodore as did the Skoda.

We certainly will be enjoying our dinosaurs for years yet with any luck.

Last edited by roddy1960; 26-04-2018 at 08:30 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2018, 08:31 PM   #99
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It's sad to see but unless Holden starts sparking some real interest in dealerships
this will get a lot uglier....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #100
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

To this day, I'll never understand why there wasn't a V6 diesel Falcon,
preoccupied with Eco LPI that arrived after fleets moved onto other vehicles.

Ford built Ecoboost Falcon but never advertised it, great way to cut its legs off.

All that pales in comparison to Holden's current dilemma, ZB is not a bad car, just invisible
Old 01-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #101
Sioso
irregular member

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...modore-112373/

April VFACTS: New low for Holden Commodore
Toyota HiLux and Ford Ranger top the charts as Holden Commodore hits rock-bottom

Holden’s Commodore has posted the lowest monthly sales figure in its illustrious 40-year history, with less than 600 registered in April.

Official VFACTS sales figures due to be released later this week are expected to show Holden sold just 587 Commodores last month – almost 60 per cent less than in April 2017.

But that number will reduce even further given it still includes a number of homegrown VFII Commodore sedans and wagons, although Holden sold just 26 locally made Utes and two Caprices last month.

Commodore sales have hovered at historical lows of less than 1000 for the past three months, with the previous low of 737 recorded in February – the same month Holden launched its imported ZB Commodore and posted its lowest overall monthly sales figure since 1948.

With the exception of Barina, Trax and Trailblazer, all other Holden models also posted slower sales in April, when Holden’s overall sales were down 21.2 per cent – more than any other top-10 brand.

Nevertheless Holden climbed from 10th on the sales chart and a paltry 4.9 per cent market share in March to sixth and 5.8 per cent in April, when the overall market slipped by more than two per cent (more than six per cent based on equivalent selling days) but remains up year-to-date.

That’s a far cry from the 21.6 per cent share the former market leader held as recently as 2002, but the Commodore wasn’t the only mid-size model to experience a sales slump in April.

At just over 560, sales of Toyota’s new imported Camry were also about 60 per cent down on the same month last year, while the Mazda6 was down almost 40 per cent at 180 (less than the Kia Stinger), Ford shifted 208 Mondeos (down more than 30%) and Honda sold just five Accords.

Once again the Toyota HiLux, with almost 3600 sales, was the top-selling vehicle in April, followed by the Toyota Corolla (2979), Ford Ranger (2796) and Mazda3 (2261).

But while Toyota sales lifted by 3.5 per cent to 16,647, Mazda’s slumped by 10.5 per cent to 7723 following sales declines by all models but the BT-50 4x4.

Less than 600 sales behind in third was Hyundai, which was up 4.1 per cent despite its volume-selling i30 falling 3.8 per cent to just over 1900 sales.

After its stellar rise to third overall in March, Mitsubishi remained solid in fourth with more than 5500 sales, the ASX topping the small SUV segment for the month and year, and the Eclipse Cross adding all-incremental sales.

After Holden, fifth-placed Ford was the biggest loser in April with a near-17% sales decline to 4822 sales, followed by Holden, Kia, Subaru, Volkswagen and Nissan – the only other top-10 brand to go backwards in April, by 9.6 per cent.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2018, 09:38 PM   #102
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

A manager at work got his new company car last month - a brand new VFII. Says it all.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #103
Chopped
as in chopped

“ At just over 560, sales of Toyota’s new imported Camry were also about 60 per cent down on the same month last year, while the Mazda6 was down almost 40 per cent at 180 (less than the Kia Stinger), Ford shifted 208 Mondeos (down more than 30%) and Honda sold just five Accords. “

Considering the medium sized sedan market is dying, why did they think sticking the Commodore badge on a medium sized sedan would end well.

They should have showed the name some respect and put it on the shelf.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #104
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't matter what they call it, it is seen as just another FWD 4cyl sedan, sorry hatch, or a complicated AWD V6.

Selling these will be like a new entry Chinese brand, no history, no previous local knowledge, unknown mechanical and electronic reliability. Even the V6 is not the same as the Oz V6, same, yeah, but different.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #105
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

Ford built Ecoboost Falcon but never advertised it, great way to cut its legs off.

All that pales in comparison to Holden's current dilemma, ZB is not a bad car, just invisible
I don't think the engines on offer or their fuel economy had anything to do with Falcons decline. The four door sedan is dead, no one wants one, haven't for a while now. Unless it goes really fast...

I said this here years back and didn't get much agreement, but still believe it to be true - Ford should have focused 100% on performance during the dying years of Falcon. Forget ecoboost, forget ecoLPi - turbo sixes and blown V8's should have been their sole focus, and sales would have been significantly higher than what they were in the last few years.

VFII was still selling 2000+ units at the end of it's extended 12 year model cycle, after fleets and business customers had moved on. They sold this many because of the big range of performance models - SS, SS-V, SS-V Redline in sedan/ute/wagon, plus SV6, plus Calais V V8. That was the niche of the large sedan - performance/muscle. They could never compete as an economy car, or a practical car and should never have even tried.

A diesel Falcon would have been a horrible thing, worse in every way compared to the failed ecoboost or LPG - probably would have sold more than those admittedly, but could never have justified the investment.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2018, 11:41 PM   #106
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
“ At just over 560, sales of Toyota’s new imported Camry were also about 60 per cent down on the same month last year, while the Mazda6 was down almost 40 per cent at 180 (less than the Kia Stinger), Ford shifted 208 Mondeos (down more than 30%) and Honda sold just five Accords. “

Considering the medium sized sedan market is dying, why did they think sticking the Commodore badge on a medium sized sedan would end well.

They should have showed the name some respect and put it on the shelf.
At those numbers, will we soon see the departure of Camry? Toyota has even taken it upon themselves to give the Australian market the proper Japanese built Camry, and not the inferior Thai built model. Must be stuff all margin in it for Toyota Australia
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2018, 06:42 AM   #107
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

Ford probably couldn't, or wouldn't, pay for the engineering involved. Their track record in engine choice was sometimes questionable. For instance, they wasted years and lots of $$$s fitting the turbo into the Territory, when the market really wanted a diesel.

When the turbo petrol failed to gather the sales, they had next to no funding so took the cheapest diesel possible and stuffed that into the Terri.

The diesel Falcon was probably a victim of this kind of malaise. No green industry funding to engineer it, and uncertain market prospects to receive it.

The ecoboost never took off in fleet sales as they were expecting. Maybe someone moved the goal posts?
https://www.smh.com.au/national/ford...717-228j5.html
http://www.news.com.au/news/falcons-...621e0f9b396950

It's a bit of a market orphan these days. Which is a shame, as it has more power and torque than my aussie-made six pot.

Last edited by anobserver; 03-05-2018 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Spelling, article reference
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2018, 09:16 AM   #108
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
I don't think the engines on offer or their fuel economy had anything to do with Falcons decline. The four door sedan is dead, no one wants one, haven't for a while now. Unless it goes really fast...

I said this here years back and didn't get much agreement, but still believe it to be true - Ford should have focused 100% on performance during the dying years of Falcon. Forget ecoboost, forget ecoLPi - turbo sixes and blown V8's should have been their sole focus, and sales would have been significantly higher than what they were in the last few years.

VFII was still selling 2000+ units at the end of it's extended 12 year model cycle, after fleets and business customers had moved on. They sold this many because of the big range of performance models - SS, SS-V, SS-V Redline in sedan/ute/wagon, plus SV6, plus Calais V V8. That was the niche of the large sedan - performance/muscle. They could never compete as an economy car, or a practical car and should never have even tried.

A diesel Falcon would have been a horrible thing, worse in every way compared to the failed ecoboost or LPG - probably would have sold more than those admittedly, but could never have justified the investment.
I agree, especially the part i highlighted, ive been saying the same thing for ages.

As the other family models evolved, got bigger & more powerful the customer was spoilt for choice in a car manufacturers own lineup.

When the new cash cow arrived ie the crossover suv, it was final curtains for some certain large & mid sedans no matter how good they are & at the end of the day, the manufacturers did it to themselves unfortunately, ie near bankruptcy & the need to cull the much loved legacy models.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 03-05-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #109
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the Performance Muscle thing ... I wonder if that is how Chrysler (Dodge) will get by ... in USA brands I would suggest that have the best performance/muscle 4/5 door sedan lineup
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #110
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
At those numbers, will we soon see the departure of Camry? Toyota has even taken it upon themselves to give the Australian market the proper Japanese built Camry, and not the inferior Thai built model. Must be stuff all margin in it for Toyota Australia
Toyota can carry it no problem. Its still selling in reasonable numbers. If anything there is probably more profit importing them than building them here.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #111
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

People were clutching at straws when the March sales data was released as they claimed the ZB hadn't been on sale for the full month. Now with a FULL month of sales and only a paltry number sold it appears the storm is starting to rapidly fizzle.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2018, 07:51 PM   #112
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
People were clutching at straws when the March sales data was released as they claimed the ZB hadn't been on sale for the full month. Now with a FULL month of sales and only a paltry number sold it appears the storm is starting to rapidly fizzle.
What is being recorded as sales is actually registrations, I wonder how
many were dealers being told to buy some cars to salt some interest..
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #113
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its taken a while but i saw my first new commodore, it was broken down on the side of the road, on my way back a guy in an old Territory was helping him out

saw my second on my home street but still had dealer stickers on it
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #114
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Selling these will be like a new entry Chinese brand, no history, no previous local knowledge, unknown mechanical and electronic reliability. Even the V6 is not the same as the Oz V6, same, yeah, but different.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Holden Marketing has misread the situation. I can't see any die-hard Commodore customer giving this new Korean thing the time of day. The Commodore name should have been retired and these new things pitched to new customers as a new model in the line up.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #115
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Holden Marketing has misread the situation. I can't see any die-hard Commodore customer giving this new Korean thing the time of day. The Commodore name should have been retired and these new things pitched to new customers as a new model in the line up.
FYI The ZB commodore has nothing to do with the Daewoo-Holdens from Korea.

I think its made in Germany
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #116
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post

That may be part of the problem, not many people would have a clue were it's made.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #117
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Watching supercars on the weekend, and thought to my self, "there are more ZB's on the race track than the road".

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #118
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
FYI The ZB commodore has nothing to do with the Daewoo-Holdens from Korea.

Doesnt matter, perception is everything, and the amount of unhappy Cruze/Captiva customers means nobody's willing to get burnt again.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #119
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Watching supercars on the weekend, and thought to my self, "there are more ZB's on the race track than the road".
Maybe those are registered as sales too...J/K.

But seriously, Ford back in sponsoring teams in V8SCs and teams switching to Mustang
has really pulled the rug out from under ZB and any sales traction...
4 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #120
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

So can it be said then if theoretically Holden had a v8 etc rwd performance /sports car (Camaro) priced to match the Mustang, would it help things along sales wise or is it too late to arrest the sales dive?

cheers, Maka