Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 29-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #1
kiwiinoz

Default Ambiente vs trend

Thinking about getting one. Has anyone any advice re the differences. Is the performance that noticeably different? Advice re either welcome. They look gorgeous
kiwiinoz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #2
Mondaveo

Default Re: Ambiente vs trend

FWIW, I test-drove a Trend EcoBoost when I was in the market late last year.

Very nice vehicle, but very different to what I was used to. Coming from small old 'poverty-pack' cars I was aware of how much larger around me the vehicle felt, and pretty overwhelmed by all the bells and whistles.

I can't say anything on comparative performance, as I didn't get look at an Ambiente (nor a wagon, which is what I really wanted). Looking back at the brochure, the main thing you get by stepping up to the Trend (apart from the higher-output petrol motor) is most of the active safety gear, which I'd value (i.e. lane-keeping guidance, autonomous braking and adaptive cruise). Though I have to say, the Ambiente looks far from being the povvo-pack option (especially if you option the turbo-diesel, which has the same outputs across the range).

I hope the supply situation has improved since I went shopping - but I still never see them at my local (although they are starting to appear more on the roads)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
kiwiinoz

Thanks for the message. Seeing more on the road and not sure what the supply is like. Will be in the market in a couple of months so will keep posted. Did it drive well in diesel? Is it worth the extra?
Old 03-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #4
Mondaveo

Thumbs up Re: Ambiente vs trend

I didn't get to try the MD in diesel, the Trend EcoBoost hatch was all the dealership had on offer. This was in Canberra back in September. I was told if I wanted one then they'd try their best, but I would likely be waiting till the new year particularly for a wagon, which I thought was bloody farcical. At the time I could see on Carsales that there were several MD wagons in Sydney, so depending on your location I'm sure you'll do better. (Just checked the dealer's stock online and they don't even have any MDs in Cbr now!)

In my case, ultimately I decided that used MCs were a good proposition because a) I'd save on depreciation, b) they have slightly more cargo space, and c) importantly there were actually some of the bloody things around to be had
I lucked out that the Titanium in my sig came onto the market and I managed to get almost the best of all worlds

I'm a fan of the Duratorq diesel in the MC - notwithstanding that in the wagons they don't give you many options - massive low-down grunt and superb economy (1000km to a tank, no sweat). The only characteristic that's not great is a bit of hesitation/lag moving from a standstill until the turbo and transmission spool up, but after that it just hauls.
On paper, the Duratorq was easily the pick over the old 2.3L Duratec petrol and would be again versus the Ambiente's 'low output' Ecoboost on paper... but against the 'high output' Ecoboost in Trend and Titanium hatches it's too close to call; probably not worth the extra unless you have some other criteria or preference (e.g. towing or want a wagon)...

Hope this helps!

Quote:

Last edited by Mondaveo; 03-02-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
kiwiinoz

Thanks yet again. I like the torque of a diesel but think that the low mileage we do, the additional cost not worth it for us. MD trend should have good torque with the ecoboost engine. They just look great. Wagon I think is the choice.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiinoz View Post
MD trend should have good torque with the ecoboost engine. They just look great. Wagon I think is the choice.
Therein lies a problem. Trend and Titanium wagons are available only with Duratorq diesel! You only get the option of Ecoboost in Ambiente grade or with the hatchback body.

I thought exactly like you; no idea why those should be the only configurations. I can only assume there are sound business reasons why Ford don't give us the option

Neither the diesel motor nor the hatchback body are bad things, but it kinda sucks if you really want a wagon, because it bumps the price a fair way up there (wagon bodystyle is already an extra cost option over the hatch) :(

Quote:

Last edited by Mondaveo; 03-02-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #7
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

a fully loaded ecoboost wagon would probably blow the fuel figures estimate or give less than stellar performance, where as the diesel will eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner, till it retired.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #8
Mondaveo

That's a fair argument, except you can have Ecoboost in the wagon at Ambiente grade (and that's the detuned version, so almost certainly does mean less than stellar performance), so I don't get why the 'high output' Ecoboost motor shouldn't also be offered in the wagon like the hatch.

In fact I suspect it is an option in Europe, but FoA have rationalised the options to make the logistics of import easier, as they did for the last model (e.g. MC Titanium had a raft of options in EU, but in Oz it's one spec).

Quote:
Old 03-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #9
kiwiinoz

Oh dear, looks like trend hatch then. I'll keep looking on caresales and see what demonstraters are around. Will drive both ecoboost engines and see if the difference is noticeable. Has anyone done that?
Old 04-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
Mondaveo

I haven't seen much discussion of it, other than this launch review:
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/612...est-family-car

Quote:
The same is true of both EcoBoost petrol turbo models. While Ambiente models get a lower state of tune and lower output - 149kW as opposed to 177kW - they each have the same torque output (345Nm) and feel much the same on road.

We gave both a bit of a whack through some winding sections of road in the Brindabellas west of Canberra and decided there was little in it.

The higher output version (in Trend and Titanium models) is certainly quicker at the top end, when being stretched, and is a bit more eager to pick up its skirts out of a corner, but the Ambiente is no slouch when ‘asked the question'.
Sounds like one might not necessarily be so hard done-by with the Ambiente Ecoboost after all. I look forward to reading your impressions kiwi

Quote:
Old 08-02-2016, 06:52 AM   #11
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've driven a couple of new Fords with the Ecoboost. One observation is the economy goes out the window if you use the performance, like all petrol turbos. I'd take the diesel every time, unless the vehicle is doing lots of short trips. But why would you buy a Mondeo to do that?

Yeah, Ford has limited model choice in NZ. You couldn't get the Ecoboost in the base model MC for some reason, only the diesel and the 2.3 petrol.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #12
kiwiinoz

We dont do that many miles as i have a company car that i will be using for most of the running around. I wonder if i can justify the diesel over the petrol bearing the Mrs only drives to and from work in it, a total of about 30 kms per day. Is this type of running bad for a diesel ??
Old 08-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #13
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A 15 km trip is OK, it should warm up in that distance. You'd need to take it for a decent drive every now and then so the DPF can complete a regen cycle. One other issue is that diesels can take a while to warm up on a cold morning and the heater may barely get warm in that distance!

But if you're not going to do long trips, then the petrol probably is a better option.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #14
kiwiinoz

Heater, mmmmmmm Queensland is all good!! Mind you, does get a little chilly at times in winter, for a week or so!! Where in Auckland are you? I have family in Mt Albert and Sandringham.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #15
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiinoz View Post
Heater, mmmmmmm Queensland is all good!! Mind you, does get a little chilly at times in winter, for a week or so!! Where in Auckland are you? I have family in Mt Albert and Sandringham.
LOL, I missed the Queensland part! I live in Royal Oak, so not far.