Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 28-09-2005, 01:01 AM   #1
TXWhat
Power Wanted

Default FE3 Transplant?

Howdy all..hypothetically..if i could get my hands on an FE3 front cut..whats the deal with changing the engines over...keeping in mind that what im taking out is the 2.2i N/A motor..the car in question is an 88 Telstar Ghia..i got about 5 grand saved and i really want to do my car up..mechanically..already picked up cosmetic crap and dropped it on its **** etc..but now i have the urge for horses! and i think that its worth going the track of the FE3, any help would be valuable thanks guys.

88 Telstar Ghia Sedan.....All alpine sound..hu..500w amp..300w 12 inch suub..6x9s custom fitted in front doors...6x9s on parcel shelf...little 4 inch speakers in factory positions in front..Now dropped 1.5 inches..rolling on 16s...need power!
TXWhat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
TX5 GT
Sold one of the Telstars

well first you need to find one, bolt it in: all mounts the same BUT, you may need to take the flywheel off of the 2.2 and put it on the FE so the gearbox will work. Keep in mind your bolting up a 105KW Bone-Stock figure so you may need to replace the clutch or it might slip. Then ofcourse the biggest hurdle.........Controlling it, unless you can get a front cut and transplant every-single wire, you need to go EMS. Basically what happens is you hook up the alternator and starter motor and leave the rest to the pros. Dont let that distract you, it is a awesome motor and im actually negotiating on a FE3 right now! (for my sixtwosix). I have a clip here of a bone stock one showing speedo etc. This engine revs cleany through 7000RPM and with turbo people have hit 8800RPM. Good Luck
CAI - SUNROOF - ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION - SOUND SYSTEM - CRONOS FRONT END - 4SPEED AUTO - 15PSI - EXHAUST - FRONT MOUNT COOLER - HEAVY DUTY BANDS - TORSEN LSD - DYNOED AT 145KW ATW @ 6000RPM everything after 4 speed auto is a typo
TX5 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 02:24 AM   #3
TXWhat
Power Wanted

Yeh i am also in process of negotiating for my own FE3...i wuldnt bother doing any of the work myself...ive done an engine change b4 but i dun wanna f this one up..and yer im actually going to get a front cut..about the clutch..would you be able to suggest a suitable replacement unit..which is stronger..and even if a new stronger gearbox would be the way to go?
Thanks for the help mate.
88 Telstar Ghia Sedan.....All alpine sound..hu..500w amp..300w 12 inch suub..6x9s custom fitted in front doors...6x9s on parcel shelf...little 4 inch speakers in factory positions in front..Now dropped 1.5 inches..rolling on 16s...need power!
TXWhat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 05:35 PM   #4
TX5 GT
Sold one of the Telstars

stronger gearbox would be out of a TX5/626/MX6 TURBO, but once again you will need the flywheel.

your engine has a 8" fly
the turbo engine has a 12" fly.

as for performance clutches, youll be hard pressed to find a diecent one for the NA gearbox but can be done. Clutchmasters do one for the turbo g'boxes
CAI - SUNROOF - ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION - SOUND SYSTEM - CRONOS FRONT END - 4SPEED AUTO - 15PSI - EXHAUST - FRONT MOUNT COOLER - HEAVY DUTY BANDS - TORSEN LSD - DYNOED AT 145KW ATW @ 6000RPM everything after 4 speed auto is a typo
TX5 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 01:29 AM   #5
Mr. MX6
Starter Motor

come to mx6.com der is a guy in perth selling one for ~500 bux
http://www.mx6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76