Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 13-03-2016, 04:14 AM   #1
Mee
Starter Motor

Post Ford Festiva 1.3 Hatchback 1995 Manual transmission fluid change

Hello there,
i have Ford Festiva 4 door hatchback 1995 model.
i need to change its manual transmission fluid.
could someone help me, i know there is a Nut down there.
but how to put fluid back in?
does anyone have workshop manual? thanks.
Mee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2016, 02:51 AM   #2
peteb57
Starter Motor

Default Re: Ford Festiva 1.3 Hatchback 1995 Manual transmission fluid change

Remove the speedo drive with a 10m spanner. You may have to replace the O Ring.
What oil are you going to use ?
peteb57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2016, 07:05 PM   #3
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As above description through the speedo drive i used auto trans fluid in the manual box as that that is what the book recomended on the festi i had. I rate festi's highly bloody good cars
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2016, 10:19 PM   #4
bionic2006xr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My festiva has done 500,000 trouble free Km's. I used Castrol Dex 3 (yes it's an auto trans fluid) but is what's recommended in the lube guide. I think it holds 3.4 litres from memory and I always change the alloy plug washer too.

Cheers Ryan
bionic2006xr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #5
peteb57
Starter Motor

Here is what confuses me about the recommended gear oil.

I have another workshop manual for the Festiva by KIA.
Not Australian btw.

It's recommended oil is:
Grade: API Service GL-4
Viscosity: SAE 75W/90

That is a very thick gear oil.

Why does KIA recommend one oil and Ford Australia recommends another being the Dexron in both Auto and Manual ?

The manual came in a PDF download and is by KIA.
The Festiva ( Australia ) Owner's Manual says Dexron.
Old 23-07-2016, 10:41 AM   #6
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is the gearbox noisy? What is in there now? I changed the oil in my festi cause the gearbox was noisy and thought it might of had the wrong oil in it. It was a 2000 model and should of had auto trans oil in it not the gear oil that was in it.
Imo i would put what the handbook that come with car says as ford aus would had to warranty them back in the day so they wouldnt use something that was going to cause them grief.
Old 23-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
peteb57
Starter Motor

To find the correct answer or explanation, it may go beyond the scope of DIY persons, and ask at engineering level.
What's considered is the type of gear cuts, (angles ), synchro rings and oil seal types.
Even if one tries a step down to a lighter grade of gear oil, due to the design of the box, it may have to be Dexron in Australia and proper gear oil elsewhere.
I also read somewhere, that it's rumored Ford Australia insisted KIA motor Company use Dexron from a marketing angle. If it is marketing, then I hope to get to the truth of the matter on purely engineering reason.

If, your gearbox is making noises after using gear oil when it is suggested to use Dexron, then damage is already done. If everyone else uses Dexron and there have been no issues, then maybe it is what it is, Dexron in Australia for both Manual and Auto.

Remember the Mini back in the day, it uses Motor oil for engine, gearbox and diff cos everything is in one whole unit. When the engine oil was drained, below the crankshaft is the gearbox and diff.

I think it comes down to type of gears and angles of the gears being cut to suit the oil.
Someone with engineering knowledge may be able to offer a light on this trivia

Old 23-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #8
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah peteb i hope the person who asked the question originally gets the correct oil in their gearbox. Myself im a big stickler for putting what the book in the glove box says to use.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
zabatron

If you still have the owners manual,then use the oil that it specifies.Service refill capacity is 2.5 litres.You can also do a quick search online ,just key in the brand of oil you prefer to use and type the word netlube after it(eg Castrol netlube),then key in your car's details and it will list the correct fluids to use for your car.
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #10
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Have exact same car and did this...be gentle when removing the speedo cable and attached speedo gear. Place to side and fill up. The drain bolt easy as to access however mine was so tight not even a brute could not remove it. In the end used a impact wrench which zipped it off in microseconds.... also car must be perfectly flat and level.
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post