Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your DSG Auto, Focus or Fiesta?
Had a problem now its fixed by the dealer 11 15.71%
More than 1 promblem with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
More than 2 promblems with still ongoing issues 11 15.71%
3 or more problems with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
Never had any issues with my DSG Auto 22 31.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #301
JG33

Default Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDB1957 View Post

I tried to trade the Focus in at another manufactures dealership.
$ 8000 for a 06/2013 Trend with 30000 k.
It seems the word is out
I would keep looking around, that price is BS.

I got $13000 for mine and it was a 2012 Trend with 64000k, the dealer sells different brand vehicles including Ford so they would know the issues.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #302
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG33 View Post
I would keep looking around, that price is BS.

I got $13000 for mine and it was a 2012 Trend with 64000k, the dealer sells different brand vehicles including Ford so they would know the issues.
Trade in price can vary a lot. It depends on a lot of variables.

The margin in the car you want to buy, whether its in short supply or not and how keen the dealer is on trading your car as well as how eager the dealer is for a sale just to name a few.

With the Focus DCT on the nose with the car trade and the WZ Focus arriving latter this year its only going to get worse.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #303
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a guide Trade price is about half the price people advertise on cars guide for private sale
I was offered $6k trade in for a 2008 TDCi focus with 70,000klm and they were advertised 10-11,000 in Carsguide
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #304
JG33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imolator View Post
Trade in price can vary a lot. It depends on a lot of variables.

The margin in the car you want to buy, whether its in short supply or not and how keen the dealer is on trading your car as well as how eager the dealer is for a sale just to name a few.
True but still I'm sure one can get a better price than $8000 for a 2013 Trend considering the Red Book trade in price guide is $14,000 - $16,200 for that particular model.
I did purchase a new car so trade in would be better than buying a secondhand car.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #305
SydneyBoy
Starter Motor

Hi,

Your story sounds like my experience I had when I bought my 2012 focus titanium brand new in September 2012... within 1 week of having I had all these issues people talk about and took the car back many times.

I kept getting pushed away but I did not give up and every day just turned up at their dealership complaining. eventually they replaced the whole clutch pack and transmission which after 2 weeks having the car back it all started again... I new I couldn't deal with it so I immediately traded the car in.. I will never buy a ford again.. I feel so sorry for all these people with these issues, its very stressful.

Shame on Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDB1957 View Post
Thankyou for the information.
That explains why they were reluctant when I took the focus to the dealer on 15/04/2015 for the fifth clutch ( yes the shudder is back ) that the feedback I got from Dealer and Ford Customer Care that it was within specifications ( quoted TSB 1414 When I asked for a copy of TSB1414 I was refused.
ITS TRULY AMAZING THAT BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 2014 AND START OF APRIL 2015 THE FOCUS HAD NO SHUDDER WHAT SO EVER AND PERFORMED COMPLETELY FAULT FREE

It seems Ford only have a temporary fix for this reoccurring problem and cant keep op the supply of replacement clutches.

Sooner or later this vehicle is going to cause an accident as it occasionally hops across an intersection like a scared rabbit.

My website DESTROY THE FOCUS is nearly ready undergoing testing of VPN and Russian server, and links to Facebook, Selling Dealer and Twitter.

I tried to trade the Focus in at another manufactures dealership.
$ 8000 for a 06/2013 Trend with 30000 k.
It seems the word is out
SydneyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 05:58 PM   #306
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG33 View Post
True but still I'm sure one can get a better price than $8000 for a 2013 Trend considering the Red Book trade in price guide is $14,000 - $16,200 for that particular model.
I did purchase a new car so trade in would be better than buying a secondhand car.
Your quoting the redbook trade in price for a 2013 Diesel DCT trend.

The redbook trade in for a 2013 petrol DCT trend is $12200 -$14200.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #307
JG33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imolator View Post
Your quoting the redbook trade in price for a 2013 Diesel DCT trend.

The redbook trade in for a 2013 petrol DCT trend is $12200 -$14200.
Ooops, looked at the wrong one.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:14 PM   #308
bugmesome
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmesome View Post
A bit of new info for people with the dry-clutch PowerShift shudder problem as described in this thread.

2011+ Ford Focus & Fiesta Powershift Clutch Shudder FIX To Try At Home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msA0p87O2y4

Watch that video, in summary it boils down to:
  1. Make sure Ford has serviced your car as much as they are willing to, i.e. clutch is "dry" (i.e. cleaned and no leaks) and reflashed the transmission software to the latest version
  2. Drive your car normally for a while to get engine and transmission warmed up
  3. Find a quiet safe country road
  4. Do a "clutch scrub": sprint hard from 0-100km/h, make sure at least gears 1-4 get engaged
  5. Slow down gradually
  6. Repeat 3-5 times
Also a few interesting tidbits from that video:
  • There was a new version of the transmission software in August 2014 (no idea if US only or applies to Aus too), ask your dealer...
  • There's a new "F" revision of the clutch hardware which is better than the current "D" revision (again, no idea if US only or applies to Aus too)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmesome View Post
If you're still in your engine break-in period, don't do the clutch scrubbing... just follow the regular break-in procedure (don't tow, don't sit on the same freeway speed, etc.).

Also note that after Ford does the reflash, the transmission has to re-adapt to your driving style (he also talks about that on the video). Opinions vary on how long this takes, could be ~2000km?
Any of you guys affected, tried the above?

Obviously it's not a proper solution until Ford does the right thing, but it may alleviate the symptoms?
bugmesome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #309
Lewy950
Starter Motor

My parents have had a heap of issues and are now getting a new transmission. They were also told they could get an above market trade in and ford discount on another ford if they wanted to trade it in.

I traded mine last December with 42000kms for $13k. But I didn't have any of the issues. I just needed a bigger car.
Lewy950 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #310
narooma98
Starter Motor

Happy as today just got rid of the Focus and got FG mk2 xr6 thanks Ford
narooma98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #311
C0ncrete

I have the latest F revision clutch and have since November. Its as bad as it has ever been.

Took it back to Ford who stated the RPM's or whatever was in spec. He sympathised with me but I understand there is nothing he could do.

I have the entire TSB EXCEPT the newer seal.

Emailing Ford todaay as I've had enough.

I was offered $13,400 on my 2012 Sport with 30k.
C0ncrete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #312
C0ncrete

Narooma was that some arrangement with Ford or did you take the hit?
C0ncrete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #313
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0ncrete;5402594
[QUOTE=C0ncrete;5402594
Emailing Ford todaay as I've had enough.

I was offered $13,400 on my 2012 Sport with 30k.
My opinion is that these dry clutch DCTs are not suitable for city driving. They should have stuck with the wet clutch versions IMHO.

The software that controls the DCT just doesn't seem to be able to cope well with the on and off throttle required during stop start traffic, whereas in a manual the driver can anticipate in these situations the computer just cant.

In D at roundabouts is downright dangerous in these boxes.

Because of these issues I used to drive my Focus S DCT in manual mode, but Select shift ends up being slower than a true manual there being a pretty big pause between asking for a shift and getting one.

I recently traded mine on a new MK7 Golf Comfortline Manual and got $16990 trade on my 2012 with 25K's, they don't hold their value that's for sure. I was happy to see the back of it, the Golf manual is a joy to drive after the DCT.

The only thing I miss is Sync, though it had its issues as well.
Old 25-05-2015, 11:56 PM   #314
7fords
Starter Motor

My daughter took her 2013 LW Mk11 Focus in to a dealer last week - reporting shudder (auto gearbox), the dealer confirmed the defect and stated " level of shudder exceeds acceptable, requires clutch replaced ". But was told sorry no clutches available for a few months - we'll be in touch!!!. She did however get the front drive halfshafts replaced, which apparently are a warranty job!!
7fords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #315
alokin123

someone has started a facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/761663227244824/
alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #316
mihailou
Starter Motor

Have recently purchased a Focus Trend ( if I'd read this forum first I may not have) Can anyone answer a few queries I have regarding this problem
Does every Focus auto have this problem?
Is there a common denominator eg where and when it was built?
Have later builds solved this problem mine has a build date of Sept 2014?
mihailou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #317
Nesbit
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihailou View Post
Have recently purchased a Focus Trend ( if I'd read this forum first I may not have) Can anyone answer a few queries I have regarding this problem
I have a 2013 built Trend which i bought brand new. I have been through 3 clutches and numerous computer resets. The last clutch i had done (Dec 2014) seems to have fixed the problems for me (shudders, rattles and no take off when you plant the foot) and it does drive better.

From the reading i have done on the internet and on social media the common denominator is the piece of ***** clutch they decided to use for this car regardless of build date! I would be interested in seeing how much this will cost Ford. Take a look at this video some interesting thoughts on there.

Unfortunately i am not in the financial position to get rid of this car but as soon as i can it is going and i have my eye on the Mazda 3. Hope you have better luck that i have had.
Nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #318
alokin123

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesbit
I have a 2013 built Trend which i bought brand new. I have been through 3 clutches and numerous computer resets. The last clutch i had done (Dec 2014) seems to have fixed the problems for me (shudders, rattles and no take off when you plant the foot) and it does drive better.

From the reading i have done on the internet and on social media the common denominator is the piece of ***** clutch they decided to use for this car regardless of build date! I would be interested in seeing how much this will cost Ford. Take a look at this video some interesting thoughts on there.

Unfortunately i am not in the financial position to get rid of this car but as soon as i can it is going and i have my eye on the Mazda 3. Hope you have better luck that i have had.
Not every focus has the problem, it doesnt matter where it was built and from what i have been reading it hasnt been fixed in later builds of this model.

If you have come from a normal auto to this car you will definitely notice what many people complain about with the shudder and rattles as Nesbit mentioned; some cars more than others for some reason. That is just one of the symptoms. If there is a leak in the transmission, those sounds are a lot more scarier. It can sound like you are dragging a muffler under the car.
I certainly would not have gone anywhere near this car if i had known what i know now. Its better now than what it was but every time i get behind the wheel i am always feeling and listening for the sounds. It really has caused psychological scars sadly.

Do dealerships buy back cars in general? Even if there isn't a problem?
Old 29-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #319
mihailou
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokin123 View Post
Not every focus has the problem, it doesnt matter where it was built and from what i have been reading it hasnt been fixed in later builds of this model.

If you have come from a normal auto to this car you will definitely notice what many people complain about with the shudder and rattles as Nesbit mentioned; some cars more than others for some reason. That is just one of the symptoms. If there is a leak in the transmission, those sounds are a lot more scarier. It can sound like you are dragging a muffler under the car.
I certainly would not have gone anywhere near this car if i had known what i know now. Its better now than what it was but every time i get behind the wheel i am always feeling and listening for the sounds. It really has caused psychological scars sadly.

Do dealerships buy back cars in general? Even if there isn't a problem?
Thanks for the info. Since you advise that not all transmissions show the problem shouldn't Ford be able to isolate a common fault or setting or heaven forbid slack parts quality and fix it ??
Old 30-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #320
alokin123

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Since you advise that not all transmissions show the problem shouldn't Ford be able to isolate a common fault or setting or heaven forbid slack parts quality and fix it ??
You would think so wouldn't you? Well i think Ford thought they had a fix, which was probably the reason they waited ages to acknowledge the problem and then extended the warranty on the clutches but you can read the numerous tales online of people who have been through numerous clutches with the problem returning. So either its a faulty part or maybe the people replacing them arent doing it properly. I dont know.

Last i heard people have been told there is like a 3 month wait for new clutches.

Having said all that, the Diesel version of the Focus uses a wet clutch which from all reports doesnt have this problem. Doesnt really help us petrol owners
Old 02-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #321
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the focus has been good for a while with its new clutch ect that was replaced by ford. But the shudder is back and the indecisive nature of the transmission.
It's booked in at ford on monday but seems like it's time to sell as the focus once its out of warranty will be a very expensive car to fix.
Anyone else notice the shudder is back after ford supposedly replaced clutch? mind you we have done 15000km since they fixed it last time.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #322
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76 View Post
Anyone else notice the shudder is back after ford supposedly replaced clutch? mind you we have done 15000km since they fixed it last time.
Yes i dont think it will ever go away sadly. But the shudder is "normal" apparently.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #323
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

MIL just had the clutch replaced. She's happy about the fact that the car doesn't bunny hop when taking off. Not happy about the this garbage clutch.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #324
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Ours was doing it within 4 weeks of there supposed fix.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #325
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
These transmissions are supposed to automatically adjust as the clutch faces wear, they just don't seem to be able to get the software right.

This is why multiple owners report transmissions getting clutch replacements that revert back to poor performance over time.

These dry clutch DCTs were just a bad idea, they should have stuck with the wet clutch instead of chasing the minor fuel efficiency gain.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #326
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is sad, would be a great car if they'd stop mucking around with the automatic tranmissions. KISS.
Will be selling the car soon and sadly won't buy another ford.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #327
mihailou
Starter Motor

Today's Courier Mail's Carsguide has a letter from a Focus owner who advises that their car will go in for it's 6th fix.
Ford's reply states that they are aware of "some" customers concerns and are working with them and request that any customers with issues to contact their local dealer to resolve the issue.
So there we are the issues are under control.
As a matter of personal curiosity what percentage of these transmissions are having problems is it 1 in 2 or 10 or 100?? Does anyone apart from Ford have any idea ??
Old 04-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #328
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
As a matter of personal curiosity what percentage of these transmissions are having problems is it 1 in 2 or 10 or 100?? Does anyone apart from Ford have any idea ??
I have added a Poll with an option for those that have had no issues..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #329
christianj

Can you add had the problem & sold car (we had it multiple times)
Old 05-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #330
SydneyBoy
Starter Motor

It's also important with the poll to recognise the focus and focus diesel have two different power shift dual clutches.. Diesel has wet and petrol had dry.. Most people with diesel are not having issues its only the petrol dey clutch so your stats may not reflect a true result unless people nominate which transmission they have!!
SydneyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post