Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 10:02 PM   #10591
tweeked
N/A all the way

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Unless you get a clot first...
1 in 300,000 chance........ Think we will be fine.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:31 PM   #10592
mostly_broncos

Before the US stopped the J & J shot because of the clots my two neighbors ( both in their 60's both over weight ) got it at the same time and then spent 2 weeks worried sick about a blood clot.

Here my mom got Moderna 1 day sick after second shot
sister got moderna 4 days sick after second shot
brother got pfizer 2 days sick after second shot
cousin got pfizer , second shot was yesterday is sick now
friend got moderna second shot is next monday he weighs 400 pounds hes nervous he booked 2 days sick time in advance

I haven't gotten any because I had the covid last summer I figured I'd wait , I will probably go moderna , in the next month walk ups should be much easier to book the rush for vaxx is ebbing , half of my state is fully vaxxed supposedly
This user likes this post:
Old 10-05-2021, 11:58 PM   #10593
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Unless you get a clot first...
Catch22 I suppose but hey with my health in the last 15 years has been one big risk for me so no use worrying about your fate; just get and enjoy life with what time you have left is my motto.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2021, 07:46 AM   #10594
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Let me make that easy for you. They are never on the menu.
The UK is breaking step.

Source
Old 11-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #10595
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Catch22 I suppose but hey with my health in the last 15 years has been one big risk for me so no use worrying about your fate; just get and enjoy life with what time you have left is my motto.
That the one assured fact about life, something is going to come along and kill you. Might as well have a life while you have it.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #10596
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT May 10th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

15 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.040%.

2 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.983% and active cases 27.

The UK had a higher 2,357 cases yesterday and 4 deaths.

Just under 30k new cases in the USA yesterday and 238 deaths sees CMR at 1.779% - that's the first day under 30k cases since June last year. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Global cases pass 159M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Asia passes 44M cases;
India passes 250k (official) deaths;

Only -
Maldives (1,204);
Seychelles (1,770);
Costa Rica (3,463) on 9/5; and
Nepal (9,127)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Afghanistan moves above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while Turkey drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2021, 12:50 PM   #10597
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
1 in 300,000 chance........ Think we will be fine.
As of a few days ago, there had been 44 cases of clots after people have taken AZ, with 11 of those as having confirmed links. Not sure if some of the others have been ruled out or still under investigation At the same stage, 1.7m doses of AZ had been administered. So if you take the 11, that's 1 in 150,000.

Both my folks have now had their first AZ jab.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #10598
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Zombie alert Victoria!

Victorian health authorities are urgently investigating the source of infection for a man who has tested positive to coronavirus at his home in Wollert, north of Melbourne.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...urne/100131038
Old 11-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #10599
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Looking at India again.

The global mortality rate is currently sitting at a fraction over 2% but that's being kept down by the Asian figure of 1.3% and India makes up more than half those cases but only 43% of the deaths.

Oceania is the next lowest (1.9%) but as it's mostly made up of islands, their ability to contain spread and have manageable case loads has helped keep it a little below the global average.

Europe and North America are pretty line-ball at 2.2% although we know Russia has been under-reporting deaths but even adding in 100k more only raises that to 2.5%.

Africa and South America are the highest at around 2.7% and I think that is probably an accurate reflection of their health systems and some spikes in case numbers but it's also probably at least where India should be.

So, if we look at India as being 2.7% rather than the current 1.087%, that's going to add something like 370k more deaths to their total and take the Asian percentage to a more realistic 2.1% and even that might well be understating it.

Case numbers have started to fall in India but the 10 day average is still a little over 380k/day and there might well be an increase coming for mortalities as we know there is a 10-14 day lag between infection and death and the 3.5-4k deaths currently being reported is (sadly) nowhere near enough when 10 days ago case averages were 360k/day which should now translate to something between 7k (2%) and 9k (2.7%) per day.

Like Russia, we'll never know the real numbers. It will take India two years to even provide 'all causes' mortality numbers but at least we should be able to extrapolate ball park real numbers based on the delta between a 'normal' year and 2021.

Having said that, the 'official' mortality numbers peaked last Friday with a little over 4k deaths reported but because they only record deaths for those who had been previously diagnosed, that's clearly not going to include them all.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2021, 05:45 PM   #10600
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's gotta be a win for AZ. Also heard that the EU won't be taking any AZ orders from June onwards, so supply shortage should no longer be an excuse?

Zero daily coronavirus deaths in England for only second time since pandemic began

https://www.theage.com.au/world/euro...11-p57qo0.html
Old 11-05-2021, 06:10 PM   #10601
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

NSW's testing figures have dropped off dramatically in the last 24 hours. Only 7,724 tests conducted! In the middle of restrictions and trying to find the "missing link", that is a very low number. Peak in the last few days was Saturday 8th with 22,153 tests. That is more like it. Maybe being a Saturday helped there. What is going on in NSW??

Compare that to VIC's figures (where there has been no community transmission) in the last few days; 11 May - 12,918, 10 May - 10,546, 09 May - 13,230, 08 May - 18,517, 07 May - 16,135, 06 May - 16,400, 05 May - 19,402. Well done VIC's.

Maybe the entire NSW should be declared a red zone until NSW starts to follow the other States and Territories approach. Too much risk to the other States/Territories just because one particular Premier wants to play political games.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:22 PM   #10602
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
NSW's testing figures have dropped off dramatically in the last 24 hours. Only 7,724 tests conducted! In the middle of restrictions and trying to find the "missing link", that is a very low number. Peak in the last few days was Saturday 8th with 22,153 tests. That is more like it. Maybe being a Saturday helped there. What is going on in NSW??

Compare that to VIC's figures (where there has been no community transmission) in the last few days; 11 May - 12,918, 10 May - 10,546, 09 May - 13,230, 08 May - 18,517, 07 May - 16,135, 06 May - 16,400, 05 May - 19,402. Well done VIC's.

Maybe the entire NSW should be declared a red zone until NSW starts to follow the other States and Territories approach. Too much risk to the other States/Territories just because one particular Premier wants to play political games.
Perhaps the low numbers was because people didn't want to get tested...................... like your Infection control manager who was stood down?
Old 11-05-2021, 06:47 PM   #10603
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Perhaps the low numbers was because people didn't want to get tested...................... like your Infection control manager who was stood down?
Interesting you say that about people not wanting to get tested I think a lot of people are getting sick of this covid b.s. rules and wanting to get back to normality.
Just my opinion after having everyday discussions with people.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2021, 06:53 PM   #10604
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Interesting you say that about people not wanting to get tested I think a lot of people are getting sick of this covid b.s. rules and wanting to get back to normality.
Whether I agree about any restrictions or not, I think that people are going to have to start getting used to normality will never be the same again... well not in our lifetimes anyway.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2021, 07:19 PM   #10605
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not surprised that the testing rate would be higher in VIC on any given day. Given the lockdowns a higher testing rate is more likely to help the itchy trigger fingers.

In NSW there is a high degree of confidence in the contact tracing system and so far that has been proven with only local lockdowns.

I'm not saying the testing rates are adequate but that is on people to rock up for one not a capacity issue I'd say. It might bite in the **** one day but who knows.

You can test the whole country and you will still have missing links, it is just reality.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:28 PM   #10606
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Clean-cut lad...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...down/100116928
Old 11-05-2021, 07:46 PM   #10607
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
In NSW there is a high degree of confidence in the contact tracing system and so far that has been proven with only local lockdowns.
Is that the same contact tracing system that still cannot trace how the Northern Beaches cluster started? The same system that still hasn't traced exactly how the Berala cluster started and spread? The same system that doesn't know who gave the BBQ man Covid?

High degree of confidence?? Yeah.. nah.

Geez, if only we had proper quarantine facilities that can match what Howard Springs in the NT are doing eh? Returning Australians are arriving without Covid, only to leave hotel quarantine WITH Covid in other facilities!! Then they're out and about in the community potentially spreading it. Which leads to restrictions, lockdowns, people needing to get tested, etc, etc, etc!!

So far, not one returnee has left Howard Springs after catching Covid DURING quarantine! Must be working ok. Anyone know why?
Old 11-05-2021, 07:58 PM   #10608
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Clean-cut lad...
Ah yes, Matiu Bush. Previously employed as Senior Strategist at Bolton Clarke, Australia's largest aged care provider.

Who's in charge of aged care in Australia again?

Hmmm.... I think I smell a Federal sized dead rat.

Last edited by Tickford.; 11-05-2021 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:59 PM   #10609
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's not neccesarily an issue with the system. The system is only as good as the completeness and timeliness of data it has and that relies on people.

Naturally in some cases there won't be data to link cases because it stil comes down to a persons ability to provide accurate information of their exact whereabouts.

The high confidence comes from the fact that despite it jumping the line so to speak, we have not seen huge outbreaks. It isn't all luck mate, it must be pretty effective.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:03 PM   #10610
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So far, not one returnee has left Howard Springs after catching Covid DURING quarantine! Must be working ok. Anyone know why?
I'm going to guess 2 things.
1. Flights going into Darwin don't have people who qualify for exemptions.
2. Howard Springs is run by experts specifically trained to do this kind of thing day to day, AUSMAT NCCTRC. Whereas state quarantine facilities are put together with health officials who don't normally do this kind of work, but were "quickly" trained to fill a gap.

Quote:
Agree. We haven't really had a real outbreak since Christmas / New Years. People are over it. No one is worrying about the little sniffle any longer.

Last edited by T3rminator; 11-05-2021 at 08:09 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2021, 08:10 PM   #10611
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not to mention it is an air gapped facility.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2021, 08:20 PM   #10612
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

So, based on its apparent success, Howard Springs likely has “commodity” value. I await our government selling 49.5% to foreign interests.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #10613
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Exposure sites linked to Victoria Wollert COVID-19 case revealed

Exposure sites linked to Victoria COVID case revealed, including restaurant and supermarket
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...ites/100131744
Old 11-05-2021, 09:50 PM   #10614
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Ah yes, Matiu Bush. Previously employed as Senior Strategist at Bolton Clarke, Australia's largest aged care provider.

Who's in charge of aged care in Australia again?

Hmmm.... I think I smell a Federal sized dead rat.
A Victorian sized one anyway.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:56 PM   #10615
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Whether I agree about any restrictions or not, I think that people are going to have to start getting used to normality will never be the same again... well not in our lifetimes anyway.
Covid will be like the flu in years to come, people will take vaccines if they choose to do so and yes our lives will return to normality.
Time will tell.
Cheers.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2021, 01:14 AM   #10616
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Does anyone know what the current protocol is for travel from northern NSW(Casino) to Adelaide via Coolangatta is?

I ask as i need to get my best mates Daughter here to SA pronto, we've just been informed that he has a terminal illness and will only last days.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:25 AM   #10617
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Forget the “clean cut” bit...
What really, REALLY gets on my goat is this “THEY” non-binary pronoun gender crap!!
Is the article talking about “HIS” entire department? Or just “HIM”???
For fecks sake.... THEY, THEM... surely refer to more than one???
The world’s feckled I’m convinced
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2021, 06:58 AM   #10618
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Don’t burst our bubble (that you live like someone in an idyllic daydream) and say that even CR is going that way in language/syntax/grammar.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:12 AM   #10619
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Does anyone know what the current protocol is for travel from northern NSW(Casino) to Adelaide via Coolangatta is?

I ask as i need to get my best mates Daughter here to SA pronto, we've just been informed that he has a terminal illness and will only last days.
Shame about your mate, must be a shock for everyone even if you sort-of knew it was on the cards.

His daughter will need to complete the “Cross Border Travel” e-form… It’s normally supposed to be done a week ahead. I’m sure there’s a way to expedite it but you would presume that includes needing a scanned letter from the palliative care practitioner. Coolangatta would just be considered transiting if she’s changing flights, so not really an issue in terms of where you’re coming from.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2021, 11:20 AM   #10620
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Shame about your mate, must be a shock for everyone even if you sort-of knew it was on the cards.

His daughter will need to complete the “Cross Border Travel” e-form… It’s normally supposed to be done a week ahead. I’m sure there’s a way to expedite it but you would presume that includes needing a scanned letter from the palliative care practitioner. Coolangatta would just be considered transiting if she’s changing flights, so not really an issue in terms of where you’re coming from.
Thanks mate, didnt know the extent of it till last night, was admitted for emergency surgery to remove a blood clot from his bowel last wednesday, went under again Friday and was on the mend so we thought, woke up yesterday feeling unwell again and had scans and opened up again to discover entire bowel had died, not survivable, just keeping him comfortable until he shuts down, cant believe it tbh.

Ive booked a flight for his Daughter to depart cooly at 11.30ish, shes driving to cooly from casino, never even considered COVID at the time, last thing on my mind.
5 users like this post:
Closed Thread