Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 11-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #1
ppshy1
Starter Motor

Default After sales packages

Good Day guys

I was here asking about buying a Mondeo Ecoboost. I made a offer and accepted on a My17.5 titanium Mondeo in white.

Anyway after spending money on the car + insurance + rego (in 2 months time as it is a ex head office car with 3500km on the clock).

Anyway i felt really pressured on the after sales packages. I really want to tint my front 2 windows and windscreen but Ford started from $950 and dropped down to 650. Still outside my budget.

Paint protection sounds appealing as my car is always targeted by birds at work but $850 once again is way too much.

Is is worth getting a 3rd party company to do the paint protection.
Tinting is it even ADR approved?

Looking to get it one in SE suburbs Melb. Pakenham area. If anyone knows a good place. But main reason for this post is advice on what you guys did

Thanks
ppshy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: After sales packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshy1 View Post
Good Day guys

I was here asking about buying a Mondeo Ecoboost. I made a offer and accepted on a My17.5 titanium Mondeo in white.

Anyway after spending money on the car + insurance + rego (in 2 months time as it is a ex head office car with 3500km on the clock).

Anyway i felt really pressured on the after sales packages. I really want to tint my front 2 windows and windscreen but Ford started from $950 and dropped down to 650. Still outside my budget.

Paint protection sounds appealing as my car is always targeted by birds at work but $850 once again is way too much.

Is is worth getting a 3rd party company to do the paint protection.
Tinting is it even ADR approved?

Looking to get it one in SE suburbs Melb. Pakenham area. If anyone knows a good place. But main reason for this post is advice on what you guys did

Thanks
The tinting is waaaaay too dear. Ring a couple of local window tinters and get some prices. They will also be able to give you some proper advice.

Same thing goes for the paint protection. Too dear for what they supply. Have a look in the car care section for some different options.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2018, 10:17 PM   #3
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You will usually find dealer protection type packages are much dearer than stand alone tinters etc. As regards tints there are regs regarding the amount of tint.You can’t get extra tint on windscreens other than that which come with factory tint.Drivers window can only have a light tint,whereas rear door windows and rear windscreens can be as dark as you want,fact you don,t even have to be able to see through the rear window.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2018, 11:23 PM   #4
Moo Man

Definitely get some quotes from local tinters and car detailers.

The paint protection packages the dealers offer vary in quality but with a reputable car detailer the chances are you'll either get a cheaper price for the same job as the dealer provides or a much better job for the same $850 the dealer wants to charge you.

As an example of the above I know a detailer who does paint protection on new cars for a large dealer, it's a good quality product (ceramic coating) but for the amount the dealer pays the detailer he can only spend 2 hours max prepping and coating the car, it's still an OK result but if you went to him direct with the same $$ you paid the dealer he'd spend most of the day on your car and the results would be far superior - even paint on brand new cars can be improved substantially by an experienced detailer and if the car you are purchasing has been in the yard for a while it's probably been washed a few times and covered in swirl marks. I can't recommend any one for you as I'm in NSW but I'm sure other members can steer you in the right direction.

I've never purchased a new car from a dealer but a friend purchased a Mustang and was looking at rolling up the dealer paint protection and tinting in the financing. They were ready to sign with the dealer but I encouraged them to look into an independant detailer first and they couldn't be happier with the results, ended up 1/3 of the original price the dealer offered and the end result was flawless, full paint correction and ceramic coating (including removing all 4 wheels for coating and the brake calipers).

It's easy to feel pressured by the dealers, but you can say no to them. Don't forget it's their job to sell and quite often these packages that they end up charging sub $1,000 for start at $2,000+ plus so their margins (and incentive to sell) are huge, even after they do you a 'huge' favour and bring the price down you're still paying more than you have to.

You mentioned the extras were outside your budget so also consider what you really need and if you want to spend the extra. Paint protection can be great but still needs to be looked after for the best long term results, ceramic coatings do offer that extra level of protection but if you're willing (and have the time) to learn correct techniques and have a regular washing / waxing routine you can still maintain an excellent finish on the paint. Super important to get that bird poo off asap too, regardless of whether you end up with a ceramic coating or a less permanent sealer or wax!

There's a heap of information on the forums for cleaning and maintaining paint so look through that to help with your decision. A little bit of extra knowledge on the subject will help with the dealer too, either finding out exactly what they are offering with their packages or give you a bit more confidence in declining their pitch if it's not for you.
2 users like this post: