Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #31
Aeron
DJR Fan

All I can say is, Its about time!
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Old 05-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #32
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler
Yeah thats were Im coming from as far as models lineup should sit. Your spot on!

But I dont think the GT hit the spot at all. Everyone got star'y eyed when they first came out & didnt look beond the badge. After a short time there were places popping up everywere offering power [bolt on] upgrade's everywere for them, that tells me they [owners] were expecting more & the GTs just wasn't delivering the rush..

Well thats what I found when I drove them, & by the looks of it I was right.

If FPV do this new model, I think being priced in the right spot, they'll sell well.
But they need to be a faster,lighter, better handling & cheaper car than the current GT.. Then HSV better look out!!!!
I don't think all the bolt on's appeared as a result of the car being slow, if thats the case why isn't there more mods for the 5.oL and it's varient's. They popped up as there is potenital in the boss engine that hadn't been tapped from the factory, 33o cubes and a set of heads that flow as much as the boss items HAS to make more power than 35ohp. Not to mention the fact that all people are in business to make money and those in the game saw there was a good market to make money from.

We look at this from 2 different angles, but you are right the next platform needs to be lighter, faster & capable of handling better. There's 2 ways to make a car quicker, make it more powerfull or make it lighter. The Boss is capable of making plenty of power n/a. Ivé stripped & cutup a few of these things now and honestly i don't see how you could drop 2ookg's without the use of massivley expensive materials.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #33
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the "R" kit might solve allot of issues for a small number of people.. Realistically the GT package is VERY good, it might not be the 1/4 mile weapon that the HSV's are, but 1/4 times arent everything.
I also think the expectations of a car called "GT" were far loftier than they were for the T cars, hence some dissatisfaction however some people forget the GT was quicker over the 1/4, produced far more power and was a nicer package to drive from day 1, it was an improvement in every way, except maybe closed course lap times, which lets face it, only interest a few people, which i guess are the ones who will buy the R kit. I believe it was just not as big of an improvement than what many expected, or expected of a car called "GT".

Old 05-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #34
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
I don't think it’s a new model but rather an extension of the option list which has been rumoured before. Could be wrong though.

As far as the GT not hitting the spot removing features isn't what is required or expected, in fact it’s the opposite. GT buyers are and would be asking why they have to pay more for less to get the equivalent amount of performance from a car wearing the blue oval.

Once donor cars get to a certain spec level the cost in removing features to save what essentially will be a minute amount of weight would end up adding thousands to the list price of the car, simply because the task would be labour intensive.

The number one issue with the GT is a lack of low down response which a tune will fix.
A retuned front end will solve much of the handling drama. Address those two issues and 99.9% of consumers will be satisfied.
So why arn't ford doing this.........
Old 05-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #35
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
They realised a $13k warranty engine does not need more power, but to run within acceptable parameters

Having both in the driveway, I love the look of the TS50, but love the pure experience of the GTP being angry.

Workshops need to design their growth well into the future, why challenge their income with limitations.

Its all a growing phase, the next release of a FPV product will be interesting, however being stung by warranty will also be timid.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #36
HSE2

Quote:

I am the wrong person to be asking this. I have gone blue in the face asking the same question. Budget is probably as good an answer to give.

My criticism with the FPV product isn't that they called one product a GT, it isn't that a Turbo six is recognised as a faster car, its that in four years neither one of these issues have been address.

Subsequently when the reviews are handed out we are hearing the same old story as we did in early 2003. It’s bad enough to do this with any model but not acceptable to do this to a car wearing the GT badge. That’s not a look backwards at history but an exclamation that the GT name deserves more - better.

Depending on what exactly this track pack is, perhaps FPV might be able to lay claim to justification.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 05-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #37
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have never heard of anyone cooking their diff, but i did notice the cover plate on the BF diff has flutes for cooling where the ba diff doesn't.
It is quite common with those who travel at high speed and corner. It is not a problem on drag strips.

When I ran into the Ford/FPV development engineers in 2003 in NT (ah those were the days) the second question I was asked was did I have any problems with diff heat. (The first question was what did I think of the GT-P at high speed).

I personally have boiled my diff twice (that I know of) once at QR, once at Lakeside. The first time I boiled it was on a JB track day so I had a number of conversations with the JB crew and other drivers. 8-10 hot laps or so is all that can be done. It also seems to be worse with stickier tyres.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:01 PM   #38
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It is quite common with those who travel at high speed and corner. It is not a problem on drag strips.

When I ran into the Ford/FPV development engineers in 2003 in NT (ah those were the days) the second question I was asked was did I have any problems with diff heat. (The first question was what did I think of the GT-P at high speed).

I personally have boiled my diff twice (that I know of) once at QR, once at Lakeside. The first time I boiled it was on a JB track day so I had a number of conversations with the JB crew and other drivers. 8-10 hot laps or so is all that can be done. It also seems to be worse with stickier tyres.
Any lasting damage after cooking the diff, or just a temporary no-LSD condition?

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
Old 05-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #39
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Any lasting damage after cooking the diff
I would have thought your first question would have been what salad he had with the diff after it was cooked.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 05-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #40
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
I would have thought your first question would have been what salad he had with the diff after it was cooked.
Clearly the words of a man who's never smelt diff oil.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

Old 05-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #41
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Clearly the words of a man who's never smelt diff oil.
Is it more of a pasta dish is it?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 05-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #42
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
I believe the same edition of motor contains details on Walkinshaws Performance version of the GTS. 370kws and 740 nm at a cost of 130k.
So far its a one off. The Kermit Green exterior is ok, dosnt look too bad actually. Its called a GTS but its based on a Senator. However, the lime green interior (seats Dash door trims) I could not live with
The article after the one on the GTS was on a Walkinshaw Astra, and then there is another article on Walkinshaw taking over Elphin Cars.
I thought I was reading the in house Walkinshaw magazine.

I also noticed the "R" spec kit that was to be an option, I took it as a track pack, similar to the HSV "R" pack, I am surprised no one on here knows exactally what it is, someone usually has all the inside goss
Old 05-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #43
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its great they have realised the FPV's need a harder edge (even as an option). The front suspension on GT's especially could do with a firm up. Long as theres no tacky red R stripe along the back doors etc.

Great its there as an option if you dont want it you dont have to have it and it shows that FPV know they cant rest as the next model is too far away for their liking.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #44
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Any lasting damage after cooking the diff, or just a temporary no-LSD condition?
Didn't cook it, just boiled the oil (a bit), I let it cool down and it was ok. If I had kept playing it would have not been pretty.

C'mon SB, it is pasta joke when you make divisal ad hoc remarks about GM's culinary preferences.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #45
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Quote:
Didn't cook it, just boiled the oil (a bit), I let it cool down and it was ok. If I had kept playing it would have not been pretty.

C'mon SB, it is pasta joke when you make divisal ad hoc remarks about GM's culinary preferences.
I give you -10 for that effort.

I might be up your way tomorrow arvo - Fancy a beer?

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

Old 05-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #46
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
They realised a $13k warranty engine does not need more power, but to run within acceptable parameters

Having both in the driveway, I love the look of the TS50, but love the pure experience of the GTP being angry.

Workshops need to design their growth well into the future, why challenge their income with limitations.

Its all a growing phase, the next release of a FPV product will be interesting, however being stung by warranty will also be timid.
How does extracting a few more ponies from the engine and setting up a better quality suspension setup have anythin to do with a 13k warrenty engine and it's acceptable parameter's ???.

You really lost me..........
Old 05-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #47
XRQTOR
Banned

I'd even be happy if you could buy a new car without the engine, box, diff, shocks/springs/swaybar's, wheel's. Couldn't care less if it didn't have warrenty.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:12 PM   #48
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Thats you, most of us want warranty

If it costs Ford to replace an engine at $13k, i wonder who would sign on the dotted line to allow for it to put out more power, of course they would go the other way, and so they should, most of the products sold are to people who will not modify their car and require some type or reliability.

Did you think Ford make cars for the enthusiast that wants to modify it?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #49
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50
So far its a one off. The Kermit Green exterior is ok, dosnt look too bad actually.

Thanks Andrew.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 05-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #50
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:

If it costs Ford to replace an engine at $13k, i wonder who would sign on the dotted line to allow for it to put out more power, of course they would go the other way, and so they should, most of the products sold are to people who will not modify their car and require some type or reliability.

The engines don't cost ford 13k and you know it, but i do see the point your getting at. I find it funny how ford au charge $18oo for the timing chain cover & $11oo for a valve cover yet i can buy the same thing from ford in the states for $143 & $153 usd each. I'll get a price on a new navi engine which is the same as the Boss except the cams.

They should but we know ford au will never do that, ford us does tho. WOuld be nice if they let us buy a car minus bit's...
Old 05-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #51
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Your right, complete dribble, must be catching on, I have to wonder sometime why I bother
Old 05-01-2007, 07:14 PM   #52
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Dont tell me what I know or dont know, I have to wonder sometime why I bother
But seriously mate just because ford's list price is 13k do you honestly belive they pay that for it.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #53
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Ive changed my reply, Im also not going to respond further.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:31 PM   #54
298pursuit
Banned

bout time
Old 05-01-2007, 09:44 PM   #55
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No you are wrong, it is all a conspiracy. The modular V8 and I6 are fully imported to a secret base at the bottom of Bass Strait. There is no development.
When the EA was released the DIVCT engine was sitting in boxes but Ford did not let us have them because Ford is actually owned by streetcommodores.com.au. They got the plans off ebay and have been making them in the same facility where the backward caps are built. They only let out slightly less knobbled ones every year to make us buy more. King island is actually the pile of turbos removed of every new falcon sold from 1988 to 2002. The is why the cheese is so good, they have lots of really small churns.
The BOSS v8 was not developed here either. It is actually a holographic simulator attached to clevos that was first found on the spaceship that one of our members landed on.
The reason why the BOSS has not changed in power is that after CAPA accidently sold FPV a flasher they refused to tell them how to use it so they are stuck with a generic tune.
The teams od research and development engineers that spend hundreds of thousands of man hours ensuring the products comply with about a zillion domestic and international standards are actually tafe students on work experience because we all know the REAL experts are the ones whacking one part they bought from supacheap onto another part they bought from fullysikfords'r'us and whinge and ***** when it breaks or is not light speed fully sik fast.

The $13k is just to make the balance sheet look good to Streetcommodore Anderson Touche Ross KPMG, the auditors.

You can buy BOSS engines direct from the secret base for $199 split over 4 easy payments of $80 but only if you buy now.

Phone 1800 IAM ARICER, their phones are standing by.

But wait there is more.

If you buy now you get another BOSS absolutely free.

I know this true because Happy Jack once had a beer with a guy who went out with a hairdresser that drinks at the same coffeshop as my cat.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:48 PM   #56
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
No you are wrong, it is all a conspiracy. The modular V8 and I6 are fully imported to a secret base at the bottom of Bass Strait. There is no development.
When the EA was released the DIVCT engine was sitting in boxes but Ford did not let us have them because Ford is actually owned by streetcommodores.com.au. They got the plans off ebay and have been making them in the same facility where the backward caps are built. They only let out slightly less knobbled ones every year to make us buy more. King island is actually the pile of turbos removed of every new falcon sold from 1988 to 2002. The is why the cheese is so good, they have lots of really small churns.
The BOSS v8 was not developed here either. It is actually a holographic simulator attached to clevos that was first found on the spaceship that one of our members landed on.
The reason why the BOSS has not changed in power is that after CAPA accidently sold FPV a flasher they refused to tell them how to use it so they are stuck with a generic tune.
The teams od research and development engineers that spend hundreds of thousands of man hours ensuring the products comply with about a zillion domestic and international standards are actually tafe students on work experience because we all know the REAL experts are the ones whacking one part they bought from supacheap onto another part they bought from fullysikfords'r'us and whinge and ***** when it breaks or is not light speed fully sik fast.

The $13k is just to make the balance sheet look good to Streetcommodore Anderson Touche Ross KPMG, the auditors.

You can buy BOSS engines direct from the secret base for $199 split over 4 easy payments of $80 but only if you buy now.

Phone 1800 IAM ARICER, their phones are standing by.

But wait there is more.

If you buy now you get another BOSS absolutely free.

Is this the silliest reply you have got so far? Or just the one that is supposed to be silly......
Mature..........
Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #57
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Tony, post of the year!!

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Old 05-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #58
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mature..........
No sorry they are out of Mature at the moment, they do have a nice range of Cheddar and Edam though......

Phone 1800 KING ISLAND TURBO CHEESE (I know it is a long number but it is overseas..)

P.S. you can buy a six pack or two four packs joined at an angle.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:59 PM   #59
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Well this got funny all of a sudden.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #60
Sapper
Back to the AU

Quote:
No sorry they are out of Mature at the moment, they do have a nice range of Cheddar and Edam though......

Phone 1800 KING ISLAND TURBO CHEESE (I know it is a long number but it is overseas..)

P.S. you can buy a six pack or two four packs joined at an angle.
That was funnier than the longer post. But that might be because the longer post is actually true.

Okay, I think I am composed now.

Back on the original topic, adding a 'track pack' or 'r spec' option I think is an important part of any range as it adds another avenue of choice for a potential customer and can be an effective tool for winning sales. Sometime's its just simple changes that can transform the image of a car. For instance, my dad used to own a manual E46 320i. Being a manual, it came with sports suspension which was lower springs and stiffer shocks. It would have cost the same to build as a regular 320i except it provided a firmer ride and flatter cornering stance if the owner wanted it. Remember, one of the things that made the mustang famous was it being the first major car to have a very substantial options list. Performance options aren't all that common now but I really think they have a place in the car industry which should not be underestimated.
Closed Thread