Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default And you didn't think you could give a Proton Wira Away

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nati...fter-by-parts/

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: PETALING JAYA: The Proton Wira, which has little value in the used car market, is surprisingly a hot item among thieves.
Last year, statistics showed this model was number one on the stolen cars list. A total of 654 cars were reported stolen.

General Insurance Association of Malaysia (PIAM) chief executive Mark Lim said the cars were definitely stolen for the parts.

“We believe the stolen vehicles were cannibalised and the parts sold as production of spare parts for this model has been stopped and the parts are difficult to obtain in the market,” he said in an interview with The Star.

A Proton spare parts dealer in Jalan Ipoh in Kuala Lumpur said many of the Wira’s interior items are no longer in production.

These include the dashboard, instrument panel, control panels, cushions, speedometer, handbrake lever, steering and other smaller items inside the car.

“The parts are scattered and difficult to find in the market. Even if they are available, the items could be the last few from the old stock.”

He said many Proton Wira spare parts were becoming more difficult to find as the items were no longer in production.

The industry, he said, had been told by Proton Wira spare parts manufacturers that the company planned to cease the production of parts for this model by the year’s end as it is no longer economically viable to make it.

The only option, he said, was to find the spare parts at the “potong-kereta” outlets. Proton Wira was produced between early 1993 and June 2009.

In its 16 years production, 952,216 units were sold. It has been estimated that at least 85% of the models are still on the road.

A second-hand car dealer, James Lim, said a Proton Wira in good condition could fetch between RM2,000 and RM4,500 each, depending on the year the car was manufactured and its model – either automatic or manual, hatchback or saloon.

“The value of the model offered by second-hand dealers is definitely much lower than the market price. Some dealers are only offering as much as RM1,000 for the model.”

He said many second-hand dealers were reluctant to trade this model as they found it difficult to dispose of the vehicles as buyers have to pay cash for the car.

“The model is too old, spare parts are difficult to find and banks have refused loans. Even many insurance companies would not want to insure the vehicles. If they do, Proton Wira car owners have to pay a higher premium and additional loading for it,” he said.

He said the model had been tagged as “high-risk cars for the second-hand market”.

However, a Sungai Besi junkyard operator, who only wanted to be identified as Lim, said the model still had value, either as scrap metal or second-hand parts.

A Proton Wira could fetch between RM5,000 and RM7,000 if the vehicle was cannibalised.

The gearbox and engine alone can fetch between RM1,000 and RM2,500 each, depending on its model and year the vehicle is ma**nufactured.

“The speedometer and other gadgets on the dashboard can fetch good prices as many are no longer or easily available in the market,” he said.

The entire original seats, if in good condition, could be disposed of for RM200 a set.

The junkyard operator said Proton Wira spare parts were considered a hot item in the second-hand market as there are still many cars of this model on the road.

“It was one of the robust cars, where many of its parts and engines were directly imported from Japan, to be assembled locally when it was first introduced to the market.”

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nati...3g3xmuXk8ge.99
Old 02-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: And you didn't think you could give a Proton Wira Away

Malaysia is my home country, and the Proton Saga and Wira are basically the equivalent of the Holden Commodore here. I wonder if this will become a problem here in a few years, as Holden Commodores will continue to have a strong following in the secondhand markets post-mortem and spares will be harder and harder to find
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I just got back from holidaying in KL 3 days ago (hence my interest in following Malaysian news) and I must say a lot of the Wira's still on the road there now looked pretty battered and worn. Perodua also seem to be overtaking Proton as the most popular car there, but Toyota and Honda also seem popular. But they are proud of their Protons and even have them in their National Museum (together with an historic Rolls Royce) as per these happy holiday snaps I took there:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_1574.jpg (150.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 101_1573.jpg (158.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 101_1572.jpg (153.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by aussiblue; 02-04-2018 at 03:44 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can see the heavy Mitsubishi influence in the 80s (and 90s) Protons - that boxy white thing looks like a Colt sized sedan, with Magna styling, and a Cordia nose. There were many variants of the Mitsi theme that interchanged in that period - like the utes that could accept a sigma front clip - in other markets the basic models were a sigma shell with that ute front clip on them.

I have a few work colleague friends who live in Malaysia, way down south, just to the east of Singapore, and travel into Singapore each day. The cost of road tax is phenomenal for them. They also keep cars for relatives who live in Singapore, as they have strict rules, and expensive "licences" that last 10 years, and cost almost as much as a new car.

But at least the Malaysians got something right with the car industry - well, based on my colleagues love of cars - they seem to have embodied the patriotic support of their local manufacturing. Sure, their industry had many protections (making it very unfair for Australia) but other ASEAN built cars were close to exempt, if not totally exempt, but they still bought a lot of locally manufactured vehicles.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perodua has well and truly outstripped Proton for many years in Malaysia. The Myvi is just about everywhere and Proton are not seen as a desirable brand to own.

Not so sure the Malaysian govt. got the car industry right, industry protection artificially increases the cost of cars there. For instance, the Preve starts at around rm$57,000 and in Aust, around $19,000 so on the surface, about the same but salaries are much lower in Malaysia therefore, not as affordable for their OWN car, never mind the more desirable Japanese or 'continental' brands. This leads to heaps of heaps on the road and a demand for spare parts hence the issue with the old Wira (an old Mitsu Lancer).

Interestingly, I remember reading a similar article here in Australia many years ago, the car in question was the Datsun 120Y...
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 11:30 PM   #6
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
Perodua has well and truly outstripped Proton for many years in Malaysia. The Myvi is just about everywhere and Proton are not seen as a desirable brand to own.

Not so sure the Malaysian govt. got the car industry right, industry protection artificially increases the cost of cars there. For instance, the Preve starts at around rm$57,000 and in Aust, around $19,000 so on the surface, about the same but salaries are much lower in Malaysia therefore, not as affordable for their OWN car, never mind the more desirable Japanese or 'continental' brands. This leads to heaps of heaps on the road and a demand for spare parts hence the issue with the old Wira (an old Mitsu Lancer).

Interestingly, I remember reading a similar article here in Australia many years ago, the car in question was the Datsun 120Y...
The MyVi is a flaming disgrace, I have had the misfortune of driving my grandma's MyVi. It is basically a rebadged Daihatsu 3 Cyl junk box (Daihatsu Mira is the donor car, IIRC). Its predecessor, the 'Kancil' is even worse, exposed metal bodywork in the interior, even less power and the chassis feels as thin an flimsy as a tin can. A Proton Wira or Satria feels way more solid than these deathtraps.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
The MyVi is a flaming disgrace, I have had the misfortune of driving my grandma's MyVi. It is basically a rebadged Daihatsu 3 Cyl junk box (Daihatsu Mira is the donor car, IIRC). Its predecessor, the 'Kancil' is even worse, exposed metal bodywork in the interior, even less power and the chassis feels as thin an flimsy as a tin can. A Proton Wira or Satria feels way more solid than these deathtraps.
I wouldn't be caught dead driving a MyVi mate. Having said that, I do get behind the wheel of a Kembara (Daihatsu Terios) on occasion when I just want to pop up to the local pasar but beyond that, KL traffic is too crazy to risk your life in something so small/unsafe.

Sometimes drive a current model Preve, uninspiring with a rough donk but it does have a suspension 'tuned by Lotus'. Also a Naza Citra (Kia), big ole bus but tough and reliable as nails. Did drive a Perdana for a while years back and didn't actually mind it!
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post