Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
Sioso
irregular member

Default Hyundai i30N

Photos in the article.
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/h...12-gx9jcp.html

South Korean brand whips the covers off its Volkswagen Golf GTI rival

Hyundai has turned up the heat in the hot hatch segment with its first dedicated performance car.

The South Korean car maker has revealed official details of its highly-anticipated i30 N, confirming the front-drive pocket rocket will be soldin Europe as two distinct models both of which generate more power than the Volkswagen Golf GTI it is benchmarked against.

Due to arrive in Australian showrooms in November, Hyundai Australia has yet to determine whether it will offer the standard i30 N alongside the upgraded Performance Pack variant that will set the tone for the brand's first attempt at a vehicle designed primarily for driving enthusiasts.

It has also not revealed where it will be positioned among its competitors in terms of price, but Hyundai has indicated it is aiming to at least match the basic Golf GTI's $41,490 (plus on-roads) sticker for the fully-loaded i30 N Performance Pack with the standard model coming in at around $37,500 if it decides to offer both.

As the first images showcase, the hot hatch wears a host of unique design elements to give it a more muscular appearance than the cooking-version i30 hatch models, including a more aggressive front bumper with large air intakes crowned by LED driving lights on each side and a front splitter with a signature red highlight that protrudes from the lower edge to improve downforce at speeds. The outer edges of the bumper have been hollowed to create 'air fences' that direct air into the wheel arches to reduce turbulence and improve brake cooling.

The rear-end also features a new bumper with a race-style diffuser with a twin-exhaust system and a unique rear wing mounted on top of the hatch with a triangular stop light.

Both models are powered by a 2.0-litre turbo charged four-cylinder engine that drives the front wheels through a six-speed manual transmission, which will be the only gearbox offered initially but it is known that Hyundai is working on a seven-speed dual-clutch unit.

In the standard version it pumps out 184kW at 6000rpm and 353Nm of torque between 1450-4000rpm and powers through a conventional front differential with the ability to sprint from 0-100km/h in 6.4 seconds.

The Performance Pack increases the duration of maximum boost pressure to extend its maximum torque figure to 4700rpm, which improves its power to 202kW. It has an electro-mechanical limited slip diff and a shorter final drive ratio which contribute to lowering its 0-100km/h time to 6.1 seconds.

Apart from those extras, the Performance Pack also picks up a bi-modal exhaust system as well as more supportive front seats, higher-grade interior trim with leather and suede throughout the cabin and a larger 8.0-inch colour touch screen multi media system with Bluetooth, digital radio, sat nav, smartphone mirroring and specific N performance pages that allows the driver to customise the settings for individual parameters of the car as well as monitor the engine's outputs while on the fly.

Those behind the wheel can quickly toggle through multiple driving modes - Eco, Normal and Sport - using the paddle under the left-hand steering wheel spoke or instant access to the track-focused N mode on the other side. Drivers can also tailor the engine's responsiveness, the amount of clamping on the differential, the stiffness of the suspension, the weight of the steering, the amount of intervention from the electronic stability control and the degree of assistance offered from the rev-matching system within the transmission. Being a true driver's car, the ESC can be fully de-activated as can the rev-matching function with its own button on the steering wheel.

Both variants feature a totally unique MacPherson front strut and multi-link rear suspension set-up with adaptive dampers and an exclusive electric power steering system with the motor mounted directly to the rack for more precise feedback through the wheel. However, the standard car has 18-inch alloys wrapped in Michelin rubber where the Performance Pack has larger 19-inch alloys fitted with Pirelli P-Zero tyres developed exclusively for the i30 N.

The i30 N hatch will be the first in a range of high-performance products developed by a team led by former BMW M boss, Albert Biermann, with the sub-brand expected to develop go-fast versions of the upcoming Kona small SUV, the swoopier i30 Fastback and the next-generation Veloster coupe.

"With the high-performance N models we will enhance our brand's appeal with emotional products that cater to the needs of people who love to have a smile on their face when they drive their car on a winding road and listen to the sound of the engine," he said.

"That's why we measure high-performance in BPM, heart beats per minute instead of only RPM."

Last edited by Sioso; 14-07-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Hyundai i30N

Doesn't look too bad.

Old 14-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

How creative. The former BMW M boss comes to Hyundai and decides to call their performance division 'N'
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

They've done a nice job for a first 'real' effort. Bit more sedate looking than expected. Great interior though. But where's that unsubstantiated 'Ring record to get some free coverage...oops sorry wrong company!

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TBH they now have my attention. First time for a Hyundai ever
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-07-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Could it be the 'N' derives from Michel Nandan, Team Principal of Hyundai Motorsports?

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
Could it be the 'N' derives from Michel Nandan, Team Principal of Hyundai Motorsports?
Quote:
N stands for 'Namyang', the name of the place where Hyundai Motor’s global R&D center is located.
http://brand.hyundai.com/en/n/about-n/about-n.do
Old 14-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #8
Sioso
irregular member

Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I call him baby blue. Where's golden boy?

Terrible colour.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #10
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I like it, should fill it's niche quite well.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #11
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Looks eerily similar to a golf. If you swapped out the badge for a vw badge, you'd be easily fooled.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #12
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Looks like the bastard child of a GTi, RS and a Golf R. Not implying thats a bad thing, in another colour it'd look rather good. 10x better than the new Type R, a little restraint can go a long way. The rear design's a little busy that's all i'd say, but from all other angles quite sweet. Be interesting to see price positioning, UK estimates above ST and below GTi. Certainly sounds the goods too, but wonder if that sound will travel here, or anywhere for that matter from the prototype.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It looks pretty decent in my opinion given it's their first real crack at this segment. Think back to when the Excel came out and they are miles away from that.

I'd probably use a better choice of colour to promote it
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2017, 12:25 AM   #14
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
TBH they now have my attention. First time for a Hyundai ever
Agreed.. Ive known Hyundai have been building decent cars for a few years now (hell, I had a 2014 I30 Tourer as a company car for a bit) but even the SR Versions of the I30 and Veloster have been a bit limp wristed..

This thing though, I love the look of it, nice interior and bloody good value.. be interesting to see the first Aussie Road Test but either way, well don't Hyundai...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It's a step up from the Veloster Turbo (which was pretty much the same engine setup as the Kia Pro C'eed GT) ... unfortunately both didn't sell too well back then ... and the Kia was dropped from the market due to lack of sales anyway.

Will be interesting to see how well this one goes against the current market.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #16
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
How creative. The former BMW M boss comes to Hyundai and decides to call their performance division 'N'
Had to look up what this is all about:

"N stands for 'Namyang', the name of the place where Hyundai Motor’s global R&D center is located."

http://brand.hyundai.com/en/n/about-n/about-n.do
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #17
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Is it just me or is 6.1 seconds a very uninspiring 0-100 time? The thing should do mid 5 or low 5 for its power figure
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Is it just me or is 6.1 seconds a very uninspiring 0-100 time? The thing should do mid 5 or low 5 for its power figure
Tough crowd... The Phase III XY GTHO was 6.4

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.a...specifications
Old 15-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #19
turbo_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
FWD has never been that great at 0-100 times, even the new Civic Type R which has about 30-35 more kw can only manage mid 5's.

Rolling acceleration is where this car will shine.
turbo_man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #20
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
It's a step up from the Veloster Turbo (which was pretty much the same engine setup as the Kia Pro C'eed GT) ... unfortunately both didn't sell too well back then ... and the Kia was dropped from the market due to lack of sales anyway.

Will be interesting to see how well this one goes against the current market.
Nearly bought a Veloster quite a different little car one of the things that put me off was the salesman couldn't tell me what was different in the motor from the N/A version he took it higher in the dealership and came back with the answer of basically nothing no forged rods nothing to strengthen the internals ? ....I wonder how strong this mill is ?

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2017, 10:12 PM   #21
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I was browsing the Hyundai dealer today, picked up a new MY17 i30 SR manual for the wife, after a spirited test drive up the Dandenongs I think I may borrow it often. They are a lot of car for the price.
The i30N with an extra 34kw would be LOT of fun.
4 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #22
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think the speedo needs to have a higher speed, maybe 500? 300 is such a small number these days...
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2017, 10:04 PM   #23
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Looks eerily similar to a golf. If you swapped out the badge for a vw badge, you'd be easily fooled.

In B4 looks like a camry
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #24
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe View Post
I was browsing the Hyundai dealer today, picked up a new MY17 i30 SR manual for the wife, after a spirited test drive up the Dandenongs I think I may borrow it often. They are a lot of car for the price.
The i30N with an extra 34kw would be LOT of fun.
I test drove an i30 SR auto last week, very impressive piece of kit. What did you get the manual for if you don't mind me asking? My Mother in law has the Elantra SR Turbo Auto and loves it. I think the N will be a great car, it will have to be with the competition it has.
Old 17-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #25
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I call him baby blue. Where's golden boy?

Terrible colour.
Powder blue with orange accents .. ah la Gulf Racing colours was my interpretation ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #26
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

In B4 looks like a camry
To be fair you have compared some sort of grandma wagon, a GTI hatch would be closer, but yes quite different
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #27
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks good, more Audi A3 like for my mind (and nothing like a Golf wagon).

I'd consider if was looking at hatches.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #28
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyB View Post
I test drove an i30 SR auto last week, very impressive piece of kit. What did you get the manual for if you don't mind me asking? My Mother in law has the Elantra SR Turbo Auto and loves it. I think the N will be a great car, it will have to be with the competition it has.
30k drive away with the usual floor matts, head light protectors, wind deflectors and metallic paint.
Old 17-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
Powder blue with orange accents .. ah la Gulf Racing colours was my interpretation ..
It's red, not orange. And what possible connection would Hyundai have to Gulf anyway? Porsche or Ford yes.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2017, 08:45 PM   #30
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day ..Not my cup of tea but it is a big step up for hatches at a good price, that's for sure..Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post