Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-11-2005, 09:50 AM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Peak Oil?

Anyone watch Catalyst on ABC last night? Interesting doomsayer article about "peak-oil". I actually thought it had a lot of technical substance (being someone outside the oil industry). A bit scary though; reaching peak-oil in about 3years and all goes into decline after that. Really makes me wonder if everyone is asleep-at-the-wheel regarding development of alternative energy sources. We all seem a bit dumb-fat-and-happy about oil and only complain when the price of petrol goes up. What happens when it dries up.
I feel depressed now .. might just stop watching TV

[Well .. if it's all going to hell I might just keep driving my five V8s with the radio blaring and be happy up to the end! ]

Rod.

OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Ive had a very keen interest in the theory of peak oil for some time now. It certainly is a scary concept. I didnt actually see the show on ABC last night.

In my opinion - the question is not wether the theory is sound. The question is - when will oil peak? You may have seen the Chevron adds being played recently. This was seen as an important move my the peak oil movement as until now, oil companies have completely dismissed the theory... it's a big thing for an energy producer to come out and talk about reaching 50% of the world's oil supply.

Dont worry about drving V8s - im not sure if they went into Jevon's paradox but it basically states the more you try and save oil - the quicker it ends up being used!!!

Here are some resources on the topic. I'd encourage anyone to have a read and see what you think.

If you thought you were scared now - have a read of this one and see the analysis on alternative fuels. Also read the impacts on economic growth and therefore the entire banking and financial system. Very depressing:

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/Index.html

And the association of peak oil - always something new being put up here:

http://www.peakoil.net/
Old 25-11-2005, 04:00 PM   #3
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Everyone knows oil can be made synthetically, so can petrol. The Germans were using synthetic petrol back in World War 2. So if oil runs out, it can be made, but at what cost???

It's scarey how much of the worlds economy is geared around oil and fuel.

The poms are sitting on a bit though, saving it for a rainy day. Remember the Falklands Islands conflict with Argentina? Well apparently those little islands in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean are sitting on a massive untapped oil reserve, property of Her Majesty. You didn't think they would fight for some penguin poo covered rock in the middle of nowhere for nothing....

I wonder how much undiscovered or untapped oil there is. Its what the fight modern wars for I suppose.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: Peak Oil?

13 years after this thread was started and we are no closer to peak oil.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...rrels-54226857

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2018, 10:07 PM   #5
CJR09
RPO 77

Shale oil though isn't it harder to extract = higher cost?

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #6
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post
Shale oil though isn't it harder to extract = higher cost?
Yes but it is oil nevertheless. There is lots of it out there but either difficult to reach or extract.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2018, 10:35 PM   #7
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry 351 View Post
Everyone knows oil can be made synthetically, so can petrol. The Germans were using synthetic petrol back in World War 2. So if oil runs out, it can be made, but at what cost???

It's scarey how much of the worlds economy is geared around oil and fuel.

The poms are sitting on a bit though, saving it for a rainy day. Remember the Falklands Islands conflict with Argentina? Well apparently those little islands in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean are sitting on a massive untapped oil reserve, property of Her Majesty. You didn't think they would fight for some penguin poo covered rock in the middle of nowhere for nothing....

I wonder how much undiscovered or untapped oil there is. Its what the fight modern wars for I suppose.

Overnight news has Bahrain discovering 80Bn barrels of reserves as shale.

& yes UK is putting new QE class aircraft carriers in the water now, any future Falklands taskforce will have considerably more punch than 1982. They suffered badly for neglecting fixed wing aviation in '82 (Ark Royal had been paid off only 3 years prior and with her went the Phantoms, it was a miracle they had the Harriers and Invincible/Hermes at all...)

My 2c - yes there are more reserves being found, but they are harder to get to, harder to process, big environmental mess in getting them. EROEI is the 'peak' phenomenon - that is, the energy obtained from the effort of processing it is going down. As EROEI lessens, societal complexity will diminish, for the complexity of our society & all the wonderful things rests on abundant easy-to-harness energy.

We are seeing US shale drillers surviving on very cheap funding, keeping them pumping where perhaps they would not at market-set rates of interest.

If you look fuel itself, the 98 mixes have high % of BTEX chemicals to add to the octane, I read that this is occuring as the quality of underlying fuel has less octane. If anyone is a petroleum engineer, Would be happy to be corrected on this.

But yeah its EROEI that is the peak phenomenon.

PS still need energy to mine and process that lithium battery, solar panel, wind turbine...

PPS the amount of energy in plastic pollutants is incredible. The world and its oceans are inundated with these high energy-storing toxic waste. A movement has begun to recover fuel from them. I calculated 20 plastic milk containers = 1L of petrol recovered...

PPPS - US Navy has successfully obtained carbon from seawater and refined it into aviation fuel.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:09 AM   #8
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Greed is the problem. Nothing more. Half the worlds wealth is owned by 1% of the population. A select few control the worlds media. Our current markets are all geared, as always, to make huge profits for a minority. Until we rethink the distribution of wealth, there is no chance we will ever give up our obsession with oil & petrol. The warning signs have been around for over 50 years, all the technology is there too but the current powerbrokers don't want to share. This is but one of so many massive issues facing us all.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 12:22 AM   #9
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how much undiscovered or untapped oil there is. Its what the fight modern wars for I suppose.[/QUOTE]

All the worlds riches have always been a source of corruption, power & greed as history has shown. The game never changes, only the players & they all have the same interests. Look at the cost of utilities in this country today compared to 5 & 10 years ago. Now look at wage growth for the same period. Only those in positions of power & those in the public service have experienced any wage increases and huge pensions. There is your answer.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #10
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Anytime real soon now the world will be inundated with electric cars and the issue of peak oil will become a non-event. Just ask Elon.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #11
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Bill Gates recently said in his future World predictions that a new source of renewable energy will be invented or discovered in the next 10 years that will power most of the World’s energy needs.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #12
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who knows. We may be discussing the best water cooling systems for our nuclear powered cars down the track
Old 06-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #13
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Captain, the dialithium crystals are about to blow.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #14
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Got me thinking about warp engine possibility.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #15
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Anytime real soon now the world will be inundated with electric cars and the issue of peak oil will become a non-event. Just ask Elon.
They'l need to burn that oil to power all the new "dirty" power stations needed in a hurry to feed the charging network. Futile effort. Simply shifting tailpipe emissions, and still burning fossil fuels....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #16
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Interesting link from Forbes Energy (March 3 2017) -

"Oil is more plentiful than you can imagine. And we keep figuring out easier and more economical ways to get it out of the ground.

But certainly, Peak Oil is not in sight, and its promise to alter energy policy and decrease petroleum use will not be a force for some time".
(With thanks to James Conca & Forbes Energy)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesco...-or-the-world/

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 03:18 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Middle East and OPEC is deliberately vague about actual oil reserves because
It wants doubt in the minds of everyone so that it can charge as much as possible.

Any attempt to squeeze more than $70/barrel out of buyers will result in Shale Oil
taking the cream off the top of sales. Anything OPEC does now to strengthen prices
only strengthens alternatives to conventional oil reserves, be that shale oil or electrification.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #18
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Middle East and OPEC is deliberately vague about actual oil reserves because
It wants doubt in the minds of everyone so that it can charge as much as possible.

Any attempt to squeeze more than $70/barrel out of buyers will result in Shale Oil
taking the cream off the top of sales. Anything OPEC does now to strengthen prices
only strengthens alternatives to conventional oil reserves, be that shale oil or electrification.
Bingo!!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 06-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #19
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Bill Gates recently said in his future World predictions that a new source of renewable energy will be invented or discovered in the next 10 years that will power most of the World’s energy needs.
Already have its called hydrogen .On a side note I am surprised anyone watches the abc anymore it has become a joke my bet is the abc will be gone before peak oil occurs.
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #20
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunga View Post
Already have its called hydrogen .On a side note I am surprised anyone watches the abc anymore it has become a joke my bet is the abc will be gone before peak oil occurs.
Start a new thread if you want about the ABC, your not the only one outraged by the current situation there imo..

cheers, Maka

Old 06-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #21
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Interesting link from Forbes Energy (March 3 2017) -

"Oil is more plentiful than you can imagine. And we keep figuring out easier and more economical ways to get it out of the ground.

But certainly, Peak Oil is not in sight, and its promise to alter energy policy and decrease petroleum use will not be a force for some time".
(With thanks to James Conca & Forbes Energy)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesco...-or-the-world/

cheers, Maka
This is True.
As the drilling technology gets more advanced. The drillers can go back to the old disused wells and can extract the oil in a more efficient way. That is cost effective.

Also in the U.S. Oil drillers have gone back to some of the old dried up wells. And they have found that the crude oil has started to refill back into the old wells.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 10:19 PM   #22
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
13 years after this thread was started and we are no closer to peak oil.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...rrels-54226857
Peak oil was all the rage when i was at Uni in the late 80's. Did an eco degree in 1999 and it was still the rage.

Just another BS academic theory that never panned out. If you did a search of academic papers there would be 10s of thousands predicting doom and gloom.....now what deos that remind me of
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 10:58 PM   #23
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oil refilling wells, oh my. Maybe the Russian Academy of Sciences were right...
Old 07-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #24
ipn
Ford Escape ZA 3.0L V6

Peek oil is like the Diamond Industry imo

If the DI released all the stored Diamonds at once glass playing Marbles would end up being dearer .

There are big fibs imo on what and where and the amount of reserves that are actually around , solely to keep the scare factor up and of course the price but its really about "Control" .

Paul .

(all you have to do is look around on google earth at the land masses and take notice on the barren types and guess what was there 100's of millions of years ago , and thats only the visible lot not underneath the oceans)
Old 07-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #25
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Peak oil is hardly BS... it's a finite resource. The BS comes from the oil companies and how big their reserves are.

What's idiotic is that its been decades since climate change/global warming scare-mongering first hit, and still science is overly pre-occupied with working out who is to blame and how long it will take, NOT how we can respond by producing a renewable resource from the CO2 we pump out. There was some awesome research a decade or so ago turning CO2 into petrol, yet we still seem to be no closer to implementing this tech. Instead, we're rushing in to making batteries, like lithium is never going to run out....

Last edited by b0son; 07-04-2018 at 05:57 PM.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #26
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Here's another enlightening & interesting link in trying to get the full picture -

http://www.resilience.org/stories/20...ak-oil-debate/

cheers, Maka

2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #27
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just goes to show never argue with an academic they are always right.

Except for the fact they hyped this as a major issue where we had to change our ways or the economy would be destroyed.

The argument that things are finite and will run out reminds me of the bet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon%...3Ehrlich_wager

just reading that wiki its amazing they so want Ehrlich to be right but but but completely missing the point that the bet was made with greatest doomsayer of that time and he was wrong.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post