Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-04-2018, 11:12 AM   #31
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Re: Snake Oil Sales Men and Other Charletons

I think the ones that wind up lifting away from the windshield do for sure.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #32
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Order now and get a second Platinum 20sec free...
And the first 150 callers get a free set of steak knives.

Only 3 sets left....be quick!

As soon as I see claims of "up to" I run.
"Up to" starts at zero. -lawyerspeak.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #33
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tv is on now lol.

Pain Erazor.
Got a headache? Give yourself an all natural electric shock that hurts so much you forget you have a headache.

Drug free!

Buy one, get one free. Limited stocks....buy now!

Those electric shocks are great for weight loss too.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #34
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
As soon as I see claims of "up to" I run.
Reminds me of the late 90s when Autobarn went on a massive expansion program - opening stores everywhere, and employing drop kicks....

Waiting in line to buy some oil on sale, the guy in front wanted to check out the pod filter in the cabinet behind the counter. He wanted to put it on a mid 90s Pulsar SSS and asked what sort of power gains he might get. The clown behind the counter suggested "Oh, up to 10kw at the rear wheels."

He could not understand why I was lauging so hard. Cost him the sale too.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #35
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Ok, a controversial one - e10? Thoughts please, octane - pass, mileage - fail lol..

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #36
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I keep extensive fuel records for my cars - have done since the late 90s when my boss at the time required it, and the habit stuck. Only the spreadsheet updated from Lotus123 to Excel....

I had a VE V6 in 2008, and my weekly commute was (still is) around 600-650km in total (depending if I take the back roads to avoid traffic). On regular 91, I could do over 650 to a tank - I would get 10 "trips" to & from work, with the low fuel warning on for the last 20km or so before filling up.
E10 saw that drop to 8 or 9 "trips" - so for me that was a simple 5-10% reduction in efficiency.
The desire for 10 trips meant I could fill up once a week, at the same time/place, which was a local servo where I knew the owner, and trusted the fuel. When it dropped to 8 or 9 trips, it started to mean 2 fills in a week, at odd times, altering a steady routine that worked well. So it was a major annoyance to me!

I also did the same fuel tests with our 6L Calais V at the time (it's a pre-AFM 6L). E10, 91 & 95. At the time 91 & 95 absolutely trounced E10 in true cost economy.
Haven't bothered comparing them much lately, as we generally run 95 in it all the time - as it's been proven by my spreadsheet to give the best km per dollar, unless the gap from 91-95 is massive. Mind you, I had a mate with an AFM 6L, and he reckoned there was no difference in E10 or 91 economy in his car, so different cars/engines behave different too.

In 2011 I got my LPi, so I haven't bothered to follow petrol economy as much since, but LPG can vary quite markedly, which is another topic in itself......
3 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #37
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Got serious blowby, got oil pouring out from every gasket in the bottom end, got pistons hanging out of holes that weren't previously there....
use
"Cost Effective engine treatment" https://costeffective.com.au/
One 44 gallon drum of this will save your engine from a total rebuild.

Treatment and all the stages of it sound dearer than rebuilding the engine. Snake oil ??

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #38
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Peter Brock’s Energy Polariser
The thing is now a brock commodore with polariser intact is worth more money and more desirable so I am told.
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #39
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunga View Post
The thing is now a brock commodore with polariser intact is worth more money and more desirable so I am told.
I have one with, and one without. Not going to get into an argument over whether or not it works - I don't care, it was something Brock believed in, and offered his customers.

What I will say, is think back to when that radio scientist had the chocolate bar melt from microwave radiation, and invented the microwave oven concept. If you told someone in the 1920s you could put a cup of water inside a metal box, let is spin around for a minute, and it would come out boiling, they would have locked you up in the asylum. Yet they are commonplace in almost every house and workplace now.

We may not be able to understand, or harness the "power" of crystals & magnets in a scientifically proven way (try telling that to all the market stall holders) but I liken it to the microwave - just because you can't see it working, doesn't mean it isn't, and perhaps we're not advanced enough to be able to measure the effects of it, no matter how small? People sleep with magnetic underlays, and wear copper wrist bands. Have either of them been scientifically proven? I think we need to keep an open mind about these things.

But when it comes to value, overall condition plays a much bigger factor.

In the case of the VL Group A, it's the rest of the "plus pack" that adds to the premium they attract, but a very clean non-PP Group A is more desireable than a rough PP.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #40
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well you can buy products for time travel why cant the rest be try too
for a mere $351 (coincidence I think not so better buy now !!!)
you can get a flux capacitor guaranteed to fit any vehicle

https://www.amazon.com/Back-Future-C...flux+capacitor

I could buy it receive it then go back and cancel my order and have it for free

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #41
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
well you can buy products for time travel why cant the rest be try too
for a mere $351 (coincidence I think not so better buy now !!!)
you can get a flux capacitor guaranteed to fit any vehicle
Jaycar want $200K for theirs.......
https://www.jaycar.com.au/flux-capacitor/p/OUTATIME
Old 03-04-2018, 08:48 AM   #42
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Ok, a controversial one - e10? Thoughts please, octane - pass, mileage - fail lol..

cheers, Maka
I don't know. Everything is e10 over here. Some e15. At least there is movement to roll the e15 stuff back to e10.

Some are starting to see economic down sides to the whole "e" concept. I don't think there is a single cohesive story on that either.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #43
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Got serious blowby, got oil pouring out from every gasket in the bottom end, got pistons hanging out of holes that weren't previously there....
use
"Cost Effective engine treatment" https://costeffective.com.au/
One 44 gallon drum of this will save your engine from a total rebuild.

Treatment and all the stages of it sound dearer than rebuilding the engine. Snake oil ??
Interesting. Have any independent tests been conducted on this stuff?

We have an outfit similar to that here by the name BG. Feedback is pretty good on that stuff, but you don't need to buy 44gals of anything.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #44
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
...it was something Brock believed in...
This kind of reminds me of a couple of Smokey Yunick's beliefs.

1. The hot vapour engine.
2. Long Rod/stroke ratio engines.

Smokey was a gifted mechanic, self made engineer and racer who could spot every loophole in every rule ever written. Oh, and, in private, couldn't speak a sentence or two without an expletive or two spitting out.

Even the sign over his shop: "Best Damn Garage In Town".

Those are two items he could never convince me to agree on. I spoke with him in person and corresponded too. Though I will agree with long rod simply to get the piston as short and light as possible. However, not in order to artificially have a tall deck for the sake of some mechanical advantage to increase hp.

Also, a he was a great story teller.
4 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2018, 09:13 AM   #45
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
I could buy it receive it then go back and cancel my order and have it for free
Don't forget to buy the next winning lotto number while you are at it.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #46
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The sports almanac is the way to go.

Coupled with today's explosion of online betting sites, it would be far more lucrative than a lotto ticket.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #47
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
This kind of reminds me of a couple of Smokey Yunick...
Little detour. Since we, okay, I was on the topic of Smokey Yunick I recalled a couple old pictures. There are many years or so between the time each was taken at Indy. The first one was taken when Jimmy Hall, of Flying Chaparral fame was moving into Indy racing and Smokey was on scene as a team consultant, mentor and coach. The second picture, Smokey is in the stands as a spectator...still Jimmy's consultant, mentor and coach.

Not able to give credit as I can not recall where I got these pictures, but thought they fit in to the conversation at this point.

Last edited by solarite_guy; 27-11-2018 at 01:27 AM.
5 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #48
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
And the Sea Monkeys in MAD magazine:

I had them as a kid, was never satisfied, but can't recall getting my money back

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #49
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Little detour. Since we, okay, I was on the topic of Smokey Yunick I recalled a couple old pictures. There are many years or so between the time each was taken at Indy. The first one was taken when Jimmy Hall, of Flying Chaparral fame was moving into Indy racing and Smokey was on scene as a team consultant, mentor and coach. The second picture, Smokey is in the stands as a spectator...still Jimmy's consultant, mentor and coach.

Not able to give credit as I can not recall where I got these pictures, but thought they fit in to the conversation at this point.

There is a book called power secrets by Smokey yunick I think the first one is in it
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #50
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Get a turbo exhaust tailpipe end. They increase power by 15%, and reduce emissions by 10%.!
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 06:03 PM   #51
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fuelstar anyone...
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #52
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

It certainly looks to be in the "too good to be true", "hand picked seasoned" "virgin block" category.

http://www.videofoundry.co.nz/ianman...h/fuelstar.php