Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2018, 03:21 AM   #1
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default WA - who can make a custom alloy tray

I am after an aluminium tray for my Ranger. 1650Lx1900W, no headboard, sides or rope rails, full length drawer underneath.

Anyone you can recommend? Prefer smaller business and NOR.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: WA - who can make a custom alloy tray

T/L engineering cnr bushmead and militery roads hazelmere
It's what that do , and one of the ones that make the trays n such for the car n truck dealers when you order new vehicle cab chassis with XXX fitted

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had my FG ute tray built to a custom size and requirements etc by these guys.

They will do anything you want with excellent workmanship.

https://www.acsfabrication.com.au/pr...ories-4wd-van/

ACS Fabrication (WA) Pty Ltd
Unit 4/34 Robinson Rd Bellevue 6056
PO Box 245 Forrestfield WA 6058
Ph: (08) 9250 8386
Fax: (08) 9250 5383
Web: www.acsfabrication.com.au
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 11:37 PM   #4
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers, I haven'y tried TL yet.I went to ACS today, 4-5 week wait at the moment but will quote me this week.

Also went to Rosco's Trademate today, $3.5k for the tray with drawer and colour coded to my Ranger...
Old 01-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also checked with T&L and inspected their FG tray. Nothing wrong with it but being the main provider of trays for dealers, mining and commercial use it was a basic design as they knock trays out one after another.

I wanted too many changes to their basic design and also being fastidious wanted nice welds and ultimately I became unsure that it would be built as requested. If you only want a basic tray then they would be fine but I got the impression you could get what you get.

T&L also used a large over the centre side panel latches, which are perfect for constant use but I wanted the neater small snail cam latches but they wouldn't fit these nor change the type of hinges they used.

The smaller shops maybe a tad more $ but are more personal for a custom build if that's what you really want and you can drop in and see it being built.

For info, I fitted my tray myself as I was also building it as a tipper but also had ACS fab some alloy side boxes to my supplied wooden built designs but also made the rear bumper and guards myself etc.

2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2018, 12:34 AM   #6
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That ACS tray looks pretty mint! Too fancy for me but the detail looks great.

I went to T&L today. I think the guy just wanted to fob me off. Tray + drawer + remove my tub + new tail lights = $4450+GST = $4895. Fark me. And that is to their standard width, length is governed by how many slats are removed from the 1800mm tray, they won't cut them down...
This user likes this post:
Old 02-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gez seems they've gone real basic then as use to always hear they were the ones for custom gear like this and we're across the road and see them knocking out truck stuff so didn't think they'd gone this way

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 02-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #8
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The same experience I had. They now really only deal with the commercial market as its huge and have no need to do otherwise.

ACS and other smaller shops mainly operate on doing truly custom work. ACS do all their own bending and fabrication. Another shop I visited only used completed imported trays so all sizes were locked in and they would not deviate.

If you want a tray that is not a standard length or width etc then you will need to go for a smaller shop and pay. ACS for instance have all their own huge bending machines so they can fabricate panels to suit any sizes etc. My tray is a custom length and width with heavy duty slats and they weld each to the rails and the last slat moulded to meet the length I wanted so that's not an issue. I also supplied a template for the bend I wanted for the front hoop and the mesh welded in a certain position etc. All no problem. It cost $3k.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #9
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I would prefer to go to a smaller mob but my issue is that I know bugger all about trays, I just know what I need. The smaller guys don't have any examples of trays in their shops so even though on paper they can all do it, I am not sure I will like what they make!

The Rosco's tray is $3.5k with LED lights, drawer and painted to match the car.
Unicorn can do what I want for $3k but no paint and the trays/mounts look pretty flimsy.
Flexiglass don't do custom sizes but they were very helpful with other options.
MRT do imported trays with drawers for $2.5k, they had a display model that looked like it was made pretty well but currently no stock, expected possibly maybe in May...
Kaypac can do one for $3.2k not colourcoded and I supply lights. My mate had work done by him which was strong as but not the flashiest looking. I think I will go this way as I know the tray will never break haha!

Each make has it's quirks so will hopefully pick one this weekend and get the ball rolling.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:12 PM   #10
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
The same experience I had. They now really only deal with the commercial market as its huge and have no need to do otherwise.
That's no problem, just nice if they said no thanks we don't do the small stuff. Would have saved myself some time haha!!
This user likes this post:
Old 02-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #11
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's not much you need to know just whether you want heavy duty slats and the outside or inside width and length and leave it to them. As you don't want a headboard (why?), sides or rope rails it's an easy build.

See what ACS quote as I can vouch for their trays.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:08 AM   #12
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No need for a headboard as I am getting 2 lift off canopies (work and play), I won't need to use it as a ute as I have a trailer. Literally just need a solid flat tray with underneath drawer.

I have seen some trays while googling and they look like ****, I think I will find some pics and show them what I like and leave it to them.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #13
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
No need for a headboard as I am getting 2 lift off canopies (work and play), I won't need to use it as a ute as I have a trailer. Literally just need a solid flat tray with underneath drawer.
why get a tray at all then ?
have the canopies aligned for easy removal/installation direct to the chassis would be the way id be looking
back under quick latch n go and dare I say at a guess the work one be on most the time compared to the play one

Old 03-03-2018, 10:12 PM   #14
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been thinking about this build for a while, after chatting to a few guys this seems to be the easiest and most cost effective way to do what I want. Main reasons to get a tray are:

1) Changing the full ute body over will be much harder, the idea is to make it easy to change them over otherwise I just won't be bothered doing it. Literally undo 6 bolts and wind it up and it is off. To change between the 2 canopies will realistically be 30mins.
2) I don't have any means of lifting a full canopy off and it probably won't fit in the shed.
3) Much cheaper!

The work one will be on 95% of the time. I have tried just emptying my current ute as a test (to save buying a second canopy) but that was a major pain in the ****.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:03 PM   #15
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
1)the idea is to make it easy to change them over otherwise I just won't be bothered doing it. Literally undo 6 bolts and wind it up and it is off. To change between the 2 canopies will realistically be 30mins.
front of tray under area like a simple primemover turn table two sliding pins in to brackets buty manually pinned to stop sliding back out by say a slide bolt like a fork sliding under a bolt head then pin'd so it cant be pulled back out
rear one each side over center locks say like a larger unit similar to a tool box lid set up and again slide manual bolt locked to stop from opening ive seen large ones of these hold live stock crates to flat bead trailers
Quote:
2) I don't have any means of lifting a full canopy off and it probably won't fit in the shed.
to change bins on trucks on hobby farms by a single man they use around pipe pole thru the front and rear and attach a snail eccentric wheel so as they back up it lifts the bin and then they lock the snail wheels and drive off leaving it in the air for next time
or maybe more to your set up a windup jocky wheel setup like for fifth wheel caravans that lock in to the under of the tray like an inverted l set up out of square tubing with cleenaway bin wheels at the base two fixed two not so it can be moved when off ute

Old 04-03-2018, 01:13 AM   #16
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting ideas, probably more engineering involved than I can handle!!! Not sure if they are as easy, simple or cheap as the lift off canopy though.

I have the added advantage that if the Ranger needs to be off the road for a while I can either hire a ute with a flat tray and carry on working or put it on my trailer and borrow a mates car.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:15 AM   #17
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After not receiving quotes from a couple of places and a couple that were in la la land with their price (compared to quality), I have gone with a solo operator near me to get a fully welded tray for only a few hundred $$$ more than the imported/riveted/glued trays. Will post pics when its done in approx 3 weeks, don't expect ozrunner style though...
Old 30-03-2018, 12:50 AM   #18
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new alloy tray is on. It is fully welded and has a 1500x965mm drawer underneath. It is mounted on 150x6mm C channel, it seems to be strong as an ox, very happy with the build quality! I managed to get the fuel filler as high as the tray would allow, hopefully filling up will be OK. Will wait until the canopy is on before deciding whether to paint and remove bumper.

3 users like this post: