Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #31
Jesk
certified nutter

yeah it was wet and i was unfamiliar with the area and the glare off the road hid some tramlines and things got a little hairy
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #32
gozza

I had it happen going through a chicane type bend in the wet - No power- just slid out -
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #33
Jayden
Graphic Artist

brand new fancy housing estate roundabout in the wet. I had to do another lap and pretend I did it on purpose like a mad tyte drifter.
Old 21-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #34
crusher
Dirty ute club member

I had the rear kick out unexpectedly.

I had a mate in the car who doesn't drive (refuses to get his licence. hates driving. wierd) and I was taking him somewhere he needed to go. Was turning right at a set of lights, doing about 5kph and all of a sudden the rear was at my left and I was looking out a side window. I knew I was doing 5kph as I didnt know where I was and I was longingly looking at a pub haha. Was strange.
Driving a ute you learn pretty quickly how to go sideways on gravel and road so was very easy to correct but we both just looked at each other not knowing what the hell happened.

If I was an inexperienced driver who freaked out I could have very easily gone up the curb into a pub. Not the best way to enter for a drink....
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #35
paul_r_d

VN commodores = light bum = slides out real easily. My mate has a few times around roundabouts. Happen twice with me in the car and he is not a led foot what so ever. Bloody scary when the car flings in to the next lane which is on coming traffic at 80 kays.

The missus
2003 Rav4 4 door Cruiser
paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #36
RustyCL
Starter Motor

One day the wife and I were at the shops when it started to rain. The wife asked why I didnt like to drive the Charger in the rain. I said " For one it gets dirty, and 2 it's so easy to lose it in the wet. Look I'll show you". (the car has plenty on V8 torque, a LSD and high tech leaf spring rear end.)

Going straight through the roundabout I gave the throttle a small touch expecting the rear to step out for demonstration purposes only. Ended up on the other side of the road, not quite facing the other way. You can imagine what the wife's comments were.

Rustycl
RustyCL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 01:08 AM   #37
Jayden
Graphic Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher
Not the best way to enter for a drink....
Just pull up to the bar in the ute and say. 2 Guinness's thanks. that would be funny as. exept for the bill.
Old 22-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #38
Foobar
Irregular Member

Quote:
Has anyone here ever gone around a corner either dry or wet "JUST NORMAL LIKE" and had this happen?? Be honest!
I did have this happen to me and at first I didn't know why but there was a reason - the corner was at the bottom of a small hill / bank / cliff and a bout of REALLY heavy rain had washed a heap of small rocks and other rubbish onto the road. I can't recall how many times the car spun, 180, 360 or more (it was 15+ years ago) but I ended up facing oncoming traffic of which there was none at the time.

Scared the bejesus out of me, I never took that corner quite the same again...
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 09:34 AM   #39
Burnt Toast
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
Yeah I was going around a roundabout normally when for no reason my rear end slid out.
Lol, were you drving a Commodore at the time???

Burnt Toast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #40
Patrol351
OFFROAD ART

back in tsv saw a 80 series wago take a roundabout thats notorious for being slippery a tad to fast ... [rant/on]dumb soccer mums in 4wds

anyways over the side of the roundabout which is a bit steep and hit the dirt, dug in and flipped onto its side. pretty impressive dismount i thought
best roundabout for getting sideways on alllll the way around (at night not in traffic)

also seen a VT dunnydore do the same .. diff round about ... but into a barb wire fence ... this one was better she was goin waaaaaay to fast
skidded on the dirt doin 360s for about 70mtrs before getting to the fence
Patrol351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #41
Casablanca
carburettor

i've done it in the wet in the ricer, just been lightly raining and i backed off just in case and i hit a pot-hole full of water... can anyone say aquaplane :( good thing i'd just come back from my defensive driving course and had no problems pulling it back into line but jeebus it was scary.

by the way some old guy was hanging out the window cheering me on lol in his grampa 'coon.
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #42
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I once followed a honda accord (i think) down castle hill road - very straight and a little damp when it suddenly lost the back end and did 2 360's right infront of me. I stoped to see what happened (maybe the driver had a heart attack). It was just the little kid (5 yr old) pulled up the handbreak while his mum was driving. scared the out of me but must have really scared the out of the woman driver.
and yes I have lost the back end unexspectantly a few times but to be honest there were always reasons (tyres/oil/rightfoot/etc)
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #43
MarkAW

There's a roundabout at Maryong (Blacktown) with a f&&kin sheet steel gatic cover in the middle of it. First day out on my new FJ1100 bike and I dropped it - scratched one of the air intakes.

If I ever find the d&&khead that planned an access hole in the middle of a roundabout, I'll rip his f'in head off.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #44
boxo
fit 'n' turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCL
One day the wife and I were at the shops when it started to rain. The wife asked why I didnt like to drive the Charger in the rain. I said " For one it gets dirty, and 2 it's so easy to lose it in the wet. Look I'll show you". (the car has plenty on V8 torque, a LSD and high tech leaf spring rear end.)

Going straight through the roundabout I gave the throttle a small touch expecting the rear to step out for demonstration purposes only. Ended up on the other side of the road, not quite facing the other way. You can imagine what the wife's comments were.

Rustycl

I sure can mate you should see the looks i get from mine.Everytime we come up to a corner in the wet i see her grab the door out the corner of my eye.
Old 22-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #45
MarkAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxo
I sure can mate you should see the looks i get from mine.Everytime we come up to a corner in the wet i see her grab the door out the corner of my eye.
Mine just says "You touch that DSC button and you wont get it ever again"

OK you win
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #46
Patrol351
OFFROAD ART

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAW
Mine just says "You touch that DSC button and you wont get it ever again"

OK you win

mine calls me a pussy if i don't : :
Patrol351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #47
xm_coupe

it was ****ING down with rain and i went round a round about normally, not thrashing it or anything and yeh lost traction and span out. road was exreeemely greast though.
xm_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #48
PoMmYwOG

Theres a few places this happens around my area and at work:

Cnr Ingham Drv & Kurrajong rd Casula(near mall), the round about there when coming out of it going towards hume highway, the car always kicks out doesnt matter how much im accelerating, the tar in that spot is shiny like glass...its rediculous.

In prestons theres a bigger roundabout when you go around it in the wet all 4 wheels slide...end up like a shopping trolley...only way to avoid is to come out really wide and cut in...side many times i've ended up sideways around it...

coming out of prestons going left onto camden valley way(near the nursery) i can never get traction in the wet...car just fishtails all the way up the hill, thats backing on and off the accelerator cos i am trying to get tration without 80km/h traffic taking my a$$ out...even in the dry u pull out too quick and u leave a nice cloud behind...

On epping rd Lane cove in the right turning lane to turn onto longeville rd is really bad in the wet...so many times i've sat there spinning on the same spot, car did not move...even the truck infront of me and the lancer did the same...

i really wish the owner before me optioned traction control...i would have , its got bloody everything else optioned...

it would be fun if it wasnt so dangerous on a public rd...

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 03:35 PM   #49
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had an inccident driving normally in the wet where the back end just slid out while turning for no reason...... went up the gutter, no damage as i was driving slow (if i took the roundabout at 35 km....im sure i would have no car left). Turns out the 4 year old tyres had low psi with cracked markings on the outer edges. Its scary when you cant control something.
SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #50
geohatrick

lol in the city turning down a one way street to head towards the bridge just past town hall. Had just changed from new 17's to my shitty old 16's for rego it had been raining for about 5min when i turned this right hand corner downhill sloping road and it jsut completly went at about 20kms i corrected enough to pull it up but was still facing a gutter thank god it was 2 clear lanes with no traffic.

p.s its funny how many of these stories involve an xf.
Old 23-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #51
punktured

Here's a few moments i've had...

Had Wanli tyres and went around a medium round about in 3rd and managed to drift half way round it, my 1st drift and i had nfi what was going on lol, this was on a hot day too. Moral, don't buy tyres, they were horrible in the wet!

A few weeks ago it had just stopped raining and i was doing about 80 in 3rd (not gunning it) and my *** just stepped out without noticed, scared the crap outa me
punktured is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #52
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxo
: Ever heard these words from someone whos just sidswiped/crashed their car?
Me too. And what do think straight away...? Man thats bullshit, and i know cause it was bullshit when i said it after going too fast into a corner and then stomping the gas.
Has anyone here ever gone around a corner either dry or wet
"JUST NORMAL LIKE" and had this happen?? Be honest!
Cheers
Box
No accident, but I have had the rear step out big time when going around a corner at a normal pace. The rear outer tyre had punctured.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #53
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

had a it happen twice in the xc one was comming down a slope to a t junction and the front didnt turn but nothing happened but i ended up on the wrong side of the road in the wet. same corner in the wet i lost the back at 15km/h i think it was the oil as i wasnt driving stupid but only seems to happen in the 3.3 3speed and it dosnt have power.

other then that i cant say i have in any other car from not been stupid eg driving too fast or throtel around corner.
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #54
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The one and only round about in our town is lethal enough in the dry if u give it a bit, Never been game to give it any in the wet as just going slow the back end gets a bit nervous. Only once can i say i lost it around a corner accidently, Had my G/f and my best mate in the car no throttle around this 110 degree corner in the wet brand new stockies on the back, got 1/3 way round and i knew what was happening by the time we got around had some opposite lock happenin... after gettin it back i look in the rear view mirror and see a cop car... was shakin his head and didnt pull me over!!!
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #55
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont599
after gettin it back i look in the rear view mirror and see a cop car... was shakin his head and didnt pull me over!!!
This bit worries me with the new hoon laws, if the back end comes out (oil, gravel, your tyres, etc) and you control it you can be done for being a hoon. If you lose control then you get done for reckless driving (mind you, you gotta get out of the car and act all freaked out) you'll get done and lose 3 points.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #56
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh i was pretty surprised at the time. Suppose he put it down to it was raining fairly heavily before it happened and just being a P plater.... I dunno.. either way im happy he didnt
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 05:45 AM   #57
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I have to concur with some roundabout stories I go through in some Sydney suburbs that are just super slick with a touch of rain on them.

There's one just off Hume Highway between Bass Hill and Yagoona that, no matter how slow I tiptoe around it, my BA will go sideways. All 4 wheels will just lose traction without wheelspin for a good metre.

As for going around a corner, I don't think I've ever had a situation that wasn't due to an oil slick in the wet that I went sideways at low speed in.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #58
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I turned (a hard) right on a bone dry roundabout once in my EF, previous owner fitted new Falken Ziex tyres on the front on the car and even though the front wheels were turned right *chirp* the car went straight forwards for a milisecond, then the tyres bit down and turned. Got rid of the Falkens not long after.

In my first car (an EA, great handler btw) [not] I turned on to a main road (smooth-ish surface) and the whole car just slid/aqauplained across two lanes. I dont know if it had rained lightly and the road was greasy, but it came down to having a floaty old, average tyres and inexperience in 'feeling' the road surface, it happens to all of us.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post