Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 19-01-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
Swaytan
Swaytan

Default Little Legs!

Howdy Partners,

So I'm teaching my new girlfriend to drive, and there is a problem. The seat can get close enough for the steering wheel & controls, but she has to do a massive stretch to get the clutch all the way to the floor.

Does anybody have any suggestions on fixing this problem? Maybe some kind of adjustable pedals...?

Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
Kryton

last time i encountered this problem we cut the clutch pedal and extended it so it was further out.
not really practical though if it isnt her car.
maybe some cushions behind her back?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont some Driving School cars have adjustable pedals for people of all sizes etc?, might be worth checking around and seeing.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Have you adjusted the seat height?
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Have you adjusted the seat height?
Yeah done that, but no matter what I we do it just doesn't happen.

Maybe I should send her to Russia to get her legs lengthened...
Old 20-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

I have the same problem. My AU XR8 is a manual and just wasnt built with a short female (or weak male) driver in mind. I tried what my other half kindly referred to as a 'booster seat' but that meant that my knees were up against the base of the steering wheel column and the angle to the pedals was very awkward which isnt any good seeing as the clutch is fairly stiff and I need to give it a good shove to get it in. Plus I cannot to anything permanent to the pedals because Brett drives my car too and he already sits in the furtherest position back and if the pedals were extended he would find it awkward to drive instead.

I find that if i put the seat all the way forward, sit a little forward in the seat and adjust the back of the seat forward a little I am in a fairly comfortable driving position, it just means when stopped for any length of time at lights etc I chuck it in neutral because I just cannot hold the clutch in for huge lengths of time.

Not completely ideal, but i still love driving my car.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Are the electric power adjustable pedals standard on most recent premium models (Fairmonts and Fairlanes etc) and optional on lesser models available for manuals and your car or was it an auto trans only option? If it can be had it might be the way to go.
Old 20-01-2007, 11:16 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The answer I found is no
Quote:
Power adjustable seats and pedals

It's easy to find your optimal driving position in a Falcon. The power driver's seat allows the driver to adjust cushion height and tilt to find the exact position for maximum comfort.

Power adjustable pedals* further ensure your optimum driving position has never been easier to achieve.

For the ultimate comfort package Fairmont Ghia offers memory assisted 8-way power seats with adjustable pedals.

* Standard on Fairmont Ghia. Optional on all other models. Not available with manual transmission
from http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...p&c=DFYArticle
Old 20-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Those illegal ricer pedal covers that screw or strap onto the pedals will give you a cm extra reach; the ones that attach with screws seem safer.

Last edited by aussiblue; 20-01-2007 at 11:21 PM. Reason: typos
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

see http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....t=ba+au+pedals
Old 20-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #11
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaytan
Howdy Partners,

So I'm teaching my new girlfriend to drive, and there is a problem. The seat can get close enough for the steering wheel & controls, but she has to do a massive stretch to get the clutch all the way to the floor.

Does anybody have any suggestions on fixing this problem? Maybe some kind of adjustable pedals...?
Simple.

Auto or get another new girlfriend :hihi:

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2007, 01:58 AM   #12
falcXF 2 Fiesta
Starter Motor

I'm no Mechanic but aren't you able to adjust the clutch cable, so that the pedal doesn't need to be all the way to the floor?
falcXF 2 Fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2007, 02:53 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Auto or get another new girlfriend
...........or find a girl with longer legs and do a cut and shut.
Old 22-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #14
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcXF 2 Fiesta
I'm no Mechanic but aren't you able to adjust the clutch cable, so that the pedal doesn't need to be all the way to the floor?
It aint no XF dude. No cable in a Fez my friend...

Alas, the clutch is Hydraulic...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #15
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Oh it a Ka or Fiesta; which is it? I didn't notice we were in the toy Fords section; I just monitor all new posts. I'm amazed that even in such a small car someone can't reach the pedals.
Old 22-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #16
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Have you actually been in either of those cars knobhead?? If you think this is the "toy ford" section, you better get back to the "peni$ extension" ford section pronto.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #17
Scott

Geez, settle down melbzetec, help is here from the "peni$ extension" Ford section.

Reflex Automotive Engineering Pty Ltd
Organisation/company name: Reflex Automotive Engineering Pty Ltd
Australian Business Number (ABN): 47 069 939 966
About us: We do vehicle modifications for disabled drivers, including hand controls, left foot accelerators, extensions pedals, steering knobs. Other modifications are possible to suit specific driver requirements, such as blinker arm and hand brake relocations.
Address: 9 Leader Street
Campbell Field
VICTORIA
Postal address: 9 Leader Street
Campbell Field
VICTORIA
Telephone: (03) 9305 4840
Fax: (03) 9308 0552
Email: reflexeng@aol.com

Pedal extenders

Sitting too close to a driver side airbag can not only be uncomfortable, but dangerous. While airbag disconnect devices are available, they compromise personal safety and still leave the driver uncomfortably close to the steering wheel.

Pedal extenders allow people to reach the pedals in their car without having to sit too close to the steering wheel.

Pedal extensions provide a safe, simple and inexpensive alternative for those who are of short stature, pregnant, over weight, or people with back, hip or knee problems.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 11:13 PM   #18
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Default Sorry

Hey what flames Melbzetec and it's not even your post. Nonetheless, I thought perhaps I should have added a smiley like I intended so all knew it was a friendly tease but given prior joking comment in the thread I thought might be somewhat unnecessary. Besides aren't all our cars toys or haven't you heard the "boys and their toys" expression yet.

If it makes you feel better, although I now have amongst other things two Fairlanes (with room in the boot to fit a Ka - albeit a dismantled Ka) , I have owned and loved many small cars including something as basic as a Mini-Moke and I still have a 1980 Lancer in my fleet of cars.

In any event:

a) I felt I needed to explain my previous Falcon related suggestion hence the "toy car section";

b) I would have tried to offer help whatever anyone drove; I 'm not even totally Ford biased as I also own a 63 EH Holden Panel Van (and frequent the Oldholden.com forum) and used to be a Valiant man;

c) Some of my suggestions (i.e the after market screw on pedal covers) might still work.

d) You obviously feel extremely strongly about your car and I apologise for upsetting you. I will try and be more sensitive in future. Again my apologies.

Last edited by aussiblue; 22-01-2007 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Noted flamers wasn't thread starter as I had assumed
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 07:35 AM   #19
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

My apologies Aussiblue, I obviously misread your intent and overreacted.

But we do get a lot of guys with larger cars who drop into the Fiesta and Focus areas as a once off, throw some shite about "little" cars as if they are some sort of joke, then disappear again. It just gets really tiresome after a while.

Yeh a bit passionate about my car, as are all the guys and girls here. Great handling and fun to drive. Previous car was a manual T3 TE50!!! so I get around to!

My apologies
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #20
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i know the Perfect Solution sway... tell her she cant drive your car......Mind you it be pretty hard with the way she looks and all..... teehee lol....

Nah but seriously......its a sign mate lol. that she aint meant to drive your car.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #21
joshf2
striped

high heels?
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #22
BlackLS

Bringing the seat all the way forward, and recline the back. (if it has lumbar support, set it to the hardest.)

Adjust the bum cushion height to suit.

Make sure the steering wheel adjustment is pushed all the way into the dash
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #23
irsa76
Snoopping

How short is she? Pedal extensions sound like the business.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #24
Sonia

Tell her to wear wedges
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 07:03 PM   #25
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stationwagon
How short is she? Pedal extensions sound like the business.
She'd be 5'4 at most. Will look into extentions for sure...
Old 23-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #26
Sonia

lol, I'm 5'5 and I can reach fine.
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #27
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Your pedal return spring isn't broken is it per http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=83261