Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 24-07-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Default XR4 still on Mr Fords Lips -

Taken from goauto.com.au

Ford confirms the Fiesta ST is back under evaluation, and could be sold as the XR4

By NEIL McDONALD 18 July 2006

THE prospects of a hot Fiesta are gaining ground at Ford, on the back of the overnight success of the Focus XR5.

Ford Australia chief, Tom Gorman, believes there now may be room in the line-up for the 2.0-litre Fiesta ST, if the business case stacks up.

"I would have said this time last year, no; because our volume (Fiesta) was so much smaller," he said.

"When you’re doing 300 to 400 a month it’s hard to get excited about something like that.

"But now when you’re talking about 600 to 700 a month it does rear its head as a possibility and particularly when you look at the success of the XR5."

Mr Gorman said the economics previously were against adding a hot Fiesta.

"When we had a look at it before the economics were hard but when you come back and look at what you might take on a volume basis it changes," he said.

"We are revisiting that."

Ford of Europe builds the Fiesta ST (Sports Technologies), which develops 110kW/190Nm from a 2.0-litre Duratec four-cylinder engine.

This endows the hot hatch to reach 100km/h in eight seconds, on its way to a top speed of more than 220km/h.

As part of the car’s sporty intent it also gains a lowered sports suspension, 17-inch wheels and various exterior adornments.

Mr Gorman said a hot Fiesta would not be a strong seller in the rural market as it would be primarily driven by the metro markets with strong dealer support.

He acknowledged that Ford had looked at the VW’s success with the Golf GTi and subsequently the Polo GTi.

If a hot Fiesta joined the Ford line up it could wear the "XR" moniker, providing a strong sports statement right through the Ford passenger car range.

Since its launch in April, demand for the Focus XR5 has outstripped supply, highlighting the increasing buyer interest in high-performance four-cylinders wearing local badges.

Ford has sold all its allocation and is currently seeking more models out of Germany, where the car is built.

Apart from the XR5, Mr Gorman is keen to expand the Focus brand, possibly adding the Focus Cabrio and TDCi turbo-diesel model.

However, Mr Gorman believes such vehicles must make economic sense before they could be considered for the local market.

"We definitely want to extend the brand," he said.

"The first step of brand extension for us is always to go the performance route and XR5 is a good example, Territory turbo is also great example of that.

"We’re evaluating a lot of other opportunities with Focus. In each case they are not enormous volumes players but as halos they do generate a lot of interest for us."

Mr Gorman said Ford had sold out of its planned volume of 40 a month for the XR5 and dealers are reporting an expanding order bank.

Ford is currently negotiating with the factory in Germany to get more cars.

"If we could get more we could sell more, but it is short everywhere in the world," he said.

"The car has been a success in every market it is in."

Old 24-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
Danny
GT4.

Shotgun Red with white stripes!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 10:09 PM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I'm getting a white one with blue stripes....

Maybe it will be at the Sydney Motor Show? However, this time we can sit in it and play with it?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04

Maybe it will be at the Sydney Motor Show? However, this time we can sit in it and play with it?
AHHHH i was gonna say that colour combo before ur post but i closed the window before i submited. Its cool we both have good taste. i think
Old 24-07-2006, 10:25 PM   #5
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ill get a red one again. But have black stripes coz im emo

NST150 in euro style is mine. I will serious kill ppl is someone takes it
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 10:30 PM   #6
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I'll take Panther Black thank you!
Old 24-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #7
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

I bags N MR XR4 or MR XR 04 and he second white with blue stripes
Old 24-07-2006, 10:37 PM   #8
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice, so when the XR4 is here, are yous gonna dump your current fez?

I feel that the XR badge should be reserved for Falcons and ST should be used for Foci and Fiestas.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #9
photn
AFF Post NAZI

same here panther black with stripes, or maybee not, not sure, depends on how i feel, and if i find out that sum1 took my plates i will personally enter the RTA plates database and physically remove that person and add the plates to my CAR, and i can do that!!!!!!!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 10:43 PM   #10
FlaminFiesta

im still after the xr5 lol hmm so hard to decide hehe
FlaminFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #11
photn
AFF Post NAZI

well now, i just called ford in camden and they where useless, the stupid lady kept correcting me saying your confused its the FORD FOCUS XR5T and im like NOOOOOO its the XR4 st from the UK. any way called the PETER WAREN PPL and they where, better, asked them they had no idea about it either, but he got my number and email. and i gave hime the FF site address and told him to visit, also at least 15 ppl want to buy in just the NSW area. he was shocked and said that he would call ford themselves and inquire about it. when he gives me a call back, ill ask for his email and send him the petition link and also the this link. PETER WARREN BETTER THAN CAMDEN

wanna have your say that you want it, send your emails to ford.retail@peterwarren.com.au

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 11:27 AM   #12
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh, I was planning to go to some car yards today. As a few of you guys know im looking at replacement cars.
Old 25-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #13
Danny
GT4.

I reckon I'd Definitely Go the ST Fez as well if it lobbed here.
Old 25-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #14
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Just emailed a letter to Ford HQ. Every little bit helps.
Old 26-07-2006, 01:29 PM   #15
Battlepope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04

Agreed. White with blue stripes. Broom Broom.
Oh man, i feel like a kid in a candy store.
Battlepope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #16
Battlepope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
Ill get a red one again. But have black stripes coz im emo

NST150 in euro style is mine. I will serious kill ppl is someone takes it
Dude, that's what my wife wants to do to my fez now. And she's put this massive emily sticker on the rear passenger window, so now i've got a blind spot that stretches from the passenger side window all the way around to the rear window.
Battlepope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Whats the blind spot - the wife?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #18
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

ba-boom tish!
Old 26-07-2006, 08:30 PM   #19
crispymk2

I'll take an ink blue one with white stripes, an RS body kit, 18's and ST badges please mister Ford man...
They better bring it out... I already have approval from the missus to trade up to one...
Old 31-07-2006, 08:38 PM   #20
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

The success of the Fiesta has taken Ford by surprise.

28 July 2006

A sales jump for Fiesta has Ford revisiting the hot ST, writes JAMES STANFORD

A RED-HOT version of the Fiesta hatch is being reconsidered by Ford Australia. The Fiesta ST, which would take on the Volkswagen Polo GTi, was originally dismissed by Ford Australia because it believed there was not enough demand for it.

But now that sales of the Fiesta range have picked up, Ford is having second thoughts about the potent micro-hatch.

"We are looking at it again," Ford Australia president Tom Gorman says.

"When we looked at it before, the economics were hard. But we are revisiting that."

Gorman says the success of the turbo Focus XR5 and improved sales of the whole Fiesta range have triggered the rethink.

"This time last year I would have said no, because our volume (of standard Fiesta) was so much smaller," Gorman says.

"When you're doing 300 to 400 a month it's hard to get excited about something like that. But when you're talking about 600 to 700 a month it is a possibility, particularly when you look at the success of the XR5."

Gorman says the Fiesta ST business case didn't stack up when Ford Australia examined it last time.

"When we looked at it before the economics were hard, but when you come back and look at what you might take on a volume basis it changes," he says.

The Fiesta ST uses a meaty 2.0-litre engine that pumps out 110kW and 190Nm of torque.

The specially tuned engine is not turbocharged, but is still quite strong. Ninety per cent of peak torque is available from as low as 1350 revs.

Given its relatively low weight tally of 1137kg, there is enough grunt to push the ST from 0-100km/h in a respectable -- but not scintillating -- 7.9 seconds.

The ST sits on big 17-inch alloy wheels and is fitted with a body kit including beefier bumpers, side skirts and a rear-mounted spoiler.

The ST can be ordered with optional racing stripes, which, apart from a Blue Oval badge, is the only thing this baby car has in common with the GT that Ford photographed it with (above).

Ford Australia is also looking hard at bringing a convertible version of the Focus here, following the success of the XR5.

"We are definitely looking at it," Gorman says. "It's not an enormous player for us so we have to make sure the economics make sense."

Last edited by MISTA FIESTA; 31-07-2006 at 08:50 PM.
MISTA FIESTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 11:28 PM   #21
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I think I'll keep my Zetec, but at least ST parts would be available locally instead of having to import them.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:27 AM   #22
Danny
GT4.

Its on.

I think I'm gonna get one. It makes more sense for what I need at the moment than an XR5 or a GTi
Old 01-08-2006, 04:59 AM   #23
Al...

I like the ST, but i would also like to see the turbo diesel come out.
Al... is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 06:59 AM   #24
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think once ST is here, Ford Aus should put something like duratec 1.8l engine on Zetecs.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #25
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
I think once ST is here, Ford Aus should put something like duratec 1.8l engine on Zetecs.
Dont think thats gonna be possibe becasue it's not available anywere else in the world, so they wouldn't do it for just OZ.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #26
Nappa
Impressive...

i found this site while looking for info on The Fiesta ST Cup,

http://www.fordstownerssa.co.za/phpBB2/index.php

Its got some good stuff.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #27
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
Not gonna happen. Apart from the 2L we have the largest engine already in our fez. Plus we technically don't have duratec engines but the yamaha designed Sigma Zetec-SE.