Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 07-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Thowden
Starter Motor

Default Fiesta Econetic Wheels

Hi All

We've got an Econetic Fiesta and suffered our first flat a couple of months ago and realised that there was not a spare wheel but a can of 'Inflato-matic' crap that did not seem like a reasonable option.

So I am looking for suitable rims/tyres. I know the stud pattern is a 4 x 108 and that the 14" standard rims and tyres will probably contribute something to the awesomely low fuel consumption that we enjoy.

But, the likelihood of another flat and no options for changing a wheel annoys me. (lack of research when we bought it)

I've chased a wreck for a spare for months with no success so I am now thinking to fit a set of mags and carry one of the standard wheels as a spare.

Has anyone else got any experience or observations that might help?

Is the fuel consumption likely to be dramatically affected ?

Thanks

Our Ford Family:
Ford Station Wagon June 2000
Ford Station Wagon June 2004
Ford Laser Hatch May 2000
Ford Laser Sedan May 2001
Ford Courier Tray Sep 2003
Ford Fiesta Econetic Jan 2010 - 2012 (rip)
....and a yellow Mini 1976
(Pick the odd one out!)
Thowden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Fiesta Econetic Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thowden
Hi All

We've got an Econetic Fiesta and suffered our first flat a couple of months ago and realised that there was not a spare wheel but a can of 'Inflato-matic' crap that did not seem like a reasonable option.

So I am looking for suitable rims/tyres. I know the stud pattern is a 4 x 108 and that the 14" standard rims and tyres will probably contribute something to the awesomely low fuel consumption that we enjoy.

But, the likelihood of another flat and no options for changing a wheel annoys me. (lack of research when we bought it)

I've chased a wreck for a spare for months with no success so I am now thinking to fit a set of mags and carry one of the standard wheels as a spare.

Thanks
I think you should just find a space saver from any other similar sized car that fits and use that. (Mazda 2???)

If I read correctly, you want to buy a new set of wheels and keep an original as a spare, if this is the case it still won't match anyway unless you buy 5 new wheels.

Consumption will hardly change if you change your wheels unless you go smaller with taller rubber. If you go larger diameter (but same width) with smaller sidewall you will prob maintain your consumption or even improve it slightly.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Go and buy one from a Ford dealer, why buy 4 new ones when you can just buy one standard wheel. Should be pretty cheap.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i suspect the economy would`nt be hugely affected getting a spare and jack, but i`d be a bit dubious changing wheels and tyre brand , as the tyres where selected for low rolling resistance, after market alloys maybe heavier than factory.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thowden
Hi All

Thanks
Just buy a spare, you'll probably find a wheel off the previous series Fiesta fits fine.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I think you should just find a space saver from any other similar sized car that fits and use that. (Mazda 2???)
This is what i would do
Old 09-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
mash85

we recently bought a new Zetec Fiesta. Knowing they've now gotten rid of the spare on all Fiesta models we asked how much for a spare and were quoted $600, plus more for the jack, wheel brace, etc.

needless to say, we gave it a miss and are keeping a look out on ebay.
mash85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post this in the Fiesta section as I think sme of the guys there will have had the same idea. By the way did you use the goo and what happened?
Old 10-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

I wouldnt buy one from Ford, being an imported model they will charge you a heap. Ebay is the go.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
StrokedXT
Banned

Fiesta wheels are junk and buckle at the slightest hint of a pothole. I'd go aftermarket.

Hopefully none of the mods like fiesta wheels or this thread will be closed and penalties will be applied.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedXT
Fiesta wheels are junk and buckle at the slightest hint of a pothole. I'd go aftermarket.

Hopefully none of the mods like fiesta wheels or this thread will be closed and penalties will be applied.
To the OP. Not familiar with the Fiesta wheels. But chances are Ebay or forum sponsors The Wheel Deal, could be good options for alloys.

PS Did you, really need to add the bolded part? Along with your signature... ie calling the Mods 'tossers'. You make it hard for yourself. No wonder you have trouble.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
PunkXR6
[YEEAAH]

There is a Ford Feista being wrecked at Deer Park Wreckers off Ballarat Rd/Western Highway in Victoria around there>

Not sure if its econetic model though
Old 11-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
rabbit4ever
Starter Motor

Temporary Mobility Kits suck, worst idea ever.
rabbit4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit4ever
Temporary Mobility Kits suck, worst idea ever.
i'm sure more and more people will just call their Motoring association (RAC) nowadays even for something as simple as a flat tire. gone are the days when 'average' guys would change their own spark plugs.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #15
BrisVegas
Noobie

Keep an eye on ebay for a Fiesta alloy wheel. I bought one for my Zetec when my wife buckled a rim on a pothole. It came with a near new tyre for for $250. It was about $50 to courier it from Melbourne to Brisbane with Greyhound bus freight. Ford wanted $1k for a new Zetec alloy.

Alternatively, check the wreckers for any WS Fiestas. They should all have the 80km/h space saver spare.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #16
Thowden
Starter Motor

Thanks for all the feedback.

The Fiesta Econetic is using 14" steels with low resistance tyres. Given that we are currently getting over 750k per tank of diesel even if I drop 50k per tank it is not going to worry me too much.

I chased eBay, wreckers, and Ford for an exact match spare over the past 4 months or so without success. Ford new was way too expensive.

The earlier model Fiesta's were apparently 15" not 14" but whatever they were no-one seems to have just one. There was a wrecker but he wanted to sell me 3 not just one.

So this week I have bought a used set of 15" Focus alloys and tyres that I'll fit up on Saturday and see how that works. With the tyres this will be a higher profile so I'll need to check if there is any issue with the centre offset or potential rubbing. If thats all ok then I'll need to check if the speedo needs to be changed to clock correctly.

Will probably sell the 14" rims with the tyres (17,000k of light traffic wear) as spares for other Fiesta Econetic drivers. Offers?

Our Ford Family:
(Pick the odd one out!)
Old 11-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
Thowden
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Post this in the Fiesta section as I think sme of the guys there will have had the same idea. By the way did you use the goo and what happened?
No we did not use the goo. The car was at home in the garage when I spotted the flat and I just jacked it and ran it down for a repair.

In the past (a very long time ago) when the canned goo was first around I recall that it had a detrimental effect on the tyre life. Cannot recall what it did but it was something like damaging the internal structure of the tyres resulting in a much shorter life and once done could not be used again on the same tyre.

Our Ford Family:
(Pick the odd one out!)
Old 11-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #18
pistolpete

Try an old Cortina rim, they are 4 x 108. They are 13's but you should be able to find one cheap anywhere. If you are in Sydney I have one if you want to see if it fits. ALternatively the space saver spare fron a Saab 900 is 4 x 108 also, I think they are 15's. They are about $50 from a wreckers.
Peter
pistolpete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #19
GT-E

It is only the rolling diameter that matters, not the size of the rim. This is what you need to check. Tell us the tyre size of both wheels and we can tell you if you need to worry about the speedo being out.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #20
pistolpete

True, but the wheel needs to clear brakes and suspension parts. So a 13 inch wheel may not clear, also a 15 inch wheel may not fit depending on the design. Unless its a Fiesta wheel, its trial and error. Being a spare, rolling diameter shouldn't be that much of an issue, they are only meant to be on for a short amount of time.
pistolpete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #21
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

You'll definitely see an increase in the fuel economy ...

The Econetic tyres are special "low rolling resistance" ones and the hubcaps are also designed to maximise aerodynamics.

In addition, the undercarriage of the Econetic has some different coverings and fittings (I believe) so you want to be careful re: any interference.

I am not sure whether your Focus wheels will fit. The Fiesta wheels are 4x108 (although the Thai-built Fiesta's have slightly diff measurements, but there's a whole thread on that in the Fiesta section). However you'll have to check the offset and they may have to be re-drilled.

I would also check with Ford re: warranty. Fitting non-standard wheels of a different size/spec to the Fiesta rims shouldn't void your warranty, but may cause trouble with the Ford people ...

Basically IMO you would be better looking at finding a space-saver spare from a WS series Fiesta (they all have them in the boot, find a wreck) and using that ...

Or trying a 13" Cortina wheel also ...
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #22
simonmichael90
LZ Titanium Focus

I got a 2nd hand set of WS fiesta steel rims and tyres (new) when I first brought my econetic as I didn't want to drive around with only a puncture kit. I asked the dealer originally how much and yes they quoted high hundreds by the time I get the jack,wheel brace,wheel,tyre,foam moulding etc.
So I just brought a set cheap(no one was just selling one) and removed the puncture kit foam moulding which reveals a spare wheel sized hole in which I replaced one of the 15" wheels, jack, and tyre iron I picked at at a garage sale. I dont care that it is 15" as it will only be on the car for minimum km's if required. Little rag to stop any rattles and have never hear a thing, but can now drive with confidence that I can fix a flat the old fashioned way.
I have always had it in the car so I cannot compare my fuel economy but I get over 850km to a tank. Average of 4.55 litres/100km for the 15000km.
I have never taken it on a long trip so that is all city/suburban driving(I do use cruise control all the time).
Not a great fan of the low rolling resistance tyres as they skid even with ABS working.
I had to change a tail light the other day and it was a different experience, never had to pull out whole assembly before just to change a bulb. The plastic holding the globe assembly is pretty dodgey and seemingly fragile.
I do keep rubbing the front spoiler on things as the car is lower than other fiesta's and they wouldn't have allowed for that when parking against standard curbs.

Overall happy with the car, as it was brought as a single person run about 90% of the time and did want to spend heaps on fuel. I fill it up once a month and the 40 ltr tank cannot cost that much even at diesel prices. The fiesta geometry and balance is well setup so it is a plesure to drive and you can throw it around without feeling it is going to let go.
simonmichael90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #23
Thowden
Starter Motor

Hi All

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up buying a reasonably priced set of four Fiesta 15" mags with unused tyres (still had the moulding nipples in the rubber) complete with nuts. I am now hunting another to make a set.

I did a lot of measuring during the fitting to ensure that they would not foul on anything like the struts or guards etc.

The stud pattern is correct as 4 x 108. Once fitted the clearance of the inside tyre surface to the strut on the front is reduced from 45mm to 25mm which does not appear to affect it either on or off the jack. The rear clearance was basically the same but the rear had a bigger clearance to start at 65mm between the shocker and the tyre.

I've had it out doing some relatively hard cornering with no scrapes or rubbing that I can detect. I can imagine that on a hard-lock turn at speed with a bump it will do some damage but then that is probably true of any vehicle.

For the economy concious the extra weight per corner is 4kg. 12.3kg for the 14" steel vs 16.3kg for the mag wheel & tyre. So overall the weight increase would be 16kg's on the road plus the spare and a few more for the jack etc. Probably an extra 40kg in total.

They have been fitted for about 3 or 4 weeks and the local running that the car is used for has not changed, i.e. the same usage pattern has given us no change in consumption.

I have one of the originals as the spare at the moment but will swap that out when I get mag #5.

I'll wait another couple of weeks to verify consumption etc and will probably be selling the Econetic originals if anyone wants a spare!

Our Ford Family:
(Pick the odd one out!)
Old 31-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #24
FordFalconBF
2008 BF Futura

My wife has 16" Ford Focus Rims (4 stud) on her Fiesta.

Previous Cars:
2003 BA Falcon Wagon Dedicated LPG
1999 Ford Fairlane Ghia
XF Fairmont Ghia
Escort MK2 RS2000 Replica
FordFalconBF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #25
80rs

I have 3 econetic wheels with the original michelin tyres sitting in the garage if anyone is interested in buying one r 3 for spares. They have covered about 8000kms
80rs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #26
chmz
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80rs
I have 3 econetic wheels with the original michelin tyres sitting in the garage if anyone is interested in buying one r 3 for spares. They have covered about 8000kms
Hi, Do you still have the econetic wheels for sale? I need two after I let my son drive my wifes car in the rain.
chmz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #27
baileyana
Starter Motor

Default Will 2011 zetec wheels fit 2010 eco

Will the alloys off a 2011 zetec (16") fit a 2010 Econetic ?
just want to know if stud pattern and offset are OK.
baileyana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #28
80rs

no the stud pattern is different econetic is 4x108 and 2011 wt is 4x100
80rs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: