Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 05-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Oscuro

Default Tyre Advice Please?

Budget conscious non rev head needs advice on replacement tyres for five year old 195/50 R15 Turanza ER30's with 69,000 km on them and about 3mm of tread left for 2004 Fiesta LX.

Just use car for urban driving and occasional non urban weekends so getting new set of Turanza ER 30's at $150 or ER 300's at $159 each seems a bit of overkill.

Tyres recommended to me sofar include

Sumo Firenza $89 from Jax

Kumho KU31 $95 from Bob Jane

Bridgestone Supercat $119 from Bridgestone Select

Firestone TZ100 $135 from Bridgestone Select

Thanks

Oscuro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I'd probably go the Bridgestone Supercats. Though if you're not giving it a hiding, the cheaper ones would suffice.
You're lucky You've got a few more choices than me.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
CHARGED TERRA
TARMAC EATER & HSV BEATER

The Firenza's are a pretty good tyre for the money you pay, and as Kiwijohn has said if your not going to be giving it a hiding then they will do the Job just fine.
CHARGED TERRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

The cheaper the better in your situation. $89 ea
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
The cheaper the better in your situation. $89 ea
How so? Tyres are the only contact to the road in a car. Sure he/she probably won't be testing the handling limit of the car but you still have significantly increased braking distances with inferior tyres.

Do with the best tyres you can afford. In this case it would be the Bridgestone.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
How so? Tyres are the only contact to the road in a car. Sure he/she probably won't be testing the handling limit of the car but you still have significantly increased braking distances with inferior tyres.

Do with the best tyres you can afford. In this case it would be the Bridgestone.

Did you read the first sentence of this thread??? I think that explains my answer.
Otherwise I would have suggested retreads.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
amcqu2
Starter Motor

its the same with everything you should get the best of what you can for the money you have. theres no point buying a c&*p tyre especially when they affect the handling and braking distance if u can get a better tyre for $30 more. especcially in the urban areas with kids and animals all over the joint. go the bridgestones. maybe even the firestones, made by the same people anyways.
amcqu2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
CHARGED TERRA
TARMAC EATER & HSV BEATER

Sumo's are made by dunlop
CHARGED TERRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyo Teo Plus

Good quality Japanese made high silica content tyre

http://www.toyo.com.au/TEO%20plus.htm
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #10
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Did you read the first sentence of this thread??? I think that explains my answer.
Otherwise I would have suggested retreads.
So because the car is driven in urban areas by a non rev-head you don't need to worry about having significantly increased braking distances?

Its UNSAFE for you and other road users.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #11
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
So because the car is driven in urban areas by a non rev-head you don't need to worry about having significantly increased braking distances?

Its UNSAFE for you and other road users.

The word BUDGET ring a bell. Unsafe isn't all about tyres as such. It's the nut behind the wheel. Which reminds me, better change my lovely retreads. Wouldn't want to crash into the back of you due to my unsafe tyres. :togo:
Old 06-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
xr4racer

The Turanza are a good, high mileage tyre. You may well find that the cheaper tyres not only give less grip but also less miles and therefore end up costing the same or more per km. Having said that, I have always got good value from Kumho. Just make sure you keep the pressures up (that applies to any road tyre) and you will get better braking, handling, economy and mileage.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
Oscuro

Thanks for the input Im as confused as ever. Normally would steer clear of brands Ive never heard of but recent Wheels test had Accelera tyre competitive with better known brands which proves I dont know what. Will probably play it safe and go with Firestones TZ100. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscuro
Thanks for the input Im as confused as ever. Normally would steer clear of brands Ive never heard of but recent Wheels test had Accelera tyre competitive with better known brands which proves I dont know what. Will probably play it safe and go with Firestones TZ100. Thanks.
Unfortunately when you put a posting up on forums, you do end up more confused that what you began, especially where tyres are concerned.

BTW The ACCELERA is made by Dunlop too.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #15
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Unfortunately when you put a posting up on forums, you do end up more confused that what you began, especially where tyres are concerned.

BTW The ACCELERA is made by Dunlop too.
I don't think so, the Accelera is made by Elangperdana Tyre (EP Tyres) made in Indonesia.

I do agree with the other comment though, see my sig.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??

Last edited by Scareybear; 06-04-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #16
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyJiggs
Sumo's are made by dunlop
And Falkens are made by Sumitomo (and so are Firenzas too)

Old 06-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #17
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scareybear
And Falkens are made by Sumitomo (and so are Firenzas too)

SUMITOMOS are made by the Dunlop company, along with the (Goodyear) Accelera. The country of origin determines the name. :

Oh yes, I do agree with your signature there mate.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:33 AM   #18
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't even know if they make them in this size but Highway MAX remoulds, the most favoured tyre in Victoria amoung the street racers despite being almost as soft as a true race slick and not lasting all that long is a very good tyre for people on a budget. Simply because they don't cost much. But the fact that they stick and stop better than any of your typical 150-200$ sport tyres makes them worth considering (they are made in Melbourne too). I would highly reccomend you ask about them at least, I wont run anything else on my car just because they are the only tyre I feel safe on in my budget . All this is void if you don't live in Victoria tho because you wont be able to get them
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #19
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
SUMITOMOS are made by the Dunlop company, along with the (Goodyear) Accelera. The country of origin determines the name. :

Oh yes, I do agree with your signature there mate.
I'm not sure we're talking about the same Accelera's then.

This http://www.eptyres.com/newep2/accelera.php is the one I'm commenting on, these are the ones that featured in the last wheels(?) tyre test.

Old 24-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #20
Oscuro

I ended up getting KUMHO ECSTA SPT (KU31) at $95 each.
Old 25-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #21
Oscuro

Just an afterthought, should I replace the space saver tyre with a full sized one? dont even know if full size will fit. Kumho Ku 31 are supposed to be run flat anyway.

Last edited by Oscuro; 25-04-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 25-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #22
chinw3e
no sacrifice, no victory

i think i remember someone saying that anything up to 17" can fit into the spare wheel well. it'd be a much safer option than the bicycle wheel we get given..

Eibach Lowering Springs, Wiecher Sports Strut Brace, K&N panel filter, fog lights, crystal black side indicators, car mats, tinted windows
chinw3e is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #23
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinw3e
i think i remember someone saying that anything up to 17" can fit into the spare wheel well. it'd be a much safer option than the bicycle wheel we get given..
I used to have a 17" Alloy with a 205/40R17 tyre on it as my spare when I had the WQ Zetec ... fitted into the wheel well no problems.

Obviously it sat up higher than the space saver wheel but the overall diameter fitment wise was fine.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2009, 01:39 AM   #24
alky89

oscuro, i realise you have already got new tyres (and the ku31's are good ones) but this is some advise for others who wish to buy new ones soon:

the difference between a good tyre and a crap one (or a good one and a great one for that matter) would end up being say, $150 per set. sounds like a lot. however, the difference (in an emergency) could also mean your life. more importantly, it could also mean a new pb lap time hehe. for Oscuro, the tyres lasted 69000km, so based on 15000km/year, thats around 4 1/2 years. whats $150 in 4.5 years? almost nothing. so my advise is to buy the best you can.
alky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #25
Oscuro

Heres where Im confused the Turanza ER30 I read has a treadwear rating of 140 compared to the Kumho Ku31 with a rating of 320 so theoretically the Kumho lasts longer than the Turanza yet the Turanza is supposed to be a longer wearing touring tyre as opposed to the Kumho which is supposed to be a softer rubber performance tyre. Either treadwear ratings dont mean anything or Im totally confused.
Old 16-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #26
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscuro
Heres where Im confused the Turanza ER30 I read has a treadwear rating of 140 compared to the Kumho Ku31 with a rating of 320 so theoretically the Kumho lasts longer than the Turanza yet the Turanza is supposed to be a longer wearing touring tyre as opposed to the Kumho which is supposed to be a softer rubber performance tyre. Either treadwear ratings dont mean anything or Im totally confused.

Buying and fitting tyres is confusing at the best of times, as everyones opinions vary that much you get lost. Stick with your original statement. Your looking for cheap tyres, as your budget conscious
Old 16-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #27
alky89

treadwear ratings are NOT a set standard, varying between companies. therefore a 140 treadwear bridgestone is not equivalent to a 140 kumho. the ratings are only good for comparing tyres of the same brand.
alky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post