Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 08-09-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default KNOCKING!!!!!!! I need your help

Ok, well i took my car in today for its first service. Im getting a light switch and spare tyre screw under warranty.... but one issue about the knocking went unsolved. Apparently the suspension "isnt covered by warranty" (ON A 15000km CAR?! I almost killed the guy) Anyhow, they test drove my car, saw it was a loud knocking, and checked and tightened the suspension. Well.... The knock was still there, so they test drove another Fiesta the new department has a demo, and it too knocked.

SOLUTION: "they all do it so its just part of the car"

Now, i think i might take this up with Ford, because its a VERY irratating (sp?) sound! I went through the New car department (to see the new Focus in that matt blue.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm) and in their carpark they have 4 speed humps.... i heard the knock about 6 times in the span of 20m!

So, i ask all the Fiesta owners out there.... if you can tell me that when you go over a speed hump, is there a knocking sound?!

Oh, another issue: Wipers make a loud whistle in about 140kmh force (i.e car is doing 100kmh and the wind is hitting the car at 40kmh)... has anyone else experienced this? They said they took my car on the highway and did not hear it.... but mind you they were probably doing 80kmh.....

:

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #2
joshf2
striped

nope, and nope

but my car has less than 1000k's on it
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 08:17 PM   #3
Danny
GT4.

No and No. and 20,000 kays here.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Ok, well i took my car in today for its first service. Im getting a light switch and spare tyre screw under warranty.... but one issue about the knocking went unsolved. Apparently the suspension "isnt covered by warranty" (ON A 15000km CAR?! I almost killed the guy) Anyhow, they test drove my car, saw it was a loud knocking, and checked and tightened the suspension. Well.... The knock was still there, so they test drove another Fiesta the new department has a demo, and it too knocked.

Now, i think i might take this up with Ford, because its a VERY irratating (sp?) sound! I went through the New car department (to see the new Focus in that matt blue.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm) and in their carpark they have 4 speed humps.... i heard the knock about 6 times in the span of 20m!

So, i ask all the Fiesta owners out there.... if you can tell me that when you go over a speed hump, is there a knocking sound?!
Not a Fiesta, but my Focus does make some annoying clunks every now and then. It doesnt worry me from a safety point of view, its more just annoying.

Quote:
Oh, another issue: Wipers make a loud whistle in about 140kmh force (i.e car is doing 100kmh and the wind is hitting the car at 40kmh)... has anyone else experienced this? They said they took my car on the highway and did not hear it.... but mind you they were probably doing 80kmh.....
Haha, an apprentice Ford mechanic, on a highway in someone elses car, using their petrol - tell me, do you really think they do 80kms?!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:50 PM   #5
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nope and nope.
lol id be stressing here i had those probs (:
but then mines only 4k km's
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 11:29 PM   #6
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

21,000km and no problem with wipers, makes no sound at all.

Noise comes from front suspension over corrigated (bumpy) road surfaces thru cornering. Otherwise, no issues at all.

Could you record what sound it makes?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:36 PM   #7
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

I sometimes get a slight whistling noise, not all the time though.
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
ferris01
I am a Princess!!!

Yes we have the knocking sound you have descirbed. About three weeks ago we had it a ford and they pulled out the entire back section looking for the noise. Originally they thougt it had something to do with the suspension then the rear seat. Then they took out the splash guard and the knocking sound stopped. So we were happy that the problem had been fixed. But about a week later the annoying sound was back.

This week it has been back at Ford since Tuesday so they could keep looking for it. Got a phone call this arvo saying it has something to do with the back left door. Supposed to be picking it up this arvo so will give more info when I find out.
ferris01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2005, 05:15 PM   #9
ferris01
I am a Princess!!!

As to the sound it makes it is very similar to a door not being closed properly and you get that knocking sound. So ford might be right. Lets hope so cause it is a really annoying sound.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #10
ferris01
I am a Princess!!!

Hey TEKI just realised that you have a Zetec. Ours is a LX 5 door. So I am now wondering if it could be the door. Personally my opinion is that it has something to to with where the fuel goes in or something along those lines. But will just have to wait and see.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:32 PM   #11
GROOV3
Rollin

i geta knocking sound from rear left, i just turn up the music cant hear , i think it might be the filler neck of the fuel tank maybe moving around ? or something but its not a suspension know dont thgink more something moving when driving. could be like an exhaust knock or something ?

who cares its a little $13k car ford aint going to do anyhting about it unless its an abvious suspension noise.
GROOV3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2005, 09:03 PM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROOV3
who cares its a little $13k car ford aint going to do anyhting about it unless its an abvious suspension noise.

Well i paid $21500 for German Engineering and build.... maybe i should have gotten a Mazda3......

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 09-09-2005, 09:17 PM   #13
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well i paid $21500 for German Engineering and build.... maybe i should have gotten a Mazda3......
lol funny you should should say Mazda 3 because HEAPS of them actually have a knock in the front suspension over bumps , ive heard it on a mates car and it was noted in a wheels mag test..... :sm_drool:
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2005, 09:52 PM   #14
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
lol funny you should should say Mazda 3 because HEAPS of them actually have a knock in the front suspension over bumps , ive heard it on a mates car and it was noted in a wheels mag test..... :sm_drool:
But ive also had other problems... must have been a friday car.... or a monday car made by ppl with hangovers?

Old 09-09-2005, 10:17 PM   #15
Fez WQ

Talking knoking

My car had a knocking sound comming from right rear it was a loose bit of trim the plastic bit in the boot were the parcel shelf sits
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2005, 10:23 PM   #16
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

There are so many ppl talking about knocking from a different area. ARGH. I think that rear knock from near the parcel shelf sounds about right, but sometimes i think its coming from the front. I think because its a small cabin i just think that its echoing.

On another note, ive noticed a big difference in Fuel consumption since i changed my oil! Ford Service wanted to put Castrol GTX or something rather... it was worth $19. When i said it wasnt recommended in the manual, i was instructed "oh, they go by the european weather. The conditions here are different, so your car doesnt need to perform in the cold".... well, after going with the oil recommended SAE 5W-30... the car now revs easier (still on ultimate petrol) and also fuel economy seems to be better. Glad i made the change (I was using Shell SuperSynergy i before [i think], which cost $55 and was 5W-50).

But argh, the knocking is annoying me now. I like to sometimes just turn off the music and listen to the engine.... not anymore. I think i might call 13FORD and ask advice... i want the problem sorted. I dont care if another Fiesta does it, im talking about mine! lol

Old 09-09-2005, 11:30 PM   #17
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a zetec and I only start to notice the wistle issue between speeds of 160 and 180km/h any faster and it disappears. This is a simply a fault in the desing of the windscreen winpers, as the air passes over them it creates the wistle. Nothing short of new wipers or a air deflecter will stop this.

The suspension makes no noise expect when going over speed bumps very slowly with no music I can hear the dampers compress.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 12:57 PM   #18
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
I have a zetec and I only start to notice the wistle issue between speeds of 160 and 180km/h any faster and it disappears. This is a simply a fault in the desing of the windscreen winpers, as the air passes over them it creates the wistle. Nothing short of new wipers or a air deflecter will stop this.

The suspension makes no noise expect when going over speed bumps very slowly with no music I can hear the dampers compress.
Mine happens when at speeds of 110kmh and in a high wind area.... VERY intrusive though! Like, how did they not notice it when pretesting the Fiesta? Isnt europe full of highways? Has even happened at 80kmh over the Anzac Bridge.....

Ive got the damper compressing noise, and a knocking....

Old 10-09-2005, 05:18 PM   #19
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It might have something to do with the wipers operating the other way around. Chances are they are designed to have low drag one way but when turned around for RHD models they develop the whistle. Just a possible reason.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 07:39 PM   #20
ferris01
I am a Princess!!!

Well when I get the knocking sound figured out. I wont let you know what it is...after all its my car : Just keep on knocking I say.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:00 PM   #21
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferris01
Well when I get the knocking sound figured out. I wont let you know what it is...after all its my car : Just keep on knocking I say.
Hahahah, when i said i dont care about another Fiesta... it was because they were talking about a service courtesy car.... i dont care if it has the knock, i want mine to not have it. Just because they said another car has it, why does that mean they shouldnt look at it?

Old 24-09-2005, 09:48 AM   #22
ferris01
I am a Princess!!!

Talking

My car was at Ford yesterday and they have finally narrowed it down to the back seat. Something to do with the latch. So at the moment the knocking sound has gone : dont really know what they did but its all good.
Old 24-09-2005, 03:13 PM   #23
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Its called tape, i sent my car in to get a squeek fixed, i got it back and upon inspection they had stuffed the area that was squeeking full of sticky tape, freakin noobs
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 05:19 PM   #24
ferris01
I am a Princess!!!

Teki get yours checked out the ford man said if it starts doing it again they will ask for it to be replaced.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:55 PM   #25
tinex

Default live whith that tipical fiesta

Quote:

:
i got lx and got same sound on 160 km/h and sospension knoking but its under warranty
tinex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #26
tinex

Default live whith that tipical fiesta

Quote:

:
i got lx and got same sound on 160 km/h and sospension knoking but its under warranty
tinex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2005, 06:41 PM   #27
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinex
FINALLY! Btw, is that your fiesta? If so, NICE! But yes, suspension is NOT covered by warranty anyways.... well knocks, rattles and squeaks are not. As for the wipers, was that under warranty?