Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 03-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Default WS Fiesta design flaw?

I dont mean to be a wet blanket, but I found this on Facebook and thought you good people should know:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...4.html#c351423

Several people have been finding stone chips on the wheel arches.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Bugger, stone chips.

Must be the same flaw on our other cars because they have stone chips too
Candyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I don't drive a WS Fiesta myself, I just thought I'd pass it along to make WS owners aware of a potential problem. No need for sarcasm, brother.

To quote some of the text on the webpage:
"...Ford produce the Galaxy and S-max with a special protective covering that fits over the rear wheel arches ..."
and
"...[it shows] what I believe to be a manufacturing defect where the design of the car is such that it inflicts damage to its bodywork and FORD have not allowed for any additional protection as they do in the GALAXY or S-MAX or indeed as do many other manufacturers..."

Who knows, the problem may have already been quietly fixed by Ford.
I may be making a fuss over nothing, but a little extra information never hurts.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 03-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
I don't drive a WS Fiesta myself, I just thought I'd pass it along to make WS owners aware of a potential problem. No need for sarcasm, brother.

Only joking mate. It was more pointed at the owner, not you.

Appreciate the info but when you read through the guys posts and see the vehicles he has pictures of, well, ...they haven't been treated at all well.

Ours has km's on it now and has done the Bridal Track - twice. No such damage so maybe they have fixed any issue that there was.

A number of cars have the rear protective coverings so if it is an issue, more likely just one of wear and tear.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

You got pics of the area where they are reffeing to Candyman?

Does look like a serious design fault!!!
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Nokia phone photos of ours (sorry about the quality)

No stone chips. Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe I just take care of it, maybe they will develop with more km's.

Stone chips are just a fact of life and hardly what I would call a serious design flaw. The bonnet of our GTI has plenty.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman2
Only joking mate. It was more pointed at the owner, not you.
No problem dude.
Sometimes it's hard to discern the intent behind someone's post - all too many flame wars have started with simple misunderstandings.

Anyway, the problem may have already been quietly fixed by Ford - like the clutch pedal linkage issue on some WP and WQ Fiestas (mine included).

Old 03-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Oh I'm known for it (abrupt comments) but as I said, it was directed at the info, not you.

Good to see the info though. I just see it as wear and tear. Ford paint isn't the best anyway.

Fitting mudflaps would help if people are worried or some simple clear film.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A massive advantage for me perhaps, having a 3-door. There appears to be no reports of 3-door models having this issue. Appears quite serious, though I bet these cars drive on gravel roads quite often, not a concern for me as mine stays on the tarmac. I'll keep my eyes open for it though, thanks for the heads up mate!
dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I would suggest it's reasonably common on a few FWD cars. Have a look at the front of the rear wheel arch on a Mitsubishi 380, it has a type of 3M tape protecting it from stone chips. These kinds of faults would only be discovered pretty late in the manufacturing process and it would be too late to modify the design of the car to avoid it.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've noticed that this area does and will get hammered by dirt and stones if you take the car on gravel roads. But hey it's only paint, it's not the end ofthe world or something
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #12
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

The times ours has been on gravel/dirt, that area is one place that seems to stay quite clean.

Looking at the body panel flow, I fail to see how stones from the front wheels could even hit that area.

The other cause could be people getting out of the rear ?

There are other more exposed areas on the car that would get hit by stones from use on gravel.

Still, hardly a "serious flaw"

A "serious flaw" or design fault would be a faulty engine compnent like the first run of 09 XT Foresters !

I would be worried by something like that.

Still, the original post suggests if you are worried, a simple application of 3M film would deal with any issues.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:42 AM   #13
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Behind the rear wheel is the most dirty place on the car most of the time and there's no chips there either, suprisingly
Old 04-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #14
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

I wonder if the little "spats" on the wheel arch are there for that reason - to deflect stones off the rear tyres.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #15
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I wonder if the little "spats" on the wheel arch are there for that reason - to deflect stones off the rear tyres.

I was about to bring that up!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #16
Fi.ES.TA

In all honesty looking at the paint work damage in the pics they must of been driven on some pretty poor quality roads,ive had mine 5 days and drive to work everyday which is 70klms from out gatton way to near the CBD and theres some poor roads on this trip with lots of small stones to be deflected and im not seeing any damage on the inflicted place where others have claimed to have lost paint.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #17
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi.ES.TA
Ive had mine 5 days and drive to work everyday which is 70klms from out gatton way to near the CBD and theres some poor roads on this trip with lots of small stones to be deflected.
You don't happen to have a 5-Door Vision Zetec do you LOL? I've keep seeing one!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #18
Fi.ES.TA

no lol just the 5 dr cl ocean blue,you no ive not seen one ws on the road
yet and i work from brisbane to gympie everyday truck driving.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #19
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

Having a look on the area just in front of the rear wheel on my WQ 3 door has an indent in the metal work, same thing has been peppered with little areas of missing paint!!!
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #20
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a look at ours today (WS 5 door Zetec) in this area since I hadn't for a few months and it is fairly heavily damaged when you have a look at it, similar to the pictures, but it's harder to see on a Silver car. It's only been on dirt roads a couple of times but the sealed roads here are made from large stones and there are quite a few loose ones on the road. But then again it was one of the first cars sold (had it 6 months) and it's only on the corner on the panel so it would be very easy to repaint if/when you wanted to sell the car or whatever.

I doubt any/many of you live on roads that are like ours not matter how bad you imagine your roads are so I don't think it will be an issue for most

Last edited by greenfoam; 04-07-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 18-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #21
Fi.ES.TA

Just cleaned the car today and found two stone chip marks in the same place,major ****ed off.Mud flaps have been ordered not having more of this happening only had it 3 week and i dont drive on unsealed roads :(
Old 18-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #22
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Glad ours seems to not have this design flaw
:the_finge

Had it since mid Feb, driven on plenty of gravel roads

No stone chips, anywhere.

Sounds like some paint flaws in some of the later runs in the Fiesta. Glad we got a good one.

Don't bother with mud flaps, get 3m film applied on the prone areas.
Old 18-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #23
Fi.ES.TA

This 3m film can you buy it from most auto spares dealers?
Old 18-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #24
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Glad ours seems to not have this design flaw
:the_finge

Had it since mid Feb, driven on plenty of gravel roads

No stone chips, anywhere.

Sounds like some paint flaws in some of the later runs in the Fiesta. Glad we got a good one.

Don't bother with mud flaps, get 3m film applied on the prone areas.
You are dreaming mate , take it on a road with loose large basalt stones or lend it to me for a couple of weeks and you will soon see the chips, it's not a design flaw it's just where the stones happen to land, they are all the same car .

Ours has quite a few chips in this spot and it's the exact same car as yours, just that we don't have the luxury of roads that are built with small stones and swept clean. That's just the way it's going to be with this car unless you stick tape over it. But since it's only on the very edge of the panel, repainting will be simple and cheap
Old 19-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #25
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's something ALL five door Fiestas seem to have, and develop over time. I can say, my car has been through plenty of roadworks and crap roads of late, and nothing yet. I seem to think the side skirt helps, as you look underneath it and there is PLENTY of chips under the skirt (not visible unless under the car).
Old 19-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #26
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
You are dreaming mate , take it on a road with loose large basalt stones
No dreams, has been on three trips on the roads you speak of.

Maybe it's the Conti tyres that others have.

As for repainting that particular area - it won't be cheap at all, you are dreaming on that one . Uless you are doing a backyard rough up job.

The panel edge is always a notorious place for a costly repaint.

As for the film, give Invisible Car Bras a call. I made up a template for the Fiesta for that area and was talking to them about it. I initially made a template up after all the scare mongering but never went ahead with it because I've had no problems qwit ous and have seen 5 doors with 15-20K o the clock with no damage either.

I can send the template if you want, or make your own.
Old 16-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #27
Ben85

bump bump

Thought this topic had been discussed before.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post