Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 25-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
ANGEL#3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New Fiesta - Vision June.

Hi all received a call from the dealer today that the colour we have ordered won’t come to the end of June. WTF! Not Happy.

So we had to change the colour. We ended up going for the Squeeze, well the wife did. Hope it's a nice colour as in the brochure.

Anyone else had this trouble?

Cheers
BB

ANGEL#3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
oldsoftboss

Which model did you go for? I would like a Zetec in squeeze later in the year, our local dealer has 2 CL models in the show room, and when I dropped of my work car to be serviced tonight, I saw another 8 - all white CL's out the back. They said they would have the LX's in next month and would "give me a ring" when the Zetec is in. Just wondering how much lead time I would need to give them for this thing to turn up as a "birthday present" for someone.
Dave
oldsoftboss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
ANGEL#3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We brought the LX model I wanted a Zetec but the wife didn't, go figure.
Coming from the dealer he said the Vision is the most popular colour being ordered worldwide.

Dave if there is any chance you could take a photo of the squeeze they have in the show room that would be great, as I haven't seen the colour.
The wife said she saw one today driving to Sydney on the back of a truck, Looks great she said.

Thanks
Aaron
Old 26-02-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Don't worry, the Dealer's not doing anything wrong. The Vision Zetec is just so popular that the cars ordered for Australia are now sold out until June. They have no control over when it arrives, they're just given the soonest available one.
Old 26-02-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No ones going to get a Zetec before about June (in most colours) now.
I think there's going be a similar if not worse delay for the rest of the year untill we start getting them from the Thai factory as the German one has alleady been at full production for ages. But they can only build 2000 a day and need to supply alot of Europe and Australia with just one factory at the moment
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
ANGEL#3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not blaming the dealer; I’m just amazed by how well the new Fiesta is selling. Looking forward to the day when it arrives so I can get to work on it. Tints first up.
Old 27-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
oldsoftboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Betty
Dave if there is any chance you could take a photo of the squeeze they have in the show room that would be great, as I haven't seen the colour.
Just an update, they don't have squeeze in Bendigo, just a couple of greyey looking CL models. (Not the same color grey, but similar)

Anyway, as I mentioned above about the car we would be looking for, got a call from the dealer today stating that if we ordered a Zetec this week it wouldn't be here until July. Seems a long time to wait if you want a car now. I think they will miss a lot of sales.

As we are looking at getting a newwy towards the end of the year timing will be no problem. Will try to screw the deal a bit as the waiting thing will definitely be a card in my favor.

Dave
Old 27-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah so many people must be going elsewhere, almost half a year is along time to have to wait for a car but I can't see anyway it's going to improve until the Thai factory opens
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 11:07 PM   #9
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

My Mrs had the same problem when the WQ came out, she had to wait months for her Zetec in the color she wanted. Unfortunately it happens when new cars are released, and the waits are even longer if the cars are coming from Germany!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 02:07 AM   #10
ANGEL#3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talk about hot property. I don’t think its helps the consumer much when given that the UK Top Gear and other car shows and Mags across teh world are giving the car a good write up. No wonder the wait is so long.

Took one for a test drive yesterday 27/02 very nice. I could hardly hear the car start, gear changers smooth, steering very responsive and light. So far I'm happy with what we have ordered. I'm glade I waited.

BB
Old 28-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
bdesigns
Joy Ride

Yeah, as the days go past, im glad i got in early and got my Zetec. Lucky back then they had a new Zetec on the ship already in the colour that i wanted.

I still havent seen any Zetecs around my area, which makes my car more special :P. I see people looking at my car more and more esp after the Motorshow yeserday. Hehehe..
bdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Not liking this gear change position - too far forward.

I am going to look at shortshifting it. It's OK but with the longish throw, can become tiresome for 1st and 3rd.

Also, just an FYI, after washing the car a few times now, I have noticed that the build is a little suspect on some areas such as the rear and front bars - all too loosely attached.

Couple of other minor areas where the build is a little suspect.

Still, no worse than others at this end of the market.

Noticed a little bit of rail dust showing up so I plan is to clay it at the next wash.

The engine bay is a bit mediocre eh. Too messy and what is with the cheapish plastic covers on the top of the engine ....Look like they came out of a packing case.
Candyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
oldsoftboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman2
Noticed a little bit of rail dust showing up so I plan is to clay it at the next wash.
Huh ??? I must be getting old.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #14
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoftboss
Huh ??? I must be getting old.
Whe the cars get transported they usually pick up rail dust that deposits on the paint (happens to many new cars).

It works into the clearcote and will eventually rust leaving small rust spots on the paint.

Only way to get rid of it is to claybar the paint and then apply your favourite sealer/wax.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
south21

Hi candyman2 what is rail dust and also what does clay it mean.

thanks

south21
south21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Rail dust are tiny specks of metal that are commonly found on train transport. They can actually float in the air and deposit on surfaces.

The specks deposit on surfaces and in the case of car paint, migrate into the clearcote and as I said, eventually cause small rust spots.

A claybar can be purchased from most car detailing shops.

Essentially it is just clay in a solid bar and you use it with a spray lubricant. Gently dragging it over the lubricated surface, it picks up and lifts contaminants out of the clearcote.

The only thing that will remove rail dust.

Edit - deleted link - sorry.

Last edited by Candyman2; 01-03-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #17
oldsoftboss

Thanks for the heads up...

Next..
I see one of the options are Garmin GPS units. Is there any feed back on their quality/usability. Are the maps updatedable etc. The price seems pretty reasonable.

Edit.. Seems these GPS units are "Portable GPS units". So I would presume they are not intergrated into the dash of the car.

Dave

Last edited by oldsoftboss; 01-03-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #18
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Well, the unit that Ford are using is utlising a version of SYNC so it is possible that a software update could use a GPS display ???

Don't think the display is really capable of much on it's own though but certainly voice control etc could be possible.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
longjohn1987
Starter Motor

Thought I would mention that I too will have to wait untill June/July for my Zetec 5 door manual in Vision... I have decided to wait, as i have been carless for the past year, so whats another 3-4 months right? :P
it will be a very long wait however...
longjohn1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #20
eleusis
Starter Motor

Quote:
Well, the unit that Ford are using is utlising a version of SYNC so it is possible that a software update could use a GPS display ???

Don't think the display is really capable of much on it's own though but certainly voice control etc could be possible.
I'm not sure whether the Fiesta WS uses the SYNC platform - I've seen demo videos of the SYNC voice recognition system handling a wider array of commands than the Fiesta can handle..
eleusis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #21
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleusis
I'm not sure whether the Fiesta WS uses the SYNC platform - I've seen demo videos of the SYNC voice recognition system handling a wider array of commands than the Fiesta can handle..
Ford announced that all their global cars will use their version of SYNC so yes, it is based on SYNC

SYNC can be modified easily with software updates.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #22
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Here you go ...

I also confirmed it is SYNC based with the Service Manager in our Fiesta

Quote:
DETROIT, Mich., Jan. 7, 2007 - Ford Motor Company today announced the launch of a new factory-installed, in-car communications and entertainment system that is designed to change the way consumers use digital media portable music players and mobile phones in their vehicles.

The Ford-exclusive technology based on Microsoft Auto software, called Sync, provides consumers the convenience and flexibility to bring into their vehicle nearly any mobile phone or digital media player and operate it using voice commands or the vehicle's steering wheel or radio controls.

Ford owners will not need to worry about whether their car or truck is compatible with the latest phone or music player that hits the market. Sync seamlessly integrates the vehicle with the popular portable electronic devices of today and is upgradeable to support the devices and services of tomorrow.

"Sync is what today's generation and today's drivers demand in connectivity," says Derrick Kuzak, group vice president, product development, Ford Motor Company. "Not only does it offer hands-free phone operation and iPod®, Zune or MP3 player connectivity, it's built on a software platform that is upgradeable and will allow us to offer new features by simply upgrading the software."

Sync offers consumers two ways to bring electronic devices into their Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles and operate them seamlessly through voice commands or steering wheel controls:

Bluetooth, for wireless connection of phones and phones that play music.
A USB 2.0 port for command and control and charging of digital media players - including the Apple iPod and Microsoft Zune - as well as PlaysForSure music devices and most USB media storage devices. Supported formats include MP3, AAC, WMA, WAV and PCM.

The ability to upgrade Sync, control all portable electronic devices via voice commands, offer a USB port to connect storage devices and recharge electronics puts this technology well beyond technology available today - including Bluetooth, hands-free offerings or portable music device connections.

"More than 80 percent of U.S. households use cell phones , and 60 million digital music devices have been sold. That's a 50 percent increase from just 2005," Kuzak said. "With such market growth led by consumers' needs, Sync is the right new technology at the right time for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles."

Sync will debut this calendar year on the 2008 Ford Focus, Fusion, Five Hundred, Edge, Freestyle, Explorer and Sport Trac; Mercury Milan, Montego and Mountaineer; and Lincoln MKX and MKZ. The technology will be on all Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles in the near future.

"Ford and Microsoft share a vision for a future where drivers are safely connected to the people, information and entertainment they care about while they are on the road," said Bill Gates, Chairman, Microsoft Corporation. "Built on Microsoft Auto technology, Ford Sync delivers an in-car system that is an important step toward achieving this vision. Using software that bridges the automotive and consumer electronics industries, Sync will help revolutionize the driving experience by providing a simple system that intelligently connects mobile phones, music players, and more."
Old 06-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #23
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Anytime you see DETROIT, Mich. on the header of a Ford Press release, it applies to North America only.

Completely and utterly ignore that Press release for anything outside of North America. It's a Europe developed technology that the North Americans will brand "Sync" most probably simply because it has similar functions, but it's not actually Microsoft Sync (TM).

WS Fiesta doesn't have SYNC.

The Garmin units are portable, just like you can buy at any Audio or Electronics store, but they're very very well priced. Effectively the same price as you can find in the aftermarket, making them a nice purchase from day one at a competitive price.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #24
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec

WS Fiesta doesn't have SYNC. .
Would be most interested to see what info you have to say it isn't a version of SYNC (a number of news items both from Europe and the USA towards the end of 08, beginning 09 suggest the WS does have a version of MS SYNC (Ford customised).

ps - My dealer listed my version as 2.0. Version 3.0 should be here in a month or so and it will be a dealer offered software upgrade via the USB port. From the specs I've seen, looks to be some great enhancements

Last edited by Candyman2; 06-03-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #25
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Effectively the same price as you can find in the aftermarket, making them a nice purchase from day one at a competitive price.
You can get the same unit 30% cheaper from online sellers.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #26
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Would be most interested to see what info you have to say it isn't a version of SYNC (a number of news items both from Europe and the USA towards the end of 08, beginning 09 suggest the WS does have a version of MS SYNC (Ford customised).

ps - My dealer listed my version as 2.0. Version 3.0 should be here in a month or so and it will be a dealer offered software upgrade via the USB port. From the specs I've seen, looks to be some great enhancements
http://www.motorauthority.com/ford-t...to-follow.html

No doubt SYNC is the superior system, especially with the latest enhancements. Does seem strange to have 2 systems, but on the Mondeo and Fiesta it's just too different to the North American version to be the same thing. Seems more likely just combined bluetooth and voice control which with a bit of code isn't too hard to integrate into a car with a budget and some development time.

In the end I'm not certain, but I'd be surprised since it would give huge GLOBAL Marketing advantages and for European product ot make no mention of it suggest to me that it's not the same thing.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:49 AM   #27
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
http://www.motorauthority.com/ford-t...to-follow.html

No doubt SYNC is the superior system, especially with the latest enhancements. Does seem strange to have 2 systems, but on the Mondeo and Fiesta it's just too different to the North American version to be the same thing. Seems more likely just combined bluetooth and voice control which with a bit of code isn't too hard to integrate into a car with a budget and some development time.

In the end I'm not certain, but I'd be surprised since it would give huge GLOBAL Marketing advantages and for European product ot make no mention of it suggest to me that it's not the same thing.
They are referring to the next-gen version 3.0 based on that article.

Verson 2.0 has been out for more than 3 months in Europe.

Also, I note the item you linked to does say ...

Quote:
Ford will be working closely with a number of technology companies, including Microsoft, INRIX, TeleNav, Tellme, M/A-COM and Airbiquity. One of the key benefits of Ford’s SYNC is that it is built around an open system that accepts hardware, software products and applications. Ford has no interest in developing its own proprietary system.
It is also available as an aftermarket add on in Europe

The Euro Focus has had it since 2007.

Looking at the functionality that is offered by the USA version, it is identical to that in my WS Fiesta.

http://www.ford.com/about-ford/news-...-popular-29680

The first gen came out back in early '07 although reading the specs on a couple of the blue oval forums, the first gen didn't offer what the version I have in my WS does.

http://www.autonewscast.com/2009/01/...ces/#more-1720

Fiats Blue & Me is also based on MS SYNC (but not as good as the Ford version from what I've read).

The Fiesta being made at the new Ghangzou plant (and on display at the Ghangzou auto show held in China last month) has SYNC (and they even had "in partnership with MS" as one of their advo feeds at the display.

Like you, I doubt they would run two systems but I guess this is Ford we are talking about . :