Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-03-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
Smithy1987

Default Adaptive Cruise Control, am I the only one that feels its a gimmick?

I have a 2018 Wildtrack with adaptive cruise control, it is the first and only car I have driven with this system so I don't know if its just mine or other vehicles also suffer the same problem. If I use it on the open road (country driving) every time there is a corner or any kind of a crest the radar loses lock and my ute tries to ram the vehicle in front (note: this issue is made significantly worse if the lead vehicle is doing ten or more less than me). Fair enough if I can't use it on these roads, I'm not expecting miracles of the radar seeing through hills or around corners. So I decided well, it must work on nice flat open roads like freeways.... Only it doesn't. the moment there is more than one or two cars in front of me, the system goes into meltdown, throws a hissie fit, screams that the sensor is blocked and then goes and sulks in a corner, taking the rest of the cruise control system with it. This forces me to either A: navigate through a myriad of menus and changing the cruise system to regular cruise, all the while trying not to crash and burn in a fiery end or B: curse at what a stupid bloody system it is and use the speed limiter instead.

Seriously though, is there something or some use case scenario I am missing? all thoughts and feedback welcome!

Cheers,

Smithy
Smithy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 09:08 PM   #2
Danny
GT4.

Default Re: Adaptive Cruise Control, am I the only one that feels its a gimmick?

That’s not normal behaviour.

Get it checked.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #3
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Adaptive Cruise Control, am I the only one that feels its a gimmick?

Works great in our Everest Trend. I think my record is around 5kms without touching the steering wheel or brake/accelerator peddle. The cluster lights up like a Christmas Tree and the chimes go off due to the lack of driver input.

What I don’t like it the steering wheel sometimes fighting my input, noticeably when changing lanes or entering an off ramp. The steering wheel shudders and applies opposite force to my input. That’s not safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 29-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funnily enough I was having a similar conversation with a bloke the other day how his BA just seems to just speed up through corners which I thought was weird.

I wouldn't consider this normal. If it doesn't adapt then it is not adaptive and a bit dangerous.

I though it was a beauty when my WRX kept it on the set speed going downhill compared to earlier systems which didn't. And you set the speed with the speedo and manual trigger, no digital readout

How times have changed. Having said that there was a recall for when the cable got stuck so each era has it's challenges
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 09:58 PM   #5
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Never had anything like that happen with my Ranger or Everest, definitely a problem there, get it looked at.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
Smithy1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
That’s not normal behaviour.

Get it checked.
I'm planning on it, but I don't have a huge amount of faith in my local dealer.
Old 29-03-2019, 10:05 PM   #7
Smithy1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
What I don’t like it the steering wheel sometimes fighting my input, noticeably when changing lanes or entering an off ramp. The steering wheel shudders and applies opposite force to my input. That’s not safe.
I don't mind the lane keeping, I haven't found it to be over powered however I do find that I don't pay as much attention with it on so most times I leave it off
Old 29-03-2019, 10:07 PM   #8
Smithy1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Funnily enough I was having a similar conversation with a bloke the other day how his BA just seems to just speed up through corners which I thought was weird.
First car I had with cruise control was my ba ute, damn near killed myself at the first sharpish corner when I moved my foot away from the accelerator and the ute didn't slow! 😂 😂 😂
2 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2019, 10:17 PM   #9
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy1987 View Post
First car I had with cruise control was my ba ute, damn near killed myself at the first sharpish corner when I moved my foot away from the accelerator and the ute didn't slow! �� �� ��
That just sounds normal for cruise control. You can use the accelerator to speed up past the set point for overtaking, but it will coast back to the set point. Any brake or clutch input turns it off, so yeah, going into a corner its going to try and maintain the set speed regardless unless you brake or clutch it in a manual. Its not fancy like the adaptive radar cruise in cars today. My bf has the fancy regular cruise control that tries to engine brake through the auto so it doesnt coast as bad down hills, but its still just cruise control at the end of the day in that car, nothing fancy.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #10
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

We have an Everest Trend and use the adaptive cruise control when traveling between Sydney to coffee harbour and back. We find we can drive several hundred kilometers without touching the brake or accelerator which is great. The only concern is it’s over zealous de-accelloration when it’s sees a situation change on front of it ie a car pulling in front. It seems to brake harder than you would normally do. Scares the crap out of the missus and anything driving behind you - just saying
pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 10:27 PM   #11
Smithy1987

Do the Everests have autonomous braking? The Wildtrak will preload the brakes which is a wierd feeling as it can still decelerate quite fast
Old 29-03-2019, 10:50 PM   #12
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Do the Everests have autonomous braking? The Wildtrak will preload the brakes which is a wierd feeling as it can still decelerate quite fast

Yes they do, it can decelerate quite quick.

Old 30-03-2019, 07:52 AM   #13
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yes they do, it can decelerate quite quick.

Yes - even took me by surprise the first time it activated. I haven’t tested the mustang yet but I would suspect it would be the same
Old 30-03-2019, 08:05 AM   #14
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The adaptive cruise on our Wildtrak is brilliant. I don’t think we would ever buy another car/truck without it.. Only problem with the adaptive cruise for us is that we have px2 XL work ute also which doesn’t have adaptive cruise, and sometimes when driving the XL you forget that it doesn’t have it.
Old 30-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #15
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Whatever happened normal driving?

Am I being left behind? Or is the human race?.....

After reading some of the above posts, at least this post was created by grey matter..

Last edited by marty351; 30-03-2019 at 08:54 AM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #16
Sioso
irregular member

We have radar activated cruise control in both our cars, a C43 and an Audi Q5 and they are both the most over complicated, useless and unsafe systems I've ever had the displeasure of using.
I'll be going back in time and buying something second hand when these cars have run their course.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2019, 11:15 AM   #17
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
This might be a silly question but when you're doing these things are you indicating? ..if the indicators are not on, then it will continue to keep you in the lane it thinks you're supposed to be in. as soon as you indicate, it disables.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #18
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I recently moved house and have a longer drive involving freeway driving so using the cruise control much more than I ever used to. I find adaptive so good yet frustrating sometimes... frustrating because if you're speeding in the right lane, you normally like to approach people to encourage them to move out of the lane if they're travelling slower but the adaptive prevents this. I often forget about it and then crack it later wondering why I'm only going 90..

Then when I jump in to a car that doesn't have it, I miss it. Hah!

Same goes for lane correction to I find.

All in all, it's actually a little worrying. Both technologies are encouraging more laziness and, potentially, less attention in some ways.
Old 30-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #19
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD View Post
This might be a silly question but when you're doing these things are you indicating? ..if the indicators are not on, then it will continue to keep you in the lane it thinks you're supposed to be in. as soon as you indicate, it disables.

Yes if you use your indicators it will override the lane departure system
Old 30-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #20
malazn mafia
Boss 335

If the car in front is exceeding the speed limit, will adaptive cruise control follow the car ?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #21
Smithy1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
If the car in front is exceeding the speed limit, will adaptive cruise control follow the car ?
Only if you've got it set to exceed the limit, you set the maximum speed and the car won't go past that but will slow down for slower traffic (in theory)
Old 30-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Only if it has the blue lights optional package,
those fellas pick any speed they like
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #23
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
We have radar activated cruise control in both our cars, a C43 and an Audi Q5 and they are both the most over complicated, useless and unsafe systems I've ever had the displeasure of using.
I'll be going back in time and buying something second hand when these cars have run their course.
The missus and I opted for a new old stock vehicle that didn't come with any of that when we bought our last vehicle. Don't like, don't need, don't trust and don't want the new safety tech.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #24
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Everests wont come to a complete stop, a friend was driving my Titanium last weekend with me in the passenger seat and he asked about it. Coming up to stopped cars at road works we left the adaptive cruise on and sat back to see what it would do, it slowed right down but was definitely not going to stop.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #25
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I might be wrong but I thought in order for an object to change direction it must be acted on by an external force. When cornering the centripetal force causes the car to decelerate and if you want to maintain speed more throttle needs to be applied.

There are other forces at play such as friction with scrubbing but I’ve noticed if I keep the throttle constant the car does slow down when cornering.
Old 30-03-2019, 05:49 PM   #26
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
Interesting. Where do you see the 'sweet spot' is between relatively new good cars, and not having intrusive and perhaps unsafe extra safety systems?
Old 30-03-2019, 09:31 PM   #27
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Interesting. Where do you see the 'sweet spot' is between relatively new good cars, and not having intrusive and perhaps unsafe extra safety systems?
I guess it depends how old you are, now I understand the 80yr old dude driving around in his immaculate HR Ute.
I like power windows, power steering even abs and regular cruise control, all the autonomous and intrusive stuff that has made it's way into mainstream vehicles over the past 5 or so years is not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83
The missus and I opted for a new old stock vehicle that didn't come with any of that when we bought our last vehicle. Don't like, don't need, don't trust and don't want the new safety tech.
Yep I agree, my wife wants a new old stock CX9 which doesn't have all the autonomous stuff.
They were all updated around sept, oct last year.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2019, 01:00 AM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I need to get myself one of these cars with this adaptive cruise control - will be a hoot to drive through Melbourne suburbia without having to touch the accelerator and brake
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #29
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahhh ...........the good old days. Open door with key, get in, turn key in ignition, drive off.
Mate just bought a new auto LandCruiser. He did a dance before driving off and I asked what it was about.
A secret 'not in the owner's manual' method of cutting out overdrive and increasing the rev range when driving in city traffic. The lights in the mirrors were on continually telling him there were cars beside him...…. doh, on a busy city road at 40kmh, I think that is an expected situation.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I prefer regular cruise. Would be good to have it as an option if you have adaptive on your car.