Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
Rs31markie

Default Lt focus bad starting.

Hi, just wondered if anyone has had a similar problem to me. '07 petrol manual. Very slow to turn over first thing in morning, does normally start but only just. Had two new battery's, charge rate is 13.7. Once it starts u can then turn it off and restart straight away and it's fine, it's only when it's left for a period of time. I'm thinking either its got a battery drain situation or a starter motor fault? Do the starters give any problems??
Thanks for any help, assistance. Mark

Last edited by Rs31markie; 02-07-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Rs31markie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: Lt focus bad starting.

Couple of things you can do:
Using your multimeter, what is the battery charge first thing in the morning, prior to starting? Fully charged at 12.6 or lower?
Then, as you crank it (first start), what does the charge drop to? Less than 9.5V?

If you feel it's a battery drain situation, do a parasitic draw test with your multimeter.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Cars are weird - my 2006 LS is the opposite - starts fine first time every time when cold, but when warm, I have to turn the key to On, but not start, and leave it there for at least 3 beeps of the warning tone, then it will start. If I try to start straight away, it coughs and splutters and sometimes won't start (like it's flooded)
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had something similar with another car. Using a lower W rated oil improved cold engine start for me.

What oil are you using?
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
Rs31markie

Thanks for input, think I've found the problem. Battery good only dropping to 10.8v on cranking, the glove box light had fallen out and wasn't turning off. Quick refit and adjust, just wait till morning now. Also big thanks to GTLegend.
Rs31markie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post