Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
Fent-Dog
Starter Motor

Question Very strange problem with my XR5T Mondeo

After parking my XR5t Mondeo on a hill the other day, my wife asked, “what if the hand brake fails?” I explained that since the car was in gear, it would not role away as the compression of the engine would hold it firmly.

Unsurprisingly, my wife did not believe me, so to prove my point I demonstrated by putting the parked car in 1st gear and releasing the hand brake.

Imagine my surprise when the car began to roll down the hill, surprise and confusion.

The car held for a second before ‘shuffling’ forward a short distance before holding again for a second, and the shuffling forward before holding again.
It seemed that it was turning the engine, it was allowing the cylinders to the move up and down.

Now, I have owned many many different cars over the years, and they all held when in gear. Everyone I’ve spoken to, (people who know about these things) agree that the car should always hold in gear.

The boof heads at ford service said “of course the car rolled forward, the compression will leak through the vales and rings”. I think this is rubbish, but they had no Mondeo or Focus Turbos to test.

So I need your help...

If there is a Mondeo XR5t owner on the forum with a hill outside their house, could you PLEASE try and park the car in gear and see what happens. Obvioulsy don’t park the car over night, it should shuffle forward immediately.

I am at your mercy!!

Fent-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
burnz
VFII SS UTE

being a turbo it has low stattic compression, so depending on the grade of hill yes it will roll down the hill.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I 'll give it a go next time I drive the car
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
Fent-Dog
Starter Motor

That would be brilliant.

The hill was only moderately steep, like a steep driveway.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never had that happen to me with manuals. Which gear was it in?
Old 09-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Fent-Dog
Starter Motor

Simply out of habit, I leave the vehicle in 1st.

My old man (very old) always said "leave the vehicle in a gear which is the opposite direction it wants to roll"

So I gave reverse a try with the same result.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
Simon_Koala
Starter Motor ?

One way around this may be to park it in reverse, which would be one way of getting around the cars inclination to roll forward and thus give you one solution to your situation .......
Old 09-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
fordmondeoman

Well these cars arnt light and yeah im not suprised that the car moves forward, i wouldnt put it in reverse as this will mean the engine will turn backwards which isnt a great idear i know some engines not saying this one can have the timing chain and even belts some times skip a tooth if its turned backwards, shouldnt happen but can.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deleted

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My blonde moment perhaps, but isnt this normal? other wise how would you clutch start manuals.
Holding is what park is for.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
My blonde moment perhaps, but isnt this normal? other wise how would you clutch start manuals.
Holding is what park is for.
Clutch starting manuals is getting enough speed up to use the compression to start the engine.

This is more about the OP worried his car is moving against the compression.
Old 14-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
being a turbo it has low stattic compression, so depending on the grade of hill yes it will roll down the hill.
theres the answer, nearly every turbo car ive had would roll on a slope in gear.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #13
fordmondeoman

This is true with turbos but the new direct injection turbo engines run a compression ratio of 10:1 some times even high, which isnt much lower than NA engine are today and higher than engine only 10 years ago
Old 15-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
Fent-Dog
Starter Motor

Just so everyone understands where I'm coming from, the XR5 is the first turbo (petrol) vehicle I've owned.

However over the years I've have owned numerous other cars, new & old V8s, and diesel & petrol 4x4's. All of these held their own weight when in gear.
I've grown up under the strict instruction (and anyone who has owned an older car will agree) you cannot trust the hand brake.

I always use the hand brake in the Mondeo, it would be foolish not to. However I was surprise to find that the car will roll away if the wife failed to pull it on tight enough

At work we have fleet of SS Commodores and XR6 Turbos, which we routinely drive very quickly, subsequently we NEVER use the hand brake, otherwise we would end up with square rotors. Granted these vehicles are automatics, however the same rule applies when we are given manual vehicles to evaluate.

I was just curious if this phenomenon was common in Mondeos, or if mine was defective. If someone is willing to wander outside and test it, this discussion will be finalised once and for all.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #15
Zippy7

I think perhaps you've confused manual and automatic cars, or your memory fails you...

In an auto, when you stick the car in park, it engages a lock/brake. You don't leave your auto car in 1 or N or D, you use P.

I have not had a manual that has held itself on a hill in 1st or reverse gear without using the handbrake.
The handbrake is a critical part of driving a manual car - you would not have received your license 20+ years ago without using the handbrake. It should be fully engaged after 3 or 4 clicks.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #16
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't had this issue with my XR5.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
Zippy7

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/runaway-ca...0510-uo6g.html
Old 03-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #18
JK EX CHASER
Formally kotevski22

It is good practice to have the wheel turned towards the gutter when parked just in-case the car get hit while parked or forget to put the handbrake on.
JK EX CHASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post