Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
Lez
Starter Motor

Default Focus 2008 LX auto manual shift problem

I need some tech help ,all solenoids and shifter and the ATM have been replaced ,both the manual shifter and top gear are still not working at first it was intermitant now all bad,Its been on Fords own tester and it says all is ok , Im sick of the thing .
Lez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 
Default Re: Focus 2008 LX auto manual shift problem

Hi. Intermittent faults are always the hardest to find and yet once found can be the easiest to fix. It could be one terminal not seated properly in a plug anywhere between the transmission ECU and the auto itself or in the control section on the shifter and again any plugs between that and the ECU. What you need is a workshop with an "old school mechanic" who is not relying on computer codes but will look for a fault based on what you are telling him and if the car is playing up when you take it to him, even better. Good luck. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
Lez
Starter Motor

What I need is a circuit showing the connections between the manual switcher on the shifter and where it goes ,I have a replacemed both the ECU and the shifter and checked and sprayed with crc 2-26 all plugs that I could.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
Lez
Starter Motor

If anyone has a circuit diagram for 2008 focus that shows the circuit for the manual shift I would appreciate it , I have tried ford they wont release any info, I have circuits for the LV series 4F27E but no manual shift detail ,it must have a momentary switch in the shifter controlling a relay or ATM/ETU and maybe the park inhibitor switch which is also called a speed range sensor .
Old 10-03-2017, 09:42 PM   #5
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

The whole LS Focus workshop manual and wiring diagrams are on these forums in the technical resources section. Granted, yours may be an LT Focus, but they are very similar cars.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
Lez
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord View Post
The whole LS Focus workshop manual and wiring diagrams are on these forums in the technical resources section. Granted, yours may be an LT Focus, but they are very similar cars.
Mine is an LX btw and I have already looked at those diagrams but alas no detail on how the manual shift works even a block diagram would help. thanks anyway.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #7
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

For clarification LS, LT, etc. are the models, 'LX' is a badge / trim level.

You can have an LS LX, LT LX, etc.
Old 17-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #8
Lez
Starter Motor

Just replaced the transmission range sensor but still no success
according to one of the circuits I have it has some interaction but still cannot find a circuit for this model which has the side gate on the stick for manual changing .
Old 24-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
Lez
Starter Motor

Angry Re: Focus 2008 LX auto manual shift problem

Being an old school never say die ,I took the stick assembly apart and found that they use small magnets attached to and sliding with the shift cover plates over a circuit board that has reed switches, the magnet on the side gate side is not there,could not find it on the floor or down between carpet and body so its a mystery, I have another stick assembly coming so shall see how I go.
Old 24-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #10
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting, keep us updated
Old 29-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #11
Lez
Starter Motor

Ok problem finally solved thanks to sequential auto electrical 0412325348 who are advisors to the trade Im told ,it boils down to the co2 sensor being at fault and puts the car into some sort of limp mode which does not show up properly on the analisers as a trans fault but as a engine management fault , he reckons there is a software bug from Ford. anyway job is done .
Old 06-07-2017, 10:59 PM   #12
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if I understand correctly, an 02 sensor fault was putting the engine in a reduced power mode, locking you out of manual shift and top gear?
Old 07-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #13
Lez
Starter Motor

That is correct , according to the auto electrician the soft ware program was done by a person who did not care about testing out the diagnostic systems correctly either that or quality control dropped the ball, either way Ford was no help to me not for the want of trying on my part, at the cost of 3 diagnostic tests on 3 different locations @$80 a pop I am the well spring that has to bear the cost plus a $1k plus for parts that were not needed , am I bitter? you bet.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #14
Lez
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lez View Post
That is correct , according to the auto electrician the soft ware program was done by a person who did not care about testing out the diagnostic systems correctly either that or quality control dropped the ball, either way Ford was no help to me not for the want of trying on my part, at the cost of 3 diagnostic tests on 3 different locations @$80 a pop I am the well spring that has to bear the cost plus a $2k plus for parts that were not needed , am I bitter? you bet.
edited costs added.