Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
karioi
Starter Motor

Smile 2012 LW Mk1 2 litre diesel oil filter

I have always done my own servicing (petrol cars only) and this year I bought the wife a 2012 LW diesel (german made). She has done 15000 since it was last serviced and I need to change the oil and filter.
I have bought 10 litres of the recommended oil and the cartridge filter.
My question is "Where is the oil filter located". I have looked everywhere from above and can't see it. I can't find on YouTube any video showing a LW filter change. YouTube is a great source of info, not this time.
also
a. Do you access the filter from above or under the car.
b. What other parts do you have to remove to access it.

Any pics as well would be most appreciated.

karioi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2012 LW Mk1 2 litre diesel oil filter

they usually hide it in front LHS of the motor as you look in the engine bay and accessed from the top. Its usually in a black plastic case with a big plastic nut on top as they crew off ( hence you get a rubber ring with the cartridge.) from memory the fuel filter is ion the plastic case about level with the top of the cylinder head and the oil filter housing lower and toward the center of the motor. be cautious oin the fuel filter change because bleeding the fuel line can be tricky and car will not start unless its done well.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
karioi
Starter Motor

Thanks marg99 for your reply. I had a quick look this morning and found a black canister behind the oil filler tube at the front of the engine to the left side. Very hard to find, it is at the back of the alternator. Is this the oil or fuel filter? Does the fuel filler look the same or can they be differentiated. If this is the oil filter I presume you have to move the flexible oil filler tube to one side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (130.9 KB, 55 views)
Old 01-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
karioi
Starter Motor

It was the oil filter and very difficult to get out. Had to make my own 27 mm spanner bent to the right shape to fit in there to get it out. It took a couple of hours because of that. It will be much easier next service but then again!! I have to change the fuel filter. Where is that located???
Old 01-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you need to make sure you can bleed the fuel system if you change the fuel filter. It can be messy and unless done tight the car will not start. Not sure where it is in that version but just follow the fuel lines from the injectors common rail back to a plastic canister with fuel lines running to and from its top They will need to be disconnected.
I used a small house hold mist sprayer to do my fuel but it took ages using its pump mechanism. there is a ford tool for it.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had this same issue. I modified the engine bay to enable easy access.

Here's a video I made about it. Hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/5fIqehWKJzY
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post