Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: What is your stance on childhood vaccination
Pro Vaccination without researching. 10 45.45%
Pro Vaccination after I researched. 11 50.00%
Anti Vaccination without researching. 0 0%
Anti Vaccination after I researched. 1 4.55%
Anti vaccination because of the very large schedule. 0 0%
Not sure, I wish there was more readily available info. 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
leighm

Default Immunising your baby....the risks of doing it outweigh the risks of not doing it?

I will be a first time father in 3 months. I never gave a second thought to whether or not to immunise your kids or not, I figured it was just the normal done thing. My partner is dead against it and me being someone who likes to research and form my own opinion, I started to look into it.

Through the research I came across a very interesting fact that 100% swayed me to the non vaccination corner for my personal circumstance. In a debate between a pro and non vaccination person, the non lady asked the pro man, can you get the Medicare report that states how many children have been vaccinated have contracted the diseases they were immunised against also the statistics for children suffering adverse side effects from the immunisation. The answer was that, yes, it is possible to get that report, but it AGAINST THE LAW to use any government information from those systems against the government's pro vaccination agenda.

So I read further into the pro and against and discovered that currently we are the highest level of vaccinations, but also the highest level of whooping cough....and you have the media telling you that not getting vaccinated yourself and your kids is putting all kids at danger. A little alarmism I would have thought given that the kids with whooping cough are in fact vaccinated as well as the unvaccinated kids.

I had an infection in my finger the other day from a drill I had a fight with, anyway I went to the doctor as it was not healing properly. Automatically she wanted to give me a tetanus shot, when I sauid why she said that you have not had a tetanus shot since high school. I said yes and in that time I have not contracted tetanus and have had many many cuts and scratches all over my body. She replied, so you are refusing the vaccination? I said, No, I never asked for it and you never justified why I needed it. The agenda for government and doctors is to push you into vaccines which is wrong. There should be a valid discussion as to why you need it, what side effects there could be and then let you make the informed choice...but you rarely hear the anti vaccine side of the story.

My question I pose to others out there is, are you pro or anti vaccine? If you are either have you done research yourself to make the informed choice?

Last edited by leighm; 23-03-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Stuffed up the title :(
Old 23-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
YOB POM

Default Re: Immunising your baby....the risks of doing it outweigh the risks of not doing it?

You need to read this.
http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/vaxliars.htm

John.
Old 23-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
leighm

Default Re: Immunising your baby....the risks of doing it outweigh the risks of not doing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOB POM
You need to read this.
http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/vaxliars.htm

John.
The first paragraph reads: "It is almost beyond the comprehension of sane people that there should be organised opposition to vaccines. A special place should be reserved in Hell for people who want to kill or maim children by preventing them from receiving vaccinations."

Are you serious that that site is going to provide any unbiased information on immunisation?
Old 23-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
TZENU
XY Driv3r

And then you have the other side of the coin.

http://www.infowars.com/vaccinations-deadly-immunity/

I would still get my child vaccinated though
Old 23-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I'm pro vaccination.

It has saved millions upon millions of lives already. It's cheap, proven insurance.

Sure there are side effects, just like everything in life.

At the risk of the side effects, I wouldn't hesitate in getting my children immunised. What they can catch or contract without it is much, much worse.
Old 23-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Im not going to bother reading any text up on it, simply because I am in favour of getting it done for the sake of society.

IMO to look at vac's from a personal perspective is selfish.

Its not as simple as that I know, Ive got two under 3, and have thought about what happens if it goes wrong. But you have to look past that.

And its not just the local gene pool you have to worry about, what happens when they go traveling etc, which they will. I would feel like crap if they contracted something through the system, but Id feel worse if I did nothing to help them.

Good luck.

So yeah, PRO Vac if you cant tell.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 23-03-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 23-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

It is estimated that Polio and Smallpox killed 500-600 million people before a vaccine was made available.
Pro Vaccination.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
Old 23-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
leighm

There is certainly something to be said about vaccination being a good thing, and it certainly can be. But I believe the schedule that is forced upon parents is wrong. If you look back 30 years to when I was immunised there were about 10 diseases on the schedule, today there are 36. That is a lot of stress on a very young body and immune system.

Recently everyone heard of the baby that died of whooping cough because they were too young to be vaccinated, but we heard less about the baby ion Brisbane that died that got the swine flu vaccine. Subsequently that vaccine was taken off the shelves by the Australian health authorities for anyone under 5 even though it had previously been approved for use.....it never underwent testing for children under 5. How was it ever approved?
Old 23-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
leighm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
It is estimated that Polio and Smallpox killed 500-600 million people before a vaccine was made available.
Pro Vaccination.
What were the hygiene conditions and medicine like in those times?
Old 23-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Swine Flu? I dont think I am even vacced for that.

Its all staged and measured dosages for the age I thought.

Question....what will you feel like when your child contracts a disease that they could have avoided?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
leighm

I will be using Homeopathy Prophpylaxis with my daughter. It is a form of immunisation of specific possibly deadly diseases. I am pro immune system building, not pro vaccination. There is a difference.

Check out work by Isaac Golden and his remedies in Homeopathy. He has conducted a 20 year long study. His methods do not inundate the body with many diseases at once in a completely unnatural method of injecting directly into the blood. Most of the immune system is in the digestion system where most diseases are caught. The administration is oral so you pass through the natural immune system.

Not for everyone, but for me I feel that is the right way to go about building immunity.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
Barry_v
rocknrolla

polio builds character.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
Kryton

Isnt this thread about OUR choices and opinions, or is it just for you to keep pushing your own opinion?
Old 23-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
leighm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Swine Flu? I dont think I am even vacced for that.

Its all staged and measured dosages for the age I thought.

Question....what will you feel like when your child contracts a disease that they could have avoided?
A vaccination does not avoid a disease, common misconception. How many people here have had the flu shot only to get the flu? It can help, but is not a guarantee in any way shape or form.

The assumption is my child will get a disease because they are unvaccinated, not true. If they did get a disease I would obviously ask the what if questions. I would also be happy that I had use homeopathy to build immune because it could have been worse.

Now to you, what if your child suffers seizures because of a needle to immmunise against diseases that have not been seen in Australia for many many years? Or far worse, incurred brain damage.

It is all a what if situation with vaccines, nothing can guarantee either way. It is a gamble either way you go.

Modern hygiene and medicine have coma a long way in cleaning up disease epidemics.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
leighm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Isnt this thread about OUR choices and opinions, or is it just for you to keep pushing your own opinion?
No, each to their own. But open to discussion, where would the fun be if no one was able to discuss.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighm
I will be using Homeopathy Prophpylaxis with my daughter. It is a form of immunisation of specific possibly deadly diseases. I am pro immune system building, not pro vaccination. There is a difference.

Check out work by Isaac Golden and his remedies in Homeopathy. He has conducted a 20 year long study. His methods do not inundate the body with many diseases at once in a completely unnatural method of injecting directly into the blood. Most of the immune system is in the digestion system where most diseases are caught. The administration is oral so you pass through the natural immune system.

Not for everyone, but for me I feel that is the right way to go about building immunity.
Forget the internet, talk to doctors.

REAL DOCTORS in you local area not media tart spin doctors......
Old 23-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #17
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
A vaccination does not avoid a disease, common misconception. How many people here have had the flu shot only to get the flu? It can help, but is not a guarantee in any way shape or form.
Flu is a bad example I think...as the flu shot is only effective for that particular strain of it...if you get a flu not long after the shot, it's a new strain...

I don't have kids so can't really comment or speculate. But if I were to have children, I'd get them vaccinated for their benefit and peace of mind for myself.

If you want to boost your kids immune system, let them go out and roll around the grass and dirt and be kids...

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #18
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Over a Billion people (if not much, much more) still live in conditions similar to 'those times'.

Those same billion plus people have hardly any access to modern medicine like we have it.

Think about it... or are your children going to live in a cotton-wool sleeping bag within a bubble for the rest of their lives?

One day in the future I would like my children to backpack through China, Russia, Mongolia, India, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Nepal, Laos and some of the other 3rd world countries I have failed to mention. Great experiences and a real eye opener to how most of the rest of the world 'live'.

After seeing what I have seen... you are playing with fire if you don't immunise. Your kids will be mixing with kids from all walks of life all around the world. As already said... they may want to travel down the track.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #19
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
The same conditions that exist in third world countries now, however, many terrible diseases do not.
What is your point?
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
Old 23-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #20
leighm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Over a Billion people (if not much, much more) still live in conditions similar to 'those times'.

Those same billion plus people have hardly any access to modern medicine like we have it.

Think about it... or are your children going to live in a cotton-wool sleeping bag within a bubble for the rest of their lives?

One day in the future I would like my children to backpack through China, Russia, Mongolia, India, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Nepal, Laos and some of the other 3rd world countries I have failed to mention. Great experiences and a real eye opener to how most of the rest of the world 'live'.

After seeing what I have seen... you are playing with fire if you don't immunise. Your kids will be mixing with kids from all walks of life all around the world. As already said... they may want to travel down the track.
And my kids can make that decision to travel or not and have a vaccine or not all by themselves when they are old enough to do that. Immunisation needle at 4 months old does not last the rest of your life....you have to get boosters.

Cotton wool hardly.

Immunisation is a very good thing to do when you plan on exposing your kids to diseases in countries like that.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #21
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Flu is a bad example I think...as the flu shot is only effective for that particular strain of it...if you get a flu not long after the shot, it's a new strain...

I don't have kids so can't really comment or speculate. But if I were to have children, I'd get them vaccinated for their benefit and peace of mind for myself.

If you want to boost your kids immune system, let them go out and roll around the grass and dirt and be kids...
After getting the flu shot last year I asked about this. From what I remember, an average of 3-5 separate strains are floating about come flu season.

The flu shot has 3 strains covered I think. It's an educated guess what strains will be around in the future and if you still get sick it just means you got a strain that was thought to not be as common as the rest.

I may be totally wrong... the nurse was hot and I had other things going through my mind while I was trying to have this 'thought provoking' conversation lol.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #22
leighm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Forget the internet, talk to doctors.

REAL DOCTORS in you local area not media tart spin doctors......
Which is what I have done and has influenced my decision.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #23
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not immunising kids is bad for society. "heard immunity" occurs where diseases dont have a chance to come back as a significant percentage of the population is immunised against it so it cant take hold.

there will always be a certain percentage of the population that cant be immunised for legitimate reasons, so having healthy kids immunised keeps the ones that cant be immunised safe from diseases.

so by not immunising a healthy kid you may be risking the lives of others less fortunate.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #24
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Be warned leighm that if you do not vaccinate your child and you go to enrol them into day/childcare YOU WILL BE REFUSED AND TURNED AWAY.

I would not like it one little bit if my child came into contact with yours knowing it hasn't been immunised.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #25
leighm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Be warned leighm that if you do not vaccinate your child and you go to enrol them into day/childcare YOU WILL BE REFUSED AND TURNED AWAY.

I would not like it one little bit if my child came into contact with yours knowing it hasn't been immunised.
No you won't. Misinformation. There is a Medicare form that you and your Dr sign. It is called discrimination.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
And my kids can make that decision to travel or not and have a vaccine or not all by themselves when they are old enough to do that. Immunisation needle at 4 months old does not last the rest of your life....you have to get boosters.

Cotton wool hardly.

Immunisation is a very good thing to do when you plan on exposing your kids to diseases in countries like that.
That's fine if they are adults. Tell me... will you pull your kids out of school if they get an enrolment from a family of African refugees?

What happens if an Indian family 'straight off the plane' puts their son / daughter in the scout group your child is a member of?

Will you restrict who your children play with?

Those kids 'from countries like that' are here and now....

Anyway, I think you have already made your decision prior to this thread and will rebut any counter argument no matter what to be honest.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #27
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
No you won't. Misinformation. There is a Medicare form that you and your Dr sign. It is called discrimination.
Crap. Prove it.

I would discriminate against you yet again knowing you won't immunise your kids.

I for one hope you live nowhere near the Gold Coast.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #28
leighm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
That's fine if they are adults. Tell me... will you pull your kids out of school if they get an enrolment from a family of African refugees?

What happens if an Indian family 'straight off the plane' puts their son / daughter in the scout group your child is a member of?

Will you restrict who your children play with?

Anyway, I think you have already made your decision prior to this thread and will rebut any counter argument no matter what to be honest.
This is not about my decision and trying to make me change my mind. I am going down a different path of immunity building against specific diseases. That is my partner's and I choice until such time my child is old enough to make the decision.

Each to their own. I get where everyone is coming from and this is a contentious issue where people like me are outweighed heavily . I get that.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #29
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

LOL @ anyone anti-vaccine
Our forefathers created and took vaccines to virtually eradicate smallpox and polio from our lives
So to repay them, you choose to be anti-vaccine?
If I was them i'd feel like i'd been spat in the face
Old 23-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #30
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

All for it. My daughter recently had her 12 month needle. When you look at what's it protects against then makes sense and wouldn't think twice.
Closed Thread