Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-03-2018, 01:57 AM   #1
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Default 20L red Jerry cans at Bunnings

I was at Bunnings today.* They had red 20L Jerry cans for $10.* Reg price $29

They look like this*

https://m.homehardware.ca/h5/m/en/r/...lg8/R-I6616254

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-03-2018, 02:33 AM   #2
lovford
Banned

Default Re: 20L red Jerry cans at Bunnings

if there plastic buy them. don't buy metal ones.
lovford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2018, 02:54 AM   #3
lovford
Banned

There slogan of find a identical item else where and we will beat it by 10% is utter fkn bull****. 90% of there stock is exclusive to Bunnings, so a comparative product is impossible to be found. Try supercheap, obarn, mitre ten, home timber and hardware, and many more before going to the company that is killing competition in the Aussie hardwear market. Repco is also good, and commonly have 40 % sales store wide. Bunnings never,ever haf specials, because we a brainwashed on everyday low prices. Its a fkn lie.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovford View Post
if there plastic buy them. don't buy metal ones.
Any particular reason for not purchasing a steel one mate?
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
Any particular reason for not purchasing a steel one mate?
Rust develops when empty then you tip it in with the fuel
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
HIPO
Al

Static electricity.......
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #7
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try and find a scepter brand one they are made in canada if you go plastic
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #8
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
Static electricity.......
Yeah I'm going to go with that reason. Jerry cans are supposed to be on the ground to ground them so I've been led to believe, but most cars have steel fuel tanks and they seem to do ok as they are never full for long. For a lawn mower that doesn't get used as often corrosion may play a part, but basic low compression engines can cop alot before they give up. Plastic to my knowledge if its fuel rated is also fine. It does break down over time, but it takes a long time.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #9
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Yeah I'm going to go with that reason. Jerry cans are supposed to be on the ground to ground them so I've been led to believe, but most cars have steel fuel tanks and they seem to do ok as they are never full for long. For a lawn mower that doesn't get used as often corrosion may play a part, but basic low compression engines can cop alot before they give up. Plastic to my knowledge if its fuel rated is also fine. It does break down over time, but it takes a long time.
Most cars have steel fuel tanks?

I wouldn’t think any modern car has a steel tank.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Gee. Woffle woffle. The post was mainly for the boys that bulk buy E85.

$10 20L plastic Jerry can with vent. Bargain

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2018, 12:04 AM   #11
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are multiple good reasons why plastic is better than metal in most applications.

The main one is safety. I watched a video demo where a metal jerry can, and a plastic one, were both sat in a puddle of fuel that was ignited. The plastic one simply melted from the point above the fuel, allowing the fire to catch on top of the fuel, and burn sedately (albeit with a lot of black sooty smoke), and while the flames did get quite large, they were cointained to an area less than that of a car.

The metal one began to vent - creating a nice flame thrower, then split, resulting in a spray of flame many times greater than the plastic one's fire, and a partial explosion, adding even more danger.

Next reason has been mentioned - rust, which is a problem with all fuels, but even more so with fuels that absorb water (alcohols - including ethanol, methanol & nitro-methane).

The only time I would use a metal can now, over a plastic, is if I was 4WDing (which I don't do) as a metal one will dent, but a plastic one can crack upon impact. Mind you, the impact to crack a plastic one could well exceed that needed to split a metal one open at the seam, so this point is debatable.

I also like the fact that a plastic can in a metal bracket doesn't rub & create metal on metal sparks.

Static is a problem with both types - hence why you have to fill them on the ground. Plastic is not immune to static - in fact it can be worse. Those old enough to remember when XDs got the first plastic tanks in an Aussie car (Holden didn't until VT) how the had to install an earthing ring around the filler neck to dissipate the static created when filling the tank.

But getting back to this - bargain. I bought a 10L plastic one for the mower fuel, and that was $15 on special a couple of years back. $10 for a 20L one is awesome value.

I also know the company in VIC who make the red plastic ones for Bunnings. They are made locally, and they employ Aussies to run the machines & assemble the caps - so you're not buying imported Chinese rubbish either.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2018, 12:41 AM   #12
lovford
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
I was at Bunnings today.* They had red 20L Jerry cans for $10.* Reg price $29

They look like this*

https://m.homehardware.ca/h5/m/en/r/...lg8/R-I6616254
The yellow plug in the middle is a bit of a pain. I bought three of those from repco, but have lost two of the yellow plugs. I now just use glad wrap to stop **** entering the tank. The yellow caps don't screw in, they just drop in.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:55 AM   #13
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There slogan of find a identical item else where and we will beat it by 10% is utter fkn bull****. 90% of there stock is exclusive to Bunnings, so a comparative product is impossible to be found. Try supercheap, obarn, mitre ten, home timber and hardware, and many more before going to the company that is killing competition in the Aussie hardwear market. Repco is also good, and commonly have 40 % sales store wide. Bunnings never,ever haf specials, because we a brainwashed on everyday low prices. Its a fkn lie.
Have they ever rejected your request? Just because you can't find an identical item, doesn't mean they won't honour it

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2018, 08:01 AM   #14
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
Have they ever rejected your request? Just because you can't find an identical item, doesn't mean they won't honour it
Have done this with a Gerni pressure washer. Bunnings have their exclusive model, which is 99% identical to the usual model with one letter in the model number being different. For example if it’s usually a Gerni XYZ123 Bunnings sell the XYZ123b.

I just told the tool section guy that another shop had it for $X and they just beat it by 10%, without even checking to confirm.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #15
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hand on heart agree.

I will include Supercheap Auto there as well but sometimes at least the sales are actual real and can save. Other times fluffy sales.

Repco and their member and roadside assistance sales are actually good.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #16
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
There are multiple good reasons why plastic is better than metal in most applications.

The main one is safety. I watched a video demo where a metal jerry can, and a plastic one, were both sat in a puddle of fuel that was ignited. The plastic one simply melted from the point above the fuel, allowing the fire to catch on top of the fuel, and burn sedately (albeit with a lot of black sooty smoke), and while the flames did get quite large, they were cointained to an area less than that of a car.

The metal one began to vent - creating a nice flame thrower, then split, resulting in a spray of flame many times greater than the plastic one's fire, and a partial explosion, adding even more danger.

Next reason has been mentioned - rust, which is a problem with all fuels, but even more so with fuels that absorb water (alcohols - including ethanol, methanol & nitro-methane).

The only time I would use a metal can now, over a plastic, is if I was 4WDing (which I don't do) as a metal one will dent, but a plastic one can crack upon impact. Mind you, the impact to crack a plastic one could well exceed that needed to split a metal one open at the seam, so this point is debatable.

I also like the fact that a plastic can in a metal bracket doesn't rub & create metal on metal sparks.

Static is a problem with both types - hence why you have to fill them on the ground. Plastic is not immune to static - in fact it can be worse. Those old enough to remember when XDs got the first plastic tanks in an Aussie car (Holden didn't until VT) how the had to install an earthing ring around the filler neck to dissipate the static created when filling the tank.

But getting back to this - bargain. I bought a 10L plastic one for the mower fuel, and that was $15 on special a couple of years back. $10 for a 20L one is awesome value.

I also know the company in VIC who make the red plastic ones for Bunnings. They are made locally, and they employ Aussies to run the machines & assemble the caps - so you're not buying imported Chinese rubbish either.
Yes static is worse in a plastic tank because it cant be dispersed with an earth lead, where you can with a steel one ....static is built up when the fuel is agitated, poured,or pumped
if your hanging on to an ignition source a non intrinsically safe phone ,torch etc your asking for trouble

most fuel hoses on bowsers have an earth wire run through them and are tested periodically

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #17
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a couple of the Canadian ones (scepter?) and find they don't seal very well unless you use brute force when tightening the cap up, other than that they're great.
They have a reversible flexible spout that sits inside the tank which you can bend over into the filler hole before up ending the can.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #18
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't care how cheap they are, I just buy the Aussie made Willow ones. They also pour much better as you can let air in at the other side.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post