Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2018, 05:14 AM   #181
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: Let's discuss diesel...

regen,, you burn a fine particle (soot) into another type of fine particle (ash)
but ash will pass threw eventually, so how long does it last,, like a cat converter if it never gets overheated 15+yrs..
then suddenly collapse,, buy such time the wreakers would be full of them.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #182
leesa

I don't mean to seem rude but you didn't answer the question. What sort of involvement with dpf-related stuff do you have that you can base your comments from? What are your skills/experience/expertise that tells you the life of a DPF is from 15+ years to limitless?

I'm just asking for you to back up what you're saying because anyone can say anything on a forum, it's nothing personal.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #183
lovford
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
What have the last 15 posts got to do with diesel cars?
Ever heard of a conversation ??? These forums demanding to keep on topic, kill it. One thing leads to another, that's life.
lovford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #184
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovford View Post
Ever heard of a conversation ??? These forums demanding to keep on topic, kill it. One thing leads to another, that's life.
Nothing wrong with getting sidetracked a bit, but the capabilities of Australia's Collins submarines have nothing to do with the subject, but could make an interesting topic on the Bar.
Old 20-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #185
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
If you want a conversation, start a conversation thread.

As far as this thread is concerned it's about diesel.
Old 20-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #186
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

This comes to mind.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #187
lovford
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
ALL of the above posts have been split out from the 2018 Ranger Raptor thread.

'cause THEY WERE NOT ON TOPIC

The question was why is the raptor going petrol and not diesel. If you ask me they are on topic, and if they weren't the thread would only be 2 posts long. What other replies would you suggest to such a simple question ????
Old 20-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #188
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
I don't mean to seem rude but you didn't answer the question. What sort of involvement with dpf-related stuff do you have that you can base your comments from? What are your skills/experience/expertise that tells you the life of a DPF is from 15+ years to limitless?

I'm just asking for you to back up what you're saying because anyone can say anything on a forum, it's nothing personal.
mechanical engineer by trade.. worked with cummins, Detroit diesel, electromotive drive, VM motori, saab, merc benz,, all diesel, oddly haven't worked with caterpillar or volvo..

PS: the life of a DPF is entirely up you the consumer!!
This user likes this post:
Old 20-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #189
lovford
Banned

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
"...and then he scooped up his beautiful princess onto his magnificent white stallion and they rode off into the sunset and lived happily ever after..."

Bugger me - I think there's a planet out there somewhere that's missing an inhabitant...
If you think in a few years time semis wont be banned from congested cities, and there cargo wont be dropped of out of town then reloaded onto greener vans.(which is exactly what I said will happen) Then don't get on a horse, just go get some drugs that may help your thankers and your delusions.
Old 20-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #190
lovford
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

We are talking about diesel.

Last edited by lovford; 20-03-2018 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Made a mistake.
Old 20-03-2018, 04:47 PM   #191
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
If you think in a few years time semis wont be banned from congested cities, and there cargo wont be dropped of out of town then reloaded onto greener vans.(which is exactly what I said will happen) Then don't get on a horse, just go get some drugs that may help your thankers and your delusions.
that may happen, but expect to pay double for your food, fuel and greens..
Old 20-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #192
prydey
Rob

Quote:
If you think in a few years time semis wont be banned from congested cities, and there cargo wont be dropped of out of town then reloaded onto greener vans.
dear me. if you really believe this will happen in australia, then you really do need stronger meds or a better shrink.

define 'a few years'??

do some simple research and maths regarding the amount of tonnage carried by diesel transport, and then work out how many 'greener' vans will be required to distribute this throughout the areas that are currently serviced by diesel haulage.

its fine to be an idealist. but idealists and reality are generally poles apart.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #193
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
We are talking about diesel.
I was referring to your comment below, where you alluded to going off topic whenever you thought fit.

Quote:
Old 20-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #194
custard

Tesla trucks. Problem solved
custard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #195
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They will just ban trucks that wont meet the latest euro standards .
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2018, 05:29 PM   #196
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
The question was why is the raptor going petrol and not diesel. If you ask me they are on topic, and if they weren't the thread would only be 2 posts long. What other replies would you suggest to such a simple question ????
I would suggest you stop arguing. You turn every thread you post in into a combat zone. Learn how to do it or go back to Whirlpool.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #197
lovford
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
dear me. if you really believe this will happen in australia, then you really do need stronger meds or a better shrink.

define 'a few years'??

do some simple research and maths regarding the amount of tonnage carried by diesel transport, and then work out how many 'greener' vans will be required to distribute this throughout the areas that are currently serviced by diesel haulage.

its fine to be an idealist. but idealists and reality are generally poles apart.
I never mentioned Australia I only said congested cities. I predict it will happen in Melbourne and Sydney in 15 years. For the most congested cities in the world I think its already happening, if not London, Tokyo, LA, Rio, Rome and about 50 cities in China and Asia its only 2 years off.
Old 20-03-2018, 07:02 PM   #198
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe steam will make a comeback as a mainstream power source?
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #199
lovford
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Would the 10 ‘green’ vans required to do the work of 1 semi be any cleaner in the end?
Yes, they will be electric. Another reason they will be banned, is there's not enough room in the city's for these mammoth 18 wheelers.
Old 20-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #200
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Yes, they will be electric
produced by renewable clean energy i hope.

Quote:
for these mammoth 18 wheelers.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #201
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just read whole thread, phew.

For my 2c the most interesting engine development seems to be going on at Mazda - the Skyactiv-X seems to be somewhere between a petrol and diesel engine. It should run on 91, has a compression up near the diesel, and can burn petrol in a compression phase at times.

A dedicated ethanol engine will also feature this higher compression and efficiency.

So what we might get (in passenger cars) is the petrol and diesel morphing into one.

Also I've noticed Tojo teaming Atkinson cycle motors with its hybrid drive - can anyone explain why these motors are a better choice? Toyota are making (some of, one of?) their DI motors have a separate injector behind the valves so these dont suffer the extreme carbonation that small turbo petrols have in recent years.

Lastly, no one mentioned gassing monkeys in a diesel thread. Think of the monkeys
Old 21-03-2018, 03:50 AM   #202
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
...Also I've noticed Tojo teaming Atkinson cycle motors with its hybrid drive - can anyone explain why these motors are a better choice?...
The idea us using an "Atkinson" cycle motor is to gain more energy per amount of fuel burned compared to the typical 4 cycle/Otto cycle engine.

This is not the same thing as "make more power".

In the mid-late 1800s James Atkinson came up with a linked connection between what would ordinarily be called a connecting rod and crankshaft.

What this intermediate linking allowed to happen was for all 4 cycles on an internal combustion reciprocating engine to happen in 1 revolution of the crankshaft instead of 2. I have never analyzed one of these so I can not say where the inherent efficiencies are in doing this.

Now let's talk a little bit about what is being called an "Atkinson" cycle engine these days. Anyone dismantling one of Toyota's "Atkinson" cycle engines will be disappointed if they are expecting to see this linked arrangement. It is not there.

What will be found is an engine (I believe in Toyota's case) claimed to be Atkinson is an arrangement the intake valves are held open a significantly longer period of time than usual. This pushes some of the fresh intake charge back into the intake track, which does 2 things from a fuel efficiency standpoint.

1. There is a reduction of pumping losses; power lost to running the internal pump, which an IC engine is.

2. The intake charged push back into the intake track contains residual spent contaminants remaining from the previous combustion. A built in EGR which primarily helps with how fuel is burned in daily driving applications.

For a technical break down of EGR principles I would have to defer to Peter (yearby).

Both methods listed above, original Atkinson cycle and today's "Atkinson" cycle, result in an overall less powerful engine, yet produce more power for amount of fuel consumed.

Unless someone can point me in another direction, what today is called an "Atkinson" cycle engine if really a Miller cycle engine. I know some may have been taught or told contrary, but Ralph Miller patented 2 Miller cycle designs.

One of these principles is at the heart of what Toyota and the world journos call an Atkinson cycle.

The other reduces cylinder pumping losses by closing the intake valve way early prior to the piston reaching bottom dead center (BDC) during the intake cycle. The cylinder never fills up, so it is easier to compress during the compression cycle. It doesn't do anything with EGR.

Again resulting in less total power, yet more power per the amount of fuel consumed.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2018, 07:01 AM   #203
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, they will be electric. Another reason they will be banned, is there's not enough room in the city's for these mammoth 18 wheelers.
trouble is if you do the sums ...most trucks carry around 30 ton payload it would take a really big van to carry 2 ton ....and thats fifteen vans to do the work of 1 truck

take a look how many trucks there are supplying the goods to a city then x15 ....it would be van grid-lock everywhere you went + 15x skilled operators for the vans or otherwise the poor cyclists would be skittled at every intersection

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #204
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think Greenies comprehend economics.

Ban this! get rid of That! Protest protest, but they never come up with a Practical viable solution
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #205
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzman View Post
trouble is if you do the sums ...most trucks carry around 30 ton payload it would take a really big van to carry 2 ton ....and thats fifteen vans to do the work of 1 truck

take a look how many trucks there are supplying the goods to a city then x15 ....it would be van grid-lock everywhere you went + 15x skilled operators for the vans or otherwise the poor cyclists would be skittled at every intersection
The same sort of idiot logic was stuffed down our throats here by council. They reconfigured the bin route to reduce usage of the garbage truck and save the environment. So now we have 100s of residents towing bins behind their utes 1-2km each instead of one truck doing the rounds. Net effect is a lot more fuel burnt. Its pretty clear what the real motive was though.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-03-2018, 12:28 PM   #206
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar4890 View Post
Maybe steam will make a comeback as a mainstream power source?
Steam turbines powered by nuclear fission are still pretty mainstream.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #207
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Yes, the load of frozen fish has been dropped at our outer depot and is currently being reloaded into our fleet of smaller greener vehicles for your convenience.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #208
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Steam turbines powered by nuclear fission are still pretty mainstream.
Yes they are now to make that package smaller and safer to be used in other things besides power generation would be the challenge.
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post