Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 24-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
AD26

Default Check engine light

Hello all, driving to work this morning the dreaded check engine light appeared although no difference in driving was noticed. The car isn't over heating, no unusual sounds, checked all the hoses when I got home, all fluid levels are where they should be.

Occasionally(usually on cold first start for the day) it seems to miss or feel like it's got a sudden drop in power then picks up again in a second and I get the rare back fire when changing first to second(at 3000ish rpm, not taking off in a hurry) but never any other gear. Could a spark plug, lead or worse, distributor cap be going or gone and would that cause the light?

I can't think of anything else to check.

Thank you

AD26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Check engine light

Can't be 100% sure but I had a similar issue with a V6 Telstar I owned which turned out to be the actual distributor itself. Assuming it's the same engine in the Cougar (pretty sure it is) the fault with the distributor is to do with the internal circuitry, it has a silicone film over it to keep moisture out but over a period of time the silicone dries out forming fine cracks, moisture gets in and starts to cause issues. Has the car ever completely died on you and you've had to wait a few minutes before it will restart ?
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
AD26

no, it runs absolutely fine(minus the missing). I babied it up to 80km/h as I have highway travel and it ran just like normal. Didn't stop at all
Old 24-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

It may just be a spark plug or lead breaking down but I don't think that would normally trigger the check engine light. You could try disconnecting the battery overnight and reconnecting in the morning and see if the light goes out, if not then having it checked for error codes would be your best option, that could save you a lot of time and money in the long run
Old 01-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
AD26

Thanks Russ, I took the battery off for a few hours and reconnected it(something I've been meaning to do since I got the exhaust/headers). The light appears for the 2 seconds as standard and disappears. No $$ solutions are the best
Old 01-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another happy ending, glad to help mate
Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
baz

This is about disconnecting the battery, about 2 years ago I changed my battery and found the car wouldn't idle, would cut out going around corners etc, then I got stuck at road works for about 5 min with engine idling after that no more cutting out,as anyone else had this happen after changing battery.
Baz
baz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
This is about disconnecting the battery, about 2 years ago I changed my battery and found the car wouldn't idle, would cut out going around corners etc, then I got stuck at road works for about 5 min with engine idling after that no more cutting out,as anyone else had this happen after changing battery.
Baz
The car will still need to be driven for several kms so the the onboard computer can readjust itself to the car, any modifications it may have (eg exhaust, high flow air filter etc...) and your driving style. It was most likely just adjusting itself after having the battery removed and replaced
Old 05-10-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
Ford Thinking
Starter Motor

Thanks for the tip about disconnecting the battery. I've had the check engine light come on for years on my Probe. It's slowly but surely driving me mad!
Ford Thinking is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
thearrow

If ever I change or disconnect my battery I take it for a long drive and that usually sorts it out.

Good to own but "High Maintenance"

2000 Model Eibach Cougar (Auto) - Now dead & buried
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post