Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Nabbed by VicRoads

So boss says "go to powdercoaters, pick up a steel staircase, meet me at this address. Its sitting on pallets because its so awkward and heavy so just fork it straight on".
In the small work truck, ends up about 1.2m past the end of the tray. Not feasable to turn it over when its only a couple km trip and risk dropping or dinging it (about 800kg). Put a flag on it and hope Im under 60% (looks wise its not too bad). Of course route goes straight past a Vicroads office and they got me. Boss comes down and immediately "why did you put it on like that?" and, Ive been with the guy for 5 years so I was pretty amazed he turned on me like that in front of them. Turns out the end of the tray is the axle overhang limit which yes, I should have measured and known, I got complacent. Anyway, anything over 1m overhang now has mandatory court appearance and this is 1.2m. Anyone know what I can expect?
Ive got a totally clean driving history if it helps.

Edit- This is being handled by the NHVR because the truck is over 4.5t gvm and Ive got a hr license.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Re: Nabbed by VicRoads

In my world, as assessment would have been made and you would have been given a warning.

But in Victoria, a cash strapped, autocratic police state, where nearly everyone is treated as a criminal. Court will be told that you have endanger the entire Galaxy (move over Thamos). You will likely get a fine and demerit points, which will impact upon your insurance rating.

If on the other hand you were wearing a veil over your face nothing would have been said.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree. Its a shame I dont smoke meth. They probably would have offered to help us install it too.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #4
.:4:.
Kicking back

The thing which I made vocal to my boss is yeah, work car, however as the driver it's my licence. I had to really drill it into a couple of guys I work with because when told to go get a 1500kg lift from kennards in their Van's which have a towing rating of only 1200kgs they can get done. I bought that up but only fighting for myself not anyone else with the boss and with a few other factors I got an upgrade to a car with 2.5t rating. If you bring up something like that your boss cant say just do it, and if they do get it in writing. So really all I'm saying is there is some personal responsibility in knowing what you can or cannot do as the driver because at the end of the day it's your license and if it's something you agreed to do in a work vehicle, you accept the liability.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
slowsnake
Banned

First of all you boss is a proper pratt!
Who took the staircase to the powder coaters initially and in what vehiçle,?
You followed your employers instructions and he should of told the inspector that,I would use that as a defence in court and your boss should pay all costs, fines etc including a solicitor.
I feel sorry for you, and you now know your boss is not loyal to his workers,but as usual you are loyal to him, typical of a greedy and selfish, self serving *****.

All the best in court,let us know how you get on!

Cheers Billy.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #6
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont forget to drop the fine on the bosses desk as you walk past.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
As someone who has a truck listed in his signature section, you should know carrying a safe load is the drivers responsibility!
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #8
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I realise that, its my stuff up. I should have said no. But I didnt. Hopefully some of the blame comes back to the business, but yes as the driver, the car/truck and anything on it is your own responsibility. Dont care about the fines, so long as no, or few points.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #9
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Thats a given.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #10
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
As someone who has a truck listed in his signature section, you should know carrying a safe load is the drivers responsibility!
Sure do and im reasonably sure jack is mature enough to understand his side.

I also understand pressure from bosses.
I note the boss didn't supply a truck big enough to do the job legally.

Catch 22.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #11
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Thats a given.
I'd be dropping my trousers on his desk and leave him a "special" message!

Billy.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
In the small work truck, ends up about 1.2m past the end of the tray.
did you load yourself or did someone load it for you? how does chain of responsibility work? I believe the person loading the truck is also responsible??

it may sound harsh, and you probably felt stupid as soon as you got done, but the 'she'll be right, its just up the road' attitude is still too prevalent in my view. you see a lot worse than exceeding overhang by 200mm most days of the week.

I guess you made their job easy for them by driving past their office.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 09:18 PM   #13
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just need to watch people leaving Bunnings carpark!

I’m guilty of this myself. But how else do you get 6m lengths of timber home from Bunnings without an overhang when all you have is roof racks or a 7 foot trailer haha
Old 03-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #14
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
did you load yourself or did someone load it for you? how does chain of responsibility work? I believe the person loading the truck is also responsible??

it may sound harsh, and you probably felt stupid as soon as you got done, but the 'she'll be right, its just up the road' attitude is still too prevalent in my view. you see a lot worse than exceeding overhang by 200mm most days of the week.

I guess you made their job easy for them by driving past their office.
Yeah I dunno if the she'll be right attitude applies to an oversight. I've been guilty of the she'll be right before knowingly overloading vans and making a trip. Riding on bump stops is a tad harsh. On something like what the OP is blowing up about the first offence should be a warning if things are fair, but who knows. I'm guessing trucks have different rules to cars. Dunno about Victoria, but in nsw last time I checked for a car it was 1200mm past the rear with a flag. I haven't had to check in years because the longest things I put on my roof are 6m and my current work ute is over a metre longer then my old van.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-08-2018, 11:06 PM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Chain of responsibility says that once you accept the load you are then responsible for the ability of the vehicle carrying it and the way it is loaded and restrained in most cases.
An important part of the transport industry, however, quite often exploited by employers who use it to pass the buck when **** goes south.

The old, do it like this, until something goes wrong at which point it becomes, why didnt you use your initiative.

I had a situation where i questioned a forkie at our depot about how he loaded some pallets, when i got back after my run i was grilled by the warehouse manager for daring to question her forkies expertise.
A few weeks later he put a pallet of grog on one side of my tray by itself and went on to his next load. I angled it and strapped it but i knew it wouldn't stand up for long as the pressures applied werent equal due to being offset.
Anyway the load fell over, not hard as it was well wrapped but it ended up leaning on the curtain without any breakage.
I repacked it when i got to the drop and all was good but when i got back to the depot i explained what had happened to the manager who went off because apparently i shouldnt have accepted the load as it was put on, i should have had a stack of empty pallets put next to it, which is true, however, i was like, but you said not to question your forkies expertise, doesnt matter she said, COR says your responsible
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 11:24 PM   #16
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Chain of responsibility says that once you accept the load you are then responsible for the ability of the vehicle carrying it and the way it is loaded and restrained in most cases.
An important part of the transport industry, however, quite often exploited by employers who use it to pass the buck when **** goes south.

The old, do it like this, until something goes wrong at which point it becomes, why didnt you use your initiative.

I had a situation where i questioned a forkie at our depot about how he loaded some pallets, when i got back after my run i was grilled by the warehouse manager for daring to question her forkies expertise.
A few weeks later he put a pallet of grog on one side of my tray by itself and went on to his next load. I angled it and strapped it but i knew it wouldn't stand up for long as the pressures applied werent equal due to being offset.
Anyway the load fell over, not hard as it was well wrapped but it ended up leaning on the curtain without any breakage.
I repacked it when i got to the drop and all was good but when i got back to the depot i explained what had happened to the manager who went off because apparently i shouldnt have accepted the load as it was put on, i should have had a stack of empty pallets put next to it, which is true, however, i was like, but you said not to question your forkies expertise, doesnt matter she said, COR says your responsible
‘Her’. Enough said.
4 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #17
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Yep, 4.5T and over, driver responsible, can't go shifting the blame to anyone else.
Go to court and argue your case otherwise.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #18
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yep, 4.5T and over, driver responsible, can't go shifting the blame to anyone else.
Go to court and argue your case otherwise.
But COR says they are all responsible if the conduct causes injury/death-
Truck driver
Truck owner
Fork lift driver
Fork lift supervisor
Warehouse owner
Etc
Etc
I got out of running a warehouse just after all this crap came in.

We just had a WHS audit, and my current boss puts it this way, as a director, if a staff member is injured/killed on duty, he is deemed guilty until he proves he is innocent.This is why we need to spend a day being tought how to correctly climb a ladder.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 04-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #19
roKWiz
Cabover nut

No one was killed or injured and the easiest one to prosecute is the driver.
COR, Next they will be fining the guy who built the stairway because it was to big !

Last edited by roKWiz; 04-08-2018 at 03:02 PM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #20
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With a clean record you should be able to get a 6 month good behavioral .

just be aware you can get in a whole lot deeper getting caught for anything in that 6 months
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #21
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
But COR says they are all responsible if the conduct causes injury/death-
Truck driver
Truck owner
Fork lift driver
Fork lift supervisor
Warehouse owner
Etc
Etc
I got out of running a warehouse just after all this crap came in.

We just had a WHS audit, and my current boss puts it this way, as a director, if a staff member is injured/killed on duty, he is deemed guilty until he proves he is innocent.This is why we need to spend a day being tought how to correctly climb a ladder.
It's called Vicarious Liability and applies to all employers in Australia for any acts or omissions by employees.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #22
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Lol, nothing to see here...

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...4acc47a6a1db6f
Old 08-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #23
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
‘Her’. Enough said.
Really? Did you notice the offender was a male but your suggesting that somebody doing their job is the problem? It's the 'tough guy she'll be right bravo bs' that is responsible for thousands of workplace related deaths every year. To the OP, go to court, explain the importance of your job, that you've been there for 5 years and your driving record. I would be surprised if you got a fine.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #24
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Obviously someone from hackam made the police force
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #25
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Really? Did you notice the offender was a male but your suggesting that somebody doing their job is the problem? It's the 'tough guy she'll be right bravo bs' that is responsible for thousands of workplace related deaths every year. To the OP, go to court, explain the importance of your job, that you've been there for 5 years and your driving record. I would be surprised if you got a fine.
Did you not read his reply and the events which happened?

I just note that females working in a male dominant industry always have something to prove. And I actually understand it can be difficult for them to be a female supervisor to a majority male workforce.

But what tends to happen is that if they show signs of weakness or being ‘soft’ the men won’t take her serious, so quite often they over compensate.

I work in a 95% male industry myself, and we have a few females in positions of power and they do tend to work harder to establish their leadership.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:57 AM   #26
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Did you not read his reply and the events which happened?

I just note that females working in a male dominant industry always have something to prove. And I actually understand it can be difficult for them to be a female supervisor to a majority male workforce.

But what tends to happen is that if they show signs of weakness or being ‘soft’ the men won’t take her serious, so quite often they over compensate.

I work in a 95% male industry myself, and we have a few females in positions of power and they do tend to work harder to establish their leadership.
I read the post. It is the inference that a woman is the issue that I am pointing out, that is all. The reason 'women have to work harder' is because of these types of assumptions. It's not the 1950's anymore.

Last edited by au350hp; 10-08-2018 at 06:04 AM.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #27
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
I read the post. It is the inference that a woman is the issue that I am pointing out, that is all. The reason 'women have to work harder' is because of these types of assumptions. It's not the 1950's anymore.
Trust me, she was an ******** and ironically enough ended up losing her position to the above mentioned forkie whom she fiercely defended.
When she bagen her rise up the ladder the company was one of if not the biggest in the state, when she was sent packing it was on the verge of a takeover, she burned so many customers she couldnt buy a contract im told.

Karma i say
Old 10-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #28
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I also work in a majority male industry, there is one female supervisor at work and tbh she is great. Having said that, when I worked in a majority female industry, the female supervisors were worse than satan.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #29
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow. You need to chill out.
Is aunt flow in town?
Jesus..

Last edited by GasoLane; 12-08-2018 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
Old 12-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #30
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Wow. You need to chill out.
Is aunt flow in town?
Jesus..
she has a point though. the last 2 sentences that is.