Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Keep an eye on your rego authority

Just wondering whether this has happened to anyone else here.

Yesterday I received my Vicroads rego for my panel van (first full year since it was bought) and was shocked that it was $130 dearer than my trucks.
Looking over the details I found the description (shape) had been changed from van to wagon and it had an extra digit in the number plate since last year. I dropped by a rego office and showed them the paper work......'Oh that's normal" the counter staff explained and try to fob me off so I insisted they look up the explanation of body shape and number of doors and how its basically a ute with the back filled in. ie commercial vehicle.
The staff member took one look out the door and spotted the car and said Oh yeah that's a van, yes it was $130 cheaper when I walked out the door.

Lesson learnt...... check your rego paperwork when you receive it in the mail and question it if it doesn't match.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Keep an eye on your rego authority

i stopped registering my soft top vitara when it jumped $400 a year just for greenslip in NSW, went from $400pa to $800pa as it was classed as a ute
i complained but i got the "you can't change vehicle type" although my mech said he can change it if i get a blueslip but i ended up selling it
a 1100kg car was $1200 a year to keep on the road when my 2200kg V8 adventra was $900
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Just wondering whether this has happened to anyone else here.

Yesterday I received my Vicroads rego for my panel van (first full year since it was bought) and was shocked that it was $130 dearer than my trucks.
Looking over the details I found the description (shape) had been changed from van to wagon and it had an extra digit in the number plate since last year. I dropped by a rego office and showed them the paper work......'Oh that's normal" the counter staff explained and try to fob me off so I insisted they look up the explanation of body shape and number of doors and how its basically a ute with the back filled in. ie commercial vehicle.
The staff member took one look out the door and spotted the car and said Oh yeah that's a van, yes it was $130 cheaper when I walked out the door.

Lesson learnt...... check your rego paperwork when you receive it in the mail and question it if it doesn't match.
I can't comprehend why they think they need to "adjust" this stuff for something which is existing registration??
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Gotta love how they just treat your money like it's a number on a screen. Push a button and your bill changes by $130 one way or the other... does my head in.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #5
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A little off topic, but my NSW Greenslip came around again so I rang up & asked if there is any possibility of a discount and received a $119 discount. I doubt they would have mentioned that if I didn't ask.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #6
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I could be totally wrong here but I was under the impression that in NSW at least, that rego is more expensive for commercial vehicles, meaning utes and vans cost more than sedans.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's a link to Roads & Maritime NSW. It is a minefield.
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/regi...ion-costs.html
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I could be totally wrong here but I was under the impression that in NSW at least, that rego is more expensive for commercial vehicles, meaning utes and vans cost more than sedans.
Not that I remember it.

It comes under a weight range ... my utes (even though Commericial) ... were the same as Falcon sedans and Territory.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #9
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My XR8 ute rego costs more than my other cars (inc V8s)
I'm in SA
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #10
pcman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here's a good one for anyone in vic with a club permit vehicle, if you move house and change your address online the address on the club permit vehicle does not change, luckily friends still ive at my old address and informed me my renewal was there for me
pcman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #11
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Not that I remember it.

It comes under a weight range ... my utes (even though Commericial) ... were the same as Falcon sedans and Territory.
It’s possible I’m thinking of greenslip then. I am fairly certain the greenslip costs more.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2018, 07:28 AM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
It’s possible I’m thinking of greenslip then. I am fairly certain the greenslip costs more.
Yes it does for sure.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2018, 07:32 AM   #13
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I find it funny that in Victoria my smaller trucks, being bang on 4.5T GVM are priced based on the number of occupants (3 seats) and the panel van 2.23 GVM is the same amount based on it being a 3 seater as well.
Apart from the country and city rate the rego system for 4.5T and under here is very simple, the more seats your vehicle has the dearer the TAC insurance charge is.
At around $550 per year each, I can register 4 vehicles here for the price of one truck in NSW where I will usually buy them.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post