Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 05-10-2019, 01:58 AM   #1
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Exclamation MB Hatch Centre High Brake Light - segment blown

The missus backs the vehicle out of the garage and I spot the middle segment of the Centre Brake light on the boot has gone out, two segments either side of it are working but it looks a bit low rent with the middle out. So today I go and investigate.

Of all my documents on the Mondeo I remember finding a 'how to remove the rear hatch trim' first and do you think I went to go look for it....Nup lol

It's as simple as it gets two phillips screws inside the grab handles and then you rip it off the hatch as the clips finally give out and break free.

Through one of the openings you can see the backside of the light assembly and disconnect the harness connection to it.

Next you'll see two of the lower silver clips at either end of the light assembly, you need to pinch inwards both lower and top side of those clips to push that side of the light outwards of it's hole. When that is done pinch the other end and push the light out completely.

Now go to a bench and have a look it. Surprisingly it's not an LED arrangement, there are 5 W5W bulbs and my middle one has blown. To separate the red lens from the reflector to access the bulbs you need to look at the silver clips again.

This time you're looking at the other end of them and how it has a little tongue that bends back around (from between the housing and red lens) and clamps to the red lens portion. I used a small jewellers flat blade and raised that tongue a little to release the red lens on all 4 clips and it slides apart. No need to completely remove it, the red lens stops about 2.5cm which is enough to pinch each bulb and remove them.

I figure I've had my monies worth out of them so I replace them all (3pks of two W5W bulbs) that leaves spares for whenever...

Slide the red lens back down,bend that tongue bit back over and you're done.

Push the brake light assembly back into the hole, connect the harness and test it using a gorgeous assistant.

Snap in the trim piece and fix it down with the screw in each grab handle and you're done.

Sorry for the no photos, it really is that easy and only took minutes to do. End result is a fresh bright looking brake light (all the way across).

Last edited by cobrin; 05-10-2019 at 02:09 AM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2019, 06:40 AM   #2
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: MB Hatch Centre High Brake Light - segment blown

Thanks, just don't use Narva bulbs otherwise you'll be back there in a year's time.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #3
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

lol nargh.....worse....SCA (whom ever makes those for them) so I may be back earlier than expected. $12 fix seemed okay in the end.

I've been down the nava bulb route, it sent me back to the beginning. ~$75 H7 Nava Intense that one lasted only 2 and a bit years. I replaced the OE bulbs when I bought the car for whiter bulbs thinking it'd give me a long run. Well it didn't and you'd look stupid having a yellow and white setup, so the working one went into the bin and the originals came back out. They lasted another 12mths or so and I figured if the $$$ didn't last then bugger it cheap ones will do, Repco $12 nothing specials went in and haven't touched them since. (still are made by Philips)
Old 09-10-2019, 05:59 AM   #4
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I usually run the headlights on all the time and am quite happy with 2 years from a high output bulb. Philips seem to last longer than Osram.

I've bought a few Repco bulbs on special because you can see the bulb code through the packaging and look it up before you buy.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #5
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Ohh I meant Repco not SCA, Repco seem to have better sales on light bulbs. I'm happy to keep using Repco's packaged bulbs, I were chasing white colours and crap like that till one blows relatively short lived life. I don't use auto lights settings couldn't be bothered with that feature.