Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Default 3V V8 dead?

From the Drive.com.au site tonight

quote:
" Glenn Butler, drive.com.au, 13/08/07

A Ford engine plant closure in Canada has forced Ford Australia to end production of the V8-powered Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane and LTD, reports GLENN BUTLER.

Ford Fairlane G8

Ford Australia has announced it will no longer offer a V8 engine option in any locally built sedans, wagons or utes outside its sports-oriented XR range.

The decision to drop the three-valve 5.4-litre V8 engine from the Fairmont Ghia, the Fairlane G220/G8 and the LTD was not a hard one, says Ford boss Tom Gorman.

"We were selling 10 a month. We're not talking big numbers here."

Ford has referred to this engine as the Barra 220 and the Barra 230 in recent years.

The move to drop V8-powered Falcons will no doubt have some Ford fans on edge, given the negative publicity Ford endured throughout much of the 1980s by not offering a V8 across its range.

However, Ford points out that this time around the V8 shake-up is very different, because it will still offer some V8s on its sports-oriented models.

The four-valve 5.4-litre engine offered in the XR8 is not affected. It makes the Falcon XR8 sedan and ute the only V8 models in Ford's entire line-up. FPV models are not affected.

Ford Australia's hand was forced by the closure of Ford's Essex engine plant in Windsor where the three-valve 5.4-litre V8 was produced. Gorman says Ford Australia has stockpiled the engine to ensure it has enough to meet demand up until the arrival or Orion in the first-quarter of 2008. "

xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe if the Barra 220/230 actually put out more power then the XR6T then more then 10 per month would have been sold. When the stock "base" Holden V8 is 270kw what exactly does Ford expect....it should have been at least at the power output of the turbo or slightly higher to have been competitive.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #3
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By the sounds of it Ford Aus have stockpiled enough parts for the Boss 260 and 290 to continue, but I guess this also means that Orion will introduce a new V8 - probably the 6.2L Boss edition coming out in 2008.

This is also bad news for the Australian assembly of a v8 going forward.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Pardon my ignorance but don't theBoss and 3V use the same bottom end? Thus reinforcing what has been said ^^^^ .
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 12:48 AM   #5
shaq32
03 GHIA V8

Last time i looked, Yes
shaq32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The 3V was always gonna be dropped. This descision was made long before the announcement of the closure of the engine plant.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Why did they bother with it? It was useless in the first place! /rolls eyes
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Look at the amount of Berlinas, Calais and Statesmen / Caprices Holdens sell with the V8. Id take a guess that atleast 50% of Calais and Caprice models have the V8 fitted...

Ford needs to sort itself soon...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6

I'd place it on the fact that they needed a motor for these models so this one would do the job. Bringng in a motor already designed and all the engineers need to do is to get it to run in the car is alot cheaper then designing the motor from scratch like how the BOSS motors were done.
Old 14-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #10
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6

Mine isnt useless mate,maybe in stock form they are lack lustre but things liven up a fair bit with mods.

A stock xr8 or gt feel fairly "useless" compared to my 3V.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD3V
Mine isnt useless mate,maybe in stock form they are lack lustre but things liven up a fair bit with mods.

someones a little touchy on the subject,
not that many people buy cars just to mod and even then modded vs modded the 3V is behind, sad to see it go but fair point it didnt sell and didnt have what it took against the rivals, plus side tho it may make the previous base falcons with v8's hold their value a little better?

im worried about there being no v8 option on the fairmont/ghia's!

BF ghia v8 :sm_drool:
JAYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #12
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBA
not that many people buy cars just to mod and even then modded vs modded the 3V is behind, sad to see it go but fair point it didnt sell and didnt have what it took against the rivals, plus side tho it may make the previous base falcons with v8's hold their value a little better?

Yeah, it's a sad day for lovers of Ford V8's with good low down grunt on a tight budget. Hopefully Ford will endow the Orion V8's with a more even spread across the rev range. But, I didn't make sense comercially to keep it, selling 10 a month. Oh well.

I wouldn't go hoping for better resale on 3Vs because of it though. It's not like base model V8 AUs are earning good money nowadays compared to their XR8 bretheren.

And I was offered a paultry $2000 trade in on my modded 5 litre EF Gli when I bought my BA. Suffice to say I didn't trade it in.

Maybe there will be a turbo Fairmont Ghia to replace the 3V :sm_drool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Look at the amount of Berlinas, Calais and Statesmen / Caprices Holdens sell with the V8. Id take a guess that atleast 50% of Calais and Caprice models have the V8 fitted...
Thats because Holden's V6 sucks! I'm pretty sure that 50% of Commodore variants sold to private customers are V8. Although gotta say I wouldn't turn down a new 6 litre Calais V. Very nice looking car.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx

Last edited by Powdered Toast Man; 14-08-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Hold on isn't the BOSS just a 3 valve with a DOHC top end on it??

So are they still making 5.4L Modular in America???

I'm pretty sure the only other Modular plant is the Romeo, Michigan one but I think that makes 4.6L for the Mustang and Crown Victoria.

Isn't Ford NA's entire SUV and Pickup range based on the 3 valve V8??

Does this mean the Windsor plant is being retooled????
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #14
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Also, does this mean that in 20 years time, people will be clamouring all over themselves to get a late 2007 V8 Falcon, Fairmont, Fairlane and LTD?????

Read - August 1982 XE Fairmont?? last of the V8 Falcons? hmmm, I think not!
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #15
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

No we still have the BOSS so it wont really go up in value.

It's like people clammering to get the Cleveland 302 powred XY's........not going to happen.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #16
falzoony
Rockin '67

The 3V V8 isn't dead.....it's just resting.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #17
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:

How was that touchy? Im just stating the facts,I did say they are fairly poor in stock form,but in my opinion so are gt's and xr8's.

Arnt you considering buying a 3V ghia?

And you did start a thread about modding 3V's in the ACE section last week.
Old 14-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #18
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How was that touchy? Im just stating the facts,I did say they are fairly poor in stock form,but in my opinion so are gt's and xr8's.

Arnt you considering buying a 3V ghia?

And you did start a thread about modding 3V's in the ACE section last week.
just seems as soon as anyone has anything to say about a 3V that ISNT talking them up there is a defensive quote straight after stating how 'modded they are great' and throwing times around and that a modded one can beat an unmodded boss

Stating facts are great and the fact is the 3V doesnt cut it.
records, figures and sales prove this.

yes am considering buying a 3V ghia(mainly for luxury and presence) but that doesnt make them any better performance wise in comparison to a ls1/2 or boss. they are still numero 2.
Old 14-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #19
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
just seems as soon as anyone has anything to say about a 3V that ISNT talking them up there is a defensive quote straight after stating how 'modded they are great' and throwing times around and that a modded one can beat an unmodded boss

Stating facts are great and the fact is the 3V doesnt cut it.
records, figures and sales prove this.

yes am considering buying a 3V ghia(mainly for luxury and presence) but that doesnt make them any better performance wise in comparison to a ls1/2 or boss. they are still numero 2.

Where in this thread did i compare a 3V to a ls1/ls2 or a boss????
I merely said all three cars (3v's,gt's,xr8's) when stock arnt that impressive.

The bloke I was refering to said 3V's were useless,in my opinion they are not.

I wouldnt go wasting your money on a 3V if your opinion of them is so low.
Old 14-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Maybe there will be a turbo Fairmont Ghia to replace the 3V :sm_drool:
If you want one, start saving now.
Old 14-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #21
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well at least changing the spark plugs will be easier. The 3v's have gotta be on of the most difficult to change. A mate with a 3v Mont cracked 2 getting em out.

I dont think it will be missed, maybe the just wanted the 290 and 260 quad cammers to be a little bit more exclusive (to justify the higher price) ???

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #22
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Boys easy on the 3v 5.4ltr bagging(YEP IVE GOT ONE),have you guys driven the boss and 3v back to back?You cant tell me the 3v hasn't got more balls down low,Poor in stock form compared to what?,You say its a waste of time,the 4.6/5.4ltr engines are the ducks nuts in the states,and powers the biggest selling commercials in the worlds largest market ,cant be too bad eh !,where do you get your sales figures from?

Food for thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #23
EDXR65SPEED

With what I have experienced, I have found that a 3v 5 speed compared to a 4v 4speed auto, the 3v has much better performance and low down torque.
But maybe thats just me...
I think the 3v is a smoother engine.
EDXR65SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #24
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vctxr6ute
Boys easy on the 3v 5.4ltr bagging(YEP IVE GOT ONE),have you guys driven the boss and 3v back to back?You cant tell me the 3v hasn't got more balls down low,Poor in stock form compared to what?,You say its a waste of time,the 4.6/5.4ltr engines are the ducks nuts in the states,and powers the biggest selling commercials in the worlds largest market ,cant be too bad eh !,where do you get your sales figures from?

Food for thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes have driven 3v auto back to back against a boss auto
better low down response yes worth comparing no.
the 3v would gets left like its standing still once the tacho passes
3000rpm.
Old 15-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #25
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

It will be sad to se the 3V go, but hey, if it is replaced with something better then who cares,sounds as if all the modular motors will be gone by 2010 anyway,in the end the 4V modulars will have only survived two more years then the 3V.

Pushrods here we come.
Old 15-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #26
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Quote:

I havent been in a 3V but i have heard this car at a service station in Adelaide and i havent heard to many Boss engines sound as tough as this one.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #27
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
yes have driven 3v auto back to back against a boss auto
better low down response yes worth comparing no.
the 3v would gets left like its standing still once the tacho passes
3000rpm.
And how often around town do you drive above 3000rpm??? Unless your one of those guys that likes to keep it in second....

I'm not saying that a Boss or a late model LS1 won't blow my 3V away, 'cause it will. And if I had the money to buy a GT I would (dunno about an XR8. Not bagging them, just that I dont know if it's enough of a step up). But for my driving style in everyday driving conditions the 3V is a great drive. Plus I'm a sucker for a plain jane base model Falcon powered by a V8. My last car was a 5 litre EF Gli lol.

Just on a side note, I took a work mate for a spin in my BA on the test drive before I bought it. So it was bog stock, 4spd auto with a tight 6000kms on the clock. He said it has more go than his 4spd auto GenIII VT SS with a cat back exhaust. So apples against apples they aren't that bad an engine. And once I had the exhaust done it unlocked a crap load more low and mid range poke. Still doesn't go really hard up top though.

Anyway, this isn't what this threads about. It's not a Boss vs 3V pi$$ing contest..

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #28
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked67
I havent been in a 3V but i have heard this car at a service station in Adelaide and i havent heard to many Boss engines sound as tough as this one.

Cheers mate, I can thank Craig@ACE for getting the exhaust custom built by Di Fillipo.
Old 15-08-2007, 07:02 PM   #29
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
And how often around town do you drive above 3000rpm??? Unless your one of those guys that likes to keep it in second....

I'm not saying that a Boss or a late model LS1 won't blow my 3V away, 'cause it will. And if I had the money to buy a GT I would (dunno about an XR8. Not bagging them, just that I dont know if it's enough of a step up). But for my driving style in everyday driving conditions the 3V is a great drive. Plus I'm a sucker for a plain jane base model Falcon powered by a V8. My last car was a 5 litre EF Gli lol.

Just on a side note, I took a work mate for a spin in my BA on the test drive before I bought it. So it was bog stock, 4spd auto with a tight 6000kms on the clock. He said it has more go than his 4spd auto GenIII VT SS with a cat back exhaust. So apples against apples they aren't that bad an engine. And once I had the exhaust done it unlocked a crap load more low and mid range poke. Still doesn't go really hard up top though.

Anyway, this isn't what this threads about. It's not a Boss vs 3V pi$$ing contest..

JAYBA doesnt seem to think much of the old 3V, but for some reason he wants to buy one???????????
Old 12-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #30
lukep

ford3v i have an xt 3v and when looking to get a set of headers put on an exhaust shop told me that he put some on a boss and put it on a dyno before and after and it made 2kw and when my car was stock i was all over a 255 ls1.ive got a flash tuner and a cai from a.c.e since then and what a difference induction sounds awsome.soon to have defilippo headers and cats cant wait.
lukep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post