Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #61
pejamas
VENMXR - 2003 BA XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart

So please accept your punishment, and drive according to the rules from now on on our public roads, and stop being a bogan.
Did you even read my post/reply's? Pretty sure i said i had them on because ( in my opinion ) having them on INCREASED visibility in the heavy rain. how does that make me a bogan? I all ready said ill cop the fine, but i still think they should be worrying about more important things than bloody standard fitted fog lights, also believe the cop was a bit of a ( he seemed like one of those all high and mighty types) since the female cop said it was harsh!

I also had no bloody idea that this new law was passed, if it was made more public say a letter from Vicroads that would have been nice!
Old 24-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #62
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Personally i don't have a problem with people driving around with them on though, i've never been 'dazzled' by them.
Agreed. Even on Commodores and every other mug's car that has 4 lights on at once. It doesn't bother me at all... xenons on the other hand.

They are classed as fog lights in the owner's manual on all BA/F models, had a look at it the last time this was bought up on here.

Like I've stated a million times on here before, until I get done for it, I will drive around with them on.

*waits for Keepleft*
Old 24-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #63
Ozzyiceman
Formula F6 - Hmmmm!

Current Road Rules for Vic - Part 13, Division "Lights on Vehicles" states:-

RULE 219 - Lights not to be used to dazzle other road users

A driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or in the driver's vehicle to dazzle, or a way that is likely to dazzle, another road user.

Penality: 3 Penality Units

There you have it - no dazzling permitted by law in Vic!!!
'02 Explorer - V6 - Mineral Grey
One Day! '69 RoadRunner or '71 Plymouth Cuda or '66 Pontiac GTO
Too much horsepower is just about enough." - Carroll Shelby
Old 24-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #64
gozza

wow - i feel like we are going to be alright in the future - with all these pillars of society we have, there is no way society will ever crumble

If you felt having the fog lights would assist in keeping you on the road then so be it

Im sure id rather be slightly annoyed by a fog light than having a car plow into me - I can't even recall being annoyed by a fog light

its the Urban 4wd posers with HID kits that blind me
Old 24-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #65
WAR40T
EL GHIA LIFE

lets all just drive around with no lights then, that wont be "dazzling" people in the eyes. The law in NSW is foglights only to be used in "adverse" conditions, that seems to be a grey area to me, could mean anything. why not state only to be used in fog......Quite frankly a hot piece of *** at a bus stop or walking on the footpath is more likely to "dazzle" me in the eyes (plus elsewhere) than someone with fog lights on.

HERITAGE GREEN EL GHIA, ROH MODENA WHEELS, /////ALPINE AUDIO, PEDDERS XA COILOVER'S
Old 24-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #66
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejamas
Well last night after a very long day at Heathcote drags and even longer drive home, i got pulled over at a boos bus @ the hoppers crossing exit, as i was being breath tested another cop walked up to me and asked why i had my fog lights on, i explained ( calmly and nicely ) that i was driving through some bad rain just past Kilmore and towards the city on my way home from Heathcote. Asks for my license, walked towards the bus and came back and handed me a $110 fine.

Is this absolutely stupid or what? There not bright or distracting in my opinion, I've had many many BA/BF's with fog lights on behind me and they don't distract me nor are they too "bright" as the cop informed me.. those damn halogen lights are more annoying!

Just another Victorian Police revenue raiser?

Mate, you've had the misfortune to come across a bastard copper in need of more bench marking points.

I know quite a few police, and consider them all to be my friends, and they DO NOT book people for stuff like this........... they warn people about the illegality............

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 24-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #67
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

ADR13 defines a Fog Lamp thus:

2.7.18. "Front for lamp" means the lamp used to improve the illumination of the
road in case of fog, snowfall, rainstorms or dust-clouds;

This definition is reaffirmed in the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations (1997-2007) as amended.

For those who wish to read the full ADR applicable (ADR50) there is a copy in the Technical area - it goes into some extensive detail about how they are to be placed, the spread of illumination and the type of reflector to be used. They make terribly boring reading.

The Australian Road Rules (2007) further defines the requirements for their use as thus:

217 Using fog lights

(1) The driver of a vehicle fitted with front fog lights or rear fog lights must not operate the fog light unless the driver is driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility.
Offence provision.

(2) In this rule:
front fog light means a light (other than a headlight) fitted to the front of a vehicle to improve illumination of the road in fog, snowfall, heavy rain or dust clouds.

Note that these are not yet mandatory for adoption in all States although it is the intention of the NCOP process to provide for uniform regulation across all States.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 24-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #68
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont understand why we cant just use the standard "fog lights" to improve safety and lighting while at night. foglights are usually well directed at the road and provide a good sweep into the gutter and sidewalk regions of the road. very good in bushy area's and you'd like to avoid fallen sticks, trees and animals..
Old 24-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #69
Ringo
I see you....

This topic has been done to death...I think we all now agree that they are illegal regardless of our opinon of 'for' or 'against'.

Pajamas they were harsh in slapping you with a fine instead of a warning but you were in a booze bus which are manned by recruits and supervised by 'old hands'.

Do you suspect as I do that whomever gave you the fine was working 'by the book' by way of example in front of these recruits?

That or else the copper could just have been enjoying ruining your day....some cops are like that...especially TOG
Old 24-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #70
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001
They arent fog lights, they are "Driving" lights on our falcons.. Its in our manuals somehwere.. And there is no distracting proper rear fog light thing like on many 4wds on falcons or commodores.. Yes just revenue raising, I really dont see the point in having them on cars if as soon as we use them we can get a fine for it.. make them legal somehow!
They are fog lights no matter what some twonk at ford claims , and are illegal so cop it sweet and try not to do it again .Although if you find them painted black gimmie a wave .
Old 24-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #71
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

Not sure about everyone else but I also use my lights to be seen by other road users aswell. I always have my lights on when I am on country roads, whether its day time, night time, foggy, sunny, raining, whatever. If something can be helped to be seen, like lights, I use it. Just my 2c.....

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Old 24-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #72
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Although if you find them painted black gimmie a wave .
I'll give you a pat on the back, not sure about some others here though. Don't think I would go as far as to damage someones car to make a point though.

Hopefully word will spread about it being illegal and we will see a few less foggies switched on in broad daylight.

I'm sure I've seen some of the names in this thread that are "pro fog" pop in threads bagging ricers. . . Ahh, nevermind.

Dave.
Old 24-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #73
T1TS50#04
XR 67 IS HEAVEN

What i dont understand is i have a TS and they are driving lights but however the globes are only 55 whats, which as the BA and BF have the same how can they deem them illegal .they may as well fine us for having our lights on..... :
Old 24-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #74
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure if it's been said but the lights on the B series are not classed as fog loghts by law, they are some sort of driving light.

If you do a search will will find a specific post by keep left in relation to the lights used in the B series, and as such due to the code/type of light it would seem impossible for you to be fined for fog lights on when they are not fog lights.
Old 24-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #75
WAR40T
EL GHIA LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Not sure if it's been said but the lights on the B series are not classed as fog loghts by law, they are some sort of driving light.

If you do a search will will find a specific post by keep left in relation to the lights used in the B series, and as such due to the code/type of light it would seem impossible for you to be fined for fog lights on when they are not fog lights.
if the case B-series XR/GT owners need to find this and keep a copy in the glove at all times

HERITAGE GREEN EL GHIA, ROH MODENA WHEELS, /////ALPINE AUDIO, PEDDERS XA COILOVER'S
Old 24-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #76
pejamas
VENMXR - 2003 BA XR6

so should i listen to all the " your stupid, take the fine, u did the wrong thing " comments, or should i fight it?
Old 24-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #77
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Think about it, it's nearly the end of the financial year. They wanna rack up as much money as possible before the end of this financial year. The police are literally everywhere booking people.
Old 24-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #78
T1TS50#04
XR 67 IS HEAVEN

If you did fight the fine and loose it will cost you more then 110, but however if you won the law would have to be scraped.
Old 24-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #79
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Quote:
When the rain is that bad that i have whippers on full blast and still cant see? don't really see how that's "stupid" to have the lights on so i can see somewhat better. I don't see how my opinion is worth squat and yours is though..

Edit: Actually even the lady cop that breath tested me said it was a bit harsh after he walked off?

Ill take the fine and cop it on the chin, just think in the circumstances its a bit harsh.

Why not turn them off when the rain stopped???? My tip is they were on long before you hit the rain( like when you first started it) Good on them i say.
Old 24-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #80
hot_mini
Starter Motor

friend of a friend got hit with a fine for drivin with "fog" lights on. went down to ford and got a letter saying his falcon had driving lights and not fog lights and the fine was withdrawn. make of it what u will
Old 24-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #81
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAR54L
if the case B-series XR/GT owners need to find this and keep a copy in the glove at all times
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ghlight=lights

happy reading, looks like you will need to check the code on the lights for final clarification.
Old 24-06-2008, 07:50 PM   #82
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
so should i listen to all the " your stupid, take the fine, u did the wrong thing " comments, or should i fight it?
Do what you feel is right, but if you do go ahead keep us informed
Old 24-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #83
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
pay the fine and turn 'em off next time , according to my state rules driving light turn off with the dip switch ... you have fogs .
Old 24-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #84
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
They arent fog lights, they are "Driving" lights on our falcons.. Its in our manuals somehwere..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonohoang
They are fog lights on the XR falcon series...

On the ford ghias they are driving lights.

The BFII owner's manual clearly calls them fog lights.
Old 24-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #85
HOEBAG
Banned

About a month ago i woke up to complete fog on my way to work.
COULDNT SEE
....turned my fog lights on - bam. all the fog turned white and glared worse.
could only see about 1-2m infront of me. turning them off worked better.

Fog lights look cool if your car is parked at the drags or ur taking some pics.
I HATE fools who drive around with them on. shits me to tears..

call me pedantic!
Old 24-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #86
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Okay, your pedantic, now watch this video.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=rDdv1vVobSQ
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 24-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #87
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Seem to be alot more policing going on before the end of the financial year.. Saw three speed cameras on the way home just today..

Last edited by bangm001; 24-06-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 24-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #88
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Hahahaha! And I will not sleep till you and all your family are very hurt.. : Then ill wave! :togo:
(Just a threat for a threat, nothing too serious here..)
Your not the member for Robertson are you?? Seem of the same class calibre.
Old 24-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #89
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
put sunglasses on ...no fog.
Yep. I discovered this a while ago. It works better than any fog lights ever will.
Old 24-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #90
danthefordman
Leftyos

Quote:
Well last night after a very long day at Heathcote drags and even longer drive home, i got pulled over at a boos bus @ the hoppers crossing exit, as i was being breath tested another cop walked up to me and asked why i had my fog lights on, i explained ( calmly and nicely ) that i was driving through some bad rain just past Kilmore and towards the city on my way home from Heathcote. Asks for my license, walked towards the bus and came back and handed me a $110 fine.

Is this absolutely stupid or what? There not bright or distracting in my opinion, I've had many many BA/BF's with fog lights on behind me and they don't distract me nor are they too "bright" as the cop informed me.. those damn halogen lights are more annoying!

It may be an easy revenue raising exercise but its law and if that is the case then surey common sense would dictate that you not use them unless you are in the appropriate conditions.

As for the argument of rain back up the road.......thats like saying to a cop who has just pulled you over doing 100 in a 60 zone "......but there was a 100 zone 2km back". As far as I am concerned, the lights make no difference in clear weather to your normal headlights unless you are only looking 10 feet in front of the bonnet so why have them on at all. I'm someone who does 30000km+ a year on mostly highway driving, i can say they are very distracting and annoying to me with oncoming traffic so i applaud the fact that cops pull people up. Don't think for a minute though that i support the use of a fine. I agree it is just revenue. The cops aren't pulling you up on a matter of safety, its just easy policing, no work. Otherwise they would actively pursue drivers disobeying this law. What you normally see is some poor p plater getting pulled for rbt then they go over his car with a fine tooth comb or someone drives into an RBT blitz or someone is doing something like speeding then gets caught and has the book thrown at him for every possible infringement.