Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
pejamas
VENMXR - 2003 BA XR6

Default $110 Fine for having my fog lights on

Well last night after a very long day at Heathcote drags and even longer drive home, i got pulled over at a boos bus @ the hoppers crossing exit, as i was being breath tested another cop walked up to me and asked why i had my fog lights on, i explained ( calmly and nicely ) that i was driving through some bad rain just past Kilmore and towards the city on my way home from Heathcote. Asks for my license, walked towards the bus and came back and handed me a $110 fine.

Is this absolutely stupid or what? There not bright or distracting in my opinion, I've had many many BA/BF's with fog lights on behind me and they don't distract me nor are they too "bright" as the cop informed me.. those damn halogen lights are more annoying!

Just another Victorian Police revenue raiser?

Old 23-06-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

I say more fines for foglights!
I swear, the next stupid NNNN i have to sit behind with their rear mounted fog light on in daytime, nightime, or any time that isn't fog will find a set of steelcaps through their tail lights.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

There have been many threads on this, it's illegal to have them on except in fog.
This is the first case i have heard of actual enforcement.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

it's a bit harsh, but it is the law, I have read about them cracking down on quite a few forums.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 23-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

They are fog lights, not rain lights!
Old 23-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

They arent fog lights, they are "Driving" lights on our falcons.. Its in our manuals somehwere.. And there is no distracting proper rear fog light thing like on many 4wds on falcons or commodores.. Yes just revenue raising, I really dont see the point in having them on cars if as soon as we use them we can get a fine for it.. make them legal somehow!
Old 23-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejamas
Is this absolutely stupid or what?
Yes you are.

Quote:
There not bright or distracting in my opinion,
Your opinion ain't worth squat.

Thumbs up to the coppers, wish they would hand out more fines to these retards that think they look cool with their "foggies" on.

Dave.

(Puts flames suit on and waits patiently for backlash)
Old 23-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i agree in saying the halogen is alot worse .The fogs don't bother me either. But i turned them off after the last thread about this.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #9
davez104

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001
They arent fog lights, they are "Driving" lights on our falcons.. Its in our manuals somehwere.. And there is no distracting proper rear fog light thing like on many 4wds on falcons or commodores.. Yes just revenue raising, I really dont see the point in having them on cars if as soon as we use them we can get a fine for it.. make them legal somehow!

And you, my freind, are WRONG. If they where driving lights, they would go off when you switch to low beam. Simple as that.

Dave.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
i agree in saying the halogen is alot worse .The fogs don't bother me either. But i turned them off after the last thread about this.
Uhhhh, all headlights are halogen. H4's (OE equipment) are halogen. I think you mean either halo eye's or xenon.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #11
xb351coupe
Ped Pepper Coupe

Yep I hate the wallys that have them on in the city !!
Old 23-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #12
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate them, especially bad on 4WDs, more fines I say. Maybe even a slap across the back of the head.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
Uhhhh, all headlights are halogen. .
the sealed beams in my ZC arn't :

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 23-06-2008, 10:18 PM   #14
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate in WA it's a $300 fine, to me there are more annoying things than having Fog lights on.

I don't use mine normally but like you when going thou some bad whether or on a dark road will switch them on for some added vision, try to keep them off if i am in traffic, but at the end of the day they aren't 130W spot lights, and the falcon ones seem to be aimed somewhat OK, unlike the Holden and some Jap car's where they seem to point straight up!!
Old 23-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #15
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez104
Yes you are.

Thumbs up to the coppers, wish they would hand out more fines to these retards that think they look cool with their "foggies" on.

Dave.

and your opinion is what matters .... while everyone else is a retard! : :

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #16
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
Uhhhh, all headlights are halogen. H4's (OE equipment) are halogen. I think you mean either halo eye's or xenon.
yes that it .cheers
Old 23-06-2008, 10:21 PM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

harsh but law.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #18
pejamas
VENMXR - 2003 BA XR6

Quote:
Yes you are.

Dave.

When the rain is that bad that i have whippers on full blast and still cant see? don't really see how that's "stupid" to have the lights on so i can see somewhat better. I don't see how my opinion is worth squat and yours is though..

Edit: Actually even the lady cop that breath tested me said it was a bit harsh after he walked off?

Ill take the fine and cop it on the chin, just think in the circumstances its a bit harsh.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #19
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Quote:
And you, my freind, are WRONG. If they where driving lights, they would go off when you switch to low beam. Simple as that.

Dave.
When I find it in the manual ill post up what page they are on.. Im at work at the moment.. ;-)
Yeah understand that, i mean at the end of the day people are getting fined for it so I aint going to fight the law. But seriously, if that was the worst thing we see on our roads then we would all have nothing to worry about! Nowa days I dont want the added attention to my car so never really use them. But see people getting fined for it (especially on holdens and fords) a little overkill, and just simple revenue raising.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #20
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

A friend of Felicity's is a policewoman, and she's telling friends that from July 1, police will be enforcing this law more harshly. They have shown leniency as the law has not been well publicised but that's not no longer a concern it seems.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #21
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001
They are fog lights, you poor ignoramus!

Driving lights are fitted after market and are required to be wired so that they can only be used when your headlights are on High Beam.

Its great that people are getting fined for using their fog lights when there is no fog - more of it I say!!
Old 23-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #22
davez104

It's not my opinion guys, it's the law. They are illegal to use, don't see why everyone is surprised when they cop a fine for it. People here whinge about idiots that can't indicate, idiots that drive below the speed limit, idiots that drive over the speed limit etc etc, must just be their opinions though, nothing wrong with any of it.

PS. Should be fishing, they seem to be biting well here
Old 23-06-2008, 10:33 PM   #23
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

Quote:
When the rain is that bad that i have whippers on full blast and still cant see? don't really see how that's "stupid" to have the lights on so i can see somewhat better. I don't see how my opinion is worth squat and yours is though..

if you still cant see with the wipers on full blast then why bother with the fog lights? its not going to make any difference anyway...

Good on the police for enforcing this... i hate cars behind or oncoming with their fog lights on its annoying but distracting!
Old 23-06-2008, 10:43 PM   #24
aye you
The Origional, The Best

i find it funny, i've seen a few coppers with them going, on low beam too. No lights and sirens so it can't be to draw attention to themselves......

easiest thing to do is just turn them off people. Yes, i agree it sucks, and that most of you have them aimed only a few meters in front of you car, but as has been said, sadly, its the law.
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
Old 23-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #25
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

OHH no not another thread on lights!!!
Take it to court !!! If they are std fitted to your car..
WHY are they illegal...Yes some change the cars light globes etc...
Fog lights and Corby I'm sick of hearing about!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 23-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #26
ams77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LAM lights I call them >> Look At Me lights <<. I can't stand them either in normal daylight. I thought I was the only one that felt that way.
Am I correct in saying that white extra lights above the bumper are effectively spot lights to see better at night and if below the bumper they are fog lights to shine light under the low lying fog so you can see the road.
I've noticed that putting on full high beam lights in fog actually disorientates you as the light reflects back at you from the water particals in the fog. Just something i noticed driving on the calder Hwy to melton one night. Straining to see the white line on the edge of the road to stay on the left.
*** For Sale *** Red Flame Auto Allan Moffat Special #280
Old 23-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #27
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams77
LAM lights I call them >> Look At Me lights <<. I can't stand them either in normal daylight. I thought I was the only one that felt that way.
Am I correct in saying that white extra lights above the bumper are effectively spot lights to see better at night and if below the bumper they are fog lights to shine light under the low lying fog so you can see the road.
I've noticed that putting on full high beam lights in fog actually disorientates you as the light reflects back at you from the water particals in the fog. Just something i noticed driving on the calder Hwy to melton one night. Straining to see the white line on the edge of the road to stay on the left.
put sunglasses on ...no fog.
Old 23-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #28
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

i think its probably a waste of time to have a law like that passed, i would much rather see my tax money spent else where.
LABOR! MAKING YOU PERFECT
joke of a government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
put sunglasses on ...no fog.
LMFAO!!! CLASSIC reminds me of the blues brothers.... ;)

Last edited by XCSEDAN; 23-06-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 23-06-2008, 11:03 PM   #29
aye you
The Origional, The Best

: i think this has been done to death on here now
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
Old 23-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #30
bingoTE50
Steve

Foggies..... use in poor visibility only ...
Closed Thread