Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 29-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
Darth
Starter Motor

Default Looking at getting a Mondeo XR5

Hi all....first post.

I currently have an 04 Rex sedan and I'm in the market for a replacement, I need a bigger car, which can accomodate a toddler and a baby and something which offers more std and safety features than my rex....which shouldn't be hard to do as the rex interior is very low rent.

I have a list of vehicles I'm interested in and the Mondeo has caught my eye. I like the styling and being an ex-pom that used to work for Ford in the early 90's...I have a bit of a soft sport for the blue oval.

I have a few questions regarding the Monny, specifically the XR5 and if anyone can help, it's be appreciated.

1. Are there any known problems with the vehicle, big/small/niggles etc.. I know the car is new to Oz, but it's been out in Europe for a while now.

2. Which dealers in Melbourne are the better to deal with. I live near Elsternwick and I know there's a dealer not far away. Who should I avoid?

3. As the car is new, is there room to move on the sticker price? Has anyone got a particularly good deal? (I know the sticker price looks pretty good to begin with)

4. What's the build quality like? The Subaru has been absolutely bullet proof, I have not had one squeak or rattle in over 4 years and that's with stiffer and lower springs. The rex is my first Jap car and I can't get over how good the build quality has been compared to certain other Euro's I've owned in the past. I don't want a car that makes annoying noises.

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

P.S. Feel free to PM answers if some are contentious.

Darth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Mate..in short; JUST DO IT!

1. I think its to new to known of any issues, but I have never heard anything bad about the XR5 focus which is similar too. If I had the cash I would buy it over the current falcon for sure. Its a great car, and I would almst gaurantee that you will buy one after the test drive.

2. No idea about dealers, try talking to some of the dealerships in the sponsor section of this site. Rex Gorrell's in Geelong has a pretty good rep.

3. Highly doubt you could get any discount unless its ex-demo

4. Ive driven the previous hot mondeo (st220) and this particular car had been used for various things, it had a hard life. It was faultless, smooth, powerful and handled to well.

Again, cant stress enough, go and drive one; if you can honestly walk away and not like it then I will go jump. They handle amazingly well for a FWD car.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth
2. Who should I avoid?
The one near Elsternwick!!!!(Also owns City Ford, and Jefferson Ford)

IMHO Dealers worth trying:

New Oak
Westpoint
Bayford
Etheridge

And AFF Sponsor Strapp

Should give you good service (But the one near you may end up giving the cheapest price......but that is not always the most important thing)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Mate, just 2 hours ago I drove one, a demonstrator at Jefferson Ford S Melb. The car was STUNNING.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post