Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #1681
jay289

Default Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

Two points!!!

Rear Cameras:

Don't need them, that thing attaches you head, to your body..... I think its called a neck! actually allows you to turn you head and ******* look for yourself.

Heated Seats:

For ****s sack it is Australia, its not required here.

The Falcon is built to suit Australia not Europe .
jay289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #1682
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay289 View Post
Two points!!!
which were subjective. just because you have no use for them, don't assume others don't. I've had both, and both had their benefits.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #1683
nstg8a

My fairlane has a Rear camera, and I love it, you don't realise how big the blind spot is, until you can actually see it lol.
Now when I jump in another car and reverse I automatically look at the stereo regardless of whether it has a camera or not
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #1684
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Two points!!!

Rear Cameras:

Don't need them, that thing attaches you head, to your body..... I think its called a neck! actually allows you to turn you head and ******* look for yourself.

Heated Seats:

For ****s sack it is Australia, its not required here.

Yep, no kids go near the back of cars in Australia, ever.
Well not at your place anyhow.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #1685
nstg8a

Quote:

Explains why my hood lining is dropping, and my aircon doesn't get that cold, and my paint is sunburnt ..

The whole 'built to handle Aussie conditions' is almost as big a lie as holdens 'Aussie as football meat pies and kangaroos'.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #1686
dirtyclevo

people should have a look around before get into a car. or has everyone forgotten that?

that was part of the driving test. still applies to this day.

people are just clueless now. they'll probably come out with a sonar device, to warn you that there is another car with 100 metres of you. just to give you enough warning so you don't hit it.
dirtyclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #1687
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #1688
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

That must be why so many Australians are buying it then...

\≡≡T≡≡/
3 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #1689
dirtyclevo

this is what happens when you start marketing cars towards women,

they turn into underpowered nanny state shopping carts, full of alarms and "i can't drive for ****" sensors.
Old 21-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #1690
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

I honestly don't understand the anti-tech brigade. Yes you might not need heated seats, self parking, blind spot monitoring etc, but that doesn't mean that nobody wants them. Does your car have central locking? Air conditioning? Power windows? Imagine if everybody had your attitude. Cars these days probably wouldn't have tech we now take for granted.

It's almost as if some people here don't want the Falcon to move with the times. If so, feel free to keep driving your XK and let the rest of us join the 21st century.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #1691
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Explains why my hood lining is dropping, and my aircon doesn't get that cold, and my paint is sunburnt ..

The whole 'built to handle Aussie conditions' is almost as big a lie as holdens 'Aussie as football meat pies and kangaroos'.
Have you seen the paint and headlights on Euros? They seem to degrade alot quicker than the locals.
Aircon? Wheels mag reviewed a Mk7 Golf in 35degree heat and basically said it was ordinary at best. World Car of the Year apparently?
Same edition also has a review of a E250 and its A/C was also inadequate.
Got into a Elantra at work the other week after sitting in 40C heat. The dash was literally melting from the temperature; it was sticky like a piece of duct tape. Oh its rear headrest have also faded after only 12 months, and its A/C was also useless.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.

Last edited by XR Martin; 21-02-2014 at 11:18 PM.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 11:14 PM   #1692
dirtyclevo

i'm not anti-technology.

it just seems to me that cars are focusing more on technology that helps people that shouldn't have a license in the first place.

i'll be happy to buy the new falcon, I'm actually really keen on it.

I don't mind if it some of these technology gimmicks. but i won't take notice of them.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #1693
dirtyclevo

spots on the back bumper for reverse sensors? room for a camera? they must have one. its basically standard now, especially on a "large" car
Old 21-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #1694
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I don't care much for a lot of tech in my car but this is what sells these days. You don't have to use it if you have it, but you can't use it if it doesn't have it.

On the topic of reverse cameras. There are two cameras in most phones these days so on a car it should not be a massive expense.

I expect this may become a mandatory requirement soon given how damn big cars are now. You can only stretch your neck a certain amount.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2014, 01:31 AM   #1695
GT014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
That is one tough looking car, if it looks like that, then I'll be in line for the last XR8

Amazing work with your render
Old 22-02-2014, 04:47 AM   #1696
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford badge above grille, blue LEDs and I reckon you've nailed it!!
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2014, 06:39 AM   #1697
Taily

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
I honestly don't understand the anti-tech brigade. Yes you might not need heated seats, self parking, blind spot monitoring etc, but that doesn't mean that nobody wants them. Does your car have central locking? Air conditioning? Power windows? Imagine if everybody had your attitude. Cars these days probably wouldn't have tech we now take for granted.

It's almost as if some people here don't want the Falcon to move with the times. If so, feel free to keep driving your XK and let the rest of us join the 21st century.
Good points, but the tech itself isn't the issue. It is all well and good for people who want heated seats, self parking, apps to change the music, voice control (they must be working on thought control by now surely... or is that a little Orwellian?) etc etc, but what about those who don't want or need what are in reality just gimmicks? Safety stuff like reversing camera, blind spot monitoring etc are great standard inclusions and are very welcome inclusions as standard fare, but the lines are blurring between "need" and "want" for a lot of people now.

You don't "need" heated seats or an app to remind you to change your undies (upon reflection some actually might need something like that....), although they are nice to have. Just like I don't "need" a stonking great V8 or insane 6T to do it for me either but it sure is nice to slip behind my leather clad wheel, fire it up and sit there listening to the promise of hard in under brakes, tight on the apex and full noise on the edge of the tyres adhesion on the exit, all the while that exhaust is making the smooth sound of an angel gargling on Barry White's errrr, ummm - You young peeps probably wont understand....

What actually is needed is more focus on young driver standards and education, making them safer, more alert drivers rather than gimmicky rubbish that actually diverts their attention away from where it should be and continues to dumb down society to the point they cannot adequately control their vehicle enough to reverse park it.

Swings and roundabouts really. My thinking is that all the gimmicky stuff would be better as an option on the vehicle and the safety stuff should be incorporated when able as standard on the new car.

Now Ford, where are the pics of the XR8 I'll be buying come the end of the year?
Taily is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #1698
Taily

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post

I made that mistake just once. It was an expensive, painfull and drawn out experience and I'm glad I came back to fold and back into an Australian car now. I service my own vehicles and even I found the cost of parts for even a humble 4 year old (at the time I ditched it) VW Golf was bordering on ludicrous for windows that fell out, a/c compressor drive pin shearing (the a/c was marginal at very best from new), ECM and constant electrical issues, warping rotors (sounds almost familiar to the FG owners, myself included), trim pieces that were cheaply made and constantly fell off, door locks that broke even though they were rarely used and headlight lenses that were starting to go milky in the "harsh Newcastle sun". The list went on ad nauseum. When the engine was running long enough to actually get the car out of the driveway it went well and handled well to boot, which almost made up for that financial pain of owning it...

Nope, I understand what you are trying to say but in my experience Euro is a far more expensive long term ownership proposition than domestically produced.
Taily is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #1699
No.6

Don't like the tech or gimmicks? don't buy a car that has them. Simple.

I find reverse cameras a useful aid for seeing things below boot level and assisting with parking, particularly street parking.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #1700
I6DOHC

Looks really good Nikked, brilliant effort there. If you've got the lights right it'll be a shame to see the signature teardrops go from the XR's, but it still looks ok.

I also think after seeing the badge in the centre of the front grille, the designers might be having second thoughts about sticking it on the bonnet lip....the way you have it is perfect.
I6DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #1701
redman

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
This. The little touches in my VF make it such a hard package to go past. Little things like aircon that turns itself down when you take a call, HUD, speed limits that show up on the HUD, satnav directions displayed on the HUD, etc.

They might seem ****y, but really, the only people I hear saying those sorts of gadgets are pointless are those people trying to feel good about owning their woefully underequipped Falcons.

Honestly, unless Ford are going to sell the FH for a bargain price, why would you even look at it?
The ****y little touches in your VF do not make up for a car that lacks in engineering and design when compared to the FG. The appalling 'A' pillar blind spot, a body that only permits a 'ski hatch' instead of proper split folding read seats. Its a good thing GM (sort of) fixed the handbrake.

No amount of added on gizmos will let a VF sedan carry a new front door from Bunnings to home - with the boot closed, nor will a VF do 500km for $50 of fuel. My FG G6E EcoLPI does it easily. It is a car for driving, not for sitting in the garage playing with gadgets.

I am really looking forward the last iteration of along line and I don't care if it is FG3, FH or FZ. I really like the work from Nikked and the pics and hints from spyman03 etc. I will be in the queue come May 2015.

I don't need or want keyless entry. If it is provided I would prefer it as a 'delete-able' option. Same for heated seats - not requested and not required. These are the sorts of add-ons that when they fail (as all tech will eventually) make life difficult. Can you imagine a few years from now when your heated seats switch themselves on around noon on a balmy 40 degree day?
redman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #1702
paulvdb

Quote:
The parts Ford manufacture are some of the best parts you can buy.

And for the milkshake issue, its around 2% of cars made.

Diff bushes, well if you flog the **** out of any car things will brake!!!
I've just had my "sealed for life" gearbox serviced as it was dying (8 years old isn't life in my books).
I've had the diff mounts replaced on my Terri (only twice so far) and XR6T (3rd time due now)
I've replaced the ball joints on both cars
I've had window winder mounts replaced a squillion times on the Terri
The celiing lining is coming down in the Terri

As my gearbox guy said this week - all the manufacturers are putting in the cheapest parts they can find - and he included everyone (BMW/Merc/etc)

Neither car is flogged, both are regularly serviced - the parts are crap. I love driving my Fords when they work but they aren't as good as they should be. My next car will probably be a VF Redline V (even with all the faults showing up in that car) as many of the features in that car I like (and won't turn up in FH).

I like the looks of the FH (based on the work done by the forum) but am unwilling to risk having the same mechanical bits underneath.
paulvdb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #1703
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Spyman03 leaves and the thread goes up in flames, bring him back! We'll all pitch in and pay him if we have to.

The lot of you are sounding like 12 year old girls having a useless debate.

Top work Nikked for keeping the thread alive, renders are superb! I just hope that top grill is a little smaller.

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #1704
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman View Post
I don't need or want keyless entry. If it is provided I would prefer it as a 'delete-able' option. Same for heated seats - not requested and not required. These are the sorts of add-ons that when they fail (as all tech will eventually) make life difficult. Can you imagine a few years from now when your heated seats switch themselves on around noon on a balmy 40 degree day?

Can i ask: When Apple launched their first iphone, did you also say "this smartphone fad wont catch on?"

Technology is part of a changing world. You have every right to stick to your principles and deny it, but majory (of consumers) always win in a democracy.

Ever used a smartphone?.....soon you will have no choice.

And as for heated seats failing, ive never had heated seats fail, but ive had failures in the FG G6E.
Old 22-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #1705
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman View Post
The appalling 'A' pillar blind spot?

The VE/VF is not alone here, nor the worst. Its a factor of modern engineering. Many other cars with the same big A-pillar....(drive a jeep Wrangler, you feel like a knight...only little slots to see out off)

A little reduction in visibility has a perfect trade off in excellent passenger cell protection. Not only the A pillars have to take the weight of a car flipped over, they help transfer the energy over the passenger cell in a forward accident (instead of right through the car).

If you think that the "big" A-pillars are some sort of lazy engineering bungle, perhaps you should write to them personally and suggest they design A-pillars like this again...

I'm sure they will take you seriously and the design will offer more the acceptable passenger protection.

\≡≡T≡≡/
3 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #1706
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

So.....the summary of the last 50 odd pages of this thread is....

We all have our own reasons as to why we purchase a car. For some that is the drivetrain, for some it is the driving experience, for some it is the tech, for some it is the after sales support, for some it is how it looks for some it is a combination of all these things, for some it is......

I think we can all accept the fact that the reason why we purchase a particular car may, or may not, be similar to others, but it may not, or may, be indicative of why they (the general consumer) purchases a particular car.

Oh, and then there's about 1 page worth of sneak peek shots, info and chops that is the subject of this thread.

Can we please accept the former and get on with the latter????

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #1707
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The VE/VF is not alone here, nor the worst. Its a factor of modern engineering. Many other cars with the same big A-pillar....(drive a jeep Wrangler, you feel like a knight...only little slots to see out off)

A little reduction in visibility has a perfect trade off in excellent passenger cell protection. Not only the A pillars have to take the weight of a car flipped over, they help transfer the energy over the passenger cell in a forward accident (instead of right through the car).

If you think that the "big" A-pillars are some sort of lazy engineering bungle, perhaps you should write to them personally and suggest they design A-pillars like this again...

I'm sure they will take you seriously and the design will offer more the acceptable passenger protection.
If you have major (Comondoor VE/VF) Blind Spots when driving, you will need a "perfect trade off in excellent passenger cell protection"
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #1708
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

can we keep all future posts about the FH please, we can leave the comparisons with VF/whatever to when it's actually released. Back to information/spy shots of the FH and very little else. Don't want to have to shut the thread down.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #1709
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

more photos & info on whats coming.. less about everything else !
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #1710