Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2022, 03:02 PM   #31
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Dash Cameras

Righto, have taken ARM79’s advice and bought a Striped Cardigan of the recommended model, $148 over the counter at SCR. Even cleaned inside the windscreen early this morning in readiness. Can’t wait to have my next crash.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2022, 05:12 PM   #32
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Righto, have taken ARM79’s advice and bought a Striped Cardigan of the recommended model, $148 over the counter at SCR. Even cleaned inside the windscreen early this morning in readiness. Can’t wait to have my next crash.
Please no doof doof music while you're filming it. congrats.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2022, 05:23 PM   #33
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I almost never have music on, but frequently sing… Car is a good place to practice the difficult bits.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2022, 05:26 PM   #34
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I almost never have music on, but frequently sing… Car is a good place to practice the difficult bits.
and the singing.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2022, 06:22 PM   #35
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Navman 710..
great day/night read ability..
never needed to use it legally, but some close calls.

$110.00
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-11-2022, 06:45 PM   #36
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"Send your love my darliing...."

ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2022, 06:48 PM   #37
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
Navman 710..
great day/night read ability..
I admit, was initially disappointed with my purchase, until remembering the plastic film hadn’t been removed from the lense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Too classy. I struggle with the falsetto lift in “…life had just begun”
4 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2022, 07:04 PM   #38
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post

ha ha ha love it,
citroen you got some practice to do. LOL.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2022, 07:39 PM   #39
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I hope you are as happy with it as we are with ours. We think they are great cameras for the $$$.

Pro installation tip... The suction cup mounts are actually pretty good, they lasted near 2 years in Queensland sun before cup went hard and had problems staying attached to the glass. It seems the wiring at the camera plug end doesn't like to be pulled on and of the camera falls of the glass while driving a few bounces and tugs are enough to possibly ruin the wiring inside.

So use the suction cups to find find the right placement then permanently tape it to the window with the other supplied mounts and double sided tape.

Dad's one dropped off and ruined the cable. SG replaced the power adaptor under warranty for us very quickly. It happened again a few weeks later and we had to buy one that time.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2022, 08:12 PM   #40
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Dash Cameras

Quote:

Too classy. I struggle with the falsetto lift in “…life had just begun”
Haha love it.
There's a backstory to this song for me. A very round Greek deli owner with a pinball and jukebox, he would play this over and over to stop us playing our music and sing all the words wrong at deep greek volume. He would always threaten to call our parents and then sell us cigarettes and take all our pocketmoney with his setup.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2022, 02:04 PM   #41
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

One of those questions I have which seems to find a gap of the Internet Knowledge Base… What exactly occurs to tell a dash camera equipped with Parking Mode, to switch over? Is it a change to the status line, or a signal pulse on the +5V?
Old 29-11-2022, 02:13 PM   #42
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on the camera.

Most common I've come across is a loss of power on a switched power wire. Hardwire for these type of cameras typically requires constant power, switched power (accessories line for instance) and ground. What mode it switches itself into depends on the status of that switched power.

Some of the cameras, I think it was the basic Viofo models, used GPS to determine if the car was moving. If it stopped moving for more than X time it switched itself into a parking mode. A pretty silly and rudimentary method, but I think they have evolved since then.

From there features and quality of the parking mode itself are rather varied. From simple to very intelligent and complex.
Old 30-11-2022, 10:30 AM   #43
BFIIGhiaZF6
George
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The experience, information and willingness to help and share data in regards to the ZF cooling system options has probably cleared a lot of doubt about air/oil coolers and the ZF transmission. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Dash Cameras

What do people have?

How much was it?

Are you happy with it?

Would you buy it again?

Why/why not?

Has it ever saved you?

Gator in SCA sale in 2018 for $123.

Very happy for the price, works well, been a few close calls, they are not just for incident/accident/security, got some great driving footage along the Great Ocean Rd too.

And enroute to the Geelong AFD,

2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia I6 4L, ZF6 Auto, Ego Charcoal, Warm Charcoal.

R/Up 2019:Winner 2023:, Best BA-BF Geelong AFD.

PWR Air/Oil Cooler, K&N, Egas elbow, V8 upper F6 lower CAI.

1997 Fairmont EL Ghia Tickford 4L Auto
1985 Falcon XF GL 4.1L Auto.
1979 Fairmont XD Ghia 4.1L Auto.
1971 Cortina GL Estate 1200cc Manual.

Last edited by BFIIGhiaZF6; 30-11-2022 at 10:42 AM.
BFIIGhiaZF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2022, 11:41 AM   #44
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
Hopefully you can see it all. Simple, effective with zero intrusion.

Have just had a really helpful exchange with DCOA. They say you can punt the lighter plug completely if your DIY is up to terminating wires. (And by extension, adding fuse holders.) The inline “black box” is the first critical component.

Fifteen minutes to reply against a 24H estimate, and no hard sell/mystery/withholding. Got to rate that.
Old 20-01-2023, 11:45 AM   #45
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Noteworthy: Street Guardian’s 9665TC camera has recently gained about $100 in price.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2023, 03:18 AM   #46
MuzzMelbourne

Viofo A129 Pro Duo. 4K 30fps(HD/1080p 60fps), 256Gb MicroSD, F+R, Hard wired($30 optional kit). Comes with 3mtr micro-USB/Cig and 1mtr micro-USB/USB cables. GPS module($30 optional module). Two parking sensors, movement and shock.

I use an iOS app for remote setting and file downloads but MicroSD card can be removed and fitted to the supplied USB dongle and viewed/edited/deleted in any media editor. Files can also be viewed/deleted on camera via the 2.5" HD LCD screen. WiFi and Bluetooth with remote(optional).

Had it for 18mths. Around $320 online from Viofo in Sydney. No problems. Great for prangs(of course) but also awesome(4K video) F+R trip recorder.

Bought it because it came second to the $800 DR900X BlackVue(only 32Gb) in a 10 camera shootout by Canada's top camera supplier on YouTube and was recommended over the BlackVue for value for money. Fits up under my rear view mirror and clips in/out in 1 second for security removal.

I'd buy another no probs. My son and daughter both bought the same unit.
Old 21-01-2023, 11:33 AM   #47
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RING have also entered the dashcam space. Not available here yet, but does have some nice features for those who are already using RING cameras around their house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy4Yw8nTXAs
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2023, 11:55 AM   #48
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
RING have also entered the dashcam space. Not available here yet, but does have some nice features for those who are already using RING cameras around their house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy4Yw8nTXAs
I remember when this bloke went on Shark Tank and they all declined to invest in his company because they thought it was a waste of time, money and wouldn't amount to anything. Bet they are all kicking themselves now.

Would be interesting to see how that blends with Aussie driving laws. Can't see how it would be allowed in that design given it blocks the windscreen, in a legal sense.
Old 21-01-2023, 03:22 PM   #49
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Arguably, any cam that's in your field of view obstructs your vision. The RING seems to be positioned fairly low, and probably less of an obstruction than my current cam (just below my mirror).

I think the delay in getting it released here is probably more to do with the built-in LTE and getting approvals/etc to run it here.

Last edited by b0son; 21-01-2023 at 03:27 PM.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2023, 11:40 AM   #50
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Heavily promoted RN on Aussiecams:

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0BNV4KD2W

Too good to be true, or just decent value?
Old 20-04-2023, 01:17 PM   #51
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I recently got this unit, https://youtu.be/qSRS6dXi85M?list=PL...pTr4yR2sjjWsnO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtjZ...BnODQwcw%3D%3D very impressed.