Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #181
Sioso
irregular member

Default Re: Even hotter Kia Stinger in the works

$60K + a few options and on roads and you're looking at $70K for Kia, no thanks.
$55k driveaway yes, but unless they discount them or offer some deals that's going to be a pretty hard sell imo.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2017, 09:16 PM   #182
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
$60K + a few options and on roads and you're looking at $70K for Kia, no thanks.
$55k driveaway yes, but unless they discount them or offer some deals that's going to be a pretty hard sell imo.
With falcon gone and commodore going there isn't much choice left for brand new mid size High performance RWD cars with long warranty and cheap service at good intervals in that price range. They won't have to discount, these will move off the floor quickly.... whether they end up being a good reliable car is another story.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-08-2017, 07:53 AM   #183
Sioso
irregular member

Just the bimodal exhaust is a $2K option according to Wheels, I think it's overpriced but happy to be proven wrong.

Edit: Just read an article that said the $48,990 was for the base model twin turbo 3.3 V6, I thought that price was for the 4 cylinder and $59,990 was for the V6, should have read the article first.
So yes, at $48,990 for a twin turbo V6 it will definitely sell.

Last edited by Sioso; 11-08-2017 at 08:08 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #184
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You will be sold the minute you get beaten by a Kia.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2017, 08:52 PM   #185
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Just the bimodal exhaust is a $2K option according to Wheels, I think it's overpriced but happy to be proven wrong.

Edit: Just read an article that said the $48,990 was for the base model twin turbo 3.3 V6, I thought that price was for the 4 cylinder and $59,990 was for the V6, should have read the article first.
So yes, at $48,990 for a twin turbo V6 it will definitely sell.
The only model worth buying will be the GT. it has all the fruit with big brakes etc. The GT will be @ 64k drive away.

You get a lot of kit and tech for that money. As an exercise on paper it's much better than anything FPV have offered in terms of a performance/ value proposition. Realistically though with this being a global model offered by a cut price global brand, it would have been nice to see this offered at @55k driveaway. But as with our other global sports car offering Mustang, we always seem to get the suppository end of the deal in terms of local pricing here in Australia...... ce la vie.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 11-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #186
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

styling is nice, interior looks a w205 c-class ripoff though
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2017, 11:29 PM   #187
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
The only model worth buying will be the GT. it has all the fruit with big brakes etc.
All the V6 twin turbo trum grades get the same "big" Brembo brakes.

These are dealer leaked specs for the 3 trim levels.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #188
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day , I know they're capable , they don't look bad at all , good engine and all that but no race bred or family bred history as of yet to create a real passion like we're used to.
Most likely never will be . Rightly or wrongly Ford and Holden fans begin with growing up in a 'tribal' environment Blue or Red. Notice that bugger all other brands have a huge fan and enthusiast car club base like Ford or Holden do and there are some pretty amazing performance and enthusiasts cars out there too.
For a very long time yet ,car talk will still revolve around the old dinosaurs we know and love.
Maybe it's time for Kia and Hyundai etc to try and create a new fan loyalty in Australia so that cars like the Stinger gain a passion or maybe that's just not possible..Time will tell. Cheers Rod.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #189
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

......definitely possible without a doubt Roddy.

I like what Dylan Campbell wrote in the latest MOTOR mag .... here's a quote -

'This is a car that would wheel spin through first gear and probably into second'

Albert Biermann, the German fella who who was the BMW M Division chief engineer said with 'DSC off it's a great drifter'

His article also mentions that the Stinger GT has cutting edge chassis electronics that works with the cars power and rear drive layout - rather than against it. And he mentions it's fun to drive fast. Great article if you wanna grab a copy of MOTOR.

Aussies love their cars, for many of us our cars are our lifestyle. I think the Stinger will be embraced. It will bring on board many Holden/Ford customers and appeal to a new breed of buyer that would have never looked at the Holden/Ford brand. I think it will be great.

90% of the Ford/Holden products won't touch one of these off the line or in the mountains. I'm very much looking forward to checking one out.

chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #190
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spot on, have to move on and look forward. And not just for performance cars.

I'm wondering what will replace our Territory in a couple of years; I'm not sure a Ford Edge will cut it on the spec mentioned so far.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #191
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
..... It will bring on board many Holden/Ford customers and appeal to a new breed of buyer that would have never looked at the Holden/Ford brand. I think it will be great.

I'd take it over the Mustang ..

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 12-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #192
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day ...It's really nice and where it will drag some former Ford and Holden buyers is the RWD thing. Way more appealing than a FWD option that is now the norm. I could consider an all wheel drive (maybe) but I'd never want a front drive only car. Too set in my ways , sad but true.
I just wish Ford would give us old diehards something exciting for Mondeo like the Taurus SHO drive train with a twin turbo 3.5 litre AWD for a special Mondeo.
If that 'vision ' was ever considered , maybe the Stinger and this Insignia thing from GM might have a new breed of friendly tribal rivalry from the Blue Oval brigade.
Sadly the 2.0 Ecoboost Mondeo that is less power and way less torque than my nine year old XR6 and only FWD is an insult . It (Mondeo) is full of techy stuff , a pretty good looker , good family cart but bloody uninspiring after XR's, FPV's etc etc when it comes to fun family offerings with a real twist in the tail.
Not all of us want to buy a two door Mustang. Otherwise a limited number albeit smaller sized Focus RS at more than fifty thousand bucks to have a really nippy four door decent sized Ford again.
Apologies to Mondeo fans but the petrol 177 kw and 345 Nm and 132 kw and 400 Nm for diesel is sideways at best even compared to the N/A Barra , a long way behind compared to the big boys.
Unless you want to fork out big biscuits for a fancy Euro sedan it looks ever increasingly like Kia Stinger GT might pinch a few sales in Oz. Not for me though but no one else cares about that. Definitely not Ford that's for sure.
Cheers Rod..
Old 12-08-2017, 08:58 PM   #193
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day..Something else about the Mondeo and the Kia Stinger.. Good fuel economy both petrol and diesel I know for the Mondeo but 177 kw/345 Nm isn't anything particularly special nowadays for a two litre turbo. The 2.3 litre Focus RS gives 257 Kw and 470 Nm..Eighty kilowatts and 125 Newton metres would even be a huge addition to a special sporty Mondeo wouldn't it or is AWD only option ?
The Stinger GT.. Looks pretty good , goes pretty well but will it last the distance over time ? I hope it comes close for those who speculate on one after the sound knowledge that the former Ford sporty rear wheel drive sedans and V8 Holdens were hard to beat in that regard. It'll be interesting in the next 4-5 years to see how they stand up in the reliability and affordable maintenance regard. Will look forward to seeing a Stinger close up one day.
C'arn Ford Oz..Pull some strings and give some of us a bit of hope for a proper four door full sized fast Ford Mondeo. We're kind of accustomed to that sort of stuff and a bit of competition to the Kia Stinger GT into the bargain..
Cheers Rod..
Old 13-08-2017, 12:01 AM   #194
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
It'll be interesting in the next 4-5 years to see how they stand up in the reliability and affordable maintenance regard. Will look forward to seeing a Stinger close up one day.
Heres food for thought....
In the next 4 - 5 years the Kia would still be under factory warranty......and would have 2 years of warranty remaining!
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2017, 12:07 AM   #195
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
Spot on, have to move on and look forward. And not just for performance cars.

I'm wondering what will replace our Territory in a couple of years; I'm not sure a Ford Edge will cut it on the spec mentioned so far.
Current Gen explorer is a worthy replacement for the Territory. Edge and Everest are inferior. Pity they don't make explorer in RhD
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 12:09 AM   #196
Hawkeye84

Quote:
The only model worth buying will be the GT. it has all the fruit with big brakes etc. The GT will be @ 64k drive away.

You get a lot of kit and tech for that money. As an exercise on paper it's much better than anything FPV have offered in terms of a performance/ value proposition. Realistically though with this being a global model offered by a cut price global brand, it would have been nice to see this offered at @55k driveaway. But as with our other global sports car offering Mustang, we always seem to get the suppository end of the deal in terms of local pricing here in Australia...... ce la vie.
You will find that globally, this car is targeted at BMW, Mercedes and Audis.

But agree, for the money you are getting alot of kit - based off the leaked dealer specs. the 330 S model @ $48K- pretty much offered what XR8 was offering
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 12:43 AM   #197
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Current Gen explorer is a worthy replacement for the Territory. Edge and Everest are inferior. Pity they don't make explorer in RhD
I believe the Explorer is going to a new platform in a couple of years. Some reports suggest it will be RWD based, others say not - but all seem to suggest it will be all new nonetheless. What I think Australia really needs is the Expedition. It has better technology all around. Aluminium body, 10 speed, 2nd Gen 3.5L EcoBoost. It's based on the F150 chassis (but it has IRS), so could get the Lion 3.0L V6 diesel. They are going to make a hybrid version in a couple of years.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 09:57 AM   #198
Sioso
irregular member

I would be happier with the base model than either of the 2 higher spec models, apart from the electronically controlled suspension in the GT there are no other options that would interest me.
I could understand others wanting Nappa leather or a sunroof but as for all that autonomous crap it just means more things you have to switch off every time you start the car.
Old 13-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #199
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye84 View Post
In the next 4 - 5 years the Kia would still be under factory warranty......and would have 2 years of warranty remaining!
G'day , Yep . I really hope the new owners don't need to use the warranty for anything much . That'd be good. Bit like insurance . You have it hoping never to have to make a claim.
Stinger is a beaut for sure . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6__YsJVBYg&t=32s ..Only grizzle inside is that ridiculous I Pad looking ICC that everyone seems to be doing these days..Looks stupid whoever does it.
One day I hope our mob gives us a similar type of RWD/AWD chariot again.
I can't get interested in FWD only..Everybody is doing that these days.
Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 13-08-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 13-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #200
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye84 View Post
All depends on how Owners and KIA deal with all the pitfalls of warranty.....
I mentioned this earlier in the thread that there are always challenges with "performance" cars v the standard white goods. Warranty of a full house Stinger GT over 7 years will be quite different to a Cerato or i30 in terms of risk management and customer relationship. If the same people that bought FPV and HSV are likely to buy Stinger, then that warranty is likely to get used more than a cheap whore.....lol

I guess we'll see how KIA handles this in time.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 13-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #201
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I think the info pad has been intergrated beautifully and better than most.
Reviews have mentioned the interior definitely has a more German influence and is on a premium level the Fords haven't seen.

The warranty is the big ticket item here. I take my hat off to a company that wants to enter the performance scene and has brought a product to the table they're going to back for seven years. Remember too that you get capped price servicing and free roadside aswell.

They've done everything right so far in my book and other companies should be taking note. 40/50/60/70 plus grand is a lot of money in anyone's books. The old 3 yr/100000km warranty is not good enough when people are handing over that much hard earned.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Stinger harnesses and balances the 270kw on our roads. The good thing is this is their first model. The R&D that will continue to go into this platform is a win win for all.
Old 13-08-2017, 02:51 PM   #202
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Personally I think the info pad has been intergrated beautifully and better than most.
Reviews have mentioned the interior definitely has a more German influence and is on a premium level the Fords haven't seen.

The warranty is the big ticket item here. I take my hat off to a company that wants to enter the performance scene and has brought a product to the table they're going to back for seven years. Remember too that you get capped price servicing and free roadside aswell.

They've done everything right so far in my book and other companies should be taking note. 40/50/60/70 plus grand is a lot of money in anyone's books. The old 3 yr/100000km warranty is not good enough when people are handing over that much hard earned.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Stinger harnesses and balances the 270kw on our roads. The good thing is this is their first model. The R&D that will continue to go into this platform is a win win for all.
Sounds like you have a deposit on one. No need to keep trying to convince us it's an interesting product. It will sell itself if it's worthy.
Now, pop back on after you've picked it up and have a couple of thousand Kay's done and give us a real review.....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 13-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #203
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sounds like you have a deposit on one. No need to keep trying to convince us it's an interesting product. It will sell itself if it's worthy.
Now, pop back on after you've picked it up and have a couple of thousand Kay's done and give us a real review.....
I'm a car enthusiast and am interested in what the Stinger is bringing to the table now that the Falcon and Commodore is dead. Will I buy one.....no. I like the rawness of my F6 and it won't be going anywhere, if I was to move the F6 for anything 'performance' it would be for an RS.

Now, one thing I could do is write up the warranty repairs on the F6 in just 3 years ------ your emoticon would go from. to

Reviews after a couple of thousand kays will be predictable regarding build quality. I've got a Hyundai and the build quality shytes on Ford - that I can tell you after a combined 100000km between the two. The difference is

The real test will be after 5/10000 km and beyond on how the vehicle holds up to smashing 270kw through the drivetrain. Personally I don't think it will be an issue.

You buyin one?
Old 13-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #204
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:

You buyin one?
No sir.....
My GT serves me up the rawness and fun I want in a big GT car.
I do however have a deposit on a brand new 2017 Renault sport Megane GT. That might even spill into an RS if I can wait long enough.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 13-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #205
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No sir.....
My GT serves me up the rawness and fun I want in a big GT car.
I do however have a deposit on a brand new 2017 Renault sport Megane GT. That might even spill into an RS if I can wait long enough.
Would be an absolute no brainer for me - I'd wait
Old 13-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #206
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Would be an absolute no brainer for me - I'd wait
It will be primary transport for the master of finances and she who must be obeyed.....
I struggled as it was to get her to look and sit in the GT. I was terrified we'd end up with the ubiquitous and boring as $&@; golf...

RS won't be available for some time yet and it ain't exactly good value as a daily... but I will try !!

Anyways, we digress......

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 13-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #207
sixman

I got my RS within 3 months of placing a deposit. Rang around lots of dealers and there were quite a few cancelled orders and even some unallocated cars
Rear tyres: Toyo R888 265-30-19
3.5inch custom exhaust with imitation stock tip, PW Stage 2 cooler (black), ID 1000, XCAL3, Plazmaman intake, Herrod Spark Booster
BorgWarner EFR 9174
Autotech 420rwkw
sixman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #208
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixman View Post
I got my RS within 3 months of placing a deposit. Rang around lots of dealers and there were quite a few cancelled orders and even some unallocated cars
Lols.... I'm talking Renault Sport Megane RS.
With falcon gone and no more Local skunkworks FPV type stuff on offer from the blue oval.... it's ariverdeci Ford.

After 35 years of loyal ford ownership....Time for something different from a different manufacturer .

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 13-08-2017, 08:21 PM   #209
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
With falcon gone and no more Local skunkworks FPV type stuff on offer from the blue oval.... it's ariverdeci Ford.

After 35 years of loyal ford ownership....Time for something different from a different manufacturer .

Hey Bluey, get a mouth guard so your teeth don't rattle out.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #210
sixman

Quote:

Doh!
Both RS's are nice cars though
Rear tyres: Toyo R888 265-30-19
3.5inch custom exhaust with imitation stock tip, PW Stage 2 cooler (black), ID 1000, XCAL3, Plazmaman intake, Herrod Spark Booster
BorgWarner EFR 9174
Autotech 420rwkw
sixman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post