Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ranger Size Ram could be coming.

:WORD coming from the Automotive News USA is that RAM will build a mid-size pick up alongside the new Jeep Scrambler. Both models would be built at the recently retooled Toledo, Ohio plant.

The Scrambler is a double-cab pick-up variant of the JL Jeep Wrangler and is set to debut at the LA Auto Show in November before going into production early next year. The RAM will share the Scrambler’s separate chassis underpinning to create a mid-size truck to compete with the likes of the Toyota Tacoma, Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, and soon to be launched in the US, Ford Ranger." https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/mid...jeep-scrambler
Old 21-09-2018, 09:11 PM   #2
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ranger Size Ram could be coming.

I saw a RAM 2500 Heavy Duty today. of course, it was parked in two bays and crooked because it's too big for him to park the stupid oversized pickup...
Old 21-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yay another tank on our roads.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2018, 04:54 AM   #4
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Yay another tank on our roads.
No it's the size of the ranger

What's it matter how many big cars are on the road?

One thing that ****es me off to no end is when hybrid driving greenies complain that you"don't need" a big car, as their Prius holds 4 adults comfortably, people use their cars differently for different needs and wants

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

Anyone buying a RAM thinking they are getting a superior towing vehicle than the current available options in Australia will be very disappointed. It has pathetic payload allowance and not a great rear axle load limit.
Old 22-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Anyone buying a RAM thinking they are getting a superior towing vehicle than the current available options in Australia will be very disappointed. It has pathetic payload allowance and not a great rear axle load limit.
It will still pull the van better than the Thailand special utes - ever had a 3000-3500kg van behind a Ranger before?

They advertise they can tow circa 3500kg but it just about goes backwards when you encounter a hill, I've had the fun of moving around a 5th wheel trailer on the back of a Ranger before, the owner ditched the Ranger for a RAM 2500.

Once you start talking large vans its American utes or 200 series Land Cruiser and thats the end of the story.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
It will still pull the van better than the Thailand special utes - ever had a 3000-3500kg van behind a Ranger before?

They advertise they can tow circa 3500kg but it just about goes backwards when you encounter a hill, I've had the fun of moving around a 5th wheel trailer on the back of a Ranger before, the owner ditched the Ranger for a RAM 2500.

Once you start talking large vans its American utes or 200 series Land Cruiser and thats the end of the story.
just so you know, 3-3.5t vans aren't actually that common, and those that do have them generally have an LC200 or bigger.

they can advertise 3.5t towing, because it passes the test procedures for towing. they don't ever claim it can tow up hill at speed like there is nothing connected.

people love having a crack at the dual cabs, but they serve their purpose and are very competent vehicles. many people tow vans up around 2.8-3t with them for many thousands of km without issue.

also, the LC200 would be one of the most overrated cars on the road.
Old 22-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
just so you know, 3-3.5t vans aren't actually that common, and those that do have them generally have an LC200 or bigger.

they can advertise 3.5t towing, because it passes the test procedures for towing. they don't ever claim it can tow up hill at speed like there is nothing connected.

people love having a crack at the dual cabs, but they serve their purpose and are very competent vehicles.
many people tow vans up around 2.8-3t with them for many thousands of km without issue.

also, the LC200 would be one of the most overrated cars on the road.

No they're not, they're just cheap ladder frame chassis vehicles that they can bang out in Thailand for $7500 and you pay $75,000 for them

If it wasn't for tax incentives to own these vehicles people wouldn't buy them, they're cheap rubbish with an expensive price tag attached.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #9
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:

also, IMO the LC200 would be one of the most overrated cars on the road.
Corrected for truth....

'Cause thats all it is, your opinion, many others opinions and experience (including mine) differ hugely

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #10
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can carry the full load on the tray and still pull your max tow capacity, while using less fuel, and being able to brake while carrying the weight.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Corrected for truth....

'Cause thats all it is, your opinion, many others opinions and experience (including mine) differ hugely
it is a very good car, don't get me wrong, but yes, I do think its overrated and i'm not alone. It has a tiny 610kg payload, and reasonably soft rear springs for a comfy ride. It may tow 3.5t but that will use up a lot of the available payload, once you factor in fuel, driver etc.

a fair percentage of LC owners probably just don't care about the legal side of things while they fit the entire ARB catalogue to their car, or they modify it so that it can actually legally cope with what they want to do.

the same people that ridicule the dual cabs point to the LC200 as being a far superior option, but the specs just don't add up to justify the hype. It may be better for some, but not by the margin its reputation would suggest.

….in my opinion
Old 22-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #12
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

No they're not, they're just cheap ladder frame chassis vehicles that they can bang out in Thailand for $7500 and you pay $75,000 for them
To be fair, that statement could also apply to the American trucks too.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
I saw a RAM 2500 Heavy Duty today. of course, it was parked in two bays and crooked because it's too big for him to park the stupid oversized pickup...
If it wasnt for the crazy price tags, which are generally justified, then id love a duel cab RAM size ute/pick up (whatever!) with a bench seat in the front.

The perfect vehicle that would do a bit of everything and the beds are a decent size too.

All these years I thought the Yanks were crazy but the things are so darn practical.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2018, 10:39 PM   #14
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post

Can carry the full load on the tray and still pull your max tow capacity, while using less fuel, and being able to brake while carrying the weight.
So aerodynamic, and comfortable sitting right above the axle.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2018, 02:46 AM   #15
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it just me or is FCA like gm in saying a lot but actually not delivering any new platforms? Last one being 2019 ram and the Giorgio platform

Just seems quiet with a lot of refreshes for small cars.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #16
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
it is a very good car, don't get me wrong, but yes, I do think its overrated and i'm not alone. It has a tiny 610kg payload, and reasonably soft rear springs for a comfy ride. It may tow 3.5t but that will use up a lot of the available payload, once you factor in fuel, driver etc.

a fair percentage of LC owners probably just don't care about the legal side of things while they fit the entire ARB catalogue to their car, or they modify it so that it can actually legally cope with what they want to do.

the same people that ridicule the dual cabs point to the LC200 as being a far superior option, but the specs just don't add up to justify the hype. It may be better for some, but not by the margin its reputation would suggest.

….in my opinion
Love my dual cabs, best thing since sliced bread i reckon, got my first in 1981 (ex mining HJ47 crew cab) and now have a VDJ97R, great vehicles although not the dual cabs in question me thinks....

Anyhow i wouldn't put the LC200 and most dual cabs in the same catagory, the potential buyer for either would more than likely not be comparing the two, one been basically a mid to large sized ute and the other an Extra-large SUV, different market with a big difference in price.....

......all my opinion to

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 23-09-2018, 01:44 PM   #17
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Corrected for truth....

It might be his option, but it is correct, the LC 200 is the most overrated 4wd in Australia. No where else in the world do they have the same "cult like" following as they do in Australia.
Old 23-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #18
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
It might be his option, but it is correct, the LC 200 is the most overrated 4wd in Australia. No where else in the world do they have the same "cult like" following as they do in Australia.
All your saying mate is that your opinion is the correct one, you do know what that sounds like don't ya?

Old 23-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #19
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:

If it wasn't for tax incentives to own these vehicles people wouldn't buy them, they're cheap rubbish with an expensive price tag attached.
So I should sell my Ranger?
Because your 5L VS Statesman will tow my work trailer better, carry more paint drums, an airless sprayer and a heap of planks, ladders etc better.
Really, some people should just keep their opinions to themselves.
My dual cab Ranger does everything I ask of it.
Including towing my 2.5t boat, or near 3t caravan and bikes and all the stuff that goes with a family trip away.
A V8 sedan doesn't suit MY needs, and won't do what a dual cab DOES.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt

Last edited by RANGEREST; 23-09-2018 at 05:18 PM.
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2018, 06:00 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
:WORD coming from the Automotive News USA is that RAM will build a mid-size pick up alongside the new Jeep Scrambler. Both models would be built at the recently retooled Toledo, Ohio plant.

The Scrambler is a double-cab pick-up variant of the JL Jeep Wrangler and is set to debut at the LA Auto Show in November before going into production early next year. The RAM will share the Scrambler’s separate chassis underpinning to create a mid-size truck to compete with the likes of the Toyota Tacoma, Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, and soon to be launched in the US, Ford Ranger." https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/mid...jeep-scrambler
I looked up the last generation Dodge Dakota mid sized pick up that ended in 2009
it looks to be similar width as Tacoma - about 60-70 mm wider than Ranger and Colorado...

So I'm wondering if next generation Ranger is going to grow a little wider and become
a bit more roomier and more comfortable......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post