Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Thought on increasing Falcons visibility as a model...

Yes, yet another thread about marketing bloody Falcons...

Watching TV this morning, I had a sudden thought.
It was the latest Commodore advert...for the "Z series" special edition. I then remembered that not that long ago they were pushing the "Red Plate" editions. There was something else before that too.

Is this where Ford is missing out? Many years ago, a lot of makers, Ford included, used to have ongoing ad campaigns about "special editions", that were normal models...sometimes lower end models...with a couple of small additions to them (like a option being now "standard") and a good advertising campaign, you get the people in the doors and make the model more visible.

It goes back a long way...Holden was always very successful with their "Vacationer" special wagons that they would bring out every couple of years. One of our neighbours religiously bought a new one every two years, and I think apart from a sticker saying "Vacationer" and standard instead of optional air conditioning (and, I think, cloth seats instead of vinyl) they were a basic Kingswood or, later, Commodore.
Not only that, but second hand they were very sought after as well, because the model was very visible, and everyone knew that for the money they were going o be getting a good deal, better than a"normal" Kingswood/Commodore, so it helps second hand sales as well.

Falcon used to do similar with the "Family model" Falcon sedan and wagon (though never really as successfully as the "Vacationer" Holdens...I think they missed the bus, but they did have the X-Pack which was very popular). I remember actually looking at one in 1982, an XE sedan, which had standard instead of optional air con, but had vinyl seats (bench seat front I recall for six seats) and some striping stickers on the side. It was priced at about $11,000 I think when a "normal" Falcon optioned with air con would have been nearer $12,000. I think Ford was counting on selling volume.

So maybe it's time for Ford to learn from the past (it's own and Holden with the Vacationer), take a base model Falcon, slap on a few stickers and maybe a couple of smaller options (like window tint, headlight protectors and maybe a towbar), maybe even have no-cost-extra metallic paint package or something, and widely advertise it as a special model at a keen price. Trust me...people will notice...they have in the past, and they do at the moment with the various Commodore "special editions".

Of course, this is predicated on Ford actually being interested in selling the Falcon in the first place...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 20-10-2012 at 12:00 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Thought on increasing Falcons visibility as a model...

I don't think the product is the problem. In fact, it's always been a very good product to some extent.. the problem is the perception that the Ford Falcon is second best to the Holden Commodore.

Part of that falls on the fact that Holden have done an exceptional job at establishing the Commodore as Australia's favourite car. And the fact, Ford has done absolute nothing to distinguish the fact.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The product isnt the problem no, the problem is generating buyer interest in the car. Forget Holden v Ford and all that, these days the Falcon's competitors are every bit as much a hatchback or SUV as a COmmodore.

So getting back to the OP. A "special" or dealer pack you say? They ran the Falcon SR pack in the BA and BF days and they were quite successful. Forget things like towbars and headlight protectors - things like that don't generate buyer interest and you can get them from anywhere. No, what will generate some buyer interest is some additional features and a nicer appearance.

Using the XT as a base (as they did with the BA and BF SR's) you could add leather appointed seats, some 17in rims, a modest skirt and spoiler kit and say the colour ICC screen from FGI high series models (so that's not the 8 inch touch screen) and pitch it at say, $34,990 drive away. The XT already comes as standard with curtain airbags, rear parking sensors, DSC and iPod/Bluetooth connectivity so it would end up being quite a well appointed car.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin

Last edited by Road_Warrior; 20-10-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Price change
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
BigBlue

Sort of related...watching TV late last night and on comes an ad for the FPR Falcon with Alan Moffat in the drivers seat.

Brilliant car and great ad but why so late?

Maybe Ford do need to take a lead from Holden and use "limited edition" variants like the Commodore "Vacationer" from a few years back.
A base car with a few bells and whistles.

Peter.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they need to grab any small win they have and into it marketing wise.F I now that fuel has hit 150+ crank some ecoboost and diesel terry adds.Also they need to do a mine spec terry pack have you seen how many jap mine spec cars are out there.

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not trying to have a dig, but you're looking at this from completely the wrong way 2011G6E. The Holden vs. Ford arguement no longer matters, nobody cares anymore except people who never deviated away from the Falcon or the Commodore, the general public hates both cars at this stage. The problem is that these kind of cars are not relevant to families anymore and there are no new buyers coming to either Falcon or Commodore, so bringing in people who may have never even considered one before is what's important, but your suggestions aren't gonna do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Watching TV this morning, I had a sudden thought.
It was the latest Commodore advert...for the "Z series" special edition. I then remembered that not that long ago they were pushing the "Red Plate" editions. There was something else before that too.

Is this where Ford is missing out?
Because the Commodore is selling so well this year?? Because families are flocking to Holden showrooms to buy a Z-series? Ford aren't missing out on anything because neither the Redline or the ZZZZZZZ pack will do anything to increase sales or attract new buyers. It may encourage someone to trade in their VE1 for a VE2 but not much more than that. The only people left buying the VE are the SA Government and Holden fans who never stopped buying them.

Quote:
Many years ago, a lot of makers, Ford included, used to have ongoing ad campaigns about "special editions", that were normal models...sometimes lower end models...with a couple of small additions to them (like a option being now "standard") and a good advertising campaign, you get the people in the doors and make the model more visible.
I agree about giving the model more presence, but the XT already has just about everything a Mazda 3 has, if not more, so the equipment levels aren't the reason why people don't buy full size Aussie cars anymore.

Quote:
It goes back a long way...Holden was always very successful with their "Vacationer" special wagons that they would bring out every couple of years. One of our neighbours religiously bought a new one every two years, and I think apart from a sticker saying "Vacationer" and standard instead of optional air conditioning (and, I think, cloth seats instead of vinyl) they were a basic Kingswood or, later, Commodore.
Not only that, but second hand they were very sought after as well, because the model was very visible, and everyone knew that for the money they were going o be getting a good deal, better than a"normal" Kingswood/Commodore, so it helps second hand sales as well.
Falcon and Commodore are currently the hardest cars to sell, both new and used. Depreciation is pretty bad right from the G6E/Calais all the way down to XT and Omega. A few decals won't do anything to help that. They are not sought after vehicles in general anymore.

Quote:
Falcon used to do similar with the "Family model" Falcon sedan and wagon (though never really as successfully as the "Vacationer" Holdens...I think they missed the bus, but they did have the X-Pack which was very popular). I remember actually looking at one in 1982, an XE sedan, which had standard instead of optional air con, but had vinyl seats (bench seat front I recall for six seats) and some striping stickers on the side. It was priced at about $11,000 I think when a "normal" Falcon optioned with air con would have been nearer $12,000. I think Ford was counting on selling volume.

So maybe it's time for Ford to learn from the past (it's own and Holden with the Vacationer), take a base model Falcon, slap on a few stickers and maybe a couple of smaller options (like window tint, headlight protectors and maybe a towbar), maybe even have no-cost-extra metallic paint package or something, and widely advertise it as a special model at a keen price. Trust me...people will notice...they have in the past, and they do at the moment with the various Commodore "special editions".
I can see where you're coming from, but 'looking at one in 1982' is the key phrase here. Maybe an old guy who has always bought Falcons might notice. Equipment levels aren't the problem, all models in the Falcon range are well equipped.

Stickers or plastic protectors aren't gonna do anything to attract *new* buyers to Falcon. Attracting *new* buyers is what's important, not keeping the old ones. At the moment the only private buyers of the Falcon are people who've always owned them. To increase sales the vehicle needs to be made more relevant to a wider range of people...either by changing the car in the next model cycle or coming up with a much more clever advertising campaign to trick people into thinking it's relevant to them.

People need to know what advantages buying and owning a Falcon has over buying a Santa Fe or a Mazda 3 in order to get them into the showroom. This is what Falcon marketing needs to address. The days of the Falcon being everything for everyone are no more.

Last edited by Ford_The_Win; 20-10-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue
Maybe Ford do need to take a lead from Holden and use "limited edition" variants like the Commodore "Vacationer" from a few years back.
A base car with a few bells and whistles
and the mob here will complain endlessly that it is just a sticker pack with heated seats
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Ford have done plenty of "special editions" on the most popular selling variant of FG Falcon model, the XR6. How many more do they need?

Plus at least 1 special edition G6 as well (was there 2 in fact??).

Sure they're not advertised as heavily as the Commodore, but they exist.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

If you look at young families these days who traditionally use to buy the sedans & wagons are now not interested any more, especialy when you have the family movers, SUV's and twin cabs 4x4.

To tell you the truth I will not buy a sedan or wagon any more, out dated use....
The only reason they were popular years ago because there was not much competition but now it is another ball game since there is a whole range/type vehicles to choose from.

Times are changing.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with the great adverts for the top end FPV and GT models...but sorry, you aren't going to shift volume sales by advertising $70,000 models. You shift volume by giving the "normal" buyer a bargain.
Mr Ordinary and his family are going to see the GT adverts, think "sweet car", but just keep on flipping channels. Catchy adverts like Holden does with the red plate and Z series specials are what gets the general public into dealerships.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Catchy adverts like Holden does with the red plate and Z series specials are what gets the general public into dealerships.
Hah, what? No it doesn't, it might have in 1990, but not these days!

Old 20-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
weemankai

Petrol saving family cars are what the majority of the new car buyers are after. Falcons and Commos go to the rev heads that will buy them whether there is an advertisement or not!
weemankai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

We get back to this seeming pot hole of fans thinking that Ford is not advertising Falcon enough but,
that seems to be cart before horse, most buyers these days prefer other vehicles that suit their needs better.
So what's the point in diverting advertising money away from areas where imported cars may be more profitable.

And on the subject of EcoLPI and Ecoboost, Ford received a govt grant to develop those versions and as such,
those cars probably owe them very little in terms of return on investment, V6 diesel is absolute gold.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Ford have done plenty of "special editions" on the most popular selling variant of FG Falcon model, the XR6. How many more do they need?

Plus at least 1 special edition G6 as well (was there 2 in fact??).

Sure they're not advertised as heavily as the Commodore, but they exist.
That's what I was thinking. Ford is always doing limited edition packs. What's the point of this thread?
Old 20-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
4stanger